JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby nyjets2090 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:44 pm

For those struggling with game timing, I've been moving away from the habit of checking every answer on every must be true/can be true question. It can be tough, but I really believe that, for me, the only way I can get to a solid 33 minute game time is by doing this. I just make sure that my set up and deductions are golden and have confidence in my picks.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Sun May 12, 2013 11:03 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:For those struggling with game timing, I've been moving away from the habit of checking every answer on every must be true/can be true question. It can be tough, but I really believe that, for me, the only way I can get to a solid 33 minute game time is by doing this. I just make sure that my set up and deductions are golden and have confidence in my picks.


Good point, but the situations when a test taker is stuck on a must be true question should also be accounted for. Generally, if one gets stuck on a must be true LG question, one should dive into the conditional questions. After one finishes the conditional questions, one will have more diagrams, which equates to quickly eliminating wrong answer choices on the must be true question that resulted in difficulty for the test taker. Conditional questions, in general, are easier because based upon the question stimulus, certain things must be true, those things will usually eliminate at least three of the answers in that conditional question, one of the remaining two answers should be diagrammed, I generally diagram the one which triggers the most rules.

Of course, the difficulty of both of these types can be mitigated, if not eliminated, by continuous and efficient drilling and review. Also, if the game is dense, I always begin by diagramming a hypo involving the most rules or to test locations, maximums, or all three. Doing this reinforces the rules and gives you an extra hypo for the questions.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Mon May 13, 2013 12:43 am

Also, as some extra motivation, you know what I saw today? Today I was in the library. I was plugged into my proctor app by 11:00 AM and I took two full PTs. But you know what, someone was there before me, this dude, I was impressed, I mean, I woke up on Sunday early, I ran, then I did work, and still, somebody still beat me to progress. So I left the library around 5:00 PM. When I left, I saw the same guy, in the same seat, and you know what he was doing? I know you know this book. He was bubbling answers from one of the PTs in the green LSAC book containing the 50s. And I thought to myself, I don't know who this guy is, I don't know how well he's scoring, but damn, that man is hungry. What I'm getting at here is that you are not alone. Now I know you know, and I know too, that tens of thousands of people take this test and apply to law schools, probably the same ones you're applying to, during the same cycle as we will. But for me, this hit home. And what I'm saying is that people, this guy included, are trying to do better than me, better than you.

So I'm telling you what I'm going to do, I'm going to wake up earlier tomorrow, run earlier, review earlier, and work harder. And I suggest you do the same. Because remember, to use an analogy, I may be that guy that you see working through the green LSAC book before you even crack it open.

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Otunga » Mon May 13, 2013 7:48 am

nyjets2090 wrote:For those struggling with game timing, I've been moving away from the habit of checking every answer on every must be true/can be true question. It can be tough, but I really believe that, for me, the only way I can get to a solid 33 minute game time is by doing this. I just make sure that my set up and deductions are golden and have confidence in my picks.


This advice is particularly applicable for situations where your hypo confirms A or B is the correct answer choice to a Could Be True question, but you're unsure of yourself and so continue on producing more hypos with the other answer choices to one-hundred percent confirm it.

Of course, sometimes you do want to make sure. If you're getting a CBT question wrong, odds are you're misinterpreting a rule. Or maybe...you just overlooked one rule for that one question and you still get the rest of the game right. It varies.

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Mon May 13, 2013 2:17 pm

Did PT 57 today at the local library to get me out of my comfort zone:

LG: -1 (0:45 left)
LR: -1 (5:00 left)
RC: -1 (7:00 left)
LR: -2 (3:00 left)

96/176

I missed my one LG on game 4, but got through everything and went -0 on Mauve Dinosaurs. I still can't believe that happened, especially after I struggled through my experimental games section (still haven't graded that). I got so excited about it that I think I was actually a bit thrown off on the other sections. I was able to make more inferences by paying special attention to the out-group and things were just kinda clicking. Then I made a derp on the last game. Classic. Regardless, this is confidence booster and makes me think that LG drilling and especially review is finally paying off.

LR and especially RC sections felt super familiar, which isn't good, but there's not much I can do about that. The tough questions I just remember reviewing. These are the time-sinks that can throw off an entire question.

I felt fatigued by the end, so I'm thinking of doing some six-section tests to build up stamina. Anyone have experience with this?

