JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

isuperserial

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby isuperserial » Thu May 23, 2013 8:31 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:I loved it. The campus is absolutely beautiful, and the law building/library might be the nicest-looking building I've ever seen. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly, and I could definitely see myself going to school there. I didn't get to walk around Ithaca too much, but I liked the bit of collegetown and Ithaca Commons that I saw. However, if you're used to large cities, you might not be happy with the small-town feel of Ithaca. This isn't too much of an issue for me though, because my home town is only about 2-3 square miles.

For context, the only other schools I've visited are GW, Fordham, and Georgetown.

Awesome! I know it shouldn't be a huge factor, but I find the beauty of my surroundings can drastically impact my mood, which impacts my studies in turn. So that's actually very good to hear that they have a beautiful environment. Thanks for the insight, bud.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:11 pm

So I have no idea how this happened, but..

PT61

LR1 (exp): -4
RC: -5
LR2: -0
LR3: -0
LG: -0

For a 177. I took PT 59 2 days ago and got 165. My 2 previous PTs were 168. I've never gotten -0 on an LR section let alone 2 of them so I felt pretty good :)

I do not think I am a high 170s scorer but I am confident I am flirting with the 170s, this was the type of confident boost I needed. I am trying to read faster and generally go a lot faster in LR especially on the first 15 I just move on as soon as I see the right answer. I'm generally very aggressive now in eliminating wrong answers and I think this has been the key for me.

I think on test day I will take an LR section in the morning. My first LR sections always seem to be the worst.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:So I have no idea how this happened, but..

PT61

For a 177. I took PT 59 2 days ago and got 165. My 2 previous PTs were 168. I've never gotten -0 on an LR section let alone 2 of them so I felt pretty good :)

I do not think I am a high 170s scorer but I am confident I am flirting with the 170s, this was the type of confident boost I needed. I am trying to read faster and generally go a lot faster in LR especially on the first 15 I just move on as soon as I see the right answer. I'm generally very aggressive now in eliminating wrong answers and I think this has been the key for me.

I think on test day I will take an LR section in the morning. My first LR sections always seem to be the worst.

Good call. I've noticed a significant impact on my scores when I started doing 8 LR and a logic game before every test. I'll usually do them while listening to music, completely untimed and unscored. Then I'll stretch, take a drink of water and begin. Your mind, like every other aspect of your body, requires a warm up for optimum performance.

xmking07

Postby xmking07 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:55 pm

NoWorries wrote:Throughout my study I have been fairly consistent with my scores and they have risen gradually. I was starting to feel good with 5 straight over 174 and then, bam a 169 on PT 52. Confidence killer, damn.

I got a 169 also and I've been in the low-to-mid 170s. To be fair, the RC was relatively more difficult than others I've seen been seeing.

melmoththewanderer

Postby melmoththewanderer » Thu May 23, 2013 10:05 pm

PT61

Question for you, Ambitious1. For the RC how did you do fare on time?

Uncle Ruslan

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Thu May 23, 2013 10:40 pm

Just had the best test of my June prep - for a 169. I've scored 180s and high 170s in the past few weeks, but this one's better. The one-way flights game killed me- diagrammed it wrong and sharted myself.

PT40

LR1: -0
LG: - 5
LR2: -5 (this was mental - I knew I messed up earlier and it got to me)
LR: -2

I say it's the best test yet because one rare game caught me off guard, said I had a purty mouf and destroyed my psyche for the next section. That's better prep than you'll find in a modern run-of-the-mill test - a reminder to study for those randoms just in case and a lesson to compartmentalize the sections in your head.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:25 pm

melmoththewanderer wrote:

PT61

Question for you, Ambitious1. For the RC how did you do fare on time?

Pressed as usual, RC is my worst section and -5 is the best for that section in a good while. Finished the 8 question passage on transnationalism in about 11 min, the one on Vermeer in about 9 min, UN human rights in 9, and guessed on 2 at the end :(

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Thu May 23, 2013 11:27 pm

isuperserial wrote:
Good call. I've noticed a significant impact on my scores when I started doing 8 LR and a logic game before every test. I'll usually do them while listening to music, completely untimed and unscored. Then I'll stretch, take a drink of water and begin. Your mind, like every other aspect of your body, requires a warm up for optimum performance.

I'm thinking a tough LG game and a pure sequencing one, an RC passage and maybe half an LR section the morning of game day.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:
isuperserial wrote:

I'm thinking a tough LG game and a pure sequencing one, an RC passage and maybe half an LR section the morning of game day.

Whatever works for you. I feel like I want to do something to get the brain juices going, but nothing that will sap my endurance in the actual test. But if that works for you, then awesome!

