JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:15 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
I always have more uncertainty in logical reasoning. The lack of liberal arts background I think has caught up with me. My technical undergrad has really helped with logic games though.

Yes, I wish I had read more of John Locke's theory of property with the philosophers who follows or I really had draw out the main point on the Hegelian dialectic.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:PT20
LR:-7
RC:-13
LG:-5
LR:-5

Raw:71
Scaled:158

Review tonight and tm. RC is killing me. May try implementing Manhattan/Voyager strategy during review, and on next few PTs. Tips welcome!

When you do PTs are you timing yourself?

I take a PT every 2-3 days (test, review, repeat). Maybe spend a day drilling here and there, but that hasn't seemed to help much. I think it's because on the test, questions of the same type are not given one after another.

And yes, strict timer.

Although it's possible that the reason drilling has not yielded positive results is because you have trouble changing mental gears between questions of a different type, have you considered the alternative that maybe drilling hasn't helped because you have not drilled enough? Although it's tough to say how much enough is, I would guess that after drilling for at least two weeks, your LR and LG mistakes would decrease simply because you would reinforce strategies for specific question types, and as a result, you should be able to see the question stimulus, quickly recognize it's question type and corresponding strategy to answer the question.

And for RC, have you considered untimed sections to focus on accuracy? I started this last week, and it's going really well so far, I've started to, like most strongly supported questions in LR, only select answers which I can support by specific lines in the text.

I am definitely taking your advice on the RC. Are you writing a brief summary after each paragraph? Initially seemed like a waste of time to me, but seems to pay dividends for others, so I may try that along with your suggestion.

For LR, do you time yourself when you drill (4 questions in 5 min, or something similar)? Also do you focus on one type until mastery, or switch between types?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:35 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:52 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:I am definitely taking your advice on the RC. Are you writing a brief summary after each paragraph? Initially seemed like a waste of time to me, but seems to pay dividends for others, so I may try that along with your suggestion.

For LR, do you time yourself when you drill (4 questions in 5 min, or something similar)? Also do you focus on one type until mastery, or switch between types?

Glad I could help. No I don't write anything next to the passage except notation abbreviations. However I do write short paragraphs to explain each answer choice in questions I miss or am unsure about.

For LR, I do time everything religiously, but only because I know that my issue with LR is not accuracy, so now I'm focused on mastering each question type to ensure that I go <-4 on both LR sections combined.

If you don't possess Cambridge's packets for PTs 1-38, I'd recommend getting them. Not because you can't identify question types in previous PTs, but because its difficult to time yourself when you are jumping around in PTs.

Good luck.

Great advice and much appreciated! Hope I can repay the favor down the line.

I do have the Cambridge packets, so looks like I'll be taking you up on both pieces of advice. Thanks again!

redecember

Postby redecember » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:58 pm

Just took my diagnostic

RC: -9, (didn't get to the 4th passage at all..)
LG: -3
LR: -14

Score: 158

Do you guy suggest I review the test first or start drilling? (Using Noodley's guide)
And when I do review the test, should I go through every question or just the ones I got wrong?

Thanks in advance!

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Took PT 20 yesterday as well

Raw: 79 Scaled: 163

LR1: -4 with 6 mins to spare
RC2: -9 with 9 mins to spare; not sure how I managed to finish with so much time..:/ probably need to slow down
LG3: -3 with 5 mins to spare
LR4: -6 with 6 mins to spare

I've seen some of the LR questions before through drilling and/or having taken the PT before so my times are probably somewhat skewed. Some questions that I missed I should not have missed; they were due either to not reading carefully enough or just making stupid errors. I'm happy about my timing but I really need to cut down on stupid mistakes.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:13 pm

redecember wrote:Just took my diagnostic

Do you guy suggest I review the test first or start drilling? (Using Noodley's guide)
And when I do review the test, should I go through every question or just the ones I got wrong?

Thanks in advance!

You should review questions for which you did not select the credited answer or were unsure of the credited answer.

Took PT 45 today:

LR: -18
RC: -5
LG: 0

Scored a 162. Luckily, my school commitment does not look like it's going to be too large. I think I'll be able to balance studying and school fine en route to retaking in June.

redecember

Postby redecember » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:21 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

Thanks in advance!

You should review questions for which you did not select the credited answer or were unsure of the credited answer.

