JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:54 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:10 pm

Drilling Most Strongly Support at the moment. Did PT 33 a few days ago and scored a mere 162 :/ AND I took breaks in between sections - not good. Went a bit overboard with time on the LG section as well which doesn't usually happen; games 2 and 4 took up a lot of time. My RC score was abysmal; haven't really worked on RC at all lately. No excuses though. I can't be having the same score on RC in June. Both LR sections went alright although I'm of the opinion the earlier PT's have more obvious wrong answers than the more recent ones so I don't know how accurate these scores are. Plan on doing another PT this week. I've also been following the LSAT Blog 6 month study plan (first few weeks is focused on LG) and have been doing games almost everyday - averaging about 8 mins and -0/-1 each game.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:20 pm

Running through all the RC passages timed in Preptests 29-38 this week; re-drilling all the games timed; untimed drilling my weakest LR question types then its timed sections of 39-50 until 51-62 comes in the mail and its game time ladies and gentleman. With school back in play and my classes being easy as fuck, I am at the library a lot more initiating beastmode for June. WHO GON STOP ME, HUH?

leshachikha

Postby leshachikha » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:42 pm

navaho wrote:
nugnoy wrote:I'm in the same boat - 168 from October. My GPA is low for T14, so my goal is 178+ to maximize my chances. Let's keep each other motivated the next 5 months!

My GPA is absolute dog shit cause of issues out of my control, so hopefully I can explain that in personal statements. But aiming for a 172+ as well, FINGERS CROSSED WE BOTH END UP AT UPENN. But 178 would be absolutely incredible, JUST DON'T LOSE FOCUS, eyes on the prize, all those other inspirational corny quotes :)

This test is so learnable. We are all going to be fine, as long as we put in the time and don't drive ourselves nuts with fear/anxiety.

Ordered my Powerscore Logic Games Bible. It'll be here on Wednesday. Other than that, I don't have a particularly firm idea of how I'm going to schedule my prep. I prepped only lightly/moderately for December (mucked around with bs Kaplan books, then got the Manhattan Logic Games book and took 10 oldish official PTs), but I want to take it more seriously this time. I need to put most of my energy into logic games... but it would probably be a bad call to ignore everything else. It's a bad feeling to eat LR/RC humble pie on test day. What would you guys recommend, if I want to average about 3 hours a day?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:53 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Intro: F, G, H
Adv: X, Y, Z
(J, R)

J(Intro) --- R(Intro) ... R(Intr) ~consec
R(Adv) --- J(Adv)

J: (Intro) ___ ___ X ___ (Adv.)

R: (Adv.) ___ (Adv.) ___ (Adv.) ___

I lost time juggling which was which,

Thanks for the response and correction DD, I did make the distribution inference really quick.
But I did only marked the subset as XA FI till Q14, so I was almost lost and I had to look back and forth.

Then when I came down to Q15, I was like WTF???

Anyway, this game made me feel uncomfortable, and this is probably the only game makes feel so.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:59 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I'll probably just bring three/four logic games that I did previously each day to my easy classes, and redo them, mainly because I enjoy games

MTH2 wrote:re-drilling all the games timed; With school back in play and my classes being easy as fuck, I am at the library a lot more initiating beastmode for June. WHO GON STOP ME, HUH?

This

Daily_Double wrote:I would rather redo problems than listen to my professor's boring lectures in classes which require the intelligence and attention span of a three year old.

:roll: are you sure?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:09 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:14 am

Daily_Double wrote:No problem crazyrobin, sorry I implied you made an inference mistake. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that 1. The classes I intend to do some games in are easy and 2. That it won't affect my GPA negatively. I took 22 hours last semester, all 400 level business classes and got a 3.9, and I'm positive that the 15 hours I'm taking this semester contain at least two classes which require very low attention span, intelligence, and amount of study before tests, maybe not quite 3 year old level, but definitely nothing above high school. Plus I did a couple games in class last semester when I got bored, and I don't see why I shouldn't continue this semester with easier and less class.

That's pretty awesome! I wish I didn't slack off so much and that my GPA averaged around yours ahaha. You sound like a pretty intelligent guy - what's your goal for June?

studied 8:35 today so far... dinner, fill 10+ hours getting as much as done as I can, then rinse and repeat tomorrow.

Why does studying for 4 hours feel so much slower than playing starcraft for 10 hours lol Back when I used to play it it was like sit down in the evening, then boom! it's 8AM and I'm falling asleep fml

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 am

Daily_Double wrote:No problem crazyrobin, sorry I implied you made an inference mistake. And yeah, I'm pretty sure that 1. The classes I intend to do some games in are easy and 2. That it won't affect my GPA negatively. I took 22 hours last semester, all 400 level business classes and got a 3.9, and I'm positive that the 15 hours I'm taking this semester contain at least two classes which require very low attention span, intelligence, and amount of study before tests, maybe not quite 3 year old level, but definitely nothing above high school. Plus I did a couple games in class last semester when I got bored, and I don't see why I shouldn't continue this semester with easier and less class.

No pro bro.
Let's destroy game in June, and hopefully we can nail RC eventually.
8)

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:17 am

nugnoy wrote:Why does studying for 4 hours feel so much slower than playing starcraft for 10 hours lol Back when I used to play it it was like sit down in the evening, then boom! it's 8AM and I'm falling asleep fml

lol don't go down that road. I played dota when I was in UG..... :oops:

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:23 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Drilling Most Strongly Support at the moment. Did PT 33 a few days ago and scored a mere 162 :/ AND I took breaks in between sections - not good. Went a bit overboard with time on the LG section as well which doesn't usually happen; games 2 and 4 took up a lot of time. My RC score was abysmal; haven't really worked on RC at all lately. No excuses though. I can't be having the same score on RC in June. Both LR sections went alright although I'm of the opinion the earlier PT's have more obvious wrong answers than the more recent ones so I don't know how accurate these scores are. Plan on doing another PT this week. I've also been following the LSAT Blog 6 month study plan (first few weeks is focused on LG) and have been doing games almost everyday - averaging about 8 mins and -0/-1 each game.

Drilled 30 MSS questions from the Cambridge Bundle (PT 1 - 38) and went -1 : got number 4 wrong [pt 5 s1 q 1] :x chose B) ; trap answers get me everytimeeee

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:39 am

Picking up prep again tomorrow afternoon. Going to take a diagnostic and see if my skills have diminished from last year.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:57 am

Daily_Double wrote:Goal for June is 175+, although I'm studying for a 180. And nugnoy, my undergraduate GPA isn't very pretty, it's around a 3.2, I had a lot of fun for a couple years then started making straight A's, didn't help that I was pre-med freshmen year... That went well. And crazyrobin, we have enough time to become perfect at RC twice, so I don't think it will be a problem, although I looking forward to the day that it happens.

Oh wow we've actually got more in common than I thought - my LSDAS (or however it's spelled) right around there, 3.3 maybe...retook 2 Fs to B+s but they count them, so they sucked my grade down like ridiculously. I was premed my freshman year too haha. Yeah let's go for that 180. It just sucks that I never realized how GPA would be so IMMENSELY important in everything I do. It sucks knowing that even if I work my ass off now and get a 180 I wouldn't be a strong candidate for HYS - there are just some things that I can't make up. Ah well.

I just wish I was drilling already so I could check like like you guys are. I'm gonna go through all of manhattan, powerscore (bibles, workbooks, and deconstructs), graeme blake's book (just got the first one to check it out), superprep, etc. I want to go through all of them comprehensively, reviewing them at least twice before moving on. So even though I study a decent amount time my progress feels ridiculous slow.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:08 am

nugnoy wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Goal for June is 175+, although I'm studying for a 180. And nugnoy, my undergraduate GPA isn't very pretty, it's around a 3.2, I had a lot of fun for a couple years then started making straight A's, didn't help that I was pre-med freshmen year... That went well. And crazyrobin, we have enough time to become perfect at RC twice, so I don't think it will be a problem, although I looking forward to the day that it happens.

Oh wow we've actually got more in common than I thought - my LSDAS (or however it's spelled) right around there, 3.3 maybe...retook 2 Fs to B+s but they count them, so they sucked my grade down like ridiculously. I was premed my freshman year too haha. Yeah let's go for that 180. It just sucks that I never realized how GPA would be so IMMENSELY important in everything I do. It sucks knowing that even if I work my ass off now and get a 180 I wouldn't be a strong candidate for HYS - there are just some things that I can't make up. Ah well.

