JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

bombaysippin

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby bombaysippin » Sat May 04, 2013 9:06 pm

MrBlueSky! wrote:Long time TLS fan who has been lurking in the shadows for 2+ Years...and need some advice for June 2013 (currently registered).

History:
Finished all Power Score Bibles in 2012
Currently in Manhattan LSAT In-Person Course (March-June)
Am studying full time until June Test. Zero other obligations. Willing to study as much as needed.
Maintaining good diet, exercise, sleep.

Materials on hand/with access to:
ALL PTs (1-68)
Manhattan LR,LG,RC Strategy Guide Books
Book Broken down by question type for LR,LG,RC from 41-50

June 2007 = 158, LR-7 , LG-0, LR -7, RC -11 (Timed with experiment section)
PT 50 = 155 RC -12 , LR - 8, LG - 0 , LR - 11 (Timed w/o experiment).

All other PTs, besides 46 (used for experiment) are untouched.

LR Issues: Almost all my misses are between questions 16-22 ...I am pushing to get to question 15 in first 15 minutes (so far im close)
RC Issues: Currently choosing to read all 4 passages, but have terrible accuracy when fast reading 4 passages.

Test Taking Observation: Always feeling "rushed/anxious" and losing accuracy for LR/RC (naturally a moderate pace reader).

With all the information provided, what do I need to focus on to bump my score up...to a 170, for the June test. I am studying full time, or at least have the option to.

Thanks for any advice. Please be honest too, no hurt feelings here. I'd rather face reality on here than *wish the best* my way to a 153 on test day.

Lol. Just replied to you in some other thread, but I'll post it here too for whatever it's worth.

Have you tried using lsatqa.com? To see if the type of questions you're missing from 16-22 follow a general pattern, which could show you if you have a specific weakness for a certain type of LR question. Then again, if you've only taken 2 PTs, I don't really know how much lsatqa could help because you don't seem to have a big enough sample of questions done from full PTs to show a representative pattern for any weaknesses. Try doing blind review for LR too after PTs. Google blind review if you don't know what it is already and you'll be able to find out more about it from 7Sage.

As for reading comp, if you know you have trouble with accuracy, you could try doing 3/4 a lot slower and more accurately. Then with whatever remaining time left, skim the last passage and at least try to answer the main point question. If you try this approach, I've heard people try to save the comparative reading for last since it seems to be easier to answer questions for those or to skim it quickly. Then again if it's easier to do the comparative reading, then maybe it would be a good thing to accurately get all the questions right for this section.

Though, at the same time...if you're shooting for a 170 by June, you'd have to get the majority of the questions for LG and LRx2 right, and then you could afford to get like 10-12 wrong (depending on the curve) for reading comp...so idk how appropriate it would be to only try and do 3/4 if you're still having a good amount of trouble with LR questions. Sorry I guess I am contradicting my own advice? lol...

I'm signed up for June too, so I haven't taken an LSAT yet, so I'm definitely not super qualified to answer stuff lol, but Idk how possible a 170 is with only about a month left to prep if you've only taken 2 PTs. You're going to probably need a lot more PTs along with extensive reviewing of those PTs after you take them to really go over what you got wrong. This is especially the case with LR.

I think you would be better off waiting and prepping till October, unless you get some crazy consistent improvements in the next few weeks.

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sat May 04, 2013 9:50 pm

Took my third Preptest today (including diagnostic). About six weeks prep.

Preptest 53
Score: 167
Raw: 86
LR1: -6 (got 3 of the first ten wrong, which is just silly)
LG: -3
LR2: -1
RC: -4

Overall, this score is encouraging. My previous two PT scores were 153 (diagnostic) and 160 (PT32).

I haven't reviewed yet, but in quickly going through the first LR section, I made some dumb misreads. I doubt it's the case that I got -1 on the second LR due to being 'warmed up', as in drilling consecutive LR sections over the past week, I've scored better on the first one than the second one every time. In any case, getting three wrong in 1-10 just shouldn't happen. I recognized why the right answers were right almost as soon as looking at those. Another note on LR: usually my misses come in 19-25. I've heard 14-18 are generally the hardest, but may questions in that range be considered 'the hardest' as well in some cases?

