JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
isuperserial

Silver

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by isuperserial » Mon May 27, 2013 4:09 pm

Well this day sucks. I woke up at 7 AM for work, only getting 6 hours of sleep. The day before I had only gotten 5. Then I realized there was no work today, because of memorial day, but I was already dressed up suit and tie, so I figured I'd stay up. I went to Starbucks to try to take a practice test and a section and a half in I couldn't concentrate because it was so noisy, so I stopped and went home where I tried again. I started fucking up ridiculously and couldn't seem to piece together really simple questions.

I figure it's probably because I'm sleep deprived, so I'm just going to relax today and enjoy memorial day.

I just hate feeling like my brain isn't working right. It makes me crazy with frustration because I KNOW I can do this, I'm just too tired right now.

I hate feeling like this.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 27, 2013 4:20 pm

isuperserial wrote:Well this day sucks. I woke up at 7 AM for work, only getting 6 hours of sleep. The day before I had only gotten 5. Then I realized there was no work today, because of memorial day, but I was already dressed up suit and tie, so I figured I'd stay up. I went to Starbucks to try to take a practice test and a section and a half in I couldn't concentrate because it was so noisy, so I stopped and went home where I tried again. I started fucking up ridiculously and couldn't seem to piece together really simple questions.

I figure it's probably because I'm sleep deprived, so I'm just going to relax today and enjoy memorial day.

I just hate feeling like my brain isn't working right. It makes me crazy with frustration because I KNOW I can do this, I'm just too tired right now.

I think we all have days like that. Yesterday, I did 3 sections of practice and a bunch of LR. I did pretty well on the difficult LR packet, but I got a -2 LG set I had already done before, as well as a -4 and -6 on RC despite it being what I have been trying to improve on.

I spent a few hours relaxing and watching hockey, then woke up refreshed today and ended up PTing with a 180.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon May 27, 2013 4:25 pm

isuperserial wrote:Well this day sucks. I woke up at 7 AM for work, only getting 6 hours of sleep. The day before I had only gotten 5. Then I realized there was no work today, because of memorial day, but I was already dressed up suit and tie, so I figured I'd stay up. I went to Starbucks to try to take a practice test and a section and a half in I couldn't concentrate because it was so noisy, so I stopped and went home where I tried again. I started fucking up ridiculously and couldn't seem to piece together really simple questions.

Pretty much me today. I did a PT and drilled 100 Flaw problems yesterday AND did review. Felt like such a beast. Today, not so much. I'm tired and I can barely concentrate. I'm kind of on the fence about just taking the day off, getting some food, and watch Arrested Development on Netflix.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Mon May 27, 2013 4:28 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:getting some food, and watch Arrested Development on Netflix.
This is literally my day today.

xmking07

New

Post by xmking07 » Mon May 27, 2013 5:02 pm

It sounds like today fucked up everyone. This makes me feel better considering I scored 5 points lower than my avg on the pt I took today.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

meat tornado

New

Post by meat tornado » Mon May 27, 2013 5:26 pm

i need help!

i've been studying intensely for June for a little over three weeks. I have managed to improve from a 160 to a 163 in that time (-6 RC, -3 LR 1, -9 LG, -1 LR 2 on PT 67). My goal is a 172, and I definitely think I can improve my LG score (I haven't spent much time studying them, basic techniques still aren't sticking, etc). That being said, I don't know if I can reach my maximum potential by the 10th, so I'm anticipating taking the October test.

So here's my dilemma: Do you think I should sit for June to get a feel of the test day environment, even though I think my score can drop drastically with a few months devoting to LG? Or will the spread hurt me with T-14 adcoms?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon May 27, 2013 5:45 pm

meat tornado wrote:i need help!

i've been studying intensely for June for a little over three weeks. I have managed to improve from a 160 to a 163 in that time (-6 RC, -3 LR 1, -9 LG, -1 LR 2 on PT 67). My goal is a 172, and I definitely think I can improve my LG score (I haven't spent much time studying them, basic techniques still aren't sticking, etc). That being said, I don't know if I can reach my maximum potential by the 10th, so I'm anticipating taking the October test.

