JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:56 pm

I'm down for review on Saturday as well. Today I did all of the In and Out games from Cambridge, any remaining will be used in death PTs, total -2, but still pleased, with the results.

p4, (7:41), level 2, 8Q,
p5, (7:54), level 2, 6Q,
p6, (7:08), level 2, 7Q, -1, stupid mistake
p7, (6:41), level 2, 6Q,
p8, (7:39), level 2, 6Q,
p9, (7:42), level 3, 6Q
p10, (6:28), level 3, 6Q, -1, noted this game on the previous page, PT23, S1, G2, think it's worth taking a look
p11, (8:33), level 3, 6Q
p12, (6:04), level 4, 7Q, the notorious bird watching game, I once thought this game was awful, but this time around, given I've seen it at least twice, first using powerscore, second using Manhattan, this time I just used conditional chains, thought it was weak sauce.
p13, (7:03), level 4, 6Q

Meant to do more, but I'm tired, PT 39 in the morning, shooting for a 93 raw score.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:04 am

so after that shit pt yesterday, im back with renewed motivation. time is almost a non issue with lg--strictly working on technique and exposure now more than anything else. just section after section/redoing old ones. feeling really good about lg progress with 2 -1 sections today (if u wanna check out a tricky game pt 22, well i think its 22..its less than 23 and greater 19 lol...paintings on the wall..honestly once i got past the idea of paintings hanging on a wall the game was pretty easy). rc is a work in progress but pacing feels more comfortable.

but after seeing my pt yesterday the blatantly obvious problem is time for LR so im sort of reverse engineering the section. set up the stop watch and didnt look at it while i did a section to see how long it took me to do the section without time pressure and feeling as close to certain as possible. 44 minutes with -2. gonna decrease the time veryyy slowlyyyy over the next week. so 20 sections, each section 30 seconds less. think that might do it. personally i dont see much use anymore for the cambridge packets..the whole idea of knowing a question is what cambridge deems as hard already skews the way i approach it so im done with question types for now and focusing on sections.

if i feel ready to take another timed diag ill join you guys for 39 for review. good luck everybody.

edit; good shit DD.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:07 am

shieldofachilles wrote:so after that shit pt yesterday, im back with renewed motivation. time is almost a non issue with lg--strictly working on technique and exposure now more than anything else. just section after section/redoing old ones. feeling really good about lg progress with 2 -1 sections today (if u wanna check out a tricky game pt 22, well i think its 22..its less than 23 and greater 19 lol...paintings on the wall..honestly once i got past the idea of paintings hanging on a wall the game was pretty easy). rc is a work in progress but pacing feels more comfortable.

but after seeing my pt yesterday the blatantly obvious problem is time for LR so im sort of reverse engineering the section. set up the stop watch and didnt look at it while i did a section to see how long it took me to do the section without time pressure and feeling as close to certain as possible. 44 minutes with -2. gonna decrease the time veryyy slowlyyyy over the next week. so 20 sections, each section 30 seconds less. think that might do it. personally i dont see much use anymore for the cambridge packets..the whole idea of knowing a question is what cambridge deems as hard already skews the way i approach it so im done with question types for now and focusing on sections.

if i feel ready to take another timed diag ill join you guys for 39 for review. good luck everybody.

edit; good shit DD.

personally, i think you should give 39 a shot and try to reason through the problems. if anything you can come into review and get a wide range of perspectives about how other people approached questions you or others missed

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:09 am

Daily_Double wrote:Amongst other drilling today, numbers will come later, I'm doing in and out games from Cambridge, five games so far, all level twos, all under eight, -1 so far because I misread a must be false. So it's not that I'm having trouble with them, although I'd rather do any other game and I still need to work hard on in and outs, but I wanted to ask has anyone else failed to use Manhattan's logic tree diagram? I liked using it a lot in the book, but it's not applicable for these problems, at least I thought so, so I can't tell if maybe I should just be flexible or if the whole approach is unnecessary.

Thoughts?

I only use it when there are multiple (like 4+) if then statements on in out games.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:11 am

Daily_Double wrote:Thanks, I agree, partly because I'm good at conditionals, I'm going to drop Manhattan's log chain, unless the situation obviously warrants it, and I'll let you guys know when I find that game. On an unrelated note, check out PT23, S1, G2 for a good example, tricky game, not too bad, not too easy. I finished -1, #11, (6:28).

PT34 G4 is one I'd use the Manhattan method for.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

griffin.811 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Amongst other drilling today, numbers will come later, I'm doing in and out games from Cambridge, five games so far, all level twos, all under eight, -1 so far because I misread a must be false. So it's not that I'm having trouble with them, although I'd rather do any other game and I still need to work hard on in and outs, but I wanted to ask has anyone else failed to use Manhattan's logic tree diagram? I liked using it a lot in the book, but it's not applicable for these problems, at least I thought so, so I can't tell if maybe I should just be flexible or if the whole approach is unnecessary.

Thoughts?

I only use it when there are multiple (like 4+) if then statements on in out games.

