JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

fips tedora

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby fips tedora » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Which LG types mess with you all most?

For me it's unbalanced (overloaded and underfunded) advanced linears. I go -0 but my optimal setup with inferences take too long and I always end up taking about 9-13 minutes.

Grouping - Matching. This type includes some of the hardest LG games administered thus far.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:19 am

MTH2 wrote:

For me it's unbalanced (overloaded and underfunded) advanced linears. I go -0 but my optimal setup with inferences take too long and I always end up taking about 9-13 minutes.

Grouping - Matching. This type includes some of the hardest LG games administered thus far.

Good to know. I've left Grouping for last on my LG studying list.

Would you say grouping questions overall are more or less difficult than linear ones?

TJFergu85

Postby TJFergu85 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:29 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
MTH2 wrote:

Would you say grouping questions overall are more or less difficult than linear ones?

Jumping in here, IMO, Grouping games have tended to be more difficult hands down. Especially when you mix in Grouping Matching or Hybrid Grouping/linear games. It takes some time to get used to, I still haven't yet. It is not as much about following a certain formula and getting easy answers from big inferences. Much more of "back end" games and I have trouble getting them down to less than 10 or 11 so far. It is important to carry over the basics you learn from linear games, such as very clear diagramming and rule notation. Also for me, part of the trouble is being overwhelmed and leads to me getting out of order and not taking a tactical approach to each question. Luckily, we have plenty of time as long as we keep at it. We will be fine.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:54 am

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
MTH2 wrote:

I wouldn't say that they're more difficult but a different process. Grouping is more about inferences and hypos whereas Linear is good diagrams and inferences.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:00 am

Daily_Double wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Probably complex ordering. It just means another variable.

This is correct, 3D ordering is synonymous with complex ordering

Thanks!

MauveT-Rex

Postby MauveT-Rex » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 am

I'm quite a bit behind on my re-take plan. I'm currently halfway through Ch.4 in LGB and have only completed 1 PT. I should have been all the way through LGB by now and completed at least 4 PT's. I have done a crappy job of getting a 2nd wind upon returning home from work and have instead laid around for an hour after dinner watching TV or napping, thus only studying from 7:30pm-9pm instead of 6:30-9 as I had previously planned.

You guys are doing outstanding, keep up the great work! This thread is great motivation.

lsatjune20130

Postby lsatjune20130 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Hey guys here are some SPAM

leshachikha

Postby leshachikha » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:46 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
MTH2 wrote:

I've been working on my grouping games for the past two days. Ooh, I hate them.

I agree with MTH2 that they're less reliant on diagrams/inferences than the linear games. If you invest a little time on the front end of a linear games, you usually not only have a diagram that will answer most of the questions for you, but you also have a very thorough understanding of the game. Grouping games, on the other hand, require some experimentation with each question.

Off to do some more of these bastards.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Long term lurker checking in for the first time. I'm currently working my way through the Kaplan LG Book and I'm not making any progress! Do you all have any secrets as to how you're making it to -0? Right now I'm only managing to get about three questions right for each game, and it's taking me a long time to do it too!

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:35 pm

I logged in on my phone just to reply to this lol. Get away from Kaplan. The recommended study is either power score or manhattan lg or both.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:38 pm

shieldofachilles wrote:I logged in on my phone just to reply to this lol. Get away from Kaplan. The recommended study is either power score or manhattan lg or both.

So I should go ahead and order Manhattan LG? And just focus on my Manhattan LR in the interim period?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:39 pm

shieldofachilles wrote:I logged in on my phone just to reply to this lol. Get away from Kaplan. The recommended study is either power score or manhattan lg or both.

On my phone too.... PLEASE stay away from Kaplan.
Ps LG and manhattan LG, LR&RC will help you

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Yes, and you may want to invest a little more money on Cambridge LG&LR bundle grouped by type from PrepTest 1-38.
Last edited by crazyrobin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:41 pm

Got it, thanks yall.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:50 pm

okaygo wrote:Long term lurker checking in for the first time. I'm currently working my way through the Kaplan LG Book and I'm not making any progress! Do you all have any secrets as to how you're making it to -0? Right now I'm only managing to get about three questions right for each game, and it's taking me a long time to do it too!

Not familiar with Kaplan, but most around these parts will probably tell you to drop it and pick up either Manhattan, or Powerscore LG. I recommend Manhattan personally. Also how are you drilling? you probably should be working untimed right now since it seems you need help with accuracy.

If you have the cambridge packets, Drill by type, starting with the easiest of all, Basic linear. If you don't have the packets, get them, then same as above. The skills you develop there will help make the transition to tougher games easier.

There really isn't a secret though. Drill, Drill, and... Drill some more. When you get a question wrong, review it, then do it again with 7sage.com (don't just watch, actually do it with them).

I'm pretty sure, if you set a legitimate plan to improve, and stick to it, you'll be right around there by June. Take a look around this thread and see how many games others are doing per sitting, and use that as a guide in setting your approach.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm

Burn the Kaplan book.

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:56 pm

I definitely think I'll be getting the cambridge packets and the Manhattan LG today. I currently am drilling LR/LG for about a total of 3 - 6 hours a day depending on what my class and work schedule is holding up to be that day. My LR sections are great within the time constraints and it's making me uneasy that my LG has no conistent change.

In you all's opinion should I have days where I ONLY focus on LG, and then days where I only focus on LR? I'm not sure how I should divide my time.

swhiz

Postby swhiz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:01 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Burn the Kaplan book.

This. Kill it with fire.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:02 pm

okaygo wrote:I definitely think I'll be getting the cambridge packets and the Manhattan LG today. I currently am drilling LR/LG for about a total of 3 - 6 hours a day depending on what my class and work schedule is holding up to be that day. My LR sections are great within the time constraints and it's making me uneasy that my LG has no conistent change.

In you all's opinion should I have days where I ONLY focus on LG, and then days where I only focus on LR? I'm not sure how I should divide my time.

If you are good at LR you may schedule a time to focus on game meanwhile light drill on LR, say 10 Qs, 20 Qs, I think this is the best way to keep consistent.

lsatjune20130

Postby lsatjune20130 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:05 pm

why buy the LR packets? LSAC gets way too much money from us already. you can get them MOD EDITfor free.
NO, you CAN'T. Not unless you want to break some laws that we do NOT BREAK on TLS.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:07 pm

Since I've done nothing but LG, I did an RC section yesterday just to gauge where I am at (PT 18) and went -1 with a couple minutes to spare. I think learning RC the first time permanently changed the way I read. I was also reading a lot after my first take, focusing on form and looking for arguments.

In that way, I think prepping for RC is good long-term investment.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leshachikha

Postby leshachikha » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm

swhiz wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Burn the Kaplan book.

This. Kill it with fire.

The Kaplan book is actually useless. They don't have any official/real games, from what I recall.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”