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby snapdragon25 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm

**Shameless sudoku plug**
Games were always my weakness, and back when I took the LSAT I got a 167 with -6 on games (eek!) The last three PTs I took I finished games with 8 minutes left, 5 minutes left, 10 minutes left (all -0). I haven't done any games recently except for during PTs, it just clicks now, and I really think it's all the sudoku I've been playing in my free time. It's great practice with holding information in your head and working quickly (the app I use times you), and it's super easy to pull out my phone and do some quick games on the train, waiting for people, or before I go to bed. And it doesn't deplete your study materials and feels like a break from studying.

NoWorries
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:05 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby NoWorries » Mon May 13, 2013 4:58 pm

I just took PT 23 and it's definitely a hard test. Had some timing issues. But I scored a -5 179 and the 170 number is -16!!!!

Have the tests actually gotten that much easier since October 97 or is it just a much more intelligent/prepared group of test takers?




Also, I felt like shit and banged out a -5. For the first time I actually am starting to believe a 175+ is possible. Does LSAC release how many test takers get each score?

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon May 13, 2013 5:19 pm

PT 68 today:

RC: -0 (First ever -0 on a RC. Feels good man, feels good)
LR1: -5 (#2, 15, 17, 21, 24. Brutal section, but I missed three easy ones)
LR2: -0
LG: -1 (#12. Insanely easy, made an insanely stupid mistake. Finished the first two games in less than 8 minutes.)

Raw: 95 --> Scaled: 176

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon May 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Also, as some extra motivation, you know what I saw today? Today I was in the library. I was plugged into my proctor app by 11:00 AM and I took two full PTs. But you know what, someone was there before me, this dude, I was impressed, I mean, I woke up on Sunday early, I ran, then I did work, and still, somebody still beat me to progress. So I left the library around 5:00 PM. When I left, I saw the same guy, in the same seat, and you know what he was doing? I know you know this book. He was bubbling answers from one of the PTs in the green LSAC book containing the 50s. And I thought to myself, I don't know who this guy is, I don't know how well he's scoring, but damn, that man is hungry. What I'm getting at here is that you are not alone. Now I know you know, and I know too, that tens of thousands of people take this test and apply to law schools, probably the same ones you're applying to, during the same cycle as we will. But for me, this hit home. And what I'm saying is that people, this guy included, are trying to do better than me, better than you.

So I'm telling you what I'm going to do, I'm going to wake up earlier tomorrow, run earlier, review earlier, and work harder. And I suggest you do the same. Because remember, to use an analogy, I may be that guy that you see working through the green LSAC book before you even crack it open.


This has helped motivated me, although I haven't physically seen another person that was studying for the LSAT for months. There's always someone out there studying for the LSAT, trying to get smarter, working towards or already scoring better than me.

I took June 2007 today, which might be the only recent LSAT that I hadn't seen at least part of during my previous LSAT prep. I ended up with a 174 after making several careless mistakes on LG (-3), but it feels really good to know that my score was right in line with my retakes.

June 2007
RC: -0! Thanks Manhattan
LG: -3
LR: -1
LR: -1
Score: 174

I'm a little frustrated with LG because #10 was a careless reading error (first film, not any film), and #17 and #22 were simple enough and I would have gotten them right if I took the time to write a second hypothetical. On a positive note, time wasn't an issue for me, but and I had a good grasp on the rules of the games.

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby patfeeney » Mon May 13, 2013 7:46 pm

Just got back after finals week. I started the final leg of the race with five timed RC sections. Not a lot, but sufficient for a busy day.
ON PT 13, 21/27
PT 29, 25/27
PT 21, 22/27
PT 14, 24/27
PT 30, 18/27
The total fluke in the last section I attribute to trying to work in the kitchen at my house with the rest of my family arguing about bra sizes. I'm part of a very loud Irish/Italian family, so this was basically like PTing at a Cannibal Corpse concert. The other sections were done in more ideal conditions.
At this point, I'm considering focusing on certain types of passages rather than entire sections. I either have two or three questions wrong over the course of the entire section or I do terribly on one particular passage, most often the Legal passages (go figure, right?).

User avatar
Squintz805
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Squintz805 » Mon May 13, 2013 8:24 pm

Just got my Analog Watch, and glad I did because I'm realizing that when I attempt to open up the dial to reset the watch back to 12:00, god decided to make it difficult for a Lefty to do so quickly.

Anyone take the LSAT before have any knowledge if you can leave the watch sitting at the table (making it easier to open the dial and reset it back to the 12:00 spot) or for whatever shenanigans do you know if they don't let you?

