Just found out I can't wear earplugs for LSAT - what to do??

KFV

Just found out I can't wear earplugs for LSAT - what to do??

Postby KFV » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:18 am

Hi, lurked here for a while. I came across this thread, which states we can't wear earplugs during the LSAT, and I had a question.

Basically, I have severe ADHD and one of the ways I cope with this is I wear earplugs during tests. I've done this for years. I've already started doing my practice tests without earplugs but I don't think that's enough to simulate the real situation because my home is still pretty quiet. Any suggestions at all? Doing tests at Starbucks and the like won't help because, as someone with ADHD, there's just no way I'd be able to focus at all in that situation and it would be a waste of time. So what should I do? Both to prepare, and on the test day?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

312ldn

Re: Just found out I can't wear earplugs for LSAT - what to do??

Postby 312ldn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:18 am

That's strange. When I took the lsat in London last year the guy sitting next to me was wearing earplugs. Nobody said anything to him.

ScottRiqui

Postby ScottRiqui » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:23 am

312ldn wrote:That's strange. When I took the lsat in London last year the guy sitting next to me was wearing earplugs. Nobody said anything to him.

Some proctors are stricter than others, but earplugs are definitely on the "prohibited" list.

M458

Postby M458 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:29 am

KFV wrote:Hi, lurked here for a while. I came across this thread, which states we can't wear earplugs during the LSAT, and I had a question.

Basically, I have severe ADHD and one of the ways I cope with this is I wear earplugs during tests. I've done this for years. I've already started doing my practice tests without earplugs but I don't think that's enough to simulate the real situation because my home is still pretty quiet. Any suggestions at all? Doing tests at Starbucks and the like won't help because, as someone with ADHD, there's just no way I'd be able to focus at all in that situation and it would be a waste of time. So what should I do? Both to prepare, and on the test day?

Go to the nearest library and take a PrepTest there--closest experience to the "real thing" that I can think of.

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 am

KFV wrote:Hi, lurked here for a while. I came across this thread, which states we can't wear earplugs during the LSAT, and I had a question.

I have an issue with ADHD and distractions due to noise as well. However, when I took the Oct 2012 test, it was scarily quiet. Plus, I was so amped up on adrenaline, I only heard my own thoughts. It may not be as bad as you think.

Postby 06102016 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:16 am

KFV

Postby KFV » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:42 am

M458 wrote:Go to the nearest library and take a PrepTest there--closest experience to the "real thing" that I can think of.

That's what I've been doing. Not ideal, as sometimes people talking on there cellphones in there -__- But I guess it's better to err on the side of more distractions.

bobbypin wrote:I have an issue with ADHD and distractions due to noise as well. However, when I took the Oct 2012 test, it was scarily quiet. Plus, I was so amped up on adrenaline, I only heard my own thoughts. It may not be as bad as you think.

Awesome. That's definitely reassuring to hear. Thanks for the reply.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:07 am

Stupid question, but especially for LR/RC can't you just hold your hands against your ears? I would do this occasionally to really concentrate if I was testing in a noisy environment

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Br3v wrote:Stupid question, but especially for LR/RC can't you just hold your hands against your ears? I would do this occasionally to really concentrate if I was testing in a noisy environment

This may not work if you're an active reader. I personally like to mark up the test for RC and for harder LR questions (especially for those conditional logic questions). Either way, its good to practice in noisy settings.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”