JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

californiauser

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby californiauser » Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 pm

How do you guys warmup prior to completing a practice test? or do you just dive right in?
Last edited by californiauser on Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:35 pm

Otunga wrote:
AT9 wrote:Took PT 66 today - 5 sections, in a fairly busy library, and started pretty much the same time as the test start time.

Scored 167.

-5 CR
-2 LR
-3 LR
-6 LG

The problem is that I ran out of time on CR - I had to guess the last three questions and got them wrong. Had the same problem on LG. Was only able to guess the last game, and got all 5 wrong. On the plus side, half of the questions I missed were simply guesses and I was still able to manage a 167 (goal is 170). The obvious downside is that I had to guess on 8 questions to begin with. Two questions for you all:

1. Any good way to improve raw speed on CR and LG other than just drilling them in the last three weeks?

2. I have to drive about an hour to my test center. I'm driving over on Memorial Day to find the campus and building, etc. Has anyone had experience with a long-ish drive? Is it best to drive yourself, have someone else drive, etc.?

We seem to be in very similar spots. What was your diag and how long have you been prepping? I also have issues with timing in RC and LG (more so on RC). Like you, I got -5 on RC today and had to outright guess at 3 of them on my last passage, which were all wrong. I haven't had much trouble with LR timing, but appropriately enough, that's also my weakest section.

I didn't really take an official diagnostic (I know, I know, I should have). My first timed tests were around 158-160, but that was after going through the PS Bibles.

I started going through the bibles in the fall with no serious PTs or drilling. Took a break in December because of various issues, tried to cram for February and I bailed because by PT scores were stagnant around 160. I picked back up in March and my PT scores (both split up and together) have ranged from 163-170.

I feel good about my LG accuracy, but as with you, it's just tough to get through all of it. I'll be drilling during the week and doing PT's on the weekends until the test. I'm hoping the extra familiarity by that point will help me get over that hump!

What about you?

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:38 pm

californiauser wrote:How do you guys warmup prior to completing a practice test? or do you just dive right in?

Today I went through a pretty easy 5-question LG and reviewed a few missed LR questions before diving in. I thought it was helpful.

With LG especially, doing an easy game that I had completed recently helps get my mind in LSAT mode and builds my confidence going forward. I'll probably do something similar on test day.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat May 18, 2013 11:42 pm

californiauser wrote:How do you guys warmup prior to completing a practice test? or do you just dive right in?

I'll redo the first game, first ten LR questions, and reread the first passage in RC of the PT I completed most recently. Though when I do back-backs, I just dive in.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat May 18, 2013 11:46 pm

AT9 wrote:
Otunga wrote:
AT9 wrote:Took PT 66 today - 5 sections, in a fairly busy library, and started pretty much the same time as the test start time.

Scored 167.

-5 CR
-2 LR
-3 LR
-6 LG

The problem is that I ran out of time on CR - I had to guess the last three questions and got them wrong. Had the same problem on LG. Was only able to guess the last game, and got all 5 wrong. On the plus side, half of the questions I missed were simply guesses and I was still able to manage a 167 (goal is 170). The obvious downside is that I had to guess on 8 questions to begin with. Two questions for you all:

1. Any good way to improve raw speed on CR and LG other than just drilling them in the last three weeks?

2. I have to drive about an hour to my test center. I'm driving over on Memorial Day to find the campus and building, etc. Has anyone had experience with a long-ish drive? Is it best to drive yourself, have someone else drive, etc.?

We seem to be in very similar spots. What was your diag and how long have you been prepping? I also have issues with timing in RC and LG (more so on RC). Like you, I got -5 on RC today and had to outright guess at 3 of them on my last passage, which were all wrong. I haven't had much trouble with LR timing, but appropriately enough, that's also my weakest section.

I didn't really take an official diagnostic (I know, I know, I should have). My first timed tests were around 158-160, but that was after going through the PS Bibles.

I started going through the bibles in the fall with no serious PTs or drilling. Took a break in December because of various issues, tried to cram for February and I bailed because by PT scores were stagnant around 160. I picked back up in March and my PT scores (both split up and together) have ranged from 163-170.

I feel good about my LG accuracy, but as with you, it's just tough to get through all of it. I'll be drilling during the week and doing PT's on the weekends until the test. I'm hoping the extra familiarity by that point will help me get over that hump!

What about you?

I took the diag in mid-March, got 153 (-13 on LG), dove into the LGB and LRB, then did some drilling (LG emphasis). On my next PT (around 3 weeks after the diag?), I got 160. Since my LG was significantly improved, I started to emphasize LR drilling. My LR average total was about -16 at first, and now it's between -8 to -10. On my third PT, I got 167. But three tests later, my progress has halted with a 167, 168 and a 165 today. And the culprit is my lackluster LR, so I ordered MLSAT LR in hopes of getting that down significantly over the next three weeks. If not, I may have to delay. But if my timing improves on RC and LG, I think I can miss about -4 there combined, or even -3. So I have plenty to work on.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Sat May 18, 2013 11:56 pm

Otunga wrote:
I took the diag in mid-March, got 153 (-13 on LG), dove into the LGB and LRB, then did some drilling (LG emphasis). On my next PT (around 3 weeks after the diag?), I got 160. Since my LG was significantly improved, I started to emphasize LR drilling. My LR average total was about -16 at first, and now it's between -8 to -10. On my third PT, I got 167. But three tests later, my progress has halted with a 167, 168 and a 165 today. And the culprit is my lackluster LR, so I ordered MLSAT LR in hopes of getting that down significantly over the next three weeks. If not, I may have to delay. But if my timing improves on RC and LG, I think I can miss about -4 there combined, or even -3. So I have plenty to work on.

