JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

mvonh001

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:00 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:I'm also trying to decide whether I should take a pt Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, or just Tuesday and Friday. I have two fresh pts that I will definitely take and I planned on retaking 68 Saturday. During my prep I notice I do very well when I pt after two day of not studying at all, so a part of me wants to take the weekend off. Thoughts?

Thats tough to say, as I am in a similar position, but if you think that two days will benefit your score, and you have a large enough sample of data to confirm this assumption then go for it. But not studying at all over two days seems a bit risky TO ME.

after quickly reviewing my past performances on lsatqa, I have come to my conclusion that I need to study the day before because then I get more than 1, or 2, days off then my score dropps dramatically
Last edited by mvonh001 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:05 pm

Finished SPC today (had taken just the first three sections last week). -4, 179. This is an encouraging metric because I had taken this early on in my prep last cycle, over a year ago. Did not feel familiar.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:07 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
Kool-Aid wrote:I'm also trying to decide whether I should take a pt Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, or just Tuesday and Friday. I have two fresh pts that I will definitely take and I planned on retaking 68 Saturday. During my prep I notice I do very well when I pt after two day of not studying at all, so a part of me wants to take the weekend off. Thoughts?

Thats tough to say, as I am in a similar position, but if you think that two days will benefit your score, and you have a large enough sample of data to confirm this assumption then go for it. But not studying at all over two days seems a bit risky TO ME.

I feel like I'll continue pretty regular studying through the test. If what I'm doing now is what is getting me ~170, then I don't see the point of changing shit up by skipping a day or two and potentially throwing a monkey wrench in the situation.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:09 pm

mvonh001 wrote:

Well I haven't took many days off during my prep, but when I have I noticed a difference in how I performed for sure. I think I'm just going to plan on doing all 3. I just know I'm not looking at anything LSAT related on Sunday. Thanks

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

Well I haven't took many days off during my prep, but when I have I noticed a difference in how I performed for sure. I think I'm just going to plan on doing all 3. I just know I'm not looking at anything LSAT related on Sunday. Thanks

Sounds good, are you gonna go T, Th, S? because that will let you review Sunday, Or are you gonna go T, W/Th, F? I'm having this dilemma currently, but I think I'm going to go T, Th, S because,as ive already stated i need to do something LSAT related everyday.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:14 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Finished SPC today (had taken just the first three sections last week). -4, 179. This is an encouraging metric because I had taken this early on in my prep last cycle, over a year ago. Did not feel familiar.

Good job! I know I haven't posted much, but I've been following your progress. I look forward to seeing how well WE all perform on Monday.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:18 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
Kool-Aid wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

Sounds good, are you gonna go T, Th, S? because that will let you review Sunday, Or are you gonna go T, W/Th, F? I'm having this dilemma currently, but I think I'm going to go T, Th, S because,as ive already stated i need to do something LSAT related everyday.

T,TR, and Saturday. I'll just spend that evening reviewing the one from Saturday. It will be a retake of 68 so I shouldn't have to review much (I hope).

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:34 pm

After reading some posts and thinking about it, I've realized I'm probably overthinking it. I'll just do T Th Sat as planned, with some light review early Sunday.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:41 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:After reading some posts and thinking about it, I've realized I'm probably overthinking it. I'll just do T Th Sat as planned, with some light review early Sunday.

Ya so much of this process is mental fortitude. The person who goes into the test knowing he will murk it will walk away from a good score (assuming they put in the work and know what they are capable of)

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Do you guys think a test every day this week is over kill? I've done 1 test a day from this past saturday through today. I'm planning on doing one a day until Friday, then reviewing lightly saturday and sunday.

I saved the the most recent lsat tests for this final week of review.

mqt

Postby mqt » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:33 pm

PT 66:

RC: -1
LR1: -2
LG: -0
LR2: -1

Raw: 96
Scaled: 177

This one felt tricky due to the missed point in scoring on LG. For an easy games section like this, that felt like a point left on the table. Sure, it's a one point difference, but that goes a long way at the top of the scale.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm

I cannot believe I blew a LG section. I was set up to get a -0 with a lot of time left over. First two games finished in less than 10 mins. 3rd game was fucking easy. Then I got stuck on a stupid conditional question saying "if S is earlier than R....then which can be true." Being the dumbass that I am, I tried to come up with hypos that knocked off answer choices. What a dumb choice of a strategy and such a rookie error. I don't know what I was thinking. I grew frustrated. I should have just plugged and chugged. Once I did, I figured it out in like 10 seconds (the answer was A). By the time I got to my last game, I had less than 5 minutes left. I had lost track of time and somehow spent more than 5 minutes being frustrated at what was a really easy problem. I don't know how I lost it. I started out so strong and confident. I had to rush the last game. Ended up getting a -2 in the section and probably a lot of ulcers.

Can't we just have 3 LR sections and 1 RC and get rid of the LGs altogether?!?!

End rant.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:36 pm

californiauser wrote:Do you guys think a test every day this week is over kill? I've done 1 test a day from this past saturday through today. I'm planning on doing one a day until Friday, then reviewing lightly saturday and sunday.

I saved the the most recent lsat tests for this final week of review.

That is precisely what I'm doing.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:42 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:I'm trying to figure out whether to take PTs on Tues Thurs Sat, Tues Fri Sat, or just Tues Fri/Sat this week. I already took a PT on Sunday, so I'm leaning towards just taking two more. With as many PTs as I have taken, it probably won't make a big difference either way, so I'm leaning towards Tuesday and Friday. I think all I can really do at this point is try and stay sharp and avoid burnout.

And to the above post, lawschooltransparency makes it pretty clear that year-to-year, it is very important what school you go to. There's a reason biglaw and clerkship rates don't change drastically every year...

I know this, I'm just trying to be positive for buddy. He seems like he could use it....

Now i know im gonna get shit for being positive since my information is misleading, but sometimes you need to hear lies to make a good decision for your future. (I think that makes sense, Like I said in an earlier post I'm a little brain dead)

I think the nicest thing people can do when it comes to law school advice is give it to them straight. Giving someone "positive" but false advice isn't going to do them any favors, particularly when the consequences of following such advice has lifelong impacts. No one is going to make a good decision for their future believing that it doesn't matter which law school you go to.

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:43 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:I cannot believe I blew a LG section. I was set up to get a -0 with a lot of time left over. First two games finished in less than 10 mins. 3rd game was fucking easy. Then I got stuck on a stupid conditional question saying "if S is earlier than R....then which can be true." Being the dumbass that I am, I tried to come up with hypos that knocked off answer choices. What a dumb choice of a strategy and such a rookie error. I don't know what I was thinking. I grew frustrated. I should have just plugged and chugged. Once I did, I figured it out in like 10 seconds (the answer was A). By the time I got to my last game, I had less than 5 minutes left. I had lost track of time and somehow spent more than 5 minutes being frustrated at what was a really easy problem. I don't know how I lost it. I started out so strong and confident. I had to rush the last game. Ended up getting a -2 in the section and probably a lot of ulcers.

End rant.

You take one of my LR sections and I'll take your LG section.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:43 pm

Wrote my last fresh test.

PT 68:
RC: -2 (meh)
LR: 0 (I think I get LR pretty well now)
LG: -3 (OH GOD WHY :x)

177. Generous curve I think.

I literally had 12 minutes to do the last game. Still had to guess on 4 questions. I didn't spend any time up front because I knew it was fairly back end game.. but even for the questions, I was trying to get something "to work" but honestly it just seemed like there was so much uncertainty in that game... damn. Usually after a conditional question, you at least get SOMETHING to work with -- I couldn't figure out what that "something" was until way too late.

I'm curious to how other people approached the game. Plug and chug? How long did it take you the first time around?

I still hate LG.

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:44 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
I think the nicest thing people can do when it comes to law school advice is give it to them straight. Giving someone "positive" but false advice isn't going to do them any favors, particularly when the consequences of following such advice has lifelong impacts. No one is going to make a good decision for their future believing that it doesn't matter which law school you go to.

I appreciate the encouraging words in this thread from some, but to me I want NU. It's a dream, a goal, something I desperately want so I have to get it now. I want to stay in Chicago since I live near the city, so my other options would be Loyala or Kent......... :cry:

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:50 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:I'm trying to figure out whether to take PTs on Tues Thurs Sat, Tues Fri Sat, or just Tues Fri/Sat this week. I already took a PT on Sunday, so I'm leaning towards just taking two more. With as many PTs as I have taken, it probably won't make a big difference either way, so I'm leaning towards Tuesday and Friday. I think all I can really do at this point is try and stay sharp and avoid burnout.

And to the above post, lawschooltransparency makes it pretty clear that year-to-year, it is very important what school you go to. There's a reason biglaw and clerkship rates don't change drastically every year...

I know this, I'm just trying to be positive for buddy. He seems like he could use it....

Now i know im gonna get shit for being positive since my information is misleading, but sometimes you need to hear lies to make a good decision for your future. (I think that makes sense, Like I said in an earlier post I'm a little brain dead)

+1

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:53 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:I'm curious to how other people approached the game. Plug and chug? How long did it take you the first time around?

I still hate LG.

LGs can suck a big fat d@#$. I'm still steaming.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:58 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:I'm curious to how other people approached the game. Plug and chug? How long did it take you the first time around?

I had about the same amount of time as you before the last game and went -3 as well - all 3 on the last game. Plug and chug is what I did timed which is probably why I got my -3, but upon review there's a more efficient way to tackle this one. I won't ruin it for you though.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:04 pm

PT 65 Today

LR: -1
LG: -5 :shock:
RC: -2
LR: -1

92/174

RC seems to be falling in line nicely. I've got my pacing down and I'm feeling more confident. LR has become a rock solid section for me. Not as draining as before.

I TOTALLY wiffed on LG. I got to G4 with about 10 minutes left. I still went -5/6. I don't know what got into me. It doesn't seem to be a very tough game in the same line as Dinosaurs or Stained Glass Windows. I just couldn't put it together. I took Saturday and Sunday off completely, so it may have been rust, but wow, it still surprised me. Did anyone else have a real tough time with this game?

That being said, a 174 is in line with my PTs. If I can repeat this performance on test day, I'll be very satisfied.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:15 pm

Code: Select all

_ _ _ _ _ _
1   2   3

[GG] R S T W

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:21 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:

I had about the same amount of time as you before the last game and went -3 as well - all 3 on the last game. Plug and chug is what I did timed which is probably why I got my -3, but upon review there's a more efficient way to tackle this one. I won't ruin it for you though.

I did plug-and-chug and it took me almost 15 minutes to go -2. 7Sage has a decent explanation but there wasn't really a huge deduction to make in this game. Just a time-sink.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:51 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:

+1

Noted. I will refrain from blowing smoke up peoples asses.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:56 pm

MKX wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:I cannot believe I blew a LG section. I was set up to get a -0 with a lot of time left over. First two games finished in less than 10 mins. 3rd game was fucking easy. Then I got stuck on a stupid conditional question saying "if S is earlier than R....then which can be true." Being the dumbass that I am, I tried to come up with hypos that knocked off answer choices. What a dumb choice of a strategy and such a rookie error. I don't know what I was thinking. I grew frustrated. I should have just plugged and chugged. Once I did, I figured it out in like 10 seconds (the answer was A). By the time I got to my last game, I had less than 5 minutes left. I had lost track of time and somehow spent more than 5 minutes being frustrated at what was a really easy problem. I don't know how I lost it. I started out so strong and confident. I had to rush the last game. Ended up getting a -2 in the section and probably a lot of ulcers.

End rant.

You take one of my LR sections and I'll take your LG section.

Can someone take my RC section? I'm also willing to trade away my LG section for another LR section. I'd be perfectly content with a 5 LR section test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”