On the last four LG sections I've drilled (from PTs 29-38), my scores were (not sure of the order) -3, -2, -3, and -1, so the -3 was sort of expected. I need to get that to -0/-1 consistently, and soon. Two of my wrong answers were random guesses due to timing issues. The third game was giving me issues, so I simply skipped two questions from it and went ahead. Didn't have much time at the end to give even an educated guess at those two.

RC was within my average (at least from my small sample size where I've scored between -2 to -4). Never did comparative passages before, and got one of those wrong.

I improved individually on every section from my last PT three weeks ago. Even the -6 beats the -7s I got on both LR sections last time. Have to continue drilling all sections for a week, and then I'll take another PT next Saturday. I'm going to continue to emphasize LR, but I'll also make sure I do enough LG to get that -0.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Sat May 04, 2013 10:13 pm

edit
Last edited by jad0re on Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Sun May 05, 2013 12:11 am

This is me venting. Feel free to move on.

Man, I should've just not taken a practice test today. I hadn't studied for like a week due to finals. I moved back from college the day before, got like four hours of sleep, and then was at my brother's graduation (go blue!) for like eight hours today. And then I decided, "hey, why not take prep test?" I ended up with a 159...

The problem was, I knew I was fucking it up while I was taking it. I could feel my brain working slower, my memory wasn't very good. I had to re-read reading comprehension passages when normally I just breeze through that. I did really well on the logic games, only missed like two or three questions each (experimental was LG), but I tanked the LR and RC. When I took my first diagnostic with Testmasters, it was the other way around. Bombed logic games, but only missed 3-4 on the others. This was only my second practice test, but still. I usually nail those sections on homework and struggle a bit with LG, not the other way around.

I feel like the reason things played out the way they did is because even when I'm tired, logic either happens or it doesn't. When I'm drawing out the diagram, I don't actually have to remember much, I just let it all slide in together, you know?

But my reading... it was just utter shit. My comprehension was absolute shit. I honestly felt intoxicated or something. I've never been more furious at myself and my brain in my entire life.

Okay, venting over. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I'm going to suck it up, hit up the review session tomorrow, and then I'm going to get a good night's sleep. Then on monday I'm going to take another practice test; hopefully one that will be truly indicative of where I'm at. I'll get back to y'all then. Sorry for the whining, thanks for putting up with the b.s.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:10 am

So yesterday I spent 3 hours doing 60 or so level 3 problems for the 6 weakest sections according to LSATQA. I got 13 wrong, so today Im going to go over those wrong answers and then do 60 or so level 4's then tomorrow I'm gonna jump back into PTing, this time hopefully with better scores. But I have a question, how will doing these 3's and 4's help my 1's and 2's, which are most commonly on the test?

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:06 pm

mvonh001 wrote:So yesterday I spent 3 hours doing 60 or so level 3 problems for the 6 weakest sections according to LSATQA. I got 13 wrong, so today Im going to go over those wrong answers and then do 60 or so level 4's then tomorrow I'm gonna jump back into PTing, this time hopefully with better scores. But I have a question, how will doing these 3's and 4's help my 1's and 2's, which are most commonly on the test?

Don't get too caught up in how Cambridge classifies these LR questions. There are some from the 1s and 2s that are just as hard as some from the 3s and 4s and vice versa. Focus on mastering your method and you'll find that the 3s and 4s will be just as easy as the 1s and 2s.

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm

I have put of LSAT prep for about a week and a half now because I was busy with finals/graduation. But during this time I took a total 3 timed LR sections to gauge my progress. Before this point I was focusing solely on LR drilling/ NA and Flaw questions as well as the Manhattan interact program. The first 2 sections I scored minus 2 on each and today i just scored minus 3.