Good luck with everything! What are you aiming for?

My goal is 170, but I probably won't retake with anything 165+. I think that score with my GPA would get me good scholarships at some top 50 schools, which I would be satisfied with. I'm not set on biglaw or anything.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun May 19, 2013 12:20 am

AT9 wrote:
Otunga wrote:

Good luck with everything! What are you aiming for?

My goal is 170, but I probably won't retake with anything 165+. I think that score with my GPA would get me good scholarships at some top 50 schools, which I would be satisfied with. I'm not set on biglaw or anything.

I'd like to at least get 172. Anything under that and odds are I'd retake. A 171 would be awkward, but hell, I certainly wouldn't complain.

I'm also not set on biglaw, but I would like some flexibility as to where I can plausibly get a (good) job after graduation. I'm from Massachusetts/Rhode Island, so it probably makes sense that I'm going for H. Stay local for school but also have the ability to maneuver that degree somewhere else if desired.

Basically, if I have no test scores in the 170s by next week (after a few days of MLSAT LR and more drilling ), then I'm going to delay to October.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 am

Daily_Double wrote:

I'll redo the first game, first ten LR questions, and reread the first passage in RC of the PT I completed most recently. Though when I do back-backs, I just dive in.

+1

Sometimes I skip the RC passage, but the first 10 LR thing is super important.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Sun May 19, 2013 3:17 am

Took the October 2011 test today...

Raw Score 87, LSAT Score 169

Section 1 LR: -3
Section 2 LG: -4
Section 3 LR: -4
Experimental LR: -2
Section 5 RC: -3

Previous scores from most recent to least, 169, 164, 159,163.

On the one hand, I think I'm making pretty clear progress with the 159 being a pretty clear outlier. Also getting 169 two times in a row could be worse, at least it sort of solidifies the fact that that's pretty much where I'm at right now. Bumping that up by a point or two by the time test day hits seems really feasible. On the other hand, I would have liked to see some sort of increase, and it's going to be harder to kick it up a notch now that my internship has started. I would reaaaaaally like to hit a 171 or a 172 so I can get into Penn, or into UMich or something with a bit of money. Because as it stands right now, if I don't increase, I'm either probably going to be headed at something near T14 with a bit of money, or throw a hail mary at UMich or Cornell and pray I hit biglaw and get to pay off the debt I would be accruing. If I can increase, maybe I won't have to make that ridiculously difficult choice.

NoWorries

Postby NoWorries » Sun May 19, 2013 3:57 am

Question for those who have taken the test. How strict were your proctors about the end of time? I'm assuming that you are supposed to literally drop your pencil as soon as time is called but is this rule fairly relaxed? Is it likely that you will have 1-3 seconds when the proctor starts to call time in which you can quickly fill in a bubble?

This would make a difference if you are down to the last question or 2 inside a minute (not knowing the exact seconds) and have to decide whether to fill something in while still working the question out. Obviously it would be better to wait to fill in until the last possible moment if possible.

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Sun May 19, 2013 7:14 am

Question. Back in July last year, I took a cold diagnostic and got a 168. I then studied sparingly (ie. I just did PTs and just a little reading in LG bible) for a couple months until mid-September, when I realized that I wasn't going to take the October test. I stopped studying for the LSAT and focused on school. At the time, I was consistently scoring between 169 (lowest) and 171 (highest). Aside from PT62, which destroyed me on LG (-4), I was averaging -1 in LG, -5 combined in LR, and -4 in RC.

Yesterday, I took my first PT (68) since then, as I mentioned earlier, and scored a 172 (-3 RC, -4 LR, -3 LG). I never once ran out of time. I could have gotten a 175 if I didn't erase TCR and put the wrong ones instead during review, but that's still could'a should'a would'a. As for LG, I was annoyed with myself for getting so low, so I did a few untimed LGs from PTs 29-33 and got -0 on all of them, so clearly I'm just over-freaking out about not having studied for months. I'm pretty sure I can drill LG back to a 0/-1 in time for the June test. But my goal is a 175, and there's only 3 weeks left.

Other factors: I work Tues-Fri from 9am-5pm and will have an Incomplete from this semester that I'll have to work on over the summer. However, if I asked, my teacher would probably wait until after the test to start giving me work and whatnot.

Should I postpone the June test until October? Or go for it in June anyway and re-take in Oct if I don't do as well?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun May 19, 2013 11:12 am

objection_your_honor wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

+1

You guys planning on getting to the test center a bit early on 6/10 and doing this outside, or just at home beforehand?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun May 19, 2013 11:47 am

Good question. I'll probably do it outside the test center, if I can bring in extra materials, doubtful, then I'll do them inside of the test center.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sun May 19, 2013 12:59 pm

What do you all consider to be "acceptable" levels of noise while studying? Obviously, it's good to practice for the test with some background distraction in order to prepare your patience.