Sorry if this makes no sense. I'm exhausted from 6 hours of studying and reviewing today

User avatar
Otunga
Posts: 1317
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Otunga » Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 pm

patfeeney wrote:Just got back after finals week. I started the final leg of the race with five timed RC sections. Not a lot, but sufficient for a busy day.
ON PT 13, 21/27
PT 29, 25/27
PT 21, 22/27
PT 14, 24/27
PT 30, 18/27
The total fluke in the last section I attribute to trying to work in the kitchen at my house with the rest of my family arguing about bra sizes. I'm part of a very loud Irish/Italian family, so this was basically like PTing at a Cannibal Corpse concert. The other sections were done in more ideal conditions.
At this point, I'm considering focusing on certain types of passages rather than entire sections. I either have two or three questions wrong over the course of the entire section or I do terribly on one particular passage, most often the Legal passages (go figure, right?).


This is me exactly, particularly on the more recent LSATs. I either miss one question on each passage or completely mess up just one passage, while not missing any on the others. My -4s in LG have also been due to the 'miss one in each' thing, though those are rare relative to how often it happens in RC.

Did more LR drilling today. First, I did question type training (PS LR Question Type Training from tests 1-20) - did about seven types and aced each type aside from MBT/MSS. Out of every 10 of MBT/MSS, I get about 8 right, while I'm regularly acing the majority of the other types.

Also drilled three LR sections - -5, -4 and -2, in that order. Interestingly, as the number of questions went down (26 in the -5, 25 in the -4 and 24 in the -2) I got better. But I think this is just coincidental, as I've had plenty of much better 26 question sections than 24-25 question sections. Another thing to note - on the -2, I did the questions in order from 1-24. I almost always have been doing 11-25 first and then 1-10, thinking that I'd be going in fresh to tackle the harder questions. But I'll continue to go in order if I get those same, improved results.

Once again, MBT/MSS continue to be my bane, whether drilling by type or drilling by section, as that's where many of the wrong answers came from. That said, it doesn't take me long to see why the right answer's right and the wrong answer's right upon review. But it's frustrating nevertheless. I do think that I can get LR down to perhaps even -1 as long as I keep going at it. I'm engaging more with the stimulus and actively prephrasing answers much of the time. I'm immediately finding things wrong with the stimulus in flaw questions, including but not limited to the flaw that constitutes the right answer choice. Method questions are getting especially easy.

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby nyjets2090 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 pm

PT54:

EXP PT60 RC: -1
RC: -1
LG1: -4
LG: -2
LG2: -1

Had a flub-up at the end of the first LR section, missed 4 questions from 20-25, probably a stamina thing from doing 2 RC sections in a row. Recovered in section 2.

Take aways are to read the LG section carefully! That last game gave me a massive headache when I realized after my setup that I had to flip everything around. I may start all my games with the elimination question and then move on to set-ups and deductions from here on out.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby jk148706 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:49 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 68 today:

RC: -0 (First ever -0 on a RC. Feels good man, feels good)


What was your study method for RC; it's my worst section, and I need to get it turned around.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Took PT 61 Today

LG = - 3
LR 1 = -5
LR 2 = - 4
RC = -11

Scaled Score - 162

What the hell do I do about RC? I dont understand how I can fuck up so much. And I wont go over any of these wrong answers because I dont know how to review RC (If anyone can help that would be great).

Aside from that, The LG take too much time, the last 2 I had guessed on and got wrong. I dont get many questions wrong, but sometimes it takes me a lot of time to finish. Not usually, but sometimes.

LR has gotten better, and although I still havent finished the MLSAT LR book, I feel confident in that number going down, especially after I finish it tomorrow.

I plan on drilling RC by doing sections every day im not PTing, but I do not know how to review.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon May 13, 2013 10:17 pm

jk148706 wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 68 today:

RC: -0 (First ever -0 on a RC. Feels good man, feels good)


What was your study method for RC; it's my worst section, and I need to get it turned around.


JK, have you tried Manhattan RC? It can be read in 2-3 days if you're not busy, and it
really helped my understanding of rc. There's a few people in here that read it recently that found it to be very helpful.

User avatar
bombaysippin
Posts: 1977
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:11 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby bombaysippin » Mon May 13, 2013 10:24 pm

Anyone ever feel like they're getting tricked by question/answers because it seems too easy...aka psyching yourself out, but like maybe they really are that simple? I know maybe this might have to do with possibly not having all the fundamentals down, but I feel like I do. How do you kind of just get over this without second guessing yourself?

Went through PT 57 today and went -3 LG on last game cause I ran out of time from getting psyched out on dinos...which wasn't even that bad. -1 LR, -3 LR, -3 RC but I felt like I went -6 to -8 on both LR sections...

User avatar
isuperserial
Posts: 519
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby isuperserial » Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Took the October 2008 test today.

Section 1 LR: -5
Experimental LG: -1
Section 3 RC: -2
Section 4 LR: -1
Section 5 LG: -2

Raw Score 90
LSAT Score 169

I have to attribute a bit of this to the fact that between Sections 2 and 3, I relocated from the library to my house, which gave me significant time for brain rest. I skipped the usual break between 3 and 4 to try to compensate, but obviously the 25 minute journey was more time than I would usually have by far. I don't think it would have made a massive difference in my score, but it could have made a couple points of difference. That being said, I'm happy with the results and with a bit of luck I'll be able to keep this up in the future and progress somewhat before the test on June 10th. I'm super happy knowing that at the very least, the T14 is a real possibility!

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby jk148706 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:52 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
jk148706 wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 68 today:

RC: -0 (First ever -0 on a RC. Feels good man, feels good)


What was your study method for RC; it's my worst section, and I need to get it turned around.


JK, have you tried Manhattan RC? It can be read in 2-3 days if you're not busy, and it
really helped my understanding of rc. There's a few people in here that read it recently that found it to be very helpful.


Ah, thanks. Haven't tried that yet. Going to look for a copy online. Thanks

User avatar
MKX
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby MKX » Tue May 14, 2013 1:23 am

PT41: The last logic game...probably the most annoying game I have come across. It was the people sitting in a circle clockwise one.

User avatar
nyjets2090
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby nyjets2090 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 am

Bajam wrote:Anyone ever feel like they're getting tricked by question/answers because it seems too easy...aka psyching yourself out, but like maybe they really are that simple? I know maybe this might have to do with possibly not having all the fundamentals down, but I feel like I do. How do you kind of just get over this without second guessing yourself?

Went through PT 57 today and went -3 LG on last game cause I ran out of time from getting psyched out on dinos...which wasn't even that bad. -1 LR, -3 LR, -3 RC but I felt like I went -6 to -8 on both LR sections...


This tends to happen on most strongly supported and necessary assumption questions because the correct answer is generally weak.

Dinos was a tough game because the set-up is so weird, there are tiered ordering games and in and out games but rarely do they mix game types like that. Although, it's been happening more and more frequently so expect it for June.

Looks like games are starting to make a comeback, and RC has definitely changed from the older PTs, it's almost like LR-lite (or LR-heavy depending on your view). LR seems to be getting a bit easier, some of the sections in the 40s and early 50s were insane.

User avatar
Ambitious1
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Ambitious1 » Tue May 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Took PT 56 today, first PT in a while since I was focusing on LR drilling and question types. 4 sections today.

LG: 22/23
LR1: 21/25
LR2: 24/25
RC: 20/27

87/100 for a 168. This is my highest score ever, so it's hard not to be excited that I'm improving, but I'm furious at the stupid mistake I made in LG and a couple LR questions, particularly q13 in section 3. Would have been nice to finally break 170s :) Oh well, just got to keep grinding..

I got off to an incredibly horrible start to LR1, didn't take any practice LR questions before this PT and basically found myself rushing at the end to answer the questions in time. LR is really just becoming how well/fast I can go through the first 15. For LR1 I had 6 questions with 5 minutes left and for LR2 I had 3 questions with 5 minutes left.

Any tips for improving RC? I'll probably find myself religiously reading Manhattan RC book later on in the week after I finish their LR book

User avatar
MKX
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby MKX » Tue May 14, 2013 7:59 pm

Whenever I review questions that I got wrong I get pretty frustrated. Not that I can't figure out why I got them wrong but because when I read the question I immediately see the right answer and have no clue how I got the wrong answer.

It's probably the timed aspect because I'm feeling rushed but I do the questions much faster un timed. Very annoying haha. Theres maybe 1 or 2 I get really confused about.

User avatar
jk148706
Posts: 2499
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 11:14 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby jk148706 » Tue May 14, 2013 8:46 pm

MKX wrote:Whenever I review questions that I got wrong I get pretty frustrated. Not that I can't figure out why I got them wrong but because when I read the question I immediately see the right answer and have no clue how I got the wrong answer.

It's probably the timed aspect because I'm feeling rushed but I do the questions much faster un timed. Very annoying haha. Theres maybe 1 or 2 I get really confused about.


I find this happens to me all the time.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:13 pm

I just did PT 36 RC to drill it and I got all the questions on passage 1 and 4 right, but 8 scattered throughout the other 2 wrong. I dont understand how I can get all of the easiest and the hardest right but fuck up on the two in the middle? Any explanation? Could it be the subject matter?




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, cianchetta0, Instrumental, SunDevil14, tuesdayninja, Voyager and 9 guests