So here's my dilemma: Do you think I should sit for June to get a feel of the test day environment, even though I think my score can drop drastically with a few months devoting to LG? Or will the spread hurt me with T-14 adcoms?
I think a month really isn't enough time, and if you don't have a shot at reaching your goal for the june test, I wouldn't rush it. You have Oct and Dec if needed. The potential benefit of test day experience isn't worth a wasted test that adcomms would see anyway.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon May 27, 2013 6:33 pm

I'm stupid. I took a shower, took some deep breaths, had a glass of water and some lunch, then decided to power through it. I took the June 2009 test, got a 171.

Granted I took two big breaks because I was stressing myself out, but I feel so stupid for getting down on myself over nothing. I think this test is just stressing me out.

June 2009 Test

Raw Score 91/101, LSAT Score 171

Section 1 LR: 23/26 (-3)
Section 2 LG: 23/25 (-2)
Section 3 RC: 24/27 (-3)
Section 4 LR: 23/25 (-2)
Experimental LR: 22/25 (-3)

I guess I was just freaking myself out over nothing. I am officially a huge spaz.

isuperserial

Silver

Post by isuperserial » Mon May 27, 2013 6:38 pm

meat tornado wrote:i need help!

Hey, at this level, any increase is decent progress. You need to throw more than a month and a half at this test though. I would say postpone until October, and really get down to business. Study smart and consistently and you will definitely be able to hit your goal.

I think you'd be better suited paying a friend 20 bucks to watch a movie on their laptop and time you, than to go through the rigors of the actual LSAT and have an unrepresentative score be a potential issue in your application. If you get a 163 now and a 172 later, the 163 might not hurt but it certainly won't help. And if it does hurt, then you just made a foolish decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawschoolplease1

Bronze

Post by lawschoolplease1 » Mon May 27, 2013 8:45 pm

xmking07 wrote:It sounds like today fucked up everyone. This makes me feel better considering I scored 5 points lower than my avg on the pt I took today.

i hate it when this happens.
this is the WORST because you don't know if you're going to start dropping or if it was just a really bad one-time fluke.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Mon May 27, 2013 9:00 pm

It's been a long and unproductive day. I have finished the entire season of Arrested development, ordered delivery twice, and now I'm about to start another six pack.

I'll resume my LSAT prep tomorrow, hopefully feeling very well rested.

Kool-Aid

Bronze

Post by Kool-Aid » Mon May 27, 2013 9:12 pm

I also had a five point let down on the pt I took today. Disappointing but at the same time it may be the kick in the ass I need to push through these last couple weeks.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Mon May 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Daily_Double wrote:It's been a long and unproductive day. I have finished the entire season of Arrested development, ordered delivery twice, and now I'm about to start another six pack.

I'll resume my LSAT prep tomorrow, hopefully feeling very well rested.
I'm only on episode 9. I like how the jokes build up and hit you later in the season. The first 3 episodes seemed pointless until now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

patfeeney

Bronze

Post by patfeeney » Mon May 27, 2013 9:37 pm

SteelPenguin wrote: Are you working at all, or is this the only thing you have to do? I think that the Manhattan RC can realistically be completed in 2 days, and it did help my understanding of RC, even if I am still inconsistent with it. I think you would need to have it finished before the 1 week mark though.

For LG, I would be a little hesitant to change strategies so close to the test, but for RC it doesn't seem to be as big of a deal.
I have a part time job and an internship, but the internship is only 5 hours a day MWF, and the job is only 3-4 hours twice or three times a week. I don't plan on changing any other section strategies except for RC.

I tend to pull 16-17 hour days, so I'm sure I could perhaps read the whole thing in two or three days. If you think it's worth it, then it's probably worth a shot.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon May 27, 2013 9:42 pm

I've finally been drilling individual question types (I'm just drilling difficulty 3 & 4 Qs from the Cambridge packet; doesn't seem worth my time to do the 83490324 easy Qs). Weaken Qs are killing me. Missed 4 of 14 level 4 difficulty Qs- that's a horrendous accuracy rate. Having a similar (though not as bad) experience with highest difficulty flaw Qs.

Don't know how to tighten up my results. Seems like when you get to the highest level of difficulty, some of the answer choices ascribe to a logic that applies only to them. What you learn from a single question may not apply to any other questions you ever come across, even to questions where it should reasonably apply. This is exacerbated by the fact that these packets draw from PTs 1-38, so there's already a slight discrepancy in what sort of logic is or should be consistently to answers between those tests and more modern ones. =\

Sometimes it seems like the trick to solving super difficult Qs is to step back, throw all LSAT-specific logic out the window, and think about the big picture (/the question on a larger conceptual level). It's just hard to know when that's required of you. Blergh.

Ixiion

Bronze

Post by Ixiion » Mon May 27, 2013 10:11 pm

xmking07 wrote:It sounds like today fucked up everyone. This makes me feel better considering I scored 5 points lower than my avg on the pt I took today.
Yep. Got so frustrated today I got really tempted to just say F studying and whatever happens on the test happens. Ended up doing half of PT67 (+LR exp from 49), which is such a waste of a new test, but better than killing myself with this crap and/or quitting studying entirely. Oh well. Ill do the remaining 2 sections tomorrow & just use this as timed section practice rather than full PT.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon May 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

okaygo

Silver

Post by okaygo » Mon May 27, 2013 10:26 pm

I'm naive but I really just have this feeling I can make a 3-5 point gain in two weeks.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 1:01 am

Just took PT 65, one of my last fresh modern tests (only have one 60+ test left to take fresh, ugh). WHAT A MESS.

Misread a rule on the fourth game (which was the second game I worked on), and ended up finishing almost the entire thing before realizing it (and it was a rule that completely changed the game). Had to start it completely fresh, and rush through it and the remaining two games. Ended up having to guess on a couple Qs.

And RC: UGH. I haven't *not* finished an RC section in ages, and I got to the last passage with five minutes. Don't know what happened. Ended up having to completely guess on 4 Qs. Awful, awful, awful.

I ended up deciding that if this was test day, I would have cancelled the score. You can therefore imagine my shock at the results:

PT 65: 177
LR1: -1 (24/25)
LG: -1 (22/23)
RC: -4 (23/27)
LR2: -0 (26/26)
Total: -6 (RS = 95)

What. Ugh.

Even with the pretty good result though, my confidence is pretty thrown. Can't believe what a mess I was during this test. But I guess it supports the logic of some test companies that you shouldn't really cancel just because you thought you were a mess.. who knows though.

Summary: BLECH.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Tue May 28, 2013 1:33 am

I got a 180 and a 172 this weekend so that's kind of scary.

jk148706

Gold

Post by jk148706 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:36 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Just took PT 65, one of my last fresh modern tests (only have one 60+ test left to take fresh, ugh). WHAT A MESS.

Misread a rule on the fourth game (which was the second game I worked on), and ended up finishing almost the entire thing before realizing it (and it was a rule that completely changed the game). Had to start it completely fresh, and rush through it and the remaining two games. Ended up having to guess on a couple Qs.

And RC: UGH. I haven't *not* finished an RC section in ages, and I got to the last passage with five minutes. Don't know what happened. Ended up having to completely guess on 4 Qs. Awful, awful, awful.

I ended up deciding that if this was test day, I would have cancelled the score. You can therefore imagine my shock at the results:

PT 65: 177
LR1: -1 (24/25)
LG: -1 (22/23)
RC: -4 (23/27)
LR2: -0 (26/26)
Total: -6 (RS = 95)

What. Ugh.

Even with the pretty good result though, my confidence is pretty thrown. Can't believe what a mess I was during this test. But I guess it supports the logic of some test companies that you shouldn't really cancel just because you thought you were a mess.. who knows though.

Summary: BLECH.
So, you thought you did terrible, but ended up dominating? And that's bad? Man, I wish I had your problems.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 28, 2013 1:37 am

NoWorries

New

Post by NoWorries » Tue May 28, 2013 1:47 am

How awesome would it be to have your first three sections be a RC, LG and LG.

An experimental logic game is probably worth at least a point or so simply by the fact that it's basically a mental rest.

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 am

NoWorries wrote:How awesome would it be to have your first three sections be a RC, LG and LG.

An experimental logic game is probably worth at least a point or so simply by the fact that it's basically a mental rest.
Are you a masochist? I'd cry if RC is my first section. And it wouldn't exactly be a ball having both LR sections after the break and consecutive. Yikes.

I'd love two LGs (although my confidence might suffer a bit from a weird LG section), or even three LRs, but I had three* LRs last time, so I know the LSAC gods have two RCs in store for me.
sublime12089 wrote:Before I read the actual details I was going to be quite annoyed. I feel you though. Some days are off days, but clearly, you have prepped enough that you can handle it even on your off days. Best of luck :-)
I hope so! And thank you, you too! :)

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Tue May 28, 2013 2:18 am

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”