I think that's a good rule of thumb in general with regards to the tree diagram. But it gets too messy and unorganized if there are multiple conjunctions/disjunctions in the rules. LSATBlog's approach might be the best overall method attacking in and out games IMO. Manhattan is credited for everything else.

Edit: Another thing I don't really like about the tree method is that you have to be conscientious of the arrangement of variables so that each "connection" isn't too far apart; like if "P" and "O" are connected by a rule but they're also connected to other variables, and they're both 1st and last respectively in the chain then it might get too messy drawing an arrow all the way across. Not sure if you get what I'm saying. Overall, I think neatness matters a lot with the tree method and there's just not enough time to be as neat as possible.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:16 am

personally, i think you should give 39 a shot and try to reason through the problems. if anything you can come into review and get a wide range of perspectives about how other people approached questions you or others missed[/quote]its a possibility. totally agree that it would be good to hear how other people are faring but i have a serious anxiety problem lol...so if by friday im still freaking out about time, then gonna forgo the pt and save it for another day. ill really try to get there in the next couple days but not promising anything.

armedwithamind wrote:
shieldofachilles wrote:so after that shit pt yesterday, im back with renewed motivation. time is almost a non issue with lg--strictly working on technique and exposure now more than anything else. just section after section/redoing old ones. feeling really good about lg progress with 2 -1 sections today (if u wanna check out a tricky game pt 22, well i think its 22..its less than 23 and greater 19 lol...paintings on the wall..honestly once i got past the idea of paintings hanging on a wall the game was pretty easy). rc is a work in progress but pacing feels more comfortable.

edit; good shit DD.

edit: screwed up the quote but armedwithamind's comment was supposed to be in there

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:32 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:

Thoughts?

I think that's a good rule of thumb in general with regards to the tree diagram. But it gets too messy and unorganized if there are multiple conjunctions/disjunctions in the rules. LSATBlog's approach might be the best overall method attacking in and out games IMO. Manhattan is credited for everything else.

Edit: Another thing I don't really like about the tree method is that you have to be conscientious of the arrangement of variables so that each "connection" isn't too far apart; like if "P" and "O" are connected by a rule but they're also connected to other variables, and they're both 1st and last respectively in the chain then it might get too messy drawing an arrow all the way across. Not sure if you get what I'm saying. Overall, I think neatness matters a lot with the tree method and there's just not enough time to be as neat as possible.

yea i dont know why so many people like that tree, just take the time to diagram each conditional and its contrapositive, literally after i learned that method from lsat blog i blew through in/out games in < 6 mins easily

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:17 am

armedwithamind wrote:
yea i dont know why so many people like that tree, just take the time to diagram each conditional and its contrapositive, literally after i learned that method from lsat blog i blew through in/out games in < 6 mins easily

I second Armed's opinion on conditional chain. LSATBlog's method is the best in/out approach.

As for Manhattan, I only skimmed it.
Last edited by crazyrobin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 am

note: read if you want to feel better about yourself. and i mean, way better about yourself.

drilled for the first time today, a la pithypike's method
all are linear, balanced (aka making this more embarrassing):

@ Panera Bread, morning (??):
PT 7, Game 1: -1, untimed
PT 11, Game 2: -1, untimed

@ Library, evening (2 hours):
PT 12, Game 1: -0, 20 seconds under time
PT 13, Game 2: stopped. Did not understand (lollll)
PT 15, Game 1: -0 (did not finish last 3 questions, over 9 mins)
PT 18, Game 2: -1 (did not finish last 4 questions, over 10 mins)
PT 19, Game 1: -2 (went over 10 mins)
PT Feb 1996 Superprep Test A, Game 1: -1 (on time!)
PT 23, Game 1: -1 (on time!)
PT 24, Game 2: -2 (on time!)
PT 26, Game 2: -3 (went over 10 mins)
PT 27, Game 1: -2 (went over 9 mins)
PT 28, Game 1: -2 (1 min to spare!)

Have to realize I'm moving at my own pace, and not too disappointed given this is the first time I'm timing myself

Also, rethinking the whole "drilling/Pt-ing outside of the home thing;" too many creeps??

For the ones I didn't finish, should I attempt to tackle them untimed, or simply look up the answers & figure out why I was taking so long? What do you guys do? going to check my answers via manhattan's site...is there another place to look up explanations?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:23 am

@warandpeace

You'll be just fine. Game is the most learnable section on LG and you can destroy it in June.

Just keep up and have fun ( I love game, and I have lots of fun while doing games. )

LSATBlog has video explanation, you should really check it out, Steve makes life much easier while doing games lol.

Or try 7sage they have video explanation too, but I never checked, so I can't comment on that.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 am

crazyrobin wrote:@warandpeace

You'll be just fine. Game is the most learnable section on LG and you can destroy it in June.

Just keep up and have fun ( I love game, and I have lots of fun while doing games. )

LSATBlog has video explanation, you should really check it out, Steve makes life much easier while doing games lol.

Or try 7sage they have video explanation too, but I never checked, so I can't comment on that.

thanks so much for the references!! thank you (:

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:24 am

Needing a little help June LSAT fam.