I just wish I was drilling already so I could check like like you guys are. I'm gonna go through all of manhattan, powerscore (bibles, workbooks, and deconstructs), graeme blake's book (just got the first one to check it out), superprep, etc. I want to go through all of them comprehensively, reviewing them at least twice before moving on. So even though I study a decent amount time my progress feels ridiculous slow.

Lol, add a third in this camp! Pre-med courses + being irresponsible freshman semester brought what is otherwise a >3.9 GPA down to a 3.5. Blergh! Also had no idea my GPA would be tanked, was so disappointed when I first saw my LSDAS GPA. Here's hoping for 180s all around. ;D

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:01 am

And so the prepping before class begins...have class at 10 been in the library from 6 in the morning...reviewing all my wrong lr problems (reprinted them and breaking em down thoroughly). Yesterday was pretty damn productive. Prepped from 1-9: did like 8 games, an rc section, and 90 LR questions (mostly inference) difficulty 3. Plan is to have drilled everything by the end of february and then pt season starts. So far ive done about half the lr problems in cambridge (about 800/2000). Games, think ive done ilke 30-40 or so but im gonna repeat most of them. This week its a game type and two types of lr problems per day. rc section every other. Have fun this week guys and good luck with your prep .

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 am

shieldofachilles wrote:And so the prepping before class begins...have class at 10 been in the library from 6 in the morning...reviewing all my wrong lr problems (reprinted them and breaking em down thoroughly). Yesterday was pretty damn productive. Prepped from 1-9: did like 8 games, an rc section, and 90 LR questions (mostly inference) difficulty 3. Plan is to have drilled everything by the end of february and then pt season starts. So far ive done about half the lr problems in cambridge (about 800/2000). Games, think ive done ilke 30-40 or so but im gonna repeat most of them. This week its a game type and two types of lr problems per day. rc section every other. Have fun this week guys and good luck with your prep .

Good work!!!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 am

Can someone clarify something: When people talk about "difficulty level 2" or whatever in drilling LR, are they talking about Cambridge actually classifying each problem as a certain level of difficulty? I haven't bought the Cambridge LR packets yet.

Also, is it possible to just buy certain subsets of the LR packets? For example, let's say I didn't need to drill "must-be-true" sections but needed something else.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am

weathercoins wrote:Can someone clarify something: When people talk about "difficulty level 2" or whatever in drilling LR, are they talking about Cambridge actually classifying each problem as a certain level of difficulty? I haven't bought the Cambridge LR packets yet.

Also, is it possible to just buy certain subsets of the LR packets? For example, let's say I didn't need to drill "must-be-true" sections but needed something else.

1, Yes, cambridge lsat classifies every question with difficulty level 1-4, 4 is the hardest

2, Yes you can order different types of LR bundle, just click here: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am

shieldofachilles wrote:And so the prepping before class begins...have class at 10 been in the library from 6 in the morning...reviewing all my wrong lr problems (reprinted them and breaking em down thoroughly). Yesterday was pretty damn productive. Prepped from 1-9: did like 8 games, an rc section, and 90 LR questions (mostly inference) difficulty 3. Plan is to have drilled everything by the end of february and then pt season starts. So far ive done about half the lr problems in cambridge (about 800/2000). Games, think ive done ilke 30-40 or so but im gonna repeat most of them. This week its a game type and two types of lr problems per day. rc section every other. Have fun this week guys and good luck with your prep .

Good stuff! I think it's pretty damn awesome that you're being so dedicated, man when I was taking classes I never got up at 6am to study for even the classes that I was taking... keep the motivation up! I was feeling the temptation to go back to sleep but knowing that someone else is putting solid hours motivates me to give my best too.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 am

crazyrobin wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Can someone clarify something: When people talk about "difficulty level 2" or whatever in drilling LR, are they talking about Cambridge actually classifying each problem as a certain level of difficulty? I haven't bought the Cambridge LR packets yet.

1, Yes, cambridge lsat classifies every question with difficulty level 1-4, 4 is the hardest

2, Yes you can order different types of LR bundle, just click here: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/

Excellent! Thank you!

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 am

Just reviewed a single LR section from the my prep-test, writing out explanations of why answer choices were correct in incorrect on any question I either got wrong is was unsure about. If I am still unsure after writing out explanations and taking another crack at the questions, I go to the Manhattan LSAT message board and look at their reasoning very very closely.

I highly recommend this approach, I feel as if it is increasing my understanding of the section immensely.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”