JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri May 24, 2013 6:14 pm

Are you guys able to view your School Profiles on the LSAC site yet? They received my transcripts more than a month ago, but still nothing. I really want to see just how awful my school does on the LSAT.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Fri May 24, 2013 6:20 pm

Do you guys think there's any issues if I start doing all my application shit after June 10th? I suppose I could easily start requesting shit now, but I really just want to pound out this test then focus on everything else. I know who my letters of recommendation are coming from, those professors are down to write glowing words, and I think two/three months is enough time for them to write those, leaving my transcripts and I guess a couple other things, I'm really not even sure, I've just been focusing on the LSAT instead of looking at the application part of things.

And I want to submit all my application stuff by 9/1. Thoughts?

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Ixiion » Fri May 24, 2013 6:39 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Do you guys think there's any issues if I start doing all my application shit after June 10th? I suppose I could easily start requesting shit now, but I really just want to pound out this test then focus on everything else. I know who my letters of recommendation are coming from, those professors are down to write glowing words, and I think two/three months is enough time for them to write those, leaving my transcripts and I guess a couple other things, I'm really not even sure, I've just been focusing on the LSAT instead of looking at the application part of things.

And I want to submit all my application stuff by 9/1. Thoughts?


Ditto. I want to get them in ASAP, so I've already asked my profs to start their LoRs. IMO I'd say do it. I started on my PSes a month ago & already have my addenda & DSes written out.

That way if any app calls for a particular thing, you'll have more time to do that & won't be freaking out about all of it together.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby isuperserial » Sat May 25, 2013 12:31 am

Ixiion wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Do you guys think there's any issues if I start doing all my application shit after June 10th? I suppose I could easily start requesting shit now, but I really just want to pound out this test then focus on everything else. I know who my letters of recommendation are coming from, those professors are down to write glowing words, and I think two/three months is enough time for them to write those, leaving my transcripts and I guess a couple other things, I'm really not even sure, I've just been focusing on the LSAT instead of looking at the application part of things.

And I want to submit all my application stuff by 9/1. Thoughts?


Ditto. I want to get them in ASAP, so I've already asked my profs to start their LoRs. IMO I'd say do it. I started on my PSes a month ago & already have my addenda & DSes written out.

That way if any app calls for a particular thing, you'll have more time to do that & won't be freaking out about all of it together.


Wait, so do you guys think I should send in my transcripts now? How exactly does one go about doing this?

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Sat May 25, 2013 1:32 am

Transcript and three LRs are already in. Might get a couple more. I haven't even thought about my PS.

I did mine way ahead of time because I no longer live near my undergrad. If you're still in school it's probably something you can get done quickly.

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat May 25, 2013 1:46 am

objection_your_honor wrote:Transcript and three LRs are already in. Might get a couple more. I haven't even thought about my PS.

I did mine way ahead of time because I no longer live near my undergrad. If you're still in school it's probably something you can get done quickly.


Whoa 3 LR's in and you're considering getting a couple more? Dude, you only need two! I'm lucky I have all my shit in so don't have to deal with all that good stuff (well, I only have two LR's in contrast to your whopping 3); although I think my PS definitely needs work so have to deal with that after the 10th. Still have a lot of time though.

User avatar
Ixiion
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:02 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Ixiion » Sat May 25, 2013 7:42 am

isuperserial wrote:Wait, so do you guys think I should send in my transcripts now? How exactly does one go about doing this?


1. If you already have all of your spring grades, I don't see why not. I'm not getting them sent just yet because I have one incomplete. And come end of fall or if somehow your grades change (like if you take summer semester), you can always send another one to update your LSAC transcript.

2. On the LSAC site, if you click on Apply -> Transcripts, there's a "Related Information" menu on the right. The link "Requesting Transcripts" has all the info. Basically you have to ask your UG to mail the transcript directly to their address. It has to come from your UG, not from you.

Law School Admission Council
662 Penn Street
PO BOX 2000-M
Newtown PA 18940-0993


ETA: They also state that you should use their Transcript Request Form, which is found right in your "degree-granting institution" box on that Transcripts page. They want your registrar to attach that form to the transcript when they mail it to them.

When it comes to that form, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. My UG does transcript requests online, so it seems like this forces you to do it in-person rather than online, which kind of sucks.

Question: For those of you who have already sent out your transcripts, do you fill out the entire form minus the one registrar box? Also, the box where it says "RE:", what do you put there? Your name?

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby patfeeney » Sat May 25, 2013 11:48 am

PT 69

Sec. 1 RC: -6
Sec. 2 LR: -3
Sec. 3 LG: -1
Ex. PT 50 RC: -12 :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sec. 4 LR: -2

Score: 169

I don't know how in hell I did so poorly on the experimental. I have never done that poorly on an RC section in the five months I've been studying.
I've noticed my RC scores have been dropping. A month ago I'd be getting -2s or -3s.
I'm going to attribute my big issues to timing. I noticed that, on both sections of the test I spent 12-13 minutes on the first passage, then sped through the last two passages. On the experimental, I got five wrong on the last passage alone, which I gave myself six minutes to complete.
Everything else seems like it's as good as it's going to get. My LR scores are solid, and I've been doing particularly well with my LG. Aside from occasional drills for these two sections, I think prepping buttloads of RC, under strict timing, is what I need to do most in the next 13 days. No more untimed sections for accuracy. I think that threw me off.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat May 25, 2013 12:25 pm

Hey everyone, can someone helpt me with a question from PT8? It's the one from LR1-Q18. I realize my answer (C) was wrong because of the word "accuracy," but I don't see what the implicit assumption is that is mentioned in E. I feel like this is something simple that I am missing, but I can't figure it out.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Sat May 25, 2013 12:45 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Transcript and three LRs are already in. Might get a couple more. I haven't even thought about my PS.

I did mine way ahead of time because I no longer live near my undergrad. If you're still in school it's probably something you can get done quickly.


Whoa 3 LR's in and you're considering getting a couple more? Dude, you only need two! I'm lucky I have all my shit in so don't have to deal with all that good stuff (well, I only have two LR's in contrast to your whopping 3); although I think my PS definitely needs work so have to deal with that after the 10th. Still have a lot of time though.


2 academic, 1 work. But it's been another year, I've worked with other people — I think I could grab one or two more, just to be safe.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat May 25, 2013 1:38 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Transcript and three LRs are already in. Might get a couple more. I haven't even thought about my PS.

I did mine way ahead of time because I no longer live near my undergrad. If you're still in school it's probably something you can get done quickly.


Whoa 3 LR's in and you're considering getting a couple more? Dude, you only need two! I'm lucky I have all my shit in so don't have to deal with all that good stuff (well, I only have two LR's in contrast to your whopping 3); although I think my PS definitely needs work so have to deal with that after the 10th. Still have a lot of time though.


2 academic, 1 work. But it's been another year, I've worked with other people — I think I could grab one or two more, just to be safe.


I think five would be excessive for most schools, and it might actually hurt you. However, a fourth to schools where you are reapplying might make sense. I have three now, and I'll probably be sending all three to at least the schools I'm reapplying to (instead of just the two from this cycle).

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 3:32 pm

PT 65. Possibly last PT I haven't seen at all yet.
LR1: -2 (11,22)
LG: needed extra time, counted those as wrong.. -4 (!)
RC: -2 (8,19)
LR2: -2 (20,24)

LG was atypical, and a similar thing happened on 62. Counting those as wrong gives me a 173 scaled, 91 raw. If I went faster on LG, would have been 95 raw or a 177 scaled. And... no idea what to expect on test day.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat May 25, 2013 4:24 pm

I'm a bit worried about my recs. I graduated two years ago as a Chemistry/Pre-Med major. My two main chem professors were grouchy old Chinese guys who were impossible to chat with. I am just going to try emailing some profs I got multiple A's with, even if they probably won't remember me. Hopefully I can use a great LSAT score as leverage, and try to play the "I desperately need this" card.

My GPA keep me out of YS anyway, and I have only a tiny chance at H. So mediocre recs probably won't be that big a deal for my cycle... I hope.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 5:12 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:I'm a bit worried about my recs. I graduated two years ago as a Chemistry/Pre-Med major. My two main chem professors were grouchy old Chinese guys who were impossible to chat with. I am just going to try emailing some profs I got multiple A's with, even if they probably won't remember me. Hopefully I can use a great LSAT score as leverage, and try to play the "I desperately need this" card.

My GPA keep me out of YS anyway, and I have only a tiny chance at H. So mediocre recs probably won't be that big a deal for my cycle... I hope.


How would you frame your email to them that includes the LSAT score?

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Sat May 25, 2013 5:23 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:Hey everyone, can someone helpt me with a question from PT8? It's the one from LR1-Q18. I realize my answer (C) was wrong because of the word "accuracy," but I don't see what the implicit assumption is that is mentioned in E. I feel like this is something simple that I am missing, but I can't figure it out.


PT 8, S1, Q18: Method of Argument

So here we are looking at what method Smith uses to reply to Jones. Let's take a look at Jones argument:

Jones' Conclusion: It can't be correct that these 13k year old tools belonged to people whose parents first crossed into the Americas from elsewhere.

Why?

Because, according to Jones, they would have had to start migrating before 13k years ago and no tools have been found elsewhere before 13k.

Alright, so we can immediately see the errors in Jones' argument. He has geographic issues. So he concludes that since the travelers must have had to be traveling before 13k, and since they're aren't any tools along the route they traveled, that they didn't belong to the travelers. Do you see the issue here? He takes a lack of evidence to mean the non-existence of evidence. Meaning that, since we haven't found any tools along the path they traveled, they didn't have these tools during their quest.

To use an example to point out the flaw here, and assuming you've seen, or read I guess, any of the Lord of the Rings books/movies, just because we can't find evidence of Frodo carrying the ring of power across Middle Earth doesn't mean that he didn't. What if it was dropped into a flaming volcano and that's why we can't find evidence of it?