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Fri May 24, 2013 12:00 am

Took the December 2008 preptest

Experimental RC: -3
Section 2 LG: -1 (1 minute remaining)
Section 3 LR: -3 (Six minutes remaining O_o)
Section 4 LR: -3 (1.5 minutes remaining)
Section 5 RC: -3

Raw Score: 90/100, LSAT Score 171

Previous Scores from most recent to least: 169, 169, 164, 159, 163

This is the first time I've ever cracked 170!!! AHHHH I'M SO HAPPY! I don't care if it's midnight and it's a thursday, I'm doing a victory shot of grey goose.

Damn, this is just blowing my mind. Before I started going on TLS, I didn't know anything about law school, I probably would have attempted to study once or twice, gotten low 160s, and never met my potential. Now so many options are opening up, this is crazy.

You guys got me to take a Testmasters course. You guys got me to study so many hours a day, every day. Thank you for lighting a fire under my ass.

http://i.imgur.com/U2v0g.gif

Hopefully now I can start consistently getting 170s. I plan on doing at least 3 more tests between now and the next class which is on Wednesday, so we'll see whether this is a fluke or not at that point. I noticed that the LR questions I missed for the most part were ones that I should have gotten, so I suppose that's a matter of being more diligent and not making stupid mistakes.

Anyway, I'm off to the magical land of vodka. Cheers, comrades.

sasquatchsam

Postby sasquatchsam » Fri May 24, 2013 12:31 am

Took PT 64 in my hotel room in Kauai (props to myself for making time to study the LSAT in Hawaii) :D

LR: -0
LG: -5
LR: -2
RC: -1

This makes me feel better than the 167 I got a few days ago. LG keeps kicking my butt a little but I am hoping to improve to a consistent -2 by game day. If I can pull a -2 on 6/10 I am pretty confident I can get that 175 I have been aiming for.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri May 24, 2013 12:39 am

isuperserial wrote:Hopefully now I can start consistently getting 170s. I plan on doing at least 3 more tests between now and the next class which is on Wednesday, so we'll see whether this is a fluke or not at that point. I noticed that the LR questions I missed for the most part were ones that I should have gotten, so I suppose that's a matter of being more diligent and not making stupid mistakes.

Congrats superserial! TLS has been an invaluable resource, and without it I'd probably be paying around 200k to go to a T30 or T1 school this year. Enjoy your night. When I celebrate my LSAT results in late June, I plan on finding the nicest White Russian in Atlantic City.

Blair89

Postby Blair89 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:00 am

isuperserial wrote:Took the December 2008 preptest

Experimental RC: -3
Section 2 LG: -1 (1 minute remaining)
Section 3 LR: -3 (Six minutes remaining O_o)
Section 4 LR: -3 (1.5 minutes remaining)
Section 5 RC: -3

Raw Score: 90/100, LSAT Score 171

Previous Scores from most recent to least: 169, 169, 164, 159, 163

This is the first time I've ever cracked 170!!! AHHHH I'M SO HAPPY! I don't care if it's midnight and it's a thursday, I'm doing a victory shot of grey goose.

Damn, this is just blowing my mind. Before I started going on TLS, I didn't know anything about law school, I probably would have attempted to study once or twice, gotten low 160s, and never met my potential. Now so many options are opening up, this is crazy.

You guys got me to take a Testmasters course. You guys got me to study so many hours a day, every day. Thank you for lighting a fire under my ass.

http://i.imgur.com/U2v0g.gif

Hopefully now I can start consistently getting 170s. I plan on doing at least 3 more tests between now and the next class which is on Wednesday, so we'll see whether this is a fluke or not at that point. I noticed that the LR questions I missed for the most part were ones that I should have gotten, so I suppose that's a matter of being more diligent and not making stupid mistakes.

Congrats man keep it up!!

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Fri May 24, 2013 6:50 am

isuperserial wrote:This is the first time I've ever cracked 170!!! AHHHH I'M SO HAPPY! I don't care if it's midnight and it's a thursday, I'm doing a victory shot of grey goose.

Grats!! I'd say that shot is well deserved. :) Keep it up!

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Fri May 24, 2013 7:14 am

I have a question for everyone, especially those who have already taken the test:

TLS suggests visiting your testing center, and/or practicing in it, a few days before the test. I'm registered to take it in UVA. How do I know what room it's in? The instructions on the ticket say that you'll be given a location to meet up, and from there you'll be directed to a specific building/room. So. When people are suggesting that, do they just mean any room in the area, since they're likely to be similar? Or does the ticket actually specify which room (doesn't seem like it would, but right now it's just blank)? Or do you just... ask someone there at the University what room it'll be in?

