Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

User avatar
kaquino
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby kaquino » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:56 pm

Hello!

I just completed my the Powerscore Live Online LSAT Prep Course. I plan on taking the LSAT in Feb, and I decided I would feel much more comfortable in taking another prep course between now and the Feb LSAT. I'm debating if I should retake the Powerscore Live Online prep course again, or try another company.

I did fine with Powerscore, the outside homework was overwhelming (as to be expected), but looking at the other LSAT prep courses, I find myself tempted to see what they have to offer.

Is this going to mess me up? I'm nervous if I pick another company, I'm going to get confused learning another company's techniques.

Have any of you tried two different prep courses, and if so, would you recommend doing it? Or just stick to the one?

Thanks!

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Move on, but if and only if its Manhattan LSAT. Seriously, they are the best.

blackandstrong
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby blackandstrong » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:30 pm

BlaqBella wrote:Move on, but if and only if its Manhattan LSAT. Seriously, they are the best.


M <------> Ma

LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist. BlaqBella made me!

User avatar
BlaqBella
Posts: 869
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:41 am

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby BlaqBella » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 pm

blackandstrong wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Move on, but if and only if its Manhattan LSAT. Seriously, they are the best.


M <------> Ma

LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist. BlaqBella made me!


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Manhattan will be proud. :mrgreen:

User avatar
kaquino
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby kaquino » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:36 pm

blackandstrong wrote:
BlaqBella wrote:Move on, but if and only if its Manhattan LSAT. Seriously, they are the best.


M <------> Ma

LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist. BlaqBella made me!


I don't get it.

I'm looking for real answers here. I'm not exactly so eager on dropping another $1000 on a course without hearing some responses from members who have been in my situation before, and decided to either stick with the course they were doing, or picking another company.

User avatar
AKsnow
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:41 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby AKsnow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:32 pm

I took the PS live online course as well. I would do Manhattan. I picked up their guides for a retake and have been very pleased with my improvement from them alone. No question they have been better than PS for me.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:53 pm

kaquino wrote:Hello!

I just completed my the Powerscore Live Online LSAT Prep Course. I plan on taking the LSAT in Feb, and I decided I would feel much more comfortable in taking another prep course between now and the Feb LSAT. I'm debating if I should retake the Powerscore Live Online prep course again, or try another company.

I did fine with Powerscore, the outside homework was overwhelming (as to be expected), but looking at the other LSAT prep courses, I find myself tempted to see what they have to offer.

Is this going to mess me up? I'm nervous if I pick another company, I'm going to get confused learning another company's techniques.

Have any of you tried two different prep courses, and if so, would you recommend doing it? Or just stick to the one?

Thanks!



Look. I've been in almost you're exact same position earlier this year. Took Powerscore before June, went from 153-->160 on the real thing. Decided to change it up, took Manhattan Online Course. Got a 169 in October. Take Manhattan. You will not regret it. And it won't mess up what you've already learned, it'll only help you score better. Message me if you have any more questions. Good luck

User avatar
bobbypin
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby bobbypin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:55 pm

I don't know why there is so much love here for Powerscore. I took the PS full online class. It didn't work for me. Read the MLSAT books and something clicked. Try the books first before you plunk down another grand for a class.

User avatar
Teflon_Don
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby Teflon_Don » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Also, I think you can sit in on a Manhattan course for free for the first session if you want. Look into that.

Cheers

User avatar
kaquino
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby kaquino » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm

How did it not mess any of you up? Are their techniques the same? What's so different from your Powerscore experience from the Manhattan one?

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby bp shinners » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:54 pm

Teflon_Don wrote:Also, I think you can sit in on a Manhattan course for free for the first session if you want. Look into that.

Cheers


This is definitely what you should do. The instructor is going to be the most important factor in this.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:07 pm

The Manhattan approach is just so much more intuitive than PS. PS is good in certain ways, but it can be too mechanical. Once you read the Manhattan books, you will see why everyone is recommending them. If you do not know why the above posters posted the "M<---->MA" joke, you quite frankly probably haven't studied for the LSAT enough. That is how you diagram an if and only if conditional statement.

User avatar
bizzybone1313
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Re: Second prep course, stay w/Powerscore, or move on?

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:15 pm

The Manhattan guides compliment very nicely the techniques from PS. Manhattan gives you another way to think about questions. At the end of the day, why do you keep missing flaw, assumption or whatever type of questions you keep missing? It is because you do not understand the concept behind those type of questions. Once I was exposed to Manhattan's way of thinking to assumption questions, I finally understood the real difference between necessary and sufficient and started nailing those questions. You won't get confused. Trust me. Your thinking will just become more complete and the light bulb will go off in your head. As far as their LG, some of their approaches are good and others not so much in my opinion. Pick and choose techniques that work for you and not anyone else.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests