JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

User avatar
MKX
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby MKX » Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 pm

jk148706 wrote:
I find this happens to me all the time.

No way to fix it except to relax, but that's easier said than done lol

User avatar
MKX
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby MKX » Tue May 14, 2013 9:26 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I just did PT 36 RC to drill it and I got all the questions on passage 1 and 4 right, but 8 scattered throughout the other 2 wrong. I dont understand how I can get all of the easiest and the hardest right but fuck up on the two in the middle? Any explanation? Could it be the subject matter?

They don't always go in terms of difficulty.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:48 pm

MKX wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I just did PT 36 RC to drill it and I got all the questions on passage 1 and 4 right, but 8 scattered throughout the other 2 wrong. I dont understand how I can get all of the easiest and the hardest right but fuck up on the two in the middle? Any explanation? Could it be the subject matter?

They don't always go in terms of difficulty.


I think the problem is that i began to rush on the 2nd passage, but i intended to drill this PT36 RC untimed, and then i decided i could finish it in time if i pushed through the other passages. I need to drill completely untimed and see if that will help me.

User avatar
sl5uw13
Posts: 163
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby sl5uw13 » Wed May 15, 2013 1:00 pm

PT 54 176

RC: -2
LG: -0
LR 1: -1
LR 2:-2

I've been away for lsat for two weeks because of finals and beach week so this PT was a little rough for me. I'm taking the June test from lsat year today to see if I can get dat 180.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm

did the LR sections for PT 49
LR 1: 21/26
LR 2 : 23/25

My best LR sections yet. Anyone think that PT 49 is a good indicator of June?

User avatar
Beercules
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:44 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Beercules » Wed May 15, 2013 1:22 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I just did PT 36 RC to drill it and I got all the questions on passage 1 and 4 right, but 8 scattered throughout the other 2 wrong. I dont understand how I can get all of the easiest and the hardest right but fuck up on the two in the middle? Any explanation? Could it be the subject matter?


Passage 2 was the most mind numbing and ridiculous passage in the section. Don't feel bad. 3 Was probably just a hangover.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed May 15, 2013 1:25 pm

I've moved into retaking the 60s during the week, with new tests on the weekend. I took 62 today again, after taking it 25 days ago. Mentally giving reasons for each elimination and holding myself to a higher standard makes this a very useful experience, I think.

I actually missed a couple of questions that I missed on the last take.

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Wed May 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Took PT 58 today,

LR: -3 (ran out of time)
RC: -1 (1:00 left)
LG: -0 (2:00 left)
LR: -1 (8:30 left)

LR1 seemed really tough for me. Missed #8, #24 and had to guess on #25. Could have been that I was sluggish and not warmed up, but I do think this one was just a bear of a passage.

RC seemed like a breeze, probably because this was a re-take.

LG wasn't a walk in the park, but I finished in time and felt fairly comfortable with everything.

LR2 felt like a breeze. Kinda odd that I was gassed at this point, with a huge headache and neck stiffness, but still flew through it. Again, re-take was probably responsible for this.

At least I've got some valuable material for review.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Wed May 15, 2013 5:43 pm

Took pt 55 today, and boy did i bomb it. I got -7 on the first LR, and - 12 on RC... I dont understand how im gonna improve RC. I decided to drill 2 RC sections every day im not PTing. taking 1 slowly untimed then 1 timed, to see if there are any discrepancies. Also, i didn't finish LG which was kinda disappointing as LG used to be my strongest section, now its right there with LR. But i guess thats a good thing, that my LR has improved so much. I dont understand why i always fuck up the LR 1 section as opposed to the LR 2 section, but o well, I guess my mind needs to just be in it more.

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby patfeeney » Wed May 15, 2013 6:57 pm

MKX wrote:Whenever I review questions that I got wrong I get pretty frustrated. Not that I can't figure out why I got them wrong but because when I read the question I immediately see the right answer and have no clue how I got the wrong answer.

It's probably the timed aspect because I'm feeling rushed but I do the questions much faster un timed. Very annoying haha. Theres maybe 1 or 2 I get really confused about.


I know that feel.

Oftentimes when I do LG sections, I'll blank out during a certain game and end up skipping over most of the questions. For corrections, I find that it's more effective for me to redo the entire game untimed, so I can come up with the correct answers more organically. The questions I get wrong on the second take (which are extraordinarily rare), I will review extensively.

However, when I return to the section - previous answers, both wrong ones and right ones erased - I find that the game just snaps. I could spend eleven minutes, under the clock, trying the game and end up answering only three of six questions in that time. The next time, I get all six correct in under five minutes.

Luckily this only occurs on the hardest games, and I tend to get only -2 or -3 on a section, but today I saw this a lot.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Wed May 15, 2013 7:19 pm

I had my first LSAT related dream last night. I woke up nearly in a cold sweat worrying about my prep materials, wondering if i had used them all and if i would have anything left to prep... It was surreal and a wake up call for me. There is no more time to put this off. Everyday I need to be spending 3-4 hours reviewing or taking PT's or sections, or I will fail.

Speaking of failing, how prevelant is it here to get a good score relatively (165+) then bomb a pt, only to get the next score higher than the first score? How can this be explained? As it has happened to me I was PTing at 155-157, then i PT'ed at 154, then I PT'ed at 162-165, then today i PT'ed at 159. So im hoping to have a nice jump after my review for todays problems

User avatar
jas1503
Posts: 313
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby jas1503 » Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Is it normal to answer so many PT questions that the 1st wrong answer makes you say,"Screw this nonsense"?


Just want to take the test now and get it over with...



Edited to add: Does anyone have the LSATs after number 56? Where did you get them?
Last edited by jas1503 on Wed May 15, 2013 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

achilles470
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:05 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby achilles470 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:00 pm

sl5uw13 wrote:PT 54 176

RC: -2
LG: -0
LR 1: -1
LR 2:-2

I've been away for lsat for two weeks because of finals and beach week so this PT was a little rough for me. I'm taking the June test from lsat year today to see if I can get dat 180.



I'm generally a lurker, but I did PT 54 today too:

RC: -4
LG: -0
LR: -0
LR: -0

177. Hit 179 on PT 53, trying to work through the remaining PTs before June.


Question: Are you June takers foregoing memorial day plans? I thought I was, but now am tempted to go out to the beach Friday, come back Sunday morning. It's one day, but I'll be drinking. How much would two weeks of "celibacy" really help?

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:50 pm

jas1503 wrote:Is it normal to answer so many PT questions that the 1st wrong answer makes you say,"Screw this nonsense"?


Just want to take the test now and get it over with...



Edited to add: Does anyone have the LSATs after number 56? Where did you get them?


http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

Download, print, enjoy.

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed May 15, 2013 10:54 pm

achilles470 wrote:
sl5uw13 wrote:PT 54 176

RC: -2
LG: -0
LR 1: -1
LR 2:-2

I've been away for lsat for two weeks because of finals and beach week so this PT was a little rough for me. I'm taking the June test from lsat year today to see if I can get dat 180.



I'm generally a lurker, but I did PT 54 today too:

RC: -4
LG: -0
LR: -0
LR: -0

177. Hit 179 on PT 53, trying to work through the remaining PTs before June.


Question: Are you June takers foregoing memorial day plans? I thought I was, but now am tempted to go out to the beach Friday, come back Sunday morning. It's one day, but I'll be drinking. How much would two weeks of "celibacy" really help?


I would suggest not skipping an entire weekend, I'm actually of the mind that at this point one should be doing something every day before the test, although a few can be light days.

On that note, what's the consensus about the day before the test? I took off on my first try, and I think it hurt me a bit. I'm not saying to do a marathon back-to-back practice test, but I'll probably put in an hour or two in the morning, followed by a nice long run and salmon for dinner.

lawschoolplease1
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:56 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby lawschoolplease1 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:55 am

for those who have yet to take the December 2012 test, do you guys want to set a date to take then review it together?

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:38 pm

Ugh, just did PT 53 and got -5 on RC. -7 total so it's still a solid test, but I'm frustrated by how inconsistent I am on RC. My last PT (52) I got -0. I feel like I need to drill RC every day just so I don't completely forget how to read.

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Thu May 16, 2013 2:22 pm

jas1503 wrote:Is it normal to answer so many PT questions that the 1st wrong answer makes you say,"Screw this nonsense"?


Just want to take the test now and get it over with...



Edited to add: Does anyone have the LSATs after number 56? Where did you get them?


I have downloaded my most recent PTs at LSATblog. They come with answers and explanations.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/ls ... nload.html

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Thu May 16, 2013 2:25 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:Ugh, just did PT 53 and got -5 on RC. -7 total so it's still a solid test, but I'm frustrated by how inconsistent I am on RC. My last PT (52) I got -0. I feel like I need to drill RC every day just so I don't completely forget how to read.


I've had similar ups and downs in RC. In fact, I find that when I'm drilling, I'll typically improve over the sections that I'm doing... At first I'll be -3 or -4, nd by the time I've done a few and warmed up, I'll be at -2 or -1 (I even hit -0 occasionally).

Doing a bit each day just to stay in the habit of reading for structure etc... over a long passage may be helpful.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby itachiuchiha » Thu May 16, 2013 2:55 pm

PT 62

158
SCARY LR

lsatkid007
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Hey guys
what do you guys do if are just lost in a passage? I mean if after reading it a few times. I'm sure it doesn't happen much but when it does what do guys recommend?

Thanks

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Thu May 16, 2013 3:34 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:Hey guys
what do you guys do if are just lost in a passage? I mean if after reading it a few times. I'm sure it doesn't happen much but when it does what do guys recommend?

Thanks


When this happens, I find that it is helpful to step back, take a breath, and remember to be reading for structure, as I'm probably getting so bogged down in trying to absorb complex details that I am not quite grasping the big picture. Also making sure that I know the main point of each paragraph, and how it fits into the passage as a whole. i.e. paragraph two gives evidence that A is caused by X, which is in opposition to paragraph one, which says that A is caused by Y.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu May 16, 2013 3:37 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:Hey guys
what do you guys do if are just lost in a passage? I mean if after reading it a few times. I'm sure it doesn't happen much but when it does what do guys recommend?

Thanks


You can't let it get to that point. Stay active and engage with every sentence. You should be able to summarize each paragraph.

Sometimes there will be difficult/wordy/convoluted portions of a passage. I mentally make a note (or sometimes draw a line next to it) in order to return or at least make sense of it in the context of a passage.

Ron5150
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu May 02, 2013 12:27 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Ron5150 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:08 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
0913djp wrote:Getting cold feet now...shoulda prepped more in February and March when I had the chance.

We'll see where I'm at a few days before test date change...but for now unless I see about a point jump from high 150s to mid 160s in two weeks...October, here I come.



I'm with ya.. last pt I took I was 4 points off of my target score. If I'm not scoring right at or higher by Thursday, I'll see ya in October


How much, if any, would waiting until October hurt the application process for 2014? I am scoring mid 160's but need high 160's or 170's. I can still pull it out I think, but if I am not there by June 10th what should I do (assuming its not about the exam fee)?

If I don't go in 2014 then my shot is gone (I.e - I am 27 year old with 5 years WE in finance). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu May 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Ron5150 wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:
0913djp wrote:Getting cold feet now...shoulda prepped more in February and March when I had the chance.

We'll see where I'm at a few days before test date change...but for now unless I see about a point jump from high 150s to mid 160s in two weeks...October, here I come.



I'm with ya.. last pt I took I was 4 points off of my target score. If I'm not scoring right at or higher by Thursday, I'll see ya in October


How much, if any, would waiting until October hurt the application process for 2014? I am scoring mid 160's but need high 160's or 170's. I can still pull it out I think, but if I am not there by June 10th what should I do (assuming its not about the exam fee)?

If I don't go in 2014 then my shot is gone (I.e - I am 27 year old with 5 years WE in finance). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks.


I'm about the same age. Another year is pretty inconsequential.

Applying after the October test will not be a problem. General rule is to get apps in before Thanksgiving.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace, dontsaywhatyoumean, harveybirdman502, theGrinch, Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests