Hmmm... should I back out of taking the test this weekend?

TiberiusTyrone

Hmmm... should I back out of taking the test this weekend?

Postby TiberiusTyrone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:00 am

Okay, well I thought my studying was going to cut it... but looking at the way everyone else has been studying, I can say it was most likely insufficient. And if you too find that I might as well cancel... what could you advise I do differently for studying?

My diagnostic was 151... took it about two months ago. However, I only started really studying in the last 6 weeks before the test. I read Manhattan's LR, LG, and RC books (but only took a look at RC book last week) and I also took a look at PS for logic games. I've been drilling LR with Kaplan's Mastery book and drilled LG's from about PT1-20 and from PT50-60.

And so... my goal was 168 to 172, but I was quite disheartened to find out that when I took two PT's (62 and 63) yesterday and today, I was only able to score 162 on both... and it felt like torture with the timing element, for everything I learned seem to wash away... basically everything (except for LG) was going completely on gut instinct so that I could answer all the questions within 35 minutes. But I was missing lots of questions even on LG... rough stuff.

For PT62, LR: -11; LG: -9; and RC: -6
For PT63, LR: -11; LG: -5; and RC: -7

...I'm guessing that miracles are not going to happen and I won't magically get lucky and score somewhere b/t a 168 to 172 this weekend... so would you feel it wise to just cancel now and not waste my time just to get maybe a 164 if I'm lucky... and if not... perhaps a 158, lol???

And if any of you have any advice... how can I actually improve myself for perhaps a Feb. test? I mean... I don't see how additional studying is really going to skyrocket me into those higher scores. With the time element, it seems as though I need to let go... and when I let go, I can't think straight. I mean using lsatqa.com, I find it funny that while I get many difficult questions right, I may end up missing many more easier questions. And for most of the test, I cannot explain fully why I chose one answer over another. I don't feel anything clicking and all I feel is confusion mixed with... I'll say to myself, "I guess that feels right, but I'm not absolutely sure why that other choice was wrong and I better keep moving since time is ticking away." Would continual drilling make it eventually click... because this stuff feels rough and when you put in a timed PT, even rougher...

bp shinners

Re: Hmmm... should I back out of taking the test this weekend?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:27 pm

TiberiusTyrone wrote:I don't see how additional studying is really going to skyrocket me into those higher scores. With the time element, it seems as though I need to let go... and when I let go, I can't think straight.

I think everything here is incorrect.

Additional studying, especially taking PTs (of which it seems you took only a handful), will hugely benefit you. With 6 weeks of hard studying, you improved by ~12 points, which is a huge jump. So good job there!

What you need to work on is getting better at using the methods you've developed under a time limit. Throwing them out and 'letting go' is the worst thing you can do - you might as well have not even bothered to develop methods, if that's the case. Sticking to those methods takes time at first, and it's going to create a time crunch for you on the sections. The answer isn't to throw the methods out, however - it's to get more efficient/faster at them.

Right now, your brain isn't used to going from question-type to question-type for an entire test. You also don't have the methods loaded into your RAM, so to speak, so that you can instantly call upon it and use it for the question as it comes up. Getting to this point is what your studies should be focused on now - this will make you faster AND improve your accuracy (since instead of going by your gut you'll be using logic to answer the questions).

Personally, to me, it sounds like you haven't taken enough PTs to sit for the exam this weekend. You really need at least 4 or 5 after finishing the initial method-learning portion of your studies. Even 4 or 5 is a little low. But I think there's definitely hope that more studying will lead to the score you desire.

alex.feuerman

Postby alex.feuerman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:48 pm

You should NOT sit for the exam if you are averaging a 162. The problem is do you want to apply this cycle or next cycle? Because applying early makes a huge difference. If you're set on this cycle maybe take it, apply and then re-take on february and send your scores.
Last edited by alex.feuerman on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ex Cearulo

Postby Ex Cearulo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:31 pm

There's also something to be said for getting the experience of taking the actual LSAT.

Overall, though, your decision should be based on a few things:
1) Are you dead set on applying this cycle and starting law school next fall? If yes, take the December LSAT. You will only be hurting yourself by waiting until the Feb LSAT and applying so late in the cycle. Apply with your December scores, then re-take in Feb if necessary and send that score as soon as its available.
2) What schools are you interested in attending? If you're T14-or-bust, then there's no point in taking the LSAT now when you are almost guaranteed to get a <165 and you're applying so late in the cycle . Wait, study your ass off, take it June '13 (maybe Feb '13 if you're feeling prepared with the option of re-taking in June), and apply next cycle. However, if you're not set on the T14 and will likely get accepted to your target schools with a ~160, then reference #1).

HTH. Cheers,
HD

ksllaw

Postby ksllaw » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:53 pm

I wouldn't take the LSAT unless I felt I had a good shot at getting my dream score.

I pulled out of the Oct. 6 LSAT for that reason. Wasn't prepared and I'm actually not even taking the Dec. 1 LSAT. I realized my mind was focused on too many other things and wasn't really prepared to do my best. I'm in a better place now and prepping with more clarity and focus, so I will be waiting until next year to apply to LS and wlll take the LSAT next year when I'm ready.

I felt it just wasn't worth it to take the LSAT unprepared and to get a poor score.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Ellipses aren't periods, you ignorant slut.

Hold off on the test. Just getting used to the timing will be a huge score increase for you.

TiberiusTyrone

Postby TiberiusTyrone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 pm

^Lol... stream of consciousness... also, a very bad habit. Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I don't plan on applying to law school for another two years, but I just wanted to get it out of the way now. Obviously, I've only discovered that this test requires a lot more dedication to get those desired scores. Do basically all the people who want 170+ put in months and months of studying? If anything, I think a high score on the LSAT is not merely about showing competence, but also indicative of a sincere dedication and willingness to slug it on out through law school.

Yeah... I graduated with a very strong GPA (3.95+) from a top20 undergraduate institution and majored both in the sciences and humanities and I think it's best maybe not to taint my record with a bad score... if only I could bring it up to the 170's!!!

It seems as though it's the timing. Okay, I don't throw out everything... but when I read an LR question and try to run through the process and the answer does not pop up right then and there, I panic and swing into gut-mode. I do this for about 50% of the LR currently. For RC... I don't understand. On some passages, I am able to get the gist and on others... I am lost when they have questions with answer choices that seem extremely similar to one another, especially when I lack the structural understanding of the passage (of course, I only started practicing RC last week... so maybe with drilling, it will inevitably come?). And finally in LG, if I run behind in time, then it's panic mode, since I need to get to that final game...

Will drilling alone (without timing myself so that I ensure accuracy and complete understanding) allow me to improve my time slowly? Or should I drill and time myself so that I force myself into perhaps becoming more efficient and even though I might miss more questions in the beginning, the accuracy will eventually improve?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:36 pm

TiberiusTyrone wrote:^Lol... stream of consciousness... also, a very bad habit. Yeah, I guess it makes sense. I don't plan on applying to law school for another two years, but I just wanted to get it out of the way now. Obviously, I've only discovered that this test requires a lot more dedication to get those desired scores. Do basically all the people who want 170+ put in months and months of studying? If anything, I think a high score on the LSAT is not merely about showing competence, but also indicative of a sincere dedication and willingness to slug it on out through law school.

Yeah... I graduated with a very strong GPA (3.95+) from a top20 undergraduate institution and majored both in the sciences and humanities and I think it's best maybe not to taint my record with a bad score... if only I could bring it up to the 170's!!!

It seems as though it's the timing. Okay, I don't throw out everything... but when I read an LR question and try to run through the process and the answer does not pop up right then and there, I panic and swing into gut-mode. I do this for about 50% of the LR currently. For RC... I don't understand. On some passages, I am able to get the gist and on others... I am lost when they have questions with answer choices that seem extremely similar to one another, especially when I lack the structural understanding of the passage (of course, I only started practicing RC last week... so maybe with drilling, it will inevitably come?). And finally in LG, if I run behind in time, then it's panic mode, since I need to get to that final game...

Will drilling alone (without timing myself so that I ensure accuracy and complete understanding) allow me to improve my time slowly? Or should I drill and time myself so that I force myself into perhaps becoming more efficient and even though I might miss more questions in the beginning, the accuracy will eventually improve?

Seriously, stop with the fucking ellipses. It's not just a bad habit, it's pure shit, you look like a 12 year old girl on AIM, and you aren't even using it right.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:46 pm

U....mad....bro?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 pm

kalvano wrote:U....mad....bro?

Clearly.

TiberiusTyrone

Postby TiberiusTyrone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:18 pm

Sorry man... ellipses are here to stay :)

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 am

TiberiusTyrone wrote:Sorry man... ellipses are here to stay :)

And I, for one, am glad. How else are we going to weed out the ignoramuses? ;-)

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:19 am

TiberiusTyrone wrote: I don't plan on applying to law school for another two years

This is your answer. You have another 1+ years to raise your score, so you should sit this one out. Don't waste one of your 3 chances until you are ready for the test.

It seems you already have the basics down so I'm not sure drilling alone will help, except for maybe RC since you just started working on that last week.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm

This thread..... delivers

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:35 pm

Please see the Moderator thread if you'd like to be educated on suspension points and to witness my sick style guide beat-down of a Megaposter

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:42 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Please see the Moderator thread if you'd like to be educated on suspension points and to witness my sick style guide beat-down of a Megaposter

Yeah. Totally sick beat down.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Thanks brotherman

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 am

laxbrah420 wrote:Please see the Moderator thread if you'd like to be educated on suspension points and to witness my sick style guide beat-down of a Megaposter

I got your back, bro.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”