JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
objection_your_honor

Silver

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Got a 168 a couple of weekends ago, deputydog. The next weekend I got a 180. This weekend I went 176 and 172, so don't be discouraged as it's likely an outlier (but still an important indicator).

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:53 pm

Also you guys with 3.x+ should please just stay away from UVA so guys like armedwithamind and I have a chance.

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:12 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Got a 168 a couple of weekends ago, deputydog. The next weekend I got a 180. This weekend I went 176 and 172, so don't be discouraged as it's likely an outlier (but still an important indicator).
Can you guys name a few PT's that are NON outliers on either side? I need to take a couple PT's here to quick to determine if JUNE is a go or if I need to hold off until OCT.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:17 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Got a 168 a couple of weekends ago, deputydog. The next weekend I got a 180. This weekend I went 176 and 172, so don't be discouraged as it's likely an outlier (but still an important indicator).
Can you guys name a few PT's that are NON outliers on either side? I need to take a couple PT's here to quick to determine if JUNE is a go or if I need to hold off until OCT.
It's not the PTs themselves, but the natural variance in one's ability to score consistently. Sometimes all the stars align, and sometimes it's a perfect storm, but most times you're somewhere in between. What I am referring to as "outliers" are those scores on the extremes.

For diagnostic purposes, any test in the 50s or 60s will give you a pretty reliable read on what you are likely to score in June.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Yea man. I've gone a ton of PTs in a row above 170. This 168 is just motivation to work harder and know that I'm not home free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:02 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
It's not the PTs themselves, but the natural variance in one's ability to score consistently. Sometimes all the stars align, and sometimes it's a perfect storm, but most times you're somewhere in between. What I am referring to as "outliers" are those scores on the extremes.

For diagnostic purposes, any test in the 50s or 60s will give you a pretty reliable read on what you are likely to score in June.
Well, RhymeslikeDimes says 68 (DEC 2012) was one of the hardest ever. Just trying to avoid those for the purpose of figuring out if I'm close to being ready.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:04 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:

Well, RhymeslikeDimes says 68 (DEC 2012) was one of the hardest ever. Just trying to avoid those for the purpose of figuring out if I'm close to being ready.
Maybe a particular section was harder than average, but chances are the other sections were easier than average. It all evens out. There is no significant difference in net difficulty, PT to PT.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:07 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:Well, RhymeslikeDimes says 68 (DEC 2012) was one of the hardest ever. Just trying to avoid those for the purpose of figuring out if I'm close to being ready.
For what it's worth, that was my real LSAT and I underperformed a bit. I ended up missing more in each section than my PTs, especially LG -5 or more and around -8 between the two LRs. I've tried to block it out of my mind, but I plan on retaking it and reviewing it about one month before the test.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:13 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:Well, RhymeslikeDimes says 68 (DEC 2012) was one of the hardest ever. Just trying to avoid those for the purpose of figuring out if I'm close to being ready.
For what it's worth, that was my real LSAT and I underperformed a bit. I ended up missing more in each section than my PTs, especially LG -5 or more and around -8 between the two LRs. I've tried to block it out of my mind, but I plan on retaking it and reviewing it about one month before the test.
It's not uncommon to underperform on the official writing of the LSAT, especially LG, no matter which one you take. I took the October 2012 test and the same thing happened to me. Confirmation bias will lead you to think that the test itself was uniquely hard. Don't fall for that trap or you might find yourself thinking "damn, this must be a hard one" in the middle of your next official LG section.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

the_pakalypse

Bronze

Post by the_pakalypse » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:25 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
It's not uncommon to underperform on the official writing of the LSAT, especially LG, no matter which one you take. I took the October 2012 test and the same thing happened to me. Confirmation bias will lead you to think that the test itself was uniquely hard. Don't fall for that trap or you might find yourself thinking "damn, this must be a hard one" in the middle of your next official LG section.
So true, I thought Dec 2011 LG was ridiculously hard... although I still think it's a bit higher on the difficulty scale

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Confirmation bias
This is interesting -- never heard of this concept before

The-Specs

Silver

Post by The-Specs » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Hey guys, got my first 180 today on PT 49.

My only miss was on LG which to me made no sense. I just forgot a rule when answering one question. Finished each section with at least 4 min to go so there was no need to rush through the question. Overall today games gave me more problems than normal. Obviously I am pleased but that kind of a slip-up is going to keep me humble. This week I start three-a-weeks and now that I have tasted a 180 i am not anxious to give it up.

Keep working everyone, if I can do it you all can.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:54 pm

deputydog wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:168 today bros. All because of RC. Confidence shook, must pound brews.
sucks bro. i hope that we will be together at THE university of virginia
I'll scout bars for you guys.
I could fuck with cville.
Samesies.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:05 pm

-14 could get you a 170 on the DEC test, so it was clearly a notch tougher than most of the more recent tests (curve has typically been -9-11 in recent years).

I'm holding out hope that UVA might give me $$$ if I do well enough on the LSAT. So I might be headed there as well.
Last edited by RhymesLikeDimes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pneumonia

Gold

Post by Pneumonia » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:07 pm

Squintz805 wrote:In the game, their was an indefinite amount of beads only differentiated by being one of five colors. And the number of beads to be chosen was indefinite as well.
I immediately knew exactly what game and question you were talking about. I missed that one drilling and it took me like half an hour to figure out why afterwards. I angrily circled the sh*t out of whatever indicator there was about it being "every" 8 objects once I saw it.

Also: checking in. have been lurking this thread since January and been very motivated.

Chambo

Bronze

Post by Chambo » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Did four LG sections today..

LG 25: -1 (2 minutes left)
LG 26: -3 (time)
LG 27: -4 (time)
LG 28: -1 (5 minutes left)

Woof. I can't seem to kick that one last fuckup on my good sections, and I'm still pretty shaky on the tougher games... Snakes and lizards was a womp trainwreck, and some of the other ones soaked up so much time that I needed to fly through the last game and missed some in my rush. I guess I could go back to the drawing board and drill by type. Any thoughts?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Chambo wrote:Did four LG sections today..

Woof. I can't seem to kick that one last fuckup on my good sections, and I'm still pretty shaky on the tougher games... Snakes and lizards was a womp trainwreck, and some of the other ones soaked up so much time that I needed to fly through the last game and missed some in my rush. I guess I could go back to the drawing board and drill by type. Any thoughts?
I took the LG for 27 a few minutes ago and ended up with a -7, my worst LG since my Dec LSAT. Snakes and lizards destroyed me. I probably spent over 5 minutes before I even answered the first question on that game. I ended up skipping the rest of it for the next game, and didn't get back to it. In addition to drills, I have to get into the habit of moving past questions I am hung up on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:50 pm

You may want to try this. I did it with some of the people I tutor and it went well:

Cover up all the questions and just look at the stim+rules. Take as much time as you need and get every single inference you can, and get the best diagram you can. I don't think you want to use diagramming as a crutch, but you have about 7 weeks left, and getting back to the basics for a bit could definitely help. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with that type of variance on LG.

homie1515

Bronze

Post by homie1515 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Does everyone here recommend I PT from 40s'-->50's-->60's sequentially? Or split them up or do some other odd format for testing.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:22 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:

You may want to try this. I did it with some of the people I tutor and it went well:

Cover up all the questions and just look at the stim+rules. Take as much time as you need and get every single inference you can, and get the best diagram you can. I don't think you want to use diagramming as a crutch, but you have about 7 weeks left, and getting back to the basics for a bit could definitely help. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't be too comfortable with that type of variance on LG.
LG is the easiest section to master. I wouldn't take the test until you know LG is an auto -0.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm

deputydog wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

LG is the easiest section to master. I wouldn't take the test until you know LG is an auto -0.
TBF, those are some of the hardest games sections out there, but yeah, I agree.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:42 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
deputydog wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

TBF, those are some of the hardest games sections out there, but yeah, I agree.
True, but once you get to that level there is no such thing as a hard game. You remember zones. IIRC you smashed it. I was a high 160s scorer and smashed it too. While some games are more difficult compared to each other, none are difficult if you prepare for them properly.

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:43 pm

For drilling LG, anybody feel that the first 5-7 tests or so are just useless? So different and so much weirder. Kind of kills my confidence when I attempt some of them actually.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:44 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:For drilling LG, anybody feel that the first 5-7 tests or so are just useless? So different and so much weirder. Kind of kills my confidence when I attempt some of them actually.
They are funky for sure.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 pm

Some of the very early LR questions are just idiotically worded.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”