Took PT 45 today:

Scored a 162. Luckily, my school commitment does not look like it's going to be too large. I think I'll be able to balance studying and school fine en route to retaking in June.

Thanks a lot. This may be a stupid question, but is there a site that explains each question or do I just do it myself.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Quick question: how do you guys organize all your LSAT stuff? Like PT's, miscellaneous sections/individual games that you guys print off to do for practice?

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:23 pm

redecember wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Took PT 45 today:

Thanks a lot. This may be a stupid question, but is there a site that explains each question or do I just do it myself.

I'd do them myself first and then check your explanations with Manhattan's: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-test-explanations.cfm

redecember

Postby redecember » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:26 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
redecember wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Took PT 45 today:

I'd do them myself first and then check your explanations with Manhattan's: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/lsat-test-explanations.cfm

Thanks man. Good luck with your studies, looking forward to continued productive discussion in this thread.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:26 pm

redecember wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Took PT 45 today:

You can use this website to record your answers and identify which questions types you are missing. I find this is especially helpful for retakers because it allows you to review for which question types you need to do additional drilling. I haven't had much experience with the LG aspect of it, though.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:40 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Registered yesterday for June. Don't wait until the last minute or all the good test centers will be full.

Where did you register to take it bro? I'm registering in NYC again.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:54 pm

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Pussed out of Feb... Checking in for June...

I was supposed to take it originally Dec 2011... and yet here we are... Maybe i'll finally put in the time to study and take the damned test in June... :X

WhoislikeGod

Postby WhoislikeGod » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:05 pm

I am just starting to study and have just began reading the LR bible. After reading through the chapters and getting to the problem sets, I am only getting 50-60% of the problems correct. Is this normal for someone seeing the material for the first time?

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:40 pm

WhoislikeGod wrote:I am just starting to study and have just began reading the LR bible. After reading through the chapters and getting to the problem sets, I am only getting 50-60% of the problems correct. Is this normal for someone seeing the material for the first time?

id say dont start worrying about how badly ur doing in lr until after you have drilled a shitload of questions from the cambridge bundles and done a good amount of sections. if you complete 2000 lr questions, review all your wrong answers comprehensively and still no increase then i might get a little worried. as for now i think ur fine. just put in the work and youll do great. Also, this is what i did and found it really helpful was not just rushing through the bible but reading each chapter individually and then drilling the appropriate question type(s).

leshachikha

Postby leshachikha » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:26 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Quick question: how do you guys organize all your LSAT stuff? Like PT's, miscellaneous sections/individual games that you guys print off to do for practice?

I have a big, 3" green binder. So far, I've just been working through the Powerscore LG Bible, so I have my notes on each section, photocopies of the drills, and photocopies of the practice problems just placed in there in order. When I get to my next book, I'll put in a tab and do the same thing. Then, when I start PTing, I'll keep all those at the back in chronological order in a new tab.

As for my prep...

I seem to be getting back into the swing of things. I've been completing advanced linear games and grouping games in around 8 minutes on average with none wrong. Let's see if I can maintain those times come test day.

I've also been writing some of my own practice games, patterned on official games (like, rewritten scenarios, changed the variables, and added rules I see in the "local" questions). Then I write my own questions, again using the official ones as a guide. Once I'm closer to test day, I'll use these games to see if I've retained what I've been learning in this early prep. Weirdly, the process of writing my own questions has really helped me start to dissect the workings of the puzzles and understand them better.

Happy MLK day/prepping, my friends.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 am

armedwithamind wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Registered yesterday for June. Don't wait until the last minute or all the good test centers will be full.

im in nyc too and registered already. last time i checked pace was closed already. all i know for sure is DO NOT take the lsat at brooklyn. i remember reading somewhere on tls that a couple people had good experiences at wagner. the law schools on the list might be a good option too.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:52 am

DIdn't do much much today. drilled maybe like 20 LRs. spent the whole day doing hw and writing lab reports. hopefully tomorrow will be productive.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:37 am

shieldofachilles wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

im in nyc too and registered already. last time i checked pace was closed already. all i know for sure is DO NOT take the lsat at brooklyn. i remember reading somewhere on tls that a couple people had good experiences at wagner. the law schools on the list might be a good option too.

Wagner is credited.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”