JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Stupe

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Stupe » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:54 am

Planning on buying LG and LR Bibles, Manhattan RC, and at least the 25 most recent LSATs. Maybe all the PTs, just to practice LG.

Was going to do this all as a lump order over my Christmas break, how much should I be looking to spend?

Chardee_MacDennis

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 am

Stupe wrote:Planning on buying LG and LR Bibles, Manhattan RC, and at least the 25 most recent LSATs. Maybe all the PTs, just to practice LG.

Was going to do this all as a lump order over my Christmas break, how much should I be looking to spend?

$250-300

If you go to Cambridge LSAT, you can buy LG bundles w/o buying the entire PT.

Stupe

Postby Stupe » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
Stupe wrote:Planning on buying LG and LR Bibles, Manhattan RC, and at least the 25 most recent LSATs. Maybe all the PTs, just to practice LG.

$250-300

If you go to Cambridge LSAT, you can buy LG bundles w/o buying the entire PT.

Thanks, didn't know that. That's great.

scottyc66

Postby scottyc66 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 pm

Most people prefer Manhattan's LR guide to the LRB

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:16 pm

Surprised this thread is up. I took the October 2012 LSAT and got a 165, which represents the low end of my average. I was inconsistently PT'ing at 170+, so I know it's possible to nail it down. I haven't even looked at anything LSAT related since taking the test. I took almost every PT, so I figured the distance would allow me to come at them again fresh.

Shooting for mid 170s.

LouisianaLaw

Postby LouisianaLaw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:34 pm

Checking in (I'm new here).

I was thinking of taking in February, but I have a trip to South America scheduled Jan 2-14, so I don't foresee much studying getting done then. I think it would be better to take my time and really nail everything down.

My situation is a little weird, in that on the three PTs I've done so far, I haven't missed a single LG question. My problems seem to be in LR and RC (which surprised me...I thought it would be the other way around). I'm hoping that's just a timing thing that can be improved with practice.

All three of my scores have been in the 170-172 range, but I really want to knock the LSAT out of the park because my GPA is a little lower than some others (Bio/Chem major).

Kurry Kid

Postby Kurry Kid » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:15 am

Hey, guys! This is my first post here, but I have been browsing TLS over the past one or two years just to get a flavor of things. This board gave me that push to join the fray, as I will be taking the June 2013 LSAT as well.

I want to order my prep materials this week to have them ready for when finals are over. I currently have the Powerscore books but I'm not sure what else to get. I'm thinking I should get the Manhattan set to read those along with the Powerscore books, and then work on drilling those practice tests. But I'm not sure which practice tests to get, nor do I know how many to get. I read somewhere on the forums that it's good to get about 20-30 tests at least and work on each one multiple times. What do you guys think? And any suggestions for any specific tests to get? The 10 New Official LSAT Tests, for example. I'm also unsure of whether I should do practice tests while I read through the Manhattan and Powerscore books or if they'll give me sufficient practice problems to work on whilst reading them.

Thanks a lot, guys, and I'm looking forward to being an active member of these posts. You'll be hearing much more from me come a few weeks from now after finals...

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:01 am

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

powder

Postby powder » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:06 am

I can't sleep. The LSAT overhangs my future, robbing me of the joy of doing nothing. I resent my lack of productivity. I resent my failed attempts to master this test, losing not to its questions, but the inertia of my own life. My parents want me to give it up. I've talked too long and done nothing. My friends think I should stay where I am. And sometimes I think they're right.

Still, I have to see what I can make of this. Can't spend this long wanting to do something and then let it go. It's 3 am on the West Coast. Might as well dust off the books and start again.

Good luck all. Let's do this.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:41 pm

powder wrote:I can't sleep. The LSAT overhangs my future, robbing me of the joy of doing nothing. I resent my lack of productivity. I resent my failed attempts to master this test, losing not to its questions, but the inertia of my own life. My parents want me to give it up. I've talked too long and done nothing. My friends think I should stay where I am. And sometimes I think they're right.

Still, I have to see what I can make of this. Can't spend this long wanting to do something and then let it go. It's 3 am on the West Coast. Might as well dust off the books and start again.

Good luck all. Let's do this.

You're retaking?

And chill. Learn to answer 101 questions correctly and the world is yours. That's the outlook.

CyanIdes Of March

Postby CyanIdes Of March » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:13 pm

I hope not to have to join this study group (nothing personal, I'm sure you're all great), but I might be checking in come March. Good luck until then.

Chardee_MacDennis

Postby Chardee_MacDennis » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:03 pm

Kurry Kid wrote:Hey, guys! This is my first post here, but I have been browsing TLS over the past one or two years just to get a flavor of things. This board gave me that push to join the fray, as I will be taking the June 2013 LSAT as well.

I want to order my prep materials this week to have them ready for when finals are over. I currently have the Powerscore books but I'm not sure what else to get. I'm thinking I should get the Manhattan set to read those along with the Powerscore books, and then work on drilling those practice tests. But I'm not sure which practice tests to get, nor do I know how many to get. I read somewhere on the forums that it's good to get about 20-30 tests at least and work on each one multiple times. What do you guys think? And any suggestions for any specific tests to get? The 10 New Official LSAT Tests, for example. I'm also unsure of whether I should do practice tests while I read through the Manhattan and Powerscore books or if they'll give me sufficient practice problems to work on whilst reading them.

Thanks a lot, guys, and I'm looking forward to being an active member of these posts. You'll be hearing much more from me come a few weeks from now after finals...

I posted this earlier, but if you visit Cambridge LSAT, you can purchase a bunch of materials, including full PTs and individual questions/sections.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:10 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:51 pm

Long-time lurker posting for the very first time. Aiming for a 175+ as well. Good God, IT HAS BEGUN.

Currently using the Powerscore trio as well as Manhattan LG. While I thought Powerscore's LGB was useful I have to say I like Manhattan's approach much better. Depending on how I do on PTs I might spring for the Manhattan guides on LR and RC if I think I need the help. Just a drop in the bucket compared to what law school is going to cost, right?

charles_g

Postby charles_g » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:32 am

This is my first post on here. I've found this forum to be extremely helpful in beginning my study processes. I had heard that with a course a 10 point increase is about as good as it gets. So I was very worried when I took a cold diagnostic at 157. My GPA is not very high and I know that I'll need better than a 167 to get into a school that's worth a damn. That couple with the fact that I wasn't looking forward to paying $1000 + on a course, had me in a little bit of fear. Luckily I found this blog.

I decided against a course and plan on achieving a 170+ on the test. I've been lightly studying for a month. I'm going through the bibles right now and working the problems that correspond to each chapter. Everything is starting to make sense. I am doing lrb and lrg currently. After that I will do the Manhattan RC, then the other Manhattan guides. I also plan on working through problems with the lsatblog and 7sage methods and finding what works for me. I then plan on spending the last 3 months with doing pts and reviewing them.

I got all the pts, the ace the lsat logic games (in case i need more games for practice), the lrb, lgb, and manhattan rc. I also plan on buying the manhattan guides. My number one goal right now is to get games down to -0 on each section so i can work on other weaknesses.

charles_g

Postby charles_g » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 am

Also, I am in Los Angeles. I live in Encino and work near UCLA. If anyone in the area that has had success in their preparation would like to meet up to share approaches, I would be interested in doing that.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:11 am

My aim for my prep is to master LR and LG and let RC go against the curve of the exam. I usually score anywhere from -10 to -4 on RC so the goal is to emphasize LR and LG to the point that I'm scoring -0 on these sections consistently. Easier said than done, but LR/LG are by far the most learnable sections of the exam to the point where they can be mastered, so with 6 months and efficient prepping there's no reason it can't be done.

Currently on chapter 3 of the Manhattan LR Guide. I'm going through it a lot more slower than I did for my October prep; read the thing in its entirety in a week and a half :/ probablyyyy a little too quick.

I'm actually technically "on vacation" for my cousins wedding but it was over a week ago and it's been a lot less hectic so I've been able to find time for the LSAT. Prep will be put in full gear once I return back home next week. Let's do this yalllll (I've been saying this way too often)

powder

Postby powder » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am

Not a retaker, just a compulsive worrier. It'll get better once I get back in the gym. I tend to obsess over things, unfortunately. Semi-productive day yesterday, reread the beginning chapters of the MLR. It looked foreign and familiar at the same time. Plan for today is to have a drink, do some more reading, hit the gym, then do some LR Qs after. So quiet in the early hours. It's nice.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:20 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:54 pm

1-2 PTs a week starting in February should be fine. Don't worry too much about repeating tests, either. In fact, I found retaking LR sections to be beneficial when prepping for October. It's eye opening to see you've missed the same questions weeks apart, even after review.

I tried 3 PTs per week for a few weeks and regretted it (I also work full time). Time is better spent reviewing/drilling the mistakes from the other 2.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Just finished my last final. I'm about to get good and drunk on some delirium nocturnum and pass out on some PTs to osmose that shit up in my brain.

Stupe

Postby Stupe » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:21 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:Just finished my last final. I'm about to get good and drunk on some delirium nocturnum and pass out on some PTs to osmose that shit up in my brain.

I wish my brain worked like that. Call me Osmosis Jones.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:05 am

Hi all,

Since structure is key for me and others, and keeping motivated is huge too, I'm doing a study group with some of the people taking in Feb. Pretty much we do the same PT or 2 each week, then have an email thread (and perhaps blog like thing) to discuss problem or difficult areas. We might, if people want, also find time that works for everyone and do some sort of chat thing to discuss. This helped me in the past. If you want in, just PM me. We are doing PT 41 starting tomorrow/Friday.

BlaqBella

Postby BlaqBella » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 am

Starting my course with Manhattan today. Can't wait to get hold of the new material and start re-learning the Manhattan approach. :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”