JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

ricekrispies

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby ricekrispies » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:37 am

So I've tried this a few times now but....on the June 2007 LSAT, section 1 questions 6-10. It is about the movies playing at the festival. I just can't seem to get them right! All the other Games questions I am totally fine with but I missed three in this section alone. What type of game is this? I need to find it in my MLSAT book and drill the crap out of it.

pineapple57

Postby pineapple57 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi, checking in! Officially signed up for June (ahhh)
Let's do this!

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luke81

Postby Luke81 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 am

Finished the Basic Ordering chapter in MLSAT LG book. Did my first question set from a real LSAT. Was pumped to get a 7/7, but then realized I'd screwed up my diagrams on the last four question (drew 7 spots instead of 8), so I guess it was some sort of freakish luck…going to work hard not to make such a stupid, thoughtless mistake again.
Last edited by Luke81 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Archangel

Postby Archangel » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:36 am

:D
Last edited by Archangel on Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navaho

Postby navaho » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:04 pm

So just curious, how long is everyone taking approximately each logic game at this stage? For a 7 question game I'm at around 12 minutes and for a 6 question game I'm around 10 minutes. Freaking out cause 8 minutes 45 seconds is pretty much impossible for me probably ever :cry:

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:39 pm

@navaho — there is still plenty of time to lock down speed! i think the consensus is with LG, start out with accuracy and then work on speed once you're consistently getting -0. redo games, the speed with come!

Just checking in with the group, I'm a disappointed Dec. test taker. I am officially getting back on the LSAT study train. I work full time (60+ hrs/week) but I just snuck in 2 in-out grouping games, difficulty 2, with -0 each. I was definitely slower than I should be, but happy because for some reason in-out games always trip me up.

Will post later if I can do more LSAT work from work!

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 pm

navaho wrote:So just curious, how long is everyone taking approximately each logic game at this stage? For a 7 question game I'm at around 12 minutes and for a 6 question game I'm around 10 minutes. Freaking out cause 8 minutes 45 seconds is pretty much impossible for me probably ever :cry:

It really depends on the game.
Pure sequencing? within 5 min
Basic Linear will be less than 5 min.
Advance Linear 8-9 min
Group in out & Matching , I can never cut it down to 9 min but I am working on it.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:42 pm

After you do an obscene amount of games (like, nearly every single one ever released x3), the speed will come. Be an attentive learner.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Just reviewed all of the LG questions I missed from my 159, and did the games several times each until I made all of the inferences and got all of the questions right.

Will be reviewing LR and RC tomorrow morning.

Edit: I also want to add something. The Manhattan LSAT forums are awesome. The discussion threads have helped me gain extra understanding.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:29 pm

ricekrispies wrote:So I've tried this a few times now but....on the June 2007 LSAT, section 1 questions 6-10. It is about the movies playing at the festival. I just can't seem to get them right! All the other Games questions I am totally fine with but I missed three in this section alone. What type of game is this? I need to find it in my MLSAT book and drill the crap out of it.

Would recommend posting this in Blueprint Shinners "office hours" thread below. He's great and real helpful.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm

navaho wrote:So just curious, how long is everyone taking approximately each logic game at this stage? For a 7 question game I'm at around 12 minutes and for a 6 question game I'm around 10 minutes. Freaking out cause 8 minutes 45 seconds is pretty much impossible for me probably ever :cry:

I was exactly the same way for about the first 2-3 months. I really recommend doing a game, then doing it again while watching the guys at 7sage.com. they have free videos for all the games, just make sure you dont fall into the trap of just watching. you should be actively following along, pausing rewinding etc as you go through the games.

Im guessing a lot of your time is spent on conditional games, where it seems there are a ton of possibilities but for most there aren't. They will show you why. I remember watching them the first few times thinking "how in the world did they spot that inference." Now I see many of them the same way they do.

continue using whichever diagramming methods you are comfortable with, they can be translated to their process. Keep posting about your progress on games, I think you'll be surprised.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm

weathercoins wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:So I've tried this a few times now but....on the June 2007 LSAT, section 1 questions 6-10. It is about the movies playing at the festival. I just can't seem to get them right! All the other Games questions I am totally fine with but I missed three in this section alone. What type of game is this? I need to find it in my MLSAT book and drill the crap out of it.

Would recommend posting this in Blueprint Shinners "office hours" thread below. He's great and real helpful.

Thanks for the tip. Will do!

Iroh

Postby Iroh » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:20 pm

Like you, I was totally flabbergasted by the question the first time I saw it. This game seems difficult at first, but it's actually a pretty straightforward open board question (to use Manhattan terminology). I think what makes this problem intimidating is that there aren't really any inferences to put down on a master diagram. I can solve this game pretty quickly, but only by diving into the questions and making mini-diagrams.

I think one of my most most depressing moments in LSAT studying was realizing that the June 2007 LG section was about as easy as LG could possibly get. Sigh.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 pm

If any of you bros ever need LG help, feel free to PM me. Went -0 on LG on the June '12 (PT 66) test. Also, will be relentlessly drilling RC until June.

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:04 pm

Is anyone else going to cut back on the drinking until they take this test?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:16 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:Is anyone else going to cut back on the drinking until they take this test?

I am brother. Sound body, sound mind is the best way to prepare mentally for a test like the LSAT. Then after you take the test, I expect you to walk from the LSAT to the nearest bar and get SLOSHED

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:39 pm

When do people usually register for the June LSAT on LSAC? I plan on applying for a fee waiver but I'm thinking you would need last year's tax returns filled out before you can do that. Can you apply for a waiver after having signed up for the test?

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:09 pm

Ughhhh just finished..didn't prep yesterday so decided to prep all day. Been at it from 11. I think I did like 25 games and 100 assumption LR questions followed by a 30 min break and a full timed pt lol. Pretty happy I got a 173 on pt 32. Lg -0 LR -2 cpmbined and the rest were RC. Fkin hate RC but that's the one section I haven't really "drilled" so hopefully that'll get better. Not gonna touch another pt till the end of February promised myself I'd focus on drilling.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:36 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
shieldofachilles wrote:Ughhhh just finished..didn't prep yesterday so decided to prep all day. Been at it from 11. I think I did like 25 games and 100 assumption LR questions followed by a 30 min break and a full timed pt lol. Pretty happy I got a 173 on pt 32. Lg -0 LR -2 cpmbined and the rest were RC. Fkin hate RC but that's the one section I haven't really "drilled" so hopefully that'll get better. Not gonna touch another pt till the end of February promised myself I'd focus on drilling.

That's fucking awesome.

thank you thank you...but its one test lol. if that score stays there or goes higher over the next 20 then ok ill b happy..but right now its just good motivation to keep going. I think what changed from the first timed pt i took to today's was the thought of time. I wasnt worried about finishing LR or LG...RC different story. LR i finished early both times..did 15 in 15 and with the parallel questions i had the time so i did a quick diagram and matched the answer instead of having to think about it. Thoughts about wrong answers in LR were so automatic. it was just like out of scope could be, but doesnt have to be true, this is retarded..ok this one's better than the other move on. ive focused on LR for the last two weeks so i was worried about my performance on that section than anything else.

nugnoy

Postby nugnoy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 pm

Started Manhattan Logic games 3rd ed today, got to page 145. Probably study 3 more hours.

Manhattan Logic game's Relative Ordering chapter is better than both Testmaster's Pure sequencing AND Powerscore's Pure sequencing. I honestly didn't have much expectation because Basic ordering chapter was so-so: had some typo's and set-ups aren't as comprehensive as testmasters or powerscore. But the Relative ordering blew me away - Clearly superior than the other 2, maybe even combined!

(I've studied Powerscore's old LGB though, they might've improved it by now - I'll find out when I go through the newest edition probably next week)

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:58 pm

Random Q: Anyone know where I can find a list of the section orders for each PT? I have a PDF version of a couple tests and the sections appear to be jumbled, but I don't want to take them out of order. =\

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:03 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Random Q: Anyone know where I can find a list of the section orders for each PT? I have a PDF version of a couple tests and the sections appear to be jumbled, but I don't want to take them out of order. =\

really? no numbers running along the top of the section? thats weird never heard of that.

Found this for pts 1-10 but thats about it. http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/3442/110d.png

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:20 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Random Q: Anyone know where I can find a list of the section orders for each PT? I have a PDF version of a couple tests and the sections appear to be jumbled, but I don't want to take them out of order. =\

Here will do
http://www.cambridgelsat.com/resources/ ... fications/
Just scroll to the PT number you are looking for.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”