Regardless, when is noise too much for you? For example, I can work absolutely fine in a noisy library. It tends to become white noise after a while. However, certain isolated noises can thoroughly break my concentration. I often have to study at home, while my family either is watching TV at max volume or is loudly talking about something. These distractions make it nearly impossible for me to focus on anything.

Is it preferable, in this case, to study in absolute quiet rather than in the noisy setting if the noisy setting is unreasonably loud/obnoxious? Or would it be more beneficial to attempt to carry on anyway?

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Sun May 19, 2013 1:01 pm

Last bunch of PTs, from most recent to least recent:

38-176
37-166
36-172
35-174
34-173

Dafuq is with PT 37? Burnout?

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Sun May 19, 2013 1:03 pm

21 days 23 hours!

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun May 19, 2013 1:07 pm

patfeeney wrote:What do you all consider to be "acceptable" levels of noise while studying? Obviously, it's good to practice for the test with some background distraction in order to prepare your patience.

Regardless, when is noise too much for you? For example, I can work absolutely fine in a noisy library. It tends to become white noise after a while. However, certain isolated noises can thoroughly break my concentration. I often have to study at home, while my family either is watching TV at max volume or is loudly talking about something. These distractions make it nearly impossible for me to focus on anything.

Is it preferable, in this case, to study in absolute quiet rather than in the noisy setting if the noisy setting is unreasonably loud/obnoxious? Or would it be more beneficial to attempt to carry on anyway?

Had a really bad time doing 62 yesterday. Just felt waaay off (and score reflected it). And one of the reasons was... quiet library, with some girl that literally (not an exaggeration) was sniffling loudly every three seconds. I thought I was going to go crazy.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun May 19, 2013 1:29 pm

how will I concentrate on the LSAT if my Pacers make it to the finals?

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun May 19, 2013 1:37 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:how will I concentrate on the LSAT if my Pacers make it to the finals?

Put three hours a side for the games, study as usual. That's my hockey playoffs plan.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun May 19, 2013 2:21 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

+1

You guys planning on getting to the test center a bit early on 6/10 and doing this outside, or just at home beforehand?

Probably some before I leave, and then some at the test center. Last year there was a lobby area, and a lot of people were actually looking over sections (many for the first time, I'm sure). Then they assigned us into separate rooms for the actual test — that's when they make you throw away any papers or whatever.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Sun May 19, 2013 2:23 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:how will I concentrate on the LSAT if my Pacers make it to the finals?

Lance STTTephenson will be no match for LeBron. You're in the clear.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun May 19, 2013 2:27 pm

If I'm still 5 points away from my min target score 172 within the next week, what do you guys advise? I don't feel I'm reaching my potential at all, but even so, I could "hit the jackpot" on test day. I know retakes don't matter much to admissions people and so....is it worth just going for it in June, even if I think I could do (reliably) better in October? My gut's saying to take it in October, but it also seems reasonable to just sit for June and see what happens.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Ahh the laziness has overcome me today - haven't done shit. Sundays just tend to have that effect on me :/

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm

There's no stopping the Heat this season, you'll be fine. Expect the series to go 7 though

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Sun May 19, 2013 3:46 pm

Otunga wrote:If I'm still 5 points away from my min target score 172 within the next week, what do you guys advise? I don't feel I'm reaching my potential at all, but even so, I could "hit the jackpot" on test day. I know retakes don't matter much to admissions people and so....is it worth just going for it in June, even if I think I could do (reliably) better in October? My gut's saying to take it in October, but it also seems reasonable to just sit for June and see what happens.

That's a solid score to shoot for, but to expect an increase of 5 points over just a couple weeks before the test is a bit much when you're at the level you're at right now. By that, I mean to say that when you are at the top of the 160s or bottom of 170s, any increase at all is done by scrabbling for inches with your fingernails. That's not to say you cannot do it, but just that expectations are somewhat meaningless. You try your hardest and results happen; expectations are irrelevant. One point or two points of increase at 165 or higher is a hell of an accomplishment.

Also, to say you're not reaching your "potential" is a bit ridiculous. It's a fucking hard test. A 165 is a good score, a 170 is a great score. If you hit somewhere in between that, there is absolutely no shame. I have the exact same goal as you, I want a 172 so I can send off an app to UPenn and actually think something will come of it. But at the end of the day, my friend, we've fought the good fight. A 168 or a 169 would absolutely be nothing to be ashamed of.

On that note, I am still 3 points away from my goal, and I plan on hitting up the June test. I think that you should too. I'm confident that if you put in the appropriate work, you can see an increase of your average before the test day. Then if lady luck happens to smile upon you on that day, you'll hit your goal or more. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't, and the October test is just a few months away with plenty of time to prepare.

I think I wrote this for you, but also a bit for my own anxiety that I might not increase as much as I'd like before the June test... Ah well.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”