JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

fromtheotherend

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby fromtheotherend » Tue May 21, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm averaging in the late 160s now and my weakness lies mainly in the LR sections. if anyone here woukd be up for some skype study sessions where we would pound out LR questions and quiz each other, PM me!

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Tue May 21, 2013 2:28 pm

PT 58. I attribute my low score to the heat (90 and humid, nowhere to breathe/concentrate), but I'm beginning to settle with the idea that I won't get higher than a 167 on June 10th. This is extremely upsetting, but I can only deal with what I have, I guess.

Sec. 1 LR 23/26
Sec. 2 RC 20/27
Sec. 3 LG 20/23
Sec. 4 LR 22/25

My absolute worst RC score in a while; everything else is on par. The heat made me so drowsy (also I didn't have any caffeine or energy supplements beforehand) that I almost fell asleep halfway through the 3rd passage and had to take a five-minute rest and restart it. I was expecting a low score from that section, and I'll probably redo that 3rd passage, which I got four wrong on. I'll also partially attribute my failure to succeed on reading comp to the fact that I've read about 500 pages of nonfiction over the past day and a half and I can barely concentrate while reading. Maybe a break for a few hours would have helped? What do you guys think?

Anyway, extremely disappointing. I hope to take a 5-sec. test on Saturday, adequately prepared, to see if there's an improvement. After all the time/money put into this, it's sad that I can't break 170.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:47 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I have a question, I have 9 PT's left before June 10th. I planned on taking 1 on Monday Wednesday and Friday with the other days to review and drill (This week i have to PT on tuesday thursday and saturday). I have just ordered the LSAT Trainer and will be getting it tomorrow. I was wondering if I should continue to PT as usual, or if I should focus on drilling today and start reading the LSAT Trainer on Wednesday then continue PTing on Thursday, or finish reading it on thursday, then continue my PTing on Friday, But if i do that then i lose 2 possible PT's, but i would imagine that if I drill these next 3 days and not just sit on my ass than that will benefit my score more than taking PT's unprepared.

Im confused as to how to proceed, do I take the PT's or give it a couple of days to review and drill?

I also planned on drilling all of the 30-40 LR question types that posed a problem to me, but if I don't take my next PT until friday, I may drill every type of LR question 30-40. Let me know what you guys think.

How far away from your target score are you? I'd say drilling is actually more useful for learning the material while PTs are more about endurance and pacing. From your post it sounds like the drills would be more important.

I'm currently 3 points from my max pt to my desired score

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Tue May 21, 2013 2:59 pm

patfeeney wrote:PT 58. I attribute my low score to the heat (90 and humid, nowhere to breathe/concentrate), but I'm beginning to settle with the idea that I won't get higher than a 167 on June 10th. This is extremely upsetting, but I can only deal with what I have, I guess.

Sec. 1 LR 23/26
Sec. 2 RC 20/27
Sec. 3 LG 20/23
Sec. 4 LR 22/25

My absolute worst RC score in a while; everything else is on par. The heat made me so drowsy (also I didn't have any caffeine or energy supplements beforehand) that I almost fell asleep halfway through the 3rd passage and had to take a five-minute rest and restart it. I was expecting a low score from that section, and I'll probably redo that 3rd passage, which I got four wrong on. I'll also partially attribute my failure to succeed on reading comp to the fact that I've read about 500 pages of nonfiction over the past day and a half and I can barely concentrate while reading. Maybe a break for a few hours would have helped? What do you guys think?

Anyway, extremely disappointing. I hope to take a 5-sec. test on Saturday, adequately prepared, to see if there's an improvement. After all the time/money put into this, it's sad that I can't break 170.

Depending on how long you've been prepping, it might make some sense to take in October. Like you, I'm frustrated about not exceeding 170, but I'd get more from my prep, I think, if it were more spaced out. Still signed up for June, but unless I get a couple tests past 170 before then, I'm delaying.

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Tue May 21, 2013 6:06 pm

Did PT 56, but it's technically a retake - I did it back in August last year, but I only recognized two questions and one passage in RC.

Experimental LR: -3 (PT31 Section 3)
LG: -0
LR1: -0
LR2: -3 (I don't even know what happened. I finished this section with about 10 minutes left over.)
RC: -2

Raw: 95, Scaled: 176.

