JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

dubster101

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby dubster101 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm

nyjets2090 wrote:PT 45 today

Take aways:
Also, when stuck between two really good answer choices...there will be one word that throws one choice completely off. Generally it's a misplaced "all" or "always." And necessary assumptions are often (see what I'm doing here) weak.

This happens to me so often. About 85% of the answers I get wrong are on questions where I have it narrowed down to two answers, one being the one I selected and the other one being the right one, and mine is given away as incorrect by one small word that I didn't notice.

MKX

Postby MKX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:01 am

Taking PT 44 today. It's been 2 weeks since my last timed PT, I've put in all my time in drilling LR and RC. Almost done with the LR bible so hopefully I see an improvement...

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:40 am

PT 56 yesterday:

LG: -1
LR: -3
RC: -2 (experimental from PT 28)
LR: -1
RC: -1

The miss in LG was a derp on the first game. The last game (executives visiting farmington, homestead or morningside) was a BITCH. It took me almost 15 minutes.

LR1 seemed tough as nails as well. I was on pace for most of the section, but the last five questions or so were just a murderer's row, although I did recall one answer right away (psychotherapy vs psychological help) because I reviewed it previously and thought it was an obnoxious little distinction. Will give me good material to review.

RC was useless because I remembered so much of it. I'm sure it was hard the first time around because I must have reviewed it thoroughly

Overall, I think this was useful because I could glean so much more data from it about where I'm still weak, unlike my last PT that was a 179. I noticed that there are a lot more point of issue and method of objection questions in the newer LR so I'll have to drill those as well. Has anyone noticed other trends as far as question type frequency?

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:39 pm

took PT 46 today

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:53 pm

PT 43 @ 160, up from my only other PT which was a 155 cold on LR/RC. -3 to -5ish on LG/RC, its the LR that is costing me.
Planning to step away from PTs and just drill LR by type and complete the Superprep A,B,C, untimed over the next few days. Anyone think that's worthwhile?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:07 pm

monadologist wrote:PT 43 @ 160, up from my only other PT which was a 155 cold on LR/RC. -3 to -5ish on LG/RC, its the LR that is costing me.
Planning to step away from PTs and just drill LR by type and complete the Superprep A,B,C, untimed over the next few days. Anyone think that's worthwhile?

I can't speak for Superprep, but if you are drilling LR by type, are you also going through the PS Bible at the same time? Would recommend that. Definitely worthwhile to drill LR by type if that's your main issue. Are you definitely taking June, or potentially doing October?

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:16 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
monadologist wrote:PT 43 @ 160, up from my only other PT which was a 155 cold on LR/RC. -3 to -5ish on LG/RC, its the LR that is costing me.

I can't speak for Superprep, but if you are drilling LR by type, are you also going through the PS Bible at the same time? Would recommend that. Definitely worthwhile to drill LR by type if that's your main issue. Are you definitely taking June, or potentially doing October?

I'm actually using Manhattan's LR guide but I haven't been using it as much as type drilling tbh, I'm about half way through it. I find it quite helpful, but not as helpful as just drilling them. I am not definitely taking June, I'm signed up but if I'm not comfortably in the range I wanna be by late May I have no problem delaying. How about yourself?
Thanks for the recommendation btw, should I supplement MLR with Powerscores LR book? I only have their LGB but I could borrow an LRB if you guys think its necessary

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:32 pm

monadologist wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

I'm actually using Manhattan's LR guide but I haven't been using it as much as type drilling tbh, I'm about half way through it. I find it quite helpful, but not as helpful as just drilling them. I am not definitely taking June, I'm signed up but if I'm not comfortably in the range I wanna be by late May I have no problem delaying. How about yourself?
Thanks for the recommendation btw, should I supplement MLR with Powerscores LR book? I only have their LGB but I could borrow an LRB if you guys think its necessary

Also taking June!

I have heard that Manhattan and PS are somewhat equal in terms of LR. I only used Powerscore, so can't speak about Manhattan.

For LG, I only used Manhattan, and it's effective for most things (in and out games an annoying exception IMO).

Good luck!!

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:04 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:
monadologist wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:

Also taking June!