So I'm a perfectionist and it's annoying at times like this. I tried LGB, it was... okay. I've moved onto the Velocity method with some organic strategies. I am still, after about 3 weeks of intense studying and maybe 50 drills, on Linear (Ordering) - Basic and Advanced (Simple ans Multi-Layered). I'm refusing to move onto Grouping until I master this.

However, while some of the book methods have helped I'm finding myself just blowing through drills and not improving too much. I can basically finish any game under about ~10 minutes and I usually get -0-2 wrong. Sometimes when I'm tired I'll miss an inference or misread a rule I'll take way too long or get -2-3 wrong. My mid-game frustration makes it worse.

More than anything I find myself getting frustrated by "If..." questions and just not having this click to perfection like it should.

My question: how are you all reviewing tests so that you learn and improve? I know the 3 or 4 specific things that are my boon, I just don't know where to go to fix it. I've heard LSATBlog and Velocity videos help but I haven't used them yet.

Help folks, I'm approaching ragequit and approaching fast.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Needing a little help June LSAT fam.

So I'm a perfectionist and it's annoying at times like this. I tried LGB, it was... okay. I've moved onto the Velocity method with some organic strategies. I am still, after about 3 weeks of intense studying and maybe 50 drills, on Linear (Ordering) - Basic and Advanced (Simple ans Multi-Layered). I'm refusing to move onto Grouping until I master this.

However, while some of the book methods have helped I'm finding myself just blowing through drills and not improving too much. I can basically finish any game under about ~10 minutes and I usually get -0-2 wrong. Sometimes when I'm tired I'll miss an inference or misread a rule I'll take way too long or get -2-3 wrong. My mid-game frustration makes it worse.

More than anything I find myself getting frustrated by "If..." questions and just not having this click to perfection like it should.

My question: how are you all reviewing tests so that you learn and improve? I know the 3 or 4 specific things that are my boon, I just don't know where to go to fix it. I've heard LSATBlog and Velocity videos help but I haven't used them yet.

Help folks, I'm approaching ragequit and approaching fast.

I don't know when you're reviewing your answers, but just in the posts above ^ I was referred to 7sage videos. They're really helping me go through each step by step, problem by problem. Obviously you can skip ahead to what you're struggling with. Worried that I'm going to be in your situation, though

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:30 am

I have a general question on diagramming. For local questions, where do you guys diagram? Not on the global diagram, right?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:43 am

warandpeace wrote:I have a general question on diagramming. For local questions, where do you guys diagram? Not on the global diagram, right?

I do it right beside each question. Helps if you make a valid hypo to see what question is was, and it's less confusing than putting it next to the global diagram. Never apply a local rule to the global diagram.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:13 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
warandpeace wrote:I have a general question on diagramming. For local questions, where do you guys diagram? Not on the global diagram, right?

I do it right beside each question. Helps if you make a valid hypo to see what question is was, and it's less confusing than putting it next to the global diagram. Never apply a local rule to the global diagram.

Thank you! Do you rewrite all the little numbered spaces though?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:18 am

warandpeace wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

Thank you! Do you rewrite all the little numbered spaces though?

I just make some quick little dashes to frame the setup.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:32 am

My last week plan was to take one PT and review. And review every LR question I have ever missed. If I have time, I would like to review RC mistakes too, but I am more concerned about LR. I wish the LSAT had two LG sections. Anyone else have ideas for their last week of prep?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:36 am

Is there anyone that would have done about 1,000 hours of prep by the time June comes around? Anyone?

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:39 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Is there anyone that would have done about 1,000 hours of prep by the time June comes around? Anyone?

wat

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:44 am

warandpeace wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Is there anyone that would have done about 1,000 hours of prep by the time June comes around? Anyone?

wat

By the time I sit for the test, I think I would have done somewhere like 700-800 hours of prep. I bet there are people on TLS that have done 1000+ hours of prep. Probably done every PT twice + all the Powerscore/Manhattan bibles + prep course + dense reading of books/magazines/scholarly articles + formal logic books (I have read them-- I have a stack on my desk). I guess it all depends on how you count the hours.

If I score well, I am going to book a trip to Vegas and get plastered like I have never before in my entire life to celebrate. Bottle service. The whole nine yards. I don't usually like to spend money like that, but I am going to break my rule. If and when you go to Vegas, check out The Bank club in the Bellagio hotel.

FrankOcean

Postby FrankOcean » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:49 am

Does anyone think they might be totally burnt out come June after studying like this? Personally I'm sort of just leisurely studying right now, planning to buckle down hard come Feb 10th so I have a solid 4 months.

Also, what are some suggestions for formal logic books?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 am

FrankOcean wrote:Does anyone think they might be totally burnt out come June after studying like this? Personally I'm sort of just leisurely studying right now, planning to buckle down hard come Feb 10th so I have a solid 4 months.

Also, what are some suggestions for formal logic books?

http://www.amazon.com/Logic-A-Very-Short-Introduction/dp/0192893203/

This one is really cheap and doesn't bullshit around.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:05 am

I like how this is bolded.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”