So now let's look at Smith's counterargument:

Here we go. Smith claims one reason that could account for the discrepancy, the discrepancy being that the tools were found in South America but not along the way to South America, is that the tools decomposed along the way to the Americas, and because of the uniqueness of American soil, some of them were preserved here. What Smith really does here is attack the assumption in Jones' argument that because we don't have evidence of the existence of the tools along the way to the Americas, they were not carried to the Americas by the travelers.

Let's see if we can find the right answer by process of elimination in addition to our prephrase though:

A: Nope, Smith doesn't mention any studies.

B: Nope. Smith doesn't claim that Jones builds a straw man argument, rather, Smith claims that Jones' conclusion is overstepping his premises.

C: Also no. Smith doesn't take issue with the premises in Jones' argument, instead Smith is claiming here that Jones' conclusion goes too far based upon his premises.

D: Way off.

E: Yes. Smith is claiming that just because we can't find the tools doesn't mean that they were not carried. And he supports this by introducing facts which would account for the disappearance of the tools along the way to the Americas.

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby sl5uw13 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:28 pm

PT 68 (Dec 12) 180!!!!!! Come at me June!

RC: -2 :(
LR1: -0
LR2: -0
LG: -0

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1745
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:31 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:PT 68 (Dec 12) 180!!!!!! Come at me June!

RC: -2 :(
LR1: -0
LR2: -0
LG: -0


Amazing. Good work!

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby sl5uw13 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:39 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:PT 68 (Dec 12) 180!!!!!! Come at me June!

RC: -2 :(
LR1: -0
LR2: -0
LG: -0


Amazing. Good work!



Thanks! This is what a year of studying got me and the retake mantra of TLS. this is my third try so I'm really hoping to kill it.

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby isuperserial » Sat May 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Ixiion wrote:
isuperserial wrote:Wait, so do you guys think I should send in my transcripts now? How exactly does one go about doing this?


1. If you already have all of your spring grades, I don't see why not. I'm not getting them sent just yet because I have one incomplete. And come end of fall or if somehow your grades change (like if you take summer semester), you can always send another one to update your LSAC transcript.

2. On the LSAC site, if you click on Apply -> Transcripts, there's a "Related Information" menu on the right. The link "Requesting Transcripts" has all the info. Basically you have to ask your UG to mail the transcript directly to their address. It has to come from your UG, not from you.

Law School Admission Council
662 Penn Street
PO BOX 2000-M
Newtown PA 18940-0993


ETA: They also state that you should use their Transcript Request Form, which is found right in your "degree-granting institution" box on that Transcripts page. They want your registrar to attach that form to the transcript when they mail it to them.

When it comes to that form, I'm not entirely sure what to do with it. My UG does transcript requests online, so it seems like this forces you to do it in-person rather than online, which kind of sucks.

Question: For those of you who have already sent out your transcripts, do you fill out the entire form minus the one registrar box? Also, the box where it says "RE:", what do you put there? Your name?



Thanks, lxiion! I'll see about sending those in then. I'm curious to see how my LSDAS GPA or whatever pans out.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby jk148706 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:58 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:PT 68 (Dec 12) 180!!!!!! Come at me June!

RC: -2 :(
LR1: -0
LR2: -0
LG: -0


Awesome... Any study tips for us taking the Oct exam??

User avatar
okaygo
Posts: 726
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:23 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby okaygo » Sat May 25, 2013 8:31 pm

So I literally miss every single 'weakens' question in each LR section, and its tethering my score down. Any advice?

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 8:40 pm

okaygo wrote:So I literally miss every single 'weakens' question in each LR section, and its tethering my score down. Any advice?


Cambridge LR packets, you can order just weaken if you want. Drill that shit to oblivion.

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2145
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mqt » Sat May 25, 2013 9:47 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:LG was atypical, and a similar thing happened on 62. Counting those as wrong gives me a 173 scaled, 91 raw. If I went faster on LG, would have been 95 raw or a 177 scaled. And... no idea what to expect on test day.


Glad I wasn't the only one who had issues with that LG section. The first game was so fucking easy that I think it lulled me to sleep.

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat May 25, 2013 9:47 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:PT 68 (Dec 12) 180!!!!!! Come at me June!

RC: -2 :(
LR1: -0
LR2: -0
LG: -0

I know you.

Congrats, by the way. Hope for a generous curve (for a 180 ;) )

User avatar
Ambitious1
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Ambitious1 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:52 pm

PT 63: 91/101 for a 170

LR1: -1
LG: -0
LR2: -0
RC: -9

Second time I've cleared 170 ever, in as many days, and I'm very happy about it don't get me wrong but my poor performances in RC really makes me depressed and gives me anxiety. Almost every time I review RC I say "aha! can't believe I fell for that!" and only end up fucking up again.

The one positive I could take away from this is it's my 3rd LR in 4 tries in getting -0, something I hadn't done ever in the 6 months of previous prep.

Nonetheless, I could use some purp right now.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests