Chambo

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Fri May 10, 2013 2:31 pm

Did LG section drilling today.

LG 39: -1
LG 40: -3 (zephyr airlines)
LG 41: -0
LG 42: -2

So, again, I feel like I'm all over the map. I usually miss a point with a derp, but when I miss more than that, it is usually because I hit a time sink of a game and have to rush the last one, making me prone to mistakes or, when I'm more thorough, not getting to a few questions at all.

I'm gonna move on for today and do some RC, then hit the LG drilling hard tomorrow.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 10, 2013 3:24 pm

Took PT 44 today. A bit tired and hungry. Went -3 on RC and -3 on the last LR, with 0 on one LR and LG. -2 on an experimental LG (PT 22). Weird curve puts me at a 174. Found the LG remarkably easy, probably the easiest I've seen.

At the last minute of my -3 LR, I changed 2 of the answers. For both, I initially had the correct answer, but then reconsidered. Would have brought the score to a 177 somehow if I hadn't changed it... really hoping that doesn't happen on test day.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Fri May 10, 2013 4:23 pm

Retook PT 61 today, ended up with a 175. Still concerned about all the re-takes, but happy with my RC progress. Two or three days with the Manhattan books has been helpful.

RC -1
LR -3
LG -0
LR -2

This is the worst I remember doing on LR in a while, should be an interesting review.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri May 10, 2013 5:54 pm

Preptest 54 (June 08)
RC -3
LR -1
LG -0
LR -2

So I'm really not sure what happened to me with RC. I started with RC being easily my strongest section, usually pulling a -1 or -2, but as I improve greatly everywhere else, RC is actually going down. Incredibly frustrating, don't know how to handle it. On the plus side, I think I finally have LG all the way down, and my LR scores are leaps and bounds ahead of what they used to be. And a 175 is a pretty good score. Just frustrating though.

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Fri May 10, 2013 6:41 pm

PT 52:

LR1: -2
LG: -2
LR2: -0
RC: -3

173*

Very generous curve on this one, plus everybody got a freebie since a RC was removed from scoring. Upon blind review I fixed 2 mistakes in the LG and a LR, which would have given me a magical 180. Also, the comparative reading in this one wrecked my RC score. Actually thought I bombed the LGs here, I know how to solve each kind of game, at this point, it's perfecting it and getting down to timing. Also the wording is very tricky, the fourth game here is worded very carefully, when you see a weird rule, read it and understand it, take the extra 30 seconds because the game is probably going to revolve around it, and diagramming it properly let's you blow through the questions in about 90 seconds.

Take aways:

Keep reviewing, maybe I'll throttle back a bit, from 5-6 hours to 4, maybe 5 a day. Don't want to burn out, but I'm still drilling LG like crazy. Had a bit of a breakthrough in diagramming, now if I miss a question it's more of me misreading it or some stupid mistake (picking a CBT on a MBT). Also had a breakthrough with flaw/strenghten/weaken questions. The strategy is similar in all 3, for me. The premises don't lead me in the right direction, in a flaw and weaken question bring it out but in a strengthen, kill it (usually an assumption in the premises or a reversal of cause and effect).

1 month left, keep at it all.
Last edited by nyjets2090 on Sun May 12, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri May 10, 2013 8:18 pm

Just took my fourth pt - pt 64.

Score: 168
Raw: 85

My pt scores, in order: 153 (diag), 160, 167, 168

LR1: -5
LG: -1
LR2: -5
RC: -5

Overall, I'm lukewarm to this score. When it pertains to LR though, I'm incredibly frustrated, as I've been averaging between -5 to -6 per 2 sections when drilling. Got 7 wrong in the assumption family. Continue to have trouble with sufficient assumption questions. But since that process to do those is rather mechanical, if I just remedy that, I'll at least get 2 more points on LR, maybe even 3 or 4. It's strange that I got 4 wrong between weaken and strengthen. Tend to do good on those.

Compared to my last test, I declined in both LR and RC (-7 to -10 in LR and -4 to -5 in RC), while improving from -3 to -1 in LG. Should've been -3 in RC but just had some plain careless reading errors. Be that as it may, I'm just surprised that I faltered so badly in LR - I was particularly confident that I even may have perfected the first LR section. Looks like I got review to do.

NoWorries

Postby NoWorries » Fri May 10, 2013 10:56 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:May the 10th. Officially the final month, TLSers.

Indeed. Just put up a -7 (176) on completely fresh PT 24. My new high.

Time to rage for a little.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri May 10, 2013 11:13 pm

Good luck fuckers. Let's give it everything we've got.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Fri May 10, 2013 11:16 pm

When reviewing past PT's and Sections of LR, do you guys review the entire section (essentially doing it over) with no idea how many you got wrong? Or do you just review your wrong answers (assuming you were certain of all the answers you put down, obviously if you were hesitant about an answer then i would consider it wrong)? Or something in between?

Also, what is your strategy for RC? Do you redo the sections, or write down the question with explanations on why each answer is correct or incorrect (like LR)?

Thanks

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat May 11, 2013 3:11 pm

PT 45

Experimental (done first, RC from #24): -4, 34 mins
LR1: 0, 31 mins
RC: 0, 35 mins
LG: 0, 23 mins
LR2: -1 (#20), 32 mins

98/99 raw, 180 scaled. My first 180.

I have seen this, or at least some of it, before. Some questions seemed a bit familiar. I'm not sure how much that played a role subconsciously, but this definitely helps my confidence a lot. Onward!

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Sat May 11, 2013 3:36 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:PT 45

I have seen this, or at least some of it, before. Some questions seemed a bit familiar. I'm not sure how much that played a role subconsciously, but this definitely helps my confidence a lot. Onward!

Amazing. Have a beer. Kinda jealous, this makes me wanna get my drill on extra hard

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat May 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Congrats bud. The first time is always a great feeling.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Sat May 11, 2013 4:54 pm

Tried a test that I hadn't seen before, PT 67:

RC: -3
LG: -3
LR: 0

Damn I cannot believe I messed up on lg AGAIN. Just got sloppy in reading the rules/setup/checking over rules before selecting answer choices. Zones were awkward to understand but I guess it just reinforces the importance of reading setups carefully. Frustrating to hear how people usually say LG is free points, and it's still keeping me down :x . I think I have to balance the urge to rush through LG while still being careful....

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat May 11, 2013 5:36 pm

the_pakalypse wrote:I think I have to balance the urge to rush through LG while still being careful....

This is my problem, too. It's really hard to go back to a question from an earlier game once you finish the section. But, I hate feeling like I'm being too thorough on the first time through, just in case there is some monster 15-min. game coming up at the end.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat May 11, 2013 11:50 pm

Took PT 59 tonight - got another 167. So my last three scores, in order, have been: 167, 168 and 167. I'm trying not to get discouraged, as I imagine it should take more than a week (first time I got in the high 160s was a week ago) to get into the 170s. But the fact that my scores in LR are suddenly becoming regular -5s and -4s per section since trying these more recent tests is what's bothering me. Still averaging -4 to -5 in RC, but I sense that's going to improve as I continue to get more familiar with the newer test RC. My timing's getting better there, and I'm synthesizing more of the relevant information more quickly.

For you guys that at one point were regularly scoring in the high 160s, how long did it take you to start getting consistent 170+s?
Last edited by Otunga on Sat May 11, 2013 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Sat May 11, 2013 11:51 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
the_pakalypse wrote:I think I have to balance the urge to rush through LG while still being careful....

This is my problem, too. It's really hard to go back to a question from an earlier game once you finish the section. But, I hate feeling like I'm being too thorough on the first time through, just in case there is some monster 15-min. game coming up at the end.

Exactly. Plus, it doesn't help that I have this paranoia that I'm going to get screwed on the last game like I did when I did my first real LSAT (65, Dec 2012).

Thus far, I think my strategy has been to stay calm as long as I can finish 3 games before ~23ish minutes. This usually gives me enough time to work carefully (rereading setups etc). 12-13 minutes is usually the max a game has ever taken me, so I'm hoping the fourth game won't be too bad.

I have to keep reminding myself that if I find a game hard, then its most likely a hard game for 90/100 of LSAT takers... consequently, some games in the section will be easier to balance out the section. It's hard for me to internalize that and really believe it though..

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun May 12, 2013 12:52 am

-5/176 on 44 yesterday. Ready for this to be over.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun May 12, 2013 12:54 am

Congrats man. I think a dip in score for awhile usually gives way to some kind of breakthrough. You'll probably ride 180s past test day.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Sun May 12, 2013 7:56 am

23 minutes on games...good god. How did you get there?

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Sun May 12, 2013 3:00 pm

Beercules wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

I felt like this a few months ago, and then I started finishing LG sections that quick.

Drill, Drill, Drill.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun May 12, 2013 5:52 pm

Squintz805 wrote:
Beercules wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

I felt like this a few months ago, and then I started finishing LG sections that quick.

Drill, Drill, Drill.

Thanks everyone... now if only it can be close to replicated on June 10th...

And agreed with Squintz. Occasionally I'll get tripped up by some games still, but for the most part most LG sections are just the same now with different variables and slightly different setups. Drill and then drill more. Other than the random tough games (Zephyr, dinosaurs, a few others), games should be so automatic that it's almost a chance for your brain to relax a bit from the draining RC/LR sections. Take full sections (PT 20-40-- first 20 and especially 10 are weird), and if any game gives you a problem, do it again and again.

I generally don't watch the 7sage videos, at least at first. If a game gives me a problem, I want to do it again and figure out the inferences myself. For me if I watch one of the videos, I get a perfect explanation with all the inferences, and while I have the "oh yeahhhh" moment, it doesn't help me as much.

The easy games shouldn't take more than 6 minutes each-- for the most part, the first 2 games don't throw anything new at you at all. I want to give myself a good 22+ minutes for the last 2 games on test day.

Word1

Postby Word1 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:30 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
Squintz805 wrote:
Beercules wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

Drill, Drill, Drill.

Thanks everyone... now if only it can be close to replicated on June 10th...

And agreed with Squintz. Occasionally I'll get tripped up by some games still, but for the most part most LG sections are just the same now with different variables and slightly different setups. Drill and then drill more. Other than the random tough games (Zephyr, dinosaurs, a few others), games should be so automatic that it's almost a chance for your brain to relax a bit from the draining RC/LR sections. Take full sections (PT 20-40-- first 20 and especially 10 are weird), and if any game gives you a problem, do it again and again.

I generally don't watch the 7sage videos, at least at first. If a game gives me a problem, I want to do it again and figure out the inferences myself. For me if I watch one of the videos, I get a perfect explanation with all the inferences, and while I have the "oh yeahhhh" moment, it doesn't help me as much.

The easy games shouldn't take more than 6 minutes each-- for the most part, the first 2 games don't throw anything new at you at all. I want to give myself a good 22+ minutes for the last 2 games on test day.

You are a Boss, thanks for the motivation to drill the crap out of assumption questions right now. And, you made it harder for yourself by taking RC (experimental) first, I think RC first always makes the test more difficult.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Sun May 12, 2013 7:19 pm

This last week I read the Manhattan RC book and it changed my life. I was averaging about -5 per RC section and now I am averaging -2 and I think I will improve more. I highly, HIGHLY recommend it. I just wish I had read it a month ago.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 pm

Drilling LR, and some of these questions I'm getting wrong are just silly. I IMMEDIATELY see why the answer I chose is wrong and why the correct answer is right - it's not a matter of having to sort through the problem and systematically pick out premises and conclusion. Instead of -4 per section, I ought to be getting -2 to -1 given these careless mistakes. While it's frustrating, I think it'll just be remedied with more practice. Speaking of getting more practice, I've noticed that I'm prephrasing more of my answers now. And while it's helpful for getting some answers right, I've also noticed with prephrasing that I make up my mind after reading the stem and stimulus, enabling stubbornness to prevent me from seeing the virtues of the right answer.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:49 pm

Otunga wrote:Drilling LR, and some of these questions I'm getting wrong are just silly. I IMMEDIATELY see why the answer I chose is wrong and why the correct answer is right - it's not a matter of having to sort through the problem and systematically pick out premises and conclusion. Instead of -4 per section, I ought to be getting -2 to -1 given these careless mistakes. While it's frustrating, I think it'll just be remedied with more practice. Speaking of getting more practice, I've noticed that I'm prephrasing more of my answers now. And while it's helpful for getting some answers right, I've also noticed with prephrasing that I make up my mind after reading the stem and stimulus, enabling stubbornness to prevent me from seeing the virtues of the right answer.

I agree completely. The answers i get wrong in LR are usually made by careless decision, as I've narrowed down the ac to 2 (1 being correct), and i chose the wrong one because of my prephrasing and my stubborn ways. I actually have a phobia of picking an answer that uses the same terminology as the stimulus if i feel that the other answer fits more appropriately, but I have yet to find out if that assumption is correct. Aside from only thinking about LSAT and visiting this site, I did not review today at all, due to mothers day, but tomorrow im gonna kick it up a notch and finish the RC MLSAT book. Maybe even reread the entire thing. And finish the LR book (i have the inference chapters left).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”