I really hope this is not a fluke but I think I'm starting to get better on this section, just happy I'm improving. I'm only 4 chapters into the Manhattan LR book (drilling 150 questions after each chapter + online Manhattan Interact hw) but the book is truly incredible. Really makes your approach to LR questions systematic. I'm no longer trying to understand why an AC is right before I move on, I just make sure I have 4 good reasons to eliminate 4 ACs. I often don't even look at the final choice if I know the other 4 are wrong, although I do not recommend that, lol.

I am realizing that my success on LR is directly correlated to how fast I can go on the first 15 or so questions without compromising accuracy. If I bomb the first 15, I'll end up with a minus 6 or 7 on the section. If the first 15 is cake, I'll end the section with minus 2 or 3.

Now that I'm done with all my school priorities, I am ready to get into full PT mode. I haven't began drilling weaken/strengthen/parallel questions yet, but I look to finish the Manhattan book this week and finish drilling all the hard questions for these types. I'll take a PT Tuesday and Saturday this week. Tomorrow is full out drill mode.

Also haven't looked at an RC section in over a month. Need to start incorporating that into my prep.

melmoththewanderer

Postby melmoththewanderer » Sun May 05, 2013 8:10 pm

Just thinking out loud, has anyone here done 63 yet? and if so what'd you think of it?

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Sun May 05, 2013 9:36 pm

I find that I do much worse on LR sections when I do the questions in order. I've been averaging -3 on individual LR sections, but recently when I didn't do a section the way I normally do it (do 11-25 first, and then 1-10), I got a -7. I seem to breeze through 1-10 after I do 11-25 first. However, when I did the questions in order, not so much.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Sun May 05, 2013 9:42 pm

Took 2 timed sections yesterday. Got my ass kicked. Took the same 2 sections today untimed did much better. I thinking the timing issue stops my brain from functioning. Will take 2 more timed sections tomorrow to see if I should be ready for June. I hate this fucken test. I mean one day I'm kicking ass and the next day WTF.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 pm

I didnt get to drill level 4's today, as I spent 2 hours reviewing yesterdays wrong level 3's. But i think i got the most out of it. Except, sometimes, when i see a question that i know i got wrong, the right answer jumps out at me. Even though when i was doing the question originally, i passed over it. I've got major confirmation bias - or anti-confirmation bias. But i intended to write up every wrong answer i got today, but i only wrote down 2 sufficient assumption questions and just went over the others until it was in my mind why i got them wrong (meaning i could go back over the problem at any point in time and explain why that answer i chose was wrong, and the right one is right). So tomorrow im gonna get back into PTing with June 2007's with an extra LR section from PT35. I also plan on finishing the MLSAT RC book tomorrow before I PT.

Any tips one has on their review process for full PT's as well as drilling would be great. I just dont want to waste anymore time. I only have 6 weeks (5 weekends) until game day. And I have cut down my PT scheduling to allow my weekends to review any serios problems I'm having or to drill by question type.

Ron5150

Postby Ron5150 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:16 am

Enjoyed reading this thread, nice to have a support system!

Right now, I am getting between -0 & -1 on LG, -4 on RC, but approx -6 on LR. I have just been studying for one week and ordered the LR bible yesterday. I need to get my LR average down to -3 per section to get a 170 based on my calculations.

Curious if anyone has been in a similar situation on the LR and made the respective improvements I have described above? If so, what do you feel was the most helpful way to breakthrough? I am having the most problems with inference questions out of all the categories in LR.

I really do not want to move my test back to September. I have no obligations/responsibilities except for studying until the June 10th exam date. Any input on my chances for a 170 would be appreciated, thanks everyone!

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon May 06, 2013 10:26 am

Ron5150 wrote:Enjoyed reading this thread, nice to have a support system!

Right now, I am getting between -0 & -1 on LG, -4 on RC, but approx -6 on LR. I have just been studying for one week and ordered the LR bible yesterday. I need to get my LR average down to -3 per section to get a 170 based on my calculations.

Curious if anyone has been in a similar situation on the LR and made the respective improvements I have described above? If so, what do you feel was the most helpful way to breakthrough? I am having the most problems with inference questions out of all the categories in LR.

