JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

wtrc

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:Redoing LG sections from PT 60s is giving me a much needed confidence boost...dare I say it, I may even feel like I "got" this 8)

If you feel that way after 62,65, and 68, you definitely do! Congrats!

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:08 pm

I can't wait to be able to drink like I used to. This test is really getting in the way of me doing things during the week. Only a few more days until we cash in these months of effort.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:11 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:PT 55: sections taken separately today. No RC today, no review of answers after completing section in time left.

LR1: -3, 25 minutes. One dumb error would have been fixed if I reviewed.
LG: 27 minutes, -1
LR2: 22 minutes, 0.

I saw this before a few months ago. I want some of that LR2 on Monday. Fastest timed section ever, not that speed matters as long as its under 35 mins...

Some people seem to get rusty with too long of a break. But for me, I'd really like that extra time to review/sit there, especially if that LR is the 4th section or something, and just suppose RC is the fifth section.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:15 pm

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm not a stress drinker, I eat to de-stress. I'll probably eat about 2,000 calories of french toast and muffins at the diner afterward.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:29 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I can't wait to be able to drink like I used to. This test is really getting in the way of me doing things during the week. Only a few more days until we cash in these months of effort.

So having a beer and watching the Heat game right now is a bad idea?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:32 pm

mehiguess wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:I can't wait to be able to drink like I used to. This test is really getting in the way of me doing things during the week. Only a few more days until we cash in these months of effort.

I'd say that's fine. I wouldn't be partying, but a beer or two tonight or tomorrow won't kill you.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:45 pm

mehiguess wrote:

I hope not. I'm doing that now. I was just saying that I can't, well I guess I could, but I don't, go out as much as I used to because it's hard to study for the LSAT when one is hungover.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:48 pm

sublime wrote:

How long are you going directly before the test without drinking at all, if you don't mind me asking.

Not very long. Hopefully about eleven hours, since I plan to drink until nine and sleep from nine until eight.

mehiguess

Postby mehiguess » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:07 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
sublime wrote:

How long are you going directly before the test without drinking at all, if you don't mind me asking.

Not very long. Hopefully about eleven hours, since I plan to drink until nine and sleep from nine until eight.

I could get on board with that

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:20 pm

I'm trying not to drink at all before the test. Immediately after the test, however, is a different story. I'm tempted to yell, "TO THE BARS!" as soon as time is called for the writing section. Wish I had a group to drunkenly commiserate and compare test notes with.

Although I guess I can do that in the waiters' thread. ;)

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:29 pm

sublime wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:
sublime wrote:

lol. Nice. I guess I am concerned about it because I have somewhat a history of alcoholism, although I drink maybe once or twice a week presently, and was unsure whether I should try to cut it out completely for the few weeks.

Dude, only you know what's best for you. I'm just a college kid who likes to have fun in college, I was not trying to give advice or anything. But I don't see any danger in a six pack before bed and game of thrones with some friends before a good night's sleep.

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:34 pm

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:36 pm

I wish I knew how to reliably improve RC. The problem is not speed of reading or processing the info, it's just the questions. And while I'm pretty good at LR (if I do say so myself), I just can't get a consistent grip on what sort of logic dictates RC. That is, with LR, I know how questions are formulated, what they're looking for, what the answer choices are all implying, how they interact with the stimulus, how the test maker wants to trick you. I don't get that with RC. I've been trying to treat it more like giant LR texts lately, but there's still inconsistency.

Anyone have any tips that helped them figure out RC and/or consistently improve their score?

sublime

Postby sublime » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:50 pm

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:52 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I'm trying not to drink at all before the test. Immediately after the test, however, is a different story. I'm tempted to yell, "TO THE BARS!" as soon as time is called for the writing section. Wish I had a group to drunkenly commiserate and compare test notes with.

Although I guess I can do that in the waiters' thread. ;)

Hahah, I think I need to make friends with fellow test takers during the break. I want to yell "TO THE BARS" after the test, that is awesome.

magickware

Postby magickware » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 pm

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203798

I tried using the advice given there.

It is sound and it makes sense, and it actually worked for me. The problem is that I simply couldn't do that while simultaneously working on LR (brain felt fried after doing two of those), and I simply couldn't focus on anything afterwards. I think my ability to retain information on my first pass is just piss-poor.

Beyond that though, I've begun just dividing the passages into tons of mini-paragraphs (by drawing lines in between every big idea shift) and briefly summarizing what the paragraphs were saying. That + doing a mental check-up by writing down what the big picture of the passage as a whole was helped getting rid of idiotic mistakes on main point/related.

It didn't help me on my biggest weakness on RC though - Random minor details that pop out of nowhere and screw me over. I fully expect 2-3 of those to occur on the real thing, and am hoping that we get simple LR sections that don't absurd inference questions. I hate hard inference questions.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 pm

"TO THE BARS" - MDLG

First quote on the waiters' thread. First words out of my mouth after the writing sample.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:03 am

Daily_Double wrote:"TO THE BARS" - MDLG

First quote on the waiters' thread. First words out of my mouth after the writing sample.

Hahaha, awesome. :lol:

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:35 am

Just finished my studying for the night with the two games that used to piss me off but now seem like a joke, birds and tennis and golf.

Seconding the drinking immediately after the test. Already have a bottle of kraken waiting for me. Anyone from Chicago that wants to drink with some fellow LSAT champions is free to meet up with us in wrigley

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:37 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I wish I knew how to reliably improve RC. The problem is not speed of reading or processing the info, it's just the questions. And while I'm pretty good at LR (if I do say so myself), I just can't get a consistent grip on what sort of logic dictates RC. That is, with LR, I know how questions are formulated, what they're looking for, what the answer choices are all implying, how they interact with the stimulus, how the test maker wants to trick you. I don't get that with RC. I've been trying to treat it more like giant LR texts lately, but there's still inconsistency.

Anyone have any tips that helped them figure out RC and/or consistently improve their score?

I went through manhattan and what I got out of it was that the best way to improve on RC as simple as it sounds is to eliminate what is wrong and usually you can knock off 4 answers. I brought mine down from an 8 to 6 which still kinda sucks but it helped somewhat

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:39 am

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:45 am

sublime wrote:
Abisping wrote:Just finished my studying for the night with the two games that used to piss me off but now seem like a joke, birds and tennis and golf.

Seconding the drinking immediately after the test. Already have a bottle of kraken waiting for me. Anyone from Chicago that wants to drink with some fellow LSAT champions is free to meet up with us in wrigley

I am not into spiced rum, but Kraken is great. Try mixing it with pineapple juice. It may sound strange, but it balances it perfectly.

I usually just drink it by itself, or with a splash of coke. But I like my drinks strong. Probably will kill the whole bottle after the test and then....... I probably won't know what happens after that

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:53 am

Abisping wrote:Just finished my studying for the night with the two games that used to piss me off but now seem like a joke, birds and tennis and golf.

I'm more of a bourbon or whiskey drinker, depending upon the moment in question. Definitely not a tequila fan. But I've got a bottle of crown waiting for me, unfortunately I'll probably finish it before Monday, or on Monday. I suppose if the test goes according to plan, and I expect it will, then I'll probably rape my account and buy a bottle at a bar somewhere with my friends... and probably finish it anyways in the early AM of Tuesday or before.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”