JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Hangover day. That is all.

lol. This shit is impossible with a hangover.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:20 pm

armedwithamind wrote:Did some light RC drilling today and, ended up going -4 on PT 32's RC section. I am very pleased with this result especially given I was interrupted twice, and the bros next to me have been blasting music throughout the duration of my drilling. Heading to lunch with Dad in a little bit then I'll be back to drill flaw questions.

Are you drilling Flaw using the cambridge packets? If so, any advice for level 4 questions? They're killing me!

Postby 052220151 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Alright guys, I’m officially checking in. I promised I would start Jan. 1, but I really dragged ass and only put in about 4ish hours all month. That is until last night, when I took a PT (first real LSAT exposure since Oct. administration). I didn’t do as well as I would have liked, but I did okay and pulled a 168 on a -8 test (-4 RC, -1 LG, -5 LR combined). I’m thinking about taking another one soon so I can indentify weaknesses to target. When is everyone going to start hardcore PTing? What is everyone’s plan until that, just brush up, or target weaknesses also?

Also, armedwithamind, what the fuck are you doing in here? You should be ashamed of yourself.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Last night was discouraging.

Did about 7 advanced linear games between 1-4am. Couldn't finish any under 10 minutes. It was taking me forever to get inferences. Sometimes my setup would start wrong. Kept missing one stupid one by not reading or just forgetting a not-law.

Just no fun all around.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:28 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:33 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Last night was discouraging.

Did about 7 advanced linear games between 1-4am. Couldn't finish any under 10 minutes. It was taking me forever to get inferences. Sometimes my setup would start wrong. Kept missing one stupid one by not reading or just forgetting a not-law.

Just no fun all around.

Don't let it get to you. You were probably exhausted. Work on your sleep schedule. And I would suggest to everyone that you check out your test center on the date of the February exam to get a sense of what it's going to be like in June.

Thanks man. Good advice, will do.

My sleep schedule is all kinds of messed up.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:38 pm

deputydog wrote:Alright guys, I’m officially checking in. I promised I would start Jan. 1, but I really dragged ass and only put in about 4ish hours all month. That is until last night, when I took a PT (first real LSAT exposure since Oct. administration). I didn’t do as well as I would have liked, but I did okay and pulled a 168 on a -8 test (-4 RC, -1 LG, -5 LR combined). I’m thinking about taking another one soon so I can indentify weaknesses to target. When is everyone going to start hardcore PTing? What is everyone’s plan until that, just brush up, or target weaknesses also?

Also, armedwithamind, what the fuck are you doing in here? You should be ashamed of yourself.

Dont judge me bro

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:42 pm

griffin.811 wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:Did some light RC drilling today and, ended up going -4 on PT 32's RC section. I am very pleased with this result especially given I was interrupted twice, and the bros next to me have been blasting music throughout the duration of my drilling. Heading to lunch with Dad in a little bit then I'll be back to drill flaw questions.

Are you drilling Flaw using the cambridge packets? If so, any advice for level 4 questions? They're killing me!

No advice except keep working on it bro, internalize the methods in MLR and apply them.

CFprez

Postby CFprez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:06 pm

Ok my intention is not to put a controversial topic in what is mostly just a strategy/study thread, but it deals with the LSAT. I have been lurking on this forum for about a month or so and I have been planning to take the LSAT in June. I had been working as a paralegal throughout some of my undergrad.

So... I started studying the PS LGB and another prep book in December. Basically I took RC and LR nearly cold and got -2, -3 respectively. LG really threw me for a curve after a few questions, so I decided to read up it for PSB before I even finished the section. Whatever I guess.

But about the same week I was reading the PSB I started reading all the law school scam blogs. Someone told me that they knew a law graduate that was working at Barnes and Noble. I knew that law school was not an automatic ticket to prestige and success, but I had no idea it was this bad. I read Campos blog and book too. The stats really started to sink in- 2 law school graduates for every job, even Georgetown is considered a "trap" school, etc. I had been aiming for a top15-20 regional law school, but the employment stats scare the crap out of me.

Since then my motivation has been blown out of the water, and I haven't studied since, even though I have been planning on going to law school for a while now. So my question to TLS is... are we are lemmings and special snowflakes? With my GPA I would be a splitter. So people taking the June LSAT what is your motivation for going? I am looking for honest advice here about how to get past my motivation block. Thanks. Also let me know if this is not the right place to post this.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:26 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:28 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:Alright guys, I’m officially checking in. I promised I would start Jan. 1, but I really dragged ass and only put in about 4ish hours all month. That is until last night, when I took a PT (first real LSAT exposure since Oct. administration). I didn’t do as well as I would have liked, but I did okay and pulled a 168 on a -8 test (-4 RC, -1 LG, -5 LR combined). I’m thinking about taking another one soon so I can indentify weaknesses to target. When is everyone going to start hardcore PTing? What is everyone’s plan until that, just brush up, or target weaknesses also?

Dont judge me bro

I would seriously let you pop one into my mouth if we could switch scores. You being in here makes me question your cool bro status. Why do you want that 180 so bad?

Postby 052220151 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:31 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
CFprez wrote:Ok my intention is not to put a controversial topic in what is mostly just a strategy/study thread, but it deals with the LSAT. I have been lurking on this forum for about a month or so and I have been planning to take the LSAT in June. I had been working as a paralegal throughout some of my undergrad.

So... I started studying the PS LGB and another prep book in December. Basically I took RC and LR nearly cold and got -2, -3 respectively. LG really threw me for a curve after a few questions, so I decided to read up it for PSB before I even finished the section. Whatever I guess.

But about the same week I was reading the PSB I started reading all the law school scam blogs. Someone told me that they knew a law graduate that was working at Barnes and Noble. I knew that law school was not an automatic ticket to prestige and success, but I had no idea it was this bad. I read Campos blog and book too. The stats really started to sink in- 2 law school graduates for every job, even Georgetown is considered a "trap" school, etc. I had been aiming for a top15-20 regional law school, but the employment stats scare the crap out of me.

Since then my motivation has been blown out of the water, and I haven't studied since, even though I have been planning on going to law school for a while now. So my question to TLS is... are we are lemmings and special snowflakes? With my GPA I would be a splitter. So people taking the June LSAT what is your motivation for going? I am looking for honest advice here about how to get past my motivation block. Thanks. Also let me know if this is not the right place to post this.

Might not be the right place since this thread is for people who are set on taking it and attending law school, but I'll tackle it anyway. While times are tough, I would argue that if you study well for the LSAT and have a GPA above three, then you have a good shot at the t20. If you get into the t20 and work hard, you have a good shot at a good job. Meet the sufficient conditions and you will trigger the necessary condition. My definitions of studying well and working hard are a different conversation.

1) decide whether or not you want to be an attorney.

If you decide you do, then

2) plug in 180 and your gpa into mylsn.info, compare to 160 and your gpa. Look at law school transparency for employment stats on the schools you could go to with both scores.

3) cry

4) start studying

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:43 pm

CFprez wrote:Ok my intention is not to put a controversial topic in what is mostly just a strategy/study thread, but it deals with the LSAT. I have been lurking on this forum for about a month or so and I have been planning to take the LSAT in June. I had been working as a paralegal throughout some of my undergrad.

I personally think you should only go if A) it's what you REALLY want to do - so none of that "I can't find a job or don't know what else to do and want to delay unemployment" bullshit B) you can attend a top regional school with a scholly - not necessarily a full scholly ie) Fordham C) you get into a T14 (you can contemplate whether it's worth attending at sticker depending on your personal factors -- what school you got into matters as well of course)

That being said, you need to destroy the LSAT - so study hard my friend and join us in our quest for a 180

pineapple57

Postby pineapple57 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:03 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Hangover day. That is all.

lol. This shit is impossible with a hangover.

+1

also I suck at LR lolz need to stop over thinking sigh

CFprez

Postby CFprez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:07 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:I personally think you should only go if A) it's what you REALLY want to do - so none of that "I can't find a job or don't know what else to do and want to delay unemployment" bullshit B) you can attend a top regional school with a scholly - not necessarily a full scholly ie) Fordham C) you get into a T14 (you can contemplate whether it's worth attending at sticker depending on your personal factors -- what school you got into matters as well of course)

That being said, you need to destroy the LSAT - so study hard my friend and join us in our quest for a 180

I like that idea. I think I am somewhere in the metaphorical crying stage, because I have looked at LSN and I see the poor 180's with my GPA shut out of my dream schools (well and everyone else's dream schools probably so maybe nbd). And then I want to hide in a cave when I see the 160 with my GPA and the law skools they go to. I am finishing up my undergrad so my GPA should be 3.0-3.2 ish. (my freshman grades sucked) but i have been getting 4.0's the last 3 semesters. That being said my RC and LR scores were really encouraging. I also like seeing other people's motivations for going to law school, so thanks.

I also like the idea of a quest. Realistically if I can conquer the LG section then.... Georgetown here I come?