I really do not want to move my test back to September. I have no obligations/responsibilities except for studying until the June 10th exam date. Any input on my chances for a 170 would be appreciated, thanks everyone!

I started off getting around 75-80% of LR questions right per test and have improved to the point where I usually get around -2 to-3 for the entire LR. I primarily used the Powerscore books from an LSAT class (probably similar to bibles) and drilled a few of my weak areas with Cambridge packets. If you've only been studying for a week and are doing that well, I think you can break the 170 by June.

That being said, since you started PTing so well (looks like around you're around a 167?), I wouldn't settle for a 170. Even if you get a 170 in June, you should consider the October test, because I don't think a month is enough to time to reach your full potential. A higher score would result in better schools and/or scholarships.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon May 06, 2013 11:10 am

i think he means -6 per LR section... Correct me if im wrong OP.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon May 06, 2013 11:13 am

173 on PT 68. This was a good indicator for me because it's really the only test I know I have never seen given my retaker status. It's on the low end of my average, but it's nice to see that it's basically in line with all the other tests.

So everyone worrying about retaking tests: don't. They're probably very close to how you'll score on a completely new test.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon May 06, 2013 11:33 am

Checking back in! I took my first 5-section pt this past week (pt 63), and scored a 168. This was after scoring a 170 on pt 61 a couple days prior. I encourage everyone to take 5-section tests bc my mind was mush by the time I got on the final section, and my score reflected it.

Taking pt 67 I believe it is after work today, adding a RC section as my experimental. Good to see everyone progressing through this last month or so of prep. Good luck

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon May 06, 2013 11:34 am

mvonh001 wrote:i think he means -6 per LR section... Correct me if im wrong OP.

Yeah, that's what I think he meant. I initially used a different chart, but this LSAT chart shows that a -17 on the test is often between 165-167.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4853 ... reconv.png

melmoththewanderer

Postby melmoththewanderer » Mon May 06, 2013 11:39 am

I don't know if it is just me but that final section on PT63 was rough. I've never done so poorly on an RC. Anyone else want to vent?

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Mon May 06, 2013 11:52 am

melmoththewanderer wrote:I don't know if it is just me but that final section on PT63 was rough. I've never done so poorly on an RC. Anyone else want to vent?

You know I had heard all the horror stories about pt 63 and the Chopin passage, but I did better than I expected. Like I said in my previous post my mind was mush when I got to that section. Perhaps it's possible that helped me in some way, bc I didn't have the ability to over think the questions (a big problem of mine).

Anyway, I wouldn't put too much stock in how horrible you did bc like I said I have heard it's a tough section.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon May 06, 2013 11:59 am

Yeah, the Chopin passage is kind of legendary. I thought their were harder ones (the sculptor one was tough, and that fucking two language one is one I still mess up on while tutoring), but it does seem to give people problems.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

I just did an LR section on PT 64 and I got a -6, so that left me with a +20 which is pretty good for me.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon May 06, 2013 12:34 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Yeah, the Chopin passage is kind of legendary. I thought their were harder ones (the sculptor one was tough, and that fucking two language one is one I still mess up on while tutoring), but it does seem to give people problems.

I see your Chopin and raise you !Kung.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 pm

If the sculpture passage was the negative light/Japanese artist one, then yeah that was definitely a tough one.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:08 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:If the sculpture passage was the negative light/Japanese artist one, then yeah that was definitely a tough one.

If that's Noguchi then I agree, that passage was crazy hard. Hardest one ever, imo

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon May 06, 2013 1:35 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:Yeah, the Chopin passage is kind of legendary. I thought their were harder ones (the sculptor one was tough, and that fucking two language one is one I still mess up on while tutoring), but it does seem to give people problems.

I see your Chopin and raise you !Kung.

I went -0 on !Kung, but missed two elsewhere in that section. Then again, I'm a weird ass test taker. I never missed the ones I should, and only missed ones I shouldn't.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”