The university is pretty big, don't imagine I'd even know what section of the university it'd be in, let alone what building -- let alone what room!

xmking07

Postby xmking07 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:31 am

Ixiion, Your admissions ticket will provide the address and building that the testing room will be located. There will be people in the building to guide you to the room your test will be in. So, just make your way to UVA and find out where the building is. If you don't know exactly, find it on google maps or ask around.

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am

xmking07 wrote:Ixiion, Your admissions ticket will provide the address and building that the testing room will be located. There will be people in the building to guide you to the room your test will be in. So, just make your way to UVA and find out where the building is. If you don't know exactly, find it on google maps or ask around.

Thanks, but I don't mean on the day of (I'm assuming you are by the "people... to guide you" statement.) I'm referring to if I want to practice in it during the days leading up to the test.

lawschoolplease1

Postby lawschoolplease1 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:45 am

Ixiion wrote:
xmking07 wrote:Ixiion, Your admissions ticket will provide the address and building that the testing room will be located. There will be people in the building to guide you to the room your test will be in. So, just make your way to UVA and find out where the building is. If you don't know exactly, find it on google maps or ask around.

Thanks, but I don't mean on the day of (I'm assuming you are by the "people... to guide you" statement.) I'm referring to if I want to practice in it during the days leading up to the test.

interested in the answer to this as well...
been wondering the same thing.

though i'll be in FL for memorial day weekend, so I won't be getting much, if any at all, studying done this weekend.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Fri May 24, 2013 10:49 am

Ixiion wrote:

When I took the test, the room we were going to be in wasn't available for some reason so we all had to walk a few blocks in a huge line, pencils and testing tickets in hand, down to another building. I know a lot of TLSers liked taking PTs in the room where the test would be, but even if you find out where it will be, stay flexible.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 24, 2013 10:52 am

Ixiion wrote:I have a question for everyone, especially those who have already taken the test:

TLS suggests visiting your testing center, and/or practicing in it, a few days before the test. I'm registered to take it in UVA. How do I know what room it's in? The instructions on the ticket say that you'll be given a location to meet up, and from there you'll be directed to a specific building/room. So. When people are suggesting that, do they just mean any room in the area, since they're likely to be similar? Or does the ticket actually specify which room (doesn't seem like it would, but right now it's just blank)? Or do you just... ask someone there at the University what room it'll be in?

The university is pretty big, don't imagine I'd even know what section of the university it'd be in, let alone what building -- let alone what room!

I took mine (and am retaking) at UMD. Unfortunately, rooms are often locked on weekends, so never could PT in the building. Exact room was determined based on last name at arrival. Just find a classroom to PT in, and do it there... try a large and small classroom just in case the room is changed.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 24, 2013 10:59 am

Oy. Just saw my LSAT admission ticket. Taking the test in a windowless room in a dingy basement in an old building on campus. Good to know and mentally prepare, I thought it was somewhere else.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri May 24, 2013 11:28 am

wtrcoins3 wrote:Oy. Just saw my LSAT admission ticket. Taking the test in a windowless room in a dingy basement in an old building on campus. Good to know and mentally prepare, I thought it was somewhere else.

It's somewhat surprising to me that there aren't more uniform standard for test-taking rooms. I've heard of people being stuck in small desks or dark rooms, and even having to put up with band practice. I realize stuff like the band practice is often a misunderstanding or lack of coordination, but small desks sound like a nightmare, especially with the new LGs.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri May 24, 2013 11:32 am

My test is apparently being given in "Lecture Hall"...

Either Binghamton blows at naming buildings, or finding this is going to be a nightmare.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 24, 2013 11:46 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:My test is apparently being given in "Lecture Hall"...

Either Binghamton blows at naming buildings, or finding this is going to be a nightmare.

There's this building... near woods... that is just like 2 big lecture halls there. I didn't go there, I just remember it...

I'm sure this was incredibly helpful to you.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 24, 2013 11:48 am

SteelPenguin wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:Oy. Just saw my LSAT admission ticket. Taking the test in a windowless room in a dingy basement in an old building on campus. Good to know and mentally prepare, I thought it was somewhere else.

It's somewhat surprising to me that there aren't more uniform standard for test-taking rooms. I've heard of people being stuck in small desks or dark rooms, and even having to put up with band practice. I realize stuff like the band practice is often a misunderstanding or lack of coordination, but small desks sound like a nightmare, especially with the new LGs.

Omg, band practice during the LSAT would be the most comical thing ever if this wasn't like... the most important test of my life.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”