TheMostDangerousLG

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:44 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Done

Have fun. :)

haha I intend to

Edit: you HAD to pick the section with Snakes and Lizards..let's hope this ends well

I know. I'm not a very nice person. :D

How'd it go? That's a pretty brutal section.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:54 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:PT 49 (I think this was fresh, but could have been an Oct test):

175 - 95/100
LG: -0
LR: -1
RC: -2
LR: -2

What an unforgiving curve! I think I'm actually happier with the tighter curves though.

How are you so good at RC?

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Going from a fairly consistent -2 to -3 on a LR section to a -8 suddenly is sign of burn-out, yes?

Or does PT 62 have absurdly difficult LR sections?

Not sure what to think, seeing as how I got a -1 on that RC section, and RC is always the first to go when I get burned out.

In any case, this is absolutely not what I need right now. Confidence just plummeted after yesterday's PT.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:58 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:What is your process for RC?

65 was my 24th official PT. My average for those PT's is -3 RC, so I'm by no means an expert. For some context in the first 12 tests my misses looked something like -1, -7, -2 -2 -6, whereas in my most recent test the numbers were a lot more consistent: lots of -3's a few -2/-4's.

After my first 12 PT's I read the Manhattan RC guide, mainly because I was worried about the variability in my misses, though honestly some of that may have been due to mixing earlier and later tests. The main takeaway I got from MRC is that it is important to read for structure, however when I applied this strategy it ended up hurting me. I think MRC overemphasizes structure, to the detriment of detail. It's true that you need to be aware of the passage structure, but you also need to be actively engaging with the information in the passage.

The thing that has been most helpful for me has been to read slow and engage with the text as much as I can. I also try to finish the first two passages within 15 minutes, leaving myself 10 minutes each for the last two.

As far as process goes, I draw lines to separate each paragraph and pause for 2-3 seconds between them during which I mentally organize everything I've read, and try to anticipate where the passage is going. I don't make notes in the margins but I do mark the text. I underline words that indicate an opinion or value judgement, and I draw a box around author's names, proper nouns, scientific terms, and anytime I see the word "critics." Doing this is helpful for referring back from the questions, but it also prevents me from being able to skim the passage as opposed to engaging with it.

One thing that I heard or read (I can't remember where) is that "if you have to refer back to the passage for any questions other than those that give a line number you are not reading the passage correctly." I try to read in such a way that I am in line with this advice and it has served me well. Read slow.

sublime

Postby sublime » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:14 pm

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:21 pm

edit
Last edited by jad0re on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:27 pm

edit
Last edited by jad0re on Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:41 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Done

Have fun. :)

haha I intend to

Edit: you HAD to pick the section with Snakes and Lizards..let's hope this ends well

I know. I'm not a very nice person. :D

How'd it go? That's a pretty brutal section.

Let's just say that section let me know it was time to call it a night; brain was pretty fried at that point haha

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:45 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Let's just say that section let me know it was time to call it a night; brain was pretty fried at that point haha

Haha, that's fair. That's one of those sections where if you go -0, you can be pretty confident you've got a serious grip on LG.

Adam Banks

Postby Adam Banks » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:45 pm

Just took 66, not really sure what happened on section 2.
RC -6
LR-7
LG-0
LR-4
Ex RC -7

83/100= 165

Not to thrilled but not that disappointed

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:48 pm

jad0re wrote:No, PT62 LR wasn't that hard, I think.
I'm going through something similar though (different tests) and I'm still battling burnout symptoms.
Let's hope this isn't anything indicative of our game day performance.

Word.

This is my third test; I've gone through every previous PT from 40 onward and know every LR and game with absolute confidence. My mistakes mostly come from stupid errors due to inattention more than not knowing something, and the -8 felt like a big slap in the face.

If I do poorly on this test, then I literally have nothing left to study with even if I choose to take it again two years later.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Pneumonia wrote:
Ambitious1 wrote:What is your process for RC?

65 was my 24th official PT. My average for those PT's is -3 RC, so I'm by no means an expert. For some context in the first 12 tests my misses looked something like -1, -7, -2 -2 -6, whereas in my most recent test the numbers were a lot more consistent: lots of -3's a few -2/-4's.

After my first 12 PT's I read the Manhattan RC guide, mainly because I was worried about the variability in my misses, though honestly some of that may have been due to mixing earlier and later tests. The main takeaway I got from MRC is that it is important to read for structure, however when I applied this strategy it ended up hurting me. I think MRC overemphasizes structure, to the detriment of detail. It's true that you need to be aware of the passage structure, but you also need to be actively engaging with the information in the passage.

The thing that has been most helpful for me has been to read slow and engage with the text as much as I can. I also try to finish the first two passages within 15 minutes, leaving myself 10 minutes each for the last two.

As far as process goes, I draw lines to separate each paragraph and pause for 2-3 seconds between them during which I mentally organize everything I've read, and try to anticipate where the passage is going. I don't make notes in the margins but I do mark the text. I underline words that indicate an opinion or value judgement, and I draw a box around author's names, proper nouns, scientific terms, and anytime I see the word "critics." Doing this is helpful for referring back from the questions, but it also prevents me from being able to skim the passage as opposed to engaging with it.

One thing that I heard or read (I can't remember where) is that "if you have to refer back to the passage for any questions other than those that give a line number you are not reading the passage correctly." I try to read in such a way that I am in line with this advice and it has served me well. Read slow.

Great post, thank you very much. My last PT was -1 LR and -0 LG, and -8 RC. It's truly the last hurdle I have to cross in order to become a consistent mid 170s test taker. Do you begin with the RC passage with 8 questions or do you start with the passage with least amount of questions in order to finish the first 2 passages in 15 minutes?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:54 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Can anyone help on on the bicycle game (PT 64, S3)? Plugging and chugging for #15-18 can't be right. That takes up WAY too much time. I'm not drawing any inferences on this game.

I did it recently so I think this is what you are talking about. Two rules that lead to the inferences on the questions: Y1--->S2; and T needs to test H.

The first rule combined with the second rule tells us that Y1 and S2 both can't be H. Also, S2 can't be J because of the no YJ rule. So Y1 and S2 need to be either F or G. Since there are only 4 variables to place per day (and R is restricted from testing F) , that makes it a lot easier to place the others. Did you notice that when you did it?

Thanks. That helps out a lot.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm sooooooooooo tired. I think I'm going to take a week after the test to just SLEEP. I haven't had a break in between the end of the semester and the LSAT to just sleep and chill, guilt-free (without the specter of LSAT-future hanging over my head!).

How many hours per day is everyone studying? I've been putting in about 6-7 on average this week (although it actually goes 12 hours one day, sleep the next, 12 hours one day..).

GuyLafleur

Postby GuyLafleur » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:13 pm

About 3-3.5 hours a day.

Been studying for about that amount for the last 4-5 months and I've been PT-ing in the mid-to-high 170s for a while now so I'm toning it back to a bit less than 3 hours every other day this week.
I'm done with the heavy prep and now it's just time for light review and staying sharp and relaxed. Realistically, I'm not going to learn much new material this week so don't wanna end up over-studying and fatiguing myself before test day.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:I'm sooooooooooo tired. I think I'm going to take a week after the test to just SLEEP. I haven't had a break in between the end of the semester and the LSAT to just sleep and chill, guilt-free (without the specter of LSAT-future hanging over my head!).

How many hours per day is everyone studying? I've been putting in about 6-7 on average this week (although it actually goes 12 hours one day, sleep the next, 12 hours one day..).

Usually about 5/6 hours a day, sometimes maybe more depending on how I feel. Yesterday was a little crazy though and I'm feeling the effects today. Though I still think I can put it in a few more hours at least today. And maybe even re-do LG of PT27.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:32 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:Great post, thank you very much. My last PT was -1 LR and -0 LG, and -8 RC. It's truly the last hurdle I have to cross in order to become a consistent mid 170s test taker. Do you begin with the RC passage with 8 questions or do you start with the passage with least amount of questions in order to finish the first 2 passages in 15 minutes?

I just go in the order that they are presented. I think that trying to go in a different order is a bad idea unless you're only doing three of the passages. If you know you're going to be doing all 4 passages anyway it doesn't make sense to use your time for anything except actually doing them. It takes time to sort by difficulty, and that time is better spent actually reading and working on questions. I think that the first two passages are generally easier than the last two, regardless of the number of questions, even if this isn't the case on the individual level.

Of the methods you mention I am most sympathetic to starting with the passage that has the most questions, but I still don't think it's a good strategy. Counting questions takes time, and I know that for me at least I would inevitably clog my mind with the topics of other passages which would more than outweigh the benefits of going most questions to least.

I should mention that I grew up without a television and that I have never had cable. I learned to read at a very young age and reading has always been my default form of entertainment. I credit whatever amount of success that I have in RC at least 75% to my history of reading casually and no more than 25% to the strategy that I employ.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm

MKX

Postby MKX » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:38 pm

Got a -4 on PT59 games. Yikes...missed the last question of each section except the 3rd game. Felt the games were quite easy too. Hate the MUST be true questions, always take me the longest. I really need to practice making more inferences.

magickware

Postby magickware » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat/matt-shinnerss-2013-june-lsat-predictions/

These are some scary predictions!

How can they be so specific in the predictions?

Though I tend to agree. LSAC has gotten nastier with their tests in the last couple of years. Esp. LG. The LG in the 50s are incredibly easy. The 60s are a world apart from them.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:40 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat/matt-shinnerss-2013-june-lsat-predictions/

I would prefer a harder exam with a looser curve, so I hope he's right.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Time for PT 68.. last time I took this was February 8th (a.k.a. the day before the February LSAT), and I bombed it, freaked out, and then scored the same exact same thing on my LSAT. Trying to complete it on time for a group review session, so I'm not going to be warming up at all before hand.. here's hoping I don't bomb it on take two!

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:43 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:

I'd be down with that! "Type A and high strung" yup, sounds like me

NoWorries

Postby NoWorries » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:20 pm

Yep, I'm hoping for a legendarily hard LG section.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:28 pm

NoWorries wrote:

Yep, I'm hoping for a legendarily hard LG section.

:evil:

I'll remember you if I struggle on test day......... :lol:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”