CFprez

Postby CFprez » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:19 pm

That being said, I just realized I insulted a lot of people with a 160 and a 3.2 GPA. I will refer to those as "law schools" from now on and not "law skools". I realize that are pretty bright, I think I have just looked at pile of craps on Nando's TTT blog for a month.

Now I am going to start LG study tomorrow. Has anyone tried taking a LG game with them and studying in the bus, between classes etc?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:27 pm

CFprez wrote:That being said, I just realized I insulted a lot of people with a 160 and a 3.2 GPA. I will refer to those as "law schools" from now on and not "law skools". I realize that are pretty bright, I think I have just looked at pile of craps on Nando's TTT blog for a month.

Now I am going to start LG study tomorrow. Has anyone tried taking a LG game with them and studying in the bus, between classes etc?

I don't think anyone cares if you insult them. Most people have thick skin and study harder if they don't like their score. Taking PTs in distracting places is good for building focus after you get your technique down.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 pm

One of the worst parts of studying for this test is everyone asking you: So, when are you finally going to take the LSAT? Most people just don't get it. They don't understand the legal job market or what a degree from a T-14 would do for one's entire career. I get tired of people asking me. They just pile on more stress. They are essentially thinking and saying, "Why don't you just take it already and attend the local TTT. Wow, you will be lawyer! What difference does it make where you go to school?" I just look at them and nod my head.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm

CFprez wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:I personally think you should only go if A) it's what you REALLY want to do - so none of that "I can't find a job or don't know what else to do and want to delay unemployment" bullshit B) you can attend a top regional school with a scholly - not necessarily a full scholly ie) Fordham C) you get into a T14 (you can contemplate whether it's worth attending at sticker depending on your personal factors -- what school you got into matters as well of course)

I like that idea. I think I am somewhere in the metaphorical crying stage, because I have looked at LSN and I see the poor 180's with my GPA shut out of my dream schools (well and everyone else's dream schools probably so maybe nbd). And then I want to hide in a cave when I see the 160 with my GPA and the law skools they go to. I am finishing up my undergrad so my GPA should be 3.0-3.2 ish. (my freshman grades sucked) but i have been getting 4.0's the last 3 semesters. That being said my RC and LR scores were really encouraging. I also like seeing other people's motivations for going to law school, so thanks.

I also like the idea of a quest. Realistically if I can conquer the LG section then.... Georgetown here I come?

Not 100% sure how LSAC calculates grades, but if you're still in undergrad, I think you can delay graduation and take some easy courses at a less expensive community college (I'd look for 4 credits) and really boost your GPA if you keep with the 4.0 trend.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:46 pm

griffin.811 wrote:Not 100% sure how LSAC calculates grades, but if you're still in undergrad, I think you can delay graduation and take some easy courses at a less expensive community college (I'd look for 4 credits) and really boost your GPA if you keep with the 4.0 trend.

This and this can calculate grades.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:One of the worst parts of studying for this test is everyone asking you: So, when are you finally going to take the LSAT? Most people just don't get it. They don't understand the legal job market or what a degree from a T-14 would do for one's entire career. I get tired of people asking me. They just pile on more stress. They are essentially thinking and saying, "Why don't you just take it already and attend the local TTT. Wow, you will be lawyer! What difference does it make where you go to school?" I just look at them and nod my head.

+1. Folks are wondering why I am delaying the test for as long as I have. They don't get how much it can make or break a future. 5 more months of not having a life.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 pm

deputydog wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

Dont judge me bro

I would seriously let you pop one into my mouth if we could switch scores. You being in here makes me question your cool bro status. Why do you want that 180 so bad?

Because in my sick mind I believe it will matter despite all things telling me it wont, I also PT'd there last year

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 pm

BlaqBella wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:One of the worst parts of studying for this test is everyone asking you: So, when are you finally going to take the LSAT? Most people just don't get it. They don't understand the legal job market or what a degree from a T-14 would do for one's entire career. I get tired of people asking me. They just pile on more stress. They are essentially thinking and saying, "Why don't you just take it already and attend the local TTT. Wow, you will be lawyer! What difference does it make where you go to school?" I just look at them and nod my head.

+1. Folks are wondering why I am delaying the test for as long as I have. They don't get how much it can make or break a future. 5 more months of not having a life.

I cannot wait for this shit to be over. I have never had to do something as miserable as this.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:23 pm

BlaqBella wrote:

are you gunning for HYS or something? you really would only need a 165 or so, assuming decent GPA as a URM to get scholly money from T14

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”