First time I get anything above a 172. And it's kind of funny - I went back to check what I got wrong this time compared to back in August and everything I got wrong this time, I got right last time. And for 3 of those, I had originally circled TCR then erased them during review and put the wrong answer. There was only one LR question I got wrong both times.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 21, 2013 6:42 pm

I did my drilling today, I did all of the 30-40 Questions for Point and Method Argument, and Just the level 3 and 4 of Strengthen and Necessary assumption. I got -1/16 on Point and -1/15 Strengthen, on Method Argument I got -4/16, and on necessary assumption i got -8/22. I bombed necessary assumption, I dont negate any of my answers i figured out. When i negate an answer I usually go with the "it is not true that ..." approach to avoid any confusion with some,most,always,never, etc. I'm going to drill more 3's and 4's from 20-30 of necessary assumption and method argument thursday, as I'm going to drill flaw weaken and sufficient assumption tomorrow. As well as read my new book coming in the mail, The LSAT Trainer. I figured this drilling is invaluable for me and I can make up my time for PTing next week, ill just go back to back to back to back to back to back starting Sunday and review after I finish each exam.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue May 21, 2013 9:55 pm

What do you guys think the plan for the night before should be? Right now I'm thinking the move to make is to grab a few, between four and seven, drinks, eat a satisfying dinner, and sleep by ten. Then workout the next morning, eat a power breakfast, and penetrate PT 69.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:06 pm

Daily_Double wrote:and penetrate PT 69.

I see what you did there. Or it might just be my adolescent mind at work.

Either way, the night before I'll try (I know it's not going to happen) to be asleep by 12 am. I might watch an inspirational movie or something before going to bed. Wake up around 8 ish - might go for a run at my gym.. maybe do 7,8 laps around the track. Come home, eat some eggs/bagel, do a few logic games (nothing too hard), some LR Q's, and then grab a coffee and proceed to fuck up 69.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:

Either way, the night before I'll try (I know it's not going to happen) to be asleep by 12 am. I might watch an inspirational movie or something before going to bed. Wake up around 8 ish - might go for a run at my gym.. maybe do 7,8 laps around the track. Come home, eat some eggs/bagel, do a few logic games (nothing too hard), some LR Q's, and then grab a coffee and proceed to fuck up 69.

Are you going to be warming up with Difficult LR? or easy, seen before LR?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue May 21, 2013 11:13 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:

I would recommend against new material the day of the test. The last thing you want to do is go into the test on a bad note. I'd recommend a favorite LG and some easy or familiar questions.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:15 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:

No idea. Doesn't really matter to me; they should all be "easy" LR at that point. I'll probably do random questions from the cambridge PDF's

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:

No idea. Doesn't really matter to me; they should all be "easy" LR at that point. I'll probably do random questions from the cambridge PDF's

word.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue May 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Daily_Double wrote:What do you guys think the plan for the night before should be? Right now I'm thinking the move to make is to grab a few, between four and seven, drinks, eat a satisfying dinner, and sleep by ten. Then workout the next morning, eat a power breakfast, and penetrate PT 69.

I don't even know. All I know is that last test, I promised myself I'd be getting 8 hours of sleep at least two weeks in advance of the test (I have a problem with pulling constant [frequently unnecessary] all-nighters and getting very few hours on the nights I actually do sleep), and then ended up doing.. not that. Pulled three all-nighters in the five weekdays before the test, and ended up getting 6 or 7 hours of sleep the night before. Also had thought I'd get a lot more studying and review done that week, but lack of sleep complicated that. Ended up being a mess.

This time, I'm .. well, promising myself I'll get 8 hours of sleep a night the week of (at least), and the day before, will probably either retake a test I have already done okay on (don't want to psych myself out with a bad take day before.. which I also did last time), or else go through a bunch of old taken practice tests. Not going to do anything out of the ordinary in terms of food or activity, main effort will be on just keeping calm and collected.

And seven drinks the night before the test? Sure, I'd like to loosen myself up before I go in for 69, but you want to make sure you don't wake up test day with any regrets. Always practice safe test taking.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue May 21, 2013 11:56 pm

It's at 1:00 PM. And there's no correlation between the relative emptiness of a six pack/bottle of booze/bottle of wine and my scores the next day, which I usually begin before 10:00 AM. So I think I'll be fine. But just to be safe, I'll probably try to keep it to four drinks. But I like what you did there with the safe testing phrase.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed May 22, 2013 2:02 am

Night before test:

I live in a loud area of DC (near a college), and my friend works for a nice hotel chain.... so I was able to get a free room for the night of June 9th. Hopefully be able to sleep well there. Wake up at 730 or 8 (unless I have trouble falling asleep, in which case I'll adjust it a bit to add 30-60 minutes to that), go for a quick run and maybe very light workout, have some coffee, and then breakfast sandwich. Do 2 or 3 quick LG's (probably a easy grouping and moderate linear) and some easy LR's (probably the first 10 from a section I did, maybe from PT 68), head to test center, maybe bring a few more LR questions or a game to do outside.

Also planning on gradually moving my sleep schedule back to be more normal. I had planned to be asleep by 1 tonight... so much for that.. I think in the 10 days or so before the test I'll really start waking up around 730/8 and going to sleep earlier too. Definitely early sleeps every night of the weekend leading up to test.

Re the light to moderate drinking--- y'all think it's a good idea? I'm worried it'll affect me the next day, even though it hasn't really in the past...

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Wed May 22, 2013 7:34 am

Re: Night before/Morning of.

