Postby patfeeney » Thu May 16, 2013 4:20 pm

PT 57:
167, Raw: 86
LG: -6
LR: -6
(ex) PT 12, LR: -4
LR: 23/25
RC: 25/27

My biggest screw-up, by far, was in the Logic Games section. Game 3, about toy dinosaurs, obliterated me and had me rushing through the rest of the section. I ended up guessing on most of those answers. Even when I went back after the full PT, before I even checked my answers, I could only hit two of the questions in ten minutes. It felt as if the game description was missing a good paragraph of clues.
Is is just me, or was that game glaringly difficult?

I think it even affected my ability to do the second LR section. The past 8 or so LR sections I've done, I haven't scored less than a -4, normally coming out with a -3 or -2. The LG section really shattered my confidence, which I don't think I rebuilt until during the experimental section.

SteelPenguin

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 16, 2013 4:42 pm

patfeeney wrote:PT 57:
167, Raw: 86
LG: -6
LR: -6
(ex) PT 12, LR: -4
LR: 23/25
RC: 25/27

My biggest screw-up, by far, was in the Logic Games section. Game 3, about toy dinosaurs, obliterated me and had me rushing through the rest of the section. I ended up guessing on most of those answers. Even when I went back after the full PT, before I even checked my answers, I could only hit two of the questions in ten minutes. It felt as if the game description was missing a good paragraph of clues.
Is is just me, or was that game glaringly difficult?

I think it even affected my ability to do the second LR section. The past 8 or so LR sections I've done, I haven't scored less than a -4, normally coming out with a -3 or -2. The LG section really shattered my confidence, which I don't think I rebuilt until during the experimental section.

I don't have an explanation handy, but the dinosaur game is a pretty famous "killer game." Powerscore has an entire 20+minute video breaking down how to solve it, although there are certainly other sources out there.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:I don't have an explanation handy, but the dinosaur game is a pretty famous "killer game." Powerscore has an entire 20+minute video breaking down how to solve it, although there are certainly other sources out there.

I looked up a break-down from the LSAT Blog and ripped a diagram from there. I was able to answer all of the questions correctly from that.
My brain hurts.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu May 16, 2013 6:11 pm

The last episode of the Office is on tonight. So if there was ever a moment you should take a break from prep and relax, you're looking at it.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Thu May 16, 2013 7:00 pm

patfeeney wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:I don't have an explanation handy, but the dinosaur game is a pretty famous "killer game." Powerscore has an entire 20+minute video breaking down how to solve it, although there are certainly other sources out there.

I looked up a break-down from the LSAT Blog and ripped a diagram from there. I was able to answer all of the questions correctly from that.
My brain hurts.

You know I'm usually pretty bad at games, but I didn't find the dinos that hard.

Spoiler:

Here's what was useful for me (maybe it will help in future games for you): it all comes down to numbers. Whenever I see a rule that involves numbers (e.g. 2 dinos must be mauve), I like to think what this means for the game.. so things like which variables can fulfill that rule, what this rule implies about other elements etc. In this case, you should realize that there's only a few variables that can be M (l/o, v, t..as far as I can recall). Once that happens, you just focus question by question which of those variables is excluded/included and the rules relating to them, and you're pretty much set.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 16, 2013 7:24 pm

PR 63 (retake from Octoberish, only recognized one or two questions and 1 RC passage)

174, Raw: 95
RC (PT25): -1, 25/26
LR: -1
LG: -1
LR: -2
RC: -2

Had some family disruptions in LR2, forced me to move to a more painful studying position, and I think my score reflected that a bit. RC wasn't bad, but I took too long on one passage, which left me with 7 minutes for the comparative. Overall, Manhattan and independent studying have been really helpful with RC. I've gone from -2 to -5 to -0 to -3 for the past five RC sections.
Last edited by SteelPenguin on Thu May 16, 2013 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Thu May 16, 2013 8:16 pm

Hey guys,

I don't know if it's just me but does anybody experience like
LR -0 LG -0 then go WHAM -10 or more on RC?

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:33 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:
achilles470 wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:PT 54 176

LG: -0
LR 1: -1
LR 2:-2

I've been away for lsat for two weeks because of finals and beach week so this PT was a little rough for me. I'm taking the June test from lsat year today to see if I can get dat 180.

I'm generally a lurker, but I did PT 54 today too:

RC: -4
LR: -0

177. Hit 179 on PT 53, trying to work through the remaining PTs before June.

Question: Are you June takers foregoing memorial day plans? I thought I was, but now am tempted to go out to the beach Friday, come back Sunday morning. It's one day, but I'll be drinking. How much would two weeks of "celibacy" really help?

I would suggest not skipping an entire weekend, I'm actually of the mind that at this point one should be doing something every day before the test, although a few can be light days.

On that note, what's the consensus about the day before the test? I took off on my first try, and I think it hurt me a bit. I'm not saying to do a marathon back-to-back practice test, but I'll probably put in an hour or two in the morning, followed by a nice long run and salmon for dinner.

Bad advice from me actually. Just bombed a PT today, pretty sure I need a break. Drilled 7 hours yesterday, 5 the day before. My last few scores have been in the low-mid 170s, today I had a significant drop. Taking tomorrow off, reviewing the test Saturday, and drilling Sunday.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:36 pm

jad0re wrote:Hey guys,

I don't know if it's just me but does anybody experience like
LR -0 LG -0 then go WHAM -10 or more on RC?

I havent yet experienced it, but its what Im gunning for. The -0's that is, the -10 i hope i can get down to -5 or -6, but as of right now I'm scoring -3's LR and -1~-2 LG, so im hoping to get those down to -0 so i can fuck up my RC section taht i know i will fuck up... I just cant grasp the concept of reading a whole passage and aswering questions about it. It kills my brain, Hopefully after more drilling it will get better, but my only hope is to go -0 and -0 on LR and LG if i wanna break 170. Def hard, but def doable.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Thu May 16, 2013 10:07 pm

About a month too late but I finally cracked open Manhattan LR. It's probably a lost hope but I am just going to keep prepping past the test date change deadline and withdraw at the last moment if all goes to hell.

I am consistent -0 LG and -5 to -7 RC, but LR I am still getting -10 to -12 (not good).

I am missing easy gimme's. I just need resharpening. 22 to 23 days left of studying (it's like 26 but I will probably not study the day before or on Memorial Day).

MKX

Postby MKX » Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
I'm about the same age. Another year is pretty inconsequential.

Applying after the October test will not be a problem. General rule is to get apps in before Thanksgiving.

Any reason why not to take June and then have October as a back up plan?

redecember

Postby redecember » Thu May 16, 2013 11:02 pm

FUCK RC

Nicolena.

Postby Nicolena. » Thu May 16, 2013 11:03 pm

I've noticed that I struggle with the LR section. When I reviewed my last PT I noticed that if I read the question stem, the paragraph and the answer choices aloud, I get the answer right. Do you have any suggestions for when I take the test?

Thank you,
Nicole

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Nicolena. wrote:I've noticed that I struggle with the LR section. When I reviewed my last PT I noticed that if I read the question stem, the paragraph and the answer choices aloud, I get the answer right. Do you have any suggestions for when I take the test?

Thank you,
Nicole

Slow down your reading in your mind, thats all i can think of.
And make sure you dont skim over the answer choices. Read all the way through E

MKX

Postby MKX » Thu May 16, 2013 11:43 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
Nicolena. wrote:I've noticed that I struggle with the LR section. When I reviewed my last PT I noticed that if I read the question stem, the paragraph and the answer choices aloud, I get the answer right. Do you have any suggestions for when I take the test?

Thank you,
Nicole

Slow down your reading in your mind, thats all i can think of.
And make sure you dont skim over the answer choices. Read all the way through E

This is my biggest problem and I can't for the life of me fix it. When I do it untimed, I get through questions easily and pretty fast, but as soon as I hit start on that clock I can't remember what I read, I don't completely read answer choices, skip some answers...I'm getting so frustrated.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:44 pm

Thank you,
Nicole

It really shouldn't matter whether you read aloud or in your mind - I'm not sure why you'd be able to spot a flaw in reasoning more easily if you read it aloud than in your mind. On test day, unless you have the world's nicest proctors and test takers that don't mind you reading stuff aloud (not going to happen), you're going to have to learn to do the questions in your mind, so just get used to that now.

achilles470

Postby achilles470 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:50 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:
nyjets2090 wrote:
achilles470 wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:PT 54 176

LR 1: -1
LR 2:-2

I've been away for lsat for two weeks because of finals and beach week so this PT was a little rough for me. I'm taking the June test from lsat year today to see if I can get dat 180.

I'm generally a lurker, but I did PT 54 today too:

RC: -4

177. Hit 179 on PT 53, trying to work through the remaining PTs before June.

Question: Are you June takers foregoing memorial day plans? I thought I was, but now am tempted to go out to the beach Friday, come back Sunday morning. It's one day, but I'll be drinking. How much would two weeks of "celibacy" really help?

I would suggest not skipping an entire weekend, I'm actually of the mind that at this point one should be doing something every day before the test, although a few can be light days.

On that note, what's the consensus about the day before the test? I took off on my first try, and I think it hurt me a bit. I'm not saying to do a marathon back-to-back practice test, but I'll probably put in an hour or two in the morning, followed by a nice long run and salmon for dinner.

Bad advice from me actually. Just bombed a PT today, pretty sure I need a break. Drilled 7 hours yesterday, 5 the day before. My last few scores have been in the low-mid 170s, today I had a significant drop. Taking tomorrow off, reviewing the test Saturday, and drilling Sunday.

Noted. Thanks. I fuck around on the internet enough when i'm studying that my eyes burn out well before my brain. I think I'll play safe, skip the memorial day fun, and study moderately every day till the final weekend.

ant5do

Postby ant5do » Fri May 17, 2013 5:26 am

has anyone tried grockit? i've been having a kinda fun time playing the games . . . a lot of them are dirty for me, though

it's worth a look and it's free for 3 days grockit.com

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Fri May 17, 2013 11:25 am

redecember wrote:FUCK RC

Gospel. I couldn't care how critics view your work, author from generic humanities piece. I will never read it. And all of the "critics" seriously need to get laid. Jesus.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 am

very well put, sir.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Fri May 17, 2013 11:59 am

Beercules wrote:

Gospel. I couldn't care how critics view your work, author from generic humanities piece. I will never read it. And all of the "critics" seriously need to get laid. Jesus.

Hahahaha fuck "critics"

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Fri May 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Took 67 today. First time really looking at it since I crashed and burned in October.

RC: -6
LG: -4

88/169

Well, fuck. That's seven points lower than my current average.

RC: Well, damn. I actually felt pretty good about everything but the !Kung passage, which is just a b*** in general. I finished with 3 minutes left, and went back and looked over some of the questions. One I changed from the right answer to the wrong one. Another I changed from wrong to right, and then back again. I dunno what to say about the rest.

LR: Solid performance on both. Finished in time, missed two tough ones that I had 50/50s on.

LG: I could definitely feel some nerves in this sections Took close to 10 minutes on the first game. Went -1, on the next two, and was really trying to hustle because I knew Zones was coming. I got there with about 7 minutes left, and didn't have a chance to get to two of them. For a sense of closure, I finished those, and got them both right in about two minutes. I think this is indicative of being able to tackle tough games fairly well (also went -0 on dinos) but I'll get tripped up on some easy ones.

On the plus-side, this is 7 points higher than I managed in October, and a -12 can often get a 170. Still, I think this particular PT plays to my weaknesses and I was honestly a bit psyched out. I still have a lot of work to do, but I definitely have time left to drill and correct weaknesses.

Man that RC was tough.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri May 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Did the timed RC section at the end of the MLSAT RC book. While I've been averaging -4 to -5 (with some -7s mixed in), I got -3 on the section. And on two of the questions that I got wrong, I got it down to 2 and switched to the wrong answer after having selected the right one in each case. I think I should be able to get my RC down to -1, even possibly 0. The MLSAT strategies are helping.

Unrelated to RC, would anyone suggest buying MLSAT LR this late in the game? That said, I'm still considering delaying my first take until October. As it stands, I'm getting way too many wrong in LR on average (about -9 total). Interestingly, my LR average was about -6 when drilling tests in the 29-38 range, but it became about -9 once I started drilling the more recent tests (52-68).

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Fri May 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Just finished doing PT 52 LR1 and LR2, -3 in each. I'm kinda happy. But aside from them I was supposed to PT56 today, but felt so drained after doing the LR that I started the first section (LG), and was bombing it, so I cut it loose. Im gonna review LG tomorrow and redo PT56 on Saturday or Sunday.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri May 17, 2013 4:41 pm

Ugh, PT 31 logic games were brutal. Ended up with -2, but game 4 with workers installing a partition killed me. I didn't even get to the final question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”