I have heard that Manhattan and PS are somewhat equal in terms of LR. I only used Powerscore, so can't speak about Manhattan.

For LG, I only used Manhattan, and it's effective for most things (in and out games an annoying exception IMO).

Good luck!!

Good luck to you too, and yeah I've read quite a bit about their logic chain method; to be honest, I just use formal logic rules (contra, demorgan etc) to break through in-out games, its easier and doesn't require drawing stuff. Maybe I'm doing MLG's method wrong though, or missing something, but it didnt help as much as I'd hope.

MKX

Postby MKX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:43 pm

So everytime I've PTd (3 times thus far) I have gone up 4 points. Hoping once I do the LGPSB, I won't miss any on those. Weird how 4 points has moved me up 15% as well.

While my score is no where near what I want, I actually made huge strides in LR which I am very happy with, still not where I want to be, but it is very encouraging. Drilling has definitely helped. RC improved a little as well, but I believe I finally found a method that works for me.

Did PT44. Although my score isn't what I want, it was definitely a step in the right direction.

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 pm

MKX wrote:So everytime I've PTd (3 times thus far) I have gone up 4 points. Hoping once I do the LGPSB, I won't miss any on those. Weird how 4 points has moved me up 15% as well.

While my score is no where near what I want, I actually made huge strides in LR which I am very happy with, still not where I want to be, but it is very encouraging. Drilling has definitely helped. RC improved a little as well, but I believe I finally found a method that works for me.

Did PT44. Although my score isn't what I want, it was definitely a step in the right direction.

What do you consider a score that you want? Moving up 4 points per test is pretty substantial, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't specify which neighbourhood of scores we are talking about

MKX

Postby MKX » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:23 pm

monadologist wrote:
MKX wrote:So everytime I've PTd (3 times thus far) I have gone up 4 points. Hoping once I do the LGPSB, I won't miss any on those. Weird how 4 points has moved me up 15% as well.

What do you consider a score that you want? Moving up 4 points per test is pretty substantial, but it doesn't mean anything if you don't specify which neighbourhood of scores we are talking about

My goal is a 170 at least. While it seems impossible from my initial score, the rise in scores has been good to see. Pting again next Tuesday and will be done with finals next week so lsat will have my undivided attention

tehkris

Postby tehkris » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:29 pm

Can you specify drilling for me. Is it just doing one section of a bunch of PT's over and over? If so, are you utilizing the rest of that test? Just heard this term all over the forum and want to get started trying this. Thanks.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:31 pm

Anyone notice that the trend in the most recent PTs (like 51-65) in logic games, there's only 23 questions? Am I the only one upset about this? :(

Games is my best section and was hoping for a relatively easy 24 possible points, but it seems like they decreased one question...anyone know if this is going to be a continuing trend aka in June or just random...(I know it seems like June will be 23, but I am just really really hoping for otherwise...lol)

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:14 pm

tehkris wrote:Can you specify drilling for me. Is it just doing one section of a bunch of PT's over and over? If so, are you utilizing the rest of that test? Just heard this term all over the forum and want to get started trying this. Thanks.

Not necessarily, you can drill by any type. Consider
Kaplans type mastery book, it's what I use. I wish there was a
Type guide with Manhattan classifications but w/e, it's all good

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 pm

tehkris wrote:Can you specify drilling for me. Is it just doing one section of a bunch of PT's over and over? If so, are you utilizing the rest of that test? Just heard this term all over the forum and want to get started trying this. Thanks.

Drilling reduces the test to question types (strengthens, weakens, parallel, and so on). Learning to approach each question by type is best done by drilling many of those questions in a row.

Cambridge LSAT sells packets that have past tests arranged by type.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Wed May 01, 2013 6:14 pm

Hi,
Just curious...
Do you guys drill all of the questions in the package? (do you get all packages or just the ones you don't like?)
Say, you're weak at flaw questions, do you do all flaw questions? (and just do some for the type you're good at maybe?)
Or do you stop drilling when you feel good or you meet old PTs??

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 pm

It's up to you I guess, but if you're still having trouble you should continue to drill.

monadologist

Postby monadologist » Wed May 01, 2013 7:09 pm

15chocolate wrote:Hi,
Just curious...
Do you guys drill all of the questions in the package? (do you get all packages or just the ones you don't like?)
Say, you're weak at flaw questions, do you do all flaw questions? (and just do some for the type you're good at maybe?)

Personally I set a timer for 35 mins and try to get as many LR as possible without compromising accuracy. I don't know whether or not others would think this is a good idea
but it makes drilling a bit more fun I guess. The final minute of speed reading is the nearest thing to an adrenaline rush I get lately in my hollow LSAT prep shell of a life ;)

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Wed May 01, 2013 8:03 pm

monadologist wrote:
15chocolate wrote:Hi,
Just curious...

Personally I set a timer for 35 mins and try to get as many LR as possible without compromising accuracy. I don't know whether or not others would think this is a good idea
but it makes drilling a bit more fun I guess. The final minute of speed reading is the nearest thing to an adrenaline rush I get lately in my hollow LSAT prep shell of a life ;)

Ah, you didn't really answer my question, but I like how you're drilling :D
I wondered whether I should drill all of the questions (of the question types I don't like) so that I can meet all patterns they have, but we'll see...

Thanks you two :)

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed May 01, 2013 11:26 pm

PT 46

-3 LR
-3 LR
-3 RC
-2 LG

Had issues during 1 LR section, couple of jackasses in the quiet room (with no less than 5 signs which signal that talking in the room is prohibited) of the library were on the phone chatting and people were eating and talking. Worked through the section then I was extremely polite to the librarian so that I could take the rest of test in a back room. Good learning experience, since you never know if the proctor is going to be oblivious and pull something like that.

One RC passage was quite difficult for me. I fell into the trap of trying to understand the passage rather than sticking to reading for what the LSAT cares about. Also, because I had seen this passage before [Cultural revolution in China and art, the others were new] (retaking) I was constantly trying to remember my first answers so I didn't make the same mistake rather than reading.

LG went surprisingly well for me. One game was weird (light switches) but easy. Just took me a minute to realize it was one of these weird games, but I set it up like an in-and-out game and aced it. The profiling game (genres of music that stores sell) took time but I aced it. Misread a rule on the last game, realized I had, but didn't have time to change my answer in the bubble sheet. Why I recommend people PT with a bubble sheet, had it been test day this would've been my score.

LR seemed a little weird, more "except" questions than I'm used to and one or two oddly worded prompts. Standard stuff though, have 1 more PT on Friday before I take the weekend to drill the hell out of LGs and weaken questions.

Even though I'm scoring high, I'm trying to keep the basics in mind. Read the rules carefully on LGs, note logical force in RC and LR, and don't bring assumptions into an answer choice (this answer would work, if). No good on the LSAT.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 am

Bajam wrote:Anyone notice that the trend in the most recent PTs (like 51-65) in logic games, there's only 23 questions? Am I the only one upset about this? :(

Games is my best section and was hoping for a relatively easy 24 possible points, but it seems like they decreased one question...anyone know if this is going to be a continuing trend aka in June or just random...(I know it seems like June will be 23, but I am just really really hoping for otherwise...lol)

I just started the manhattan LSAT the other day, and they actually mention the drop to 23 questions. I would anticipate another 23 question section in June.

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 am

i just got OWNED in preptest 8, got a combined -13 on both LRs. also got a -4 on LR2 Section 4 for Preptest 19. i'm freaking out.

VegasLaw702

Postby VegasLaw702 » Thu May 02, 2013 1:09 am

longlivetheking wrote:i just got OWNED in preptest 8, got a combined -13 on both LRs. also got a -4 on LR2 Section 4 for Preptest 19. i'm freaking out.

Take newer PTs. I think TITCR

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Thu May 02, 2013 1:12 am

longlivetheking wrote:i just got OWNED in preptest 8, got a combined -13 on both LRs. also got a -4 on LR2 Section 4 for Preptest 19. i'm freaking out.

The earlier prep tests are a good deal different from the current tests. They're still useful, but don't let that destroy your confidence. The LR are worded a bit differently in the earlier tests. Go over it tonight or tomorrow, and learn from it. It seems like a few people have had some rough PTs recently.

My LGs progress has stalled lately, so I'm going over Manhattan at a pretty quick pace, trying not to freak out myself.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”