Honestly, everyone is different so y'all shouldn't take what I say as an affront to your plans, but I would never study for the entire night before and the day of. My plan is to do some review on the day before, drill a few of the questions I know I'm having problems with (PARALLEL, I FREAKING HATE YOU!), and then close the book and lie back and watch some TV at night. Morning of, I won't touch any books.

I just feel that drilling and practicing the night before and the morning of would make you freak out even more. And as a lot of TLSers have said, confidence is a big thing for the LSAT. Anxiety and adrenaline are great and will help us all do better on the day of, but I wouldn't want to push adrenaline into insecurity, terror, or nervous breakdown territory. I can also imagine that with the terror, you'd likely get more questions wrong on the night before/morning of, simply out of fear blocking your mind, which will only make you even more scared right before the test.

In other words, it's exactly what SteelPenguin said:
I would recommend against new material the day of the test. The last thing you want to do is go into the test on a bad note. I'd recommend a favorite LG and some easy or familiar questions.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Wed May 22, 2013 8:44 am

Otunga wrote:Depending on how long you've been prepping, it might make some sense to take in October. Like you, I'm frustrated about not exceeding 170, but I'd get more from my prep, I think, if it were more spaced out. Still signed up for June, but unless I get a couple tests past 170 before then, I'm delaying.

Unfortunately, I've been studying steadily since January. I'm not sure if waiting until October will do me any good. I have 5-6 more tests lined up before the 10th, so we'll see how those go. Also, I've already had one 170 two tests ago, so it's not entirely impossible. I just can't work while tired and in oppressive heat; that double whammy makes it impossible to concentrate.

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed May 22, 2013 10:15 am

Day before the test, 1 section of LR, 1 LG, and 1 RC passage in the morning. Go for a 10k and workout in the afternoon. Salmon and brown rice for dinner.

Morning of PT69, do my usual PT routine. Wake up around 9, eat my Irish oatmeal with blueberries, short walk around the block (probably won't run before the test, I tend to lose focus after a run), SoDoku puzzle, shower, 1 LG, first 10 qs of a LR, drive to my test center, 180.

mlansky

Postby mlansky » Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm

Just want to wish all you brave souls luck with the June LSAT. I spent a chunk of time lurking in this thread but, as I just officially changed my date to October, I'll probably be emigrating to the October Study thread now. But I sincerely hope you guys all don't stress too much and walk away June 10th knowing that you gave it 180%.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed May 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Anybody have personal insight/experience or opinions into how much retaking an LSAT, or retaking sections, affects score the second time seeing sections? Do you usually remember the right answer for LR/RC or the setups and inferences for LG? Trying to get a baseline of where I stand for June, and I've pretty much seen everything at some point in the last few years, since I took the real thing in 2011.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed May 22, 2013 1:51 pm

mlansky wrote:Just want to wish all you brave souls luck with the June LSAT. I spent a chunk of time lurking in this thread but, as I just officially changed my date to October, I'll probably be emigrating to the October Study thread now. But I sincerely hope you guys all don't stress too much and walk away June 10th knowing that you gave it 180%.

Good luck in October, see you on the school application/waiting threads in a few short months :)

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed May 22, 2013 3:36 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Anybody have personal insight/experience or opinions into how much retaking an LSAT, or retaking sections, affects score the second time seeing sections? Do you usually remember the right answer for LR/RC or the setups and inferences for LG? Trying to get a baseline of where I stand for June, and I've pretty much seen everything at some point in the last few years, since I took the real thing in 2011.

LR - Generally not, unless it was a particularly tricky question or a memorable one, like the cows and methane. A few qs here and there, but not a section.

LG - Some I remember seeing before, but I don't remember completely how to solve it. I'll find the rule or deduction that breaks the game open and then remember having known it before. I have no problem doing games over and over and over. They reuse the same tricks over and over again.

RC - I remember getting f***ed by the Noguchi passage, that's it. Also remember the early music passage and the adversarial vs inquisitorial passage for some reason.

I had some time away though, took in Oct '12, didn't look at LSAT stuff again until March.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed May 22, 2013 3:41 pm

word of advice for those with gfs/FWB/whatever. hang with them the night before or if you have a really good friend, hang with that friend the night before. worked wonders for me and i have HUGE test anxiety issues

Blair89

Postby Blair89 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Just did PT 56
LG: -0
LR1: -5
LR2: -7
RC: -10 (ouch!)

Scaled 162, I'm Canadian and the school im going for up here weights GPA higher then the LSAT, so I don't quite need the 175+ that many of you are gunning for. Nonetheless, stupid RC and dumb mistakes on LR (down to two and choosing the wrong one consistently on the ones I get wrong) are holding me back from cracking 165, which would make me a lock for the schools I am applying for.

Good luck everyone keep up the hard work we'll get there just gotta keep grinding.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Wed May 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Liking MLSAT LR. I like how they visually interpret the premises and the conclusion (the core), as it's helpful with assumption questions when you have to fill in the gap. Their discussion of the subtle differences between sufficient and necessary assumptions is also helpful - I didn't get this sort of understanding from LRB.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”