JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby The-Specs » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:33 pm

PT 48 today

Raw: 95
Scaled: 172

LR1: -0
LG: -0
RC: -3
LR2: -3

First impressions: I am so glad that I did not take the Dec 2005 test, an 8 point curve?!? Steeper than any I have ever seen. Two of misses on RC and one on LR2 were second guessing myself. I had actually bubbled-in the right answer and then went back and changed them. Overall, I feel good but that elusive -0 is combined LR's is killing me. Still struggling with Flaw and Parallel reasoning, those are always the two I miss.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:45 am

The-Specs wrote:First impressions: I am so glad that I did not take the Dec 2005 test, an 8 point curve?!? Steeper than any I have ever seen. Two of misses on RC and one on LR2 were second guessing myself. I had actually bubbled-in the right answer and then went back and changed them. Overall, I feel good but that elusive -0 is combined LR's is killing me. Still struggling with Flaw and Parallel reasoning, those are always the two I miss.


Have you done the Cambridge Parallel packet? I just finished it, going 67/71 and feel it really helped me.

For me, I realized that the ones I've been getting wrong are the ones where the correct answer presents the conclusion/premises in a different order from the stimulus. I'll be doing parallel flaw shortly.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby The-Specs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:36 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
The-Specs wrote:First impressions: I am so glad that I did not take the Dec 2005 test, an 8 point curve?!? Steeper than any I have ever seen. Two of misses on RC and one on LR2 were second guessing myself. I had actually bubbled-in the right answer and then went back and changed them. Overall, I feel good but that elusive -0 is combined LR's is killing me. Still struggling with Flaw and Parallel reasoning, those are always the two I miss.


Have you done the Cambridge Parallel packet? I just finished it, going 67/71 and feel it really helped me.

For me, I realized that the ones I've been getting wrong are the ones where the correct answer presents the conclusion/premises in a different order from the stimulus. I'll be doing parallel flaw shortly.


I haven't drilled them yet but I am going to start drilling both of them this week. I am having a hard time seeing why I am missing the Parallel though. It isn't just the ordering, in fact, because of PSB LR i think that is a strength and not a weakness. We'll see how the drills go.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:28 pm

Getting back from Europe tomorrow. Took a week break from studying (and work!). Hope everyone's week has been productive, I'm excited (and nervous) for the final stretch!

User avatar
MKX
Posts: 146
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:54 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby MKX » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm

50 days and ~20 hours until test day.

User avatar
tuffyjohnson
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:37 pm

130 hours of LG drill and it's finally coming together! Holy balls was that difficult. Now on to Mahattan's LR guide.

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:01 pm

Did PT 54 today

RC: -1
LR: -0
LG: -1
LR: -1

179

This was a re-take for me and I remember reviewing this PT heavily (as I did with all of the PTs 50+) so I know that this isn't an accurate indication of where I'm at. Still, it was good to work through everything with a new process (using more of Manhattan's methods). I still ran out of time on LG, leading to the one miss. I hadn't looked at LG since Monday, but I'm still disappointed with that. Not much I can do except keep plugging along at this point

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:24 pm

A guy with a 3.92 GPA, who I know from my school's Pre-Law Society, just announced on Facebook that he is going to Albany Law School on a half-scholarship. I feel like I don't know him well enough to tell him how absurd he is being, but watching all his friends and family get excited for him is just making me cringe.

Honestly, he's one of the most grating people I've ever met, and I can't stand him, but I can't help but feel a little sick that an HYS GPA like that is going to waste.

User avatar
tuffyjohnson
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:A guy with a 3.92 GPA, who I know from my school's Pre-Law Society, just announced on Facebook that he is going to Albany Law School on a half-scholarship. I feel like I don't know him well enough to tell him how absurd he is being, but watching all his friends and family get excited for him is just making me cringe.

Honestly, he's one of the most grating people I've ever met, and I can't stand him, but I can't help but feel a little sick that an HYS GPA like that is going to waste.


His LSAT probably blows.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:06 pm

Yeah, I'm sure he does. It's really strange how horrendous people from my school end up doing on the LSAT. I think our pre-law adviser is just some kind of moron. I've sat in class with some of these kids for years, all the time thinking they were bright, capable people, then I hear about all of them going to Hofstra or St. John's or Albany with better GPAs than I have.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mindarmed » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:08 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Yeah, I'm sure he does. It's really strange how horrendous people from my school end up doing on the LSAT. I think our pre-law adviser is just some kind of moron. I've sat in class with some of these kids for years, all the time thinking they were bright, capable people, then I hear about all of them going to Hofstra or St. John's or Albany with better GPAs than I have.


i didnt even bother disclosing my LSAT score to my pre law adviser. he has told people that going to seton hall is a fantastic idea.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:43 am

Lol at pre-law "advisors"

User avatar
mqt
Posts: 2146
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:52 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mqt » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:52 pm

PT 56:

Section 1 (LG): -0
Section 2 (LR1): -1
Section 3 (LR2): -3
Section 4 (RC): -5

Raw: 91 Scaled: 172

After an appalling 167 shook my confidence, I'm happy to be back in the 170s, albeit on the lower end. Got rocked for a -4 on the tadpole passage, so I'm not as upset with the score as I would normally be, as everything else was pretty solid. Anyone have any advice on how to approach passages you just can't seem to understand?

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby The-Specs » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:00 pm

Mqt wrote:PT 56:

Section 1 (LG): -0
Section 2 (LR1): -1
Section 3 (LR2): -3
Section 4 (RC): -5

Raw: 91 Scaled: 172

After an appalling 167 shook my confidence, I'm happy to be back in the 170s, albeit on the lower end. Got rocked for a -4 on the tadpole passage, so I'm not as upset with the score as I would normally be, as everything else was pretty solid. Anyone have any advice on how to approach passages you just can't seem to understand?


Same here. I got a 167 on PT 47, was pretty shaken and then I got a 172 on PT 48. So guess where that leaves PT 47? You guessed it, with a place on my grudge match list.

User avatar
Squintz805
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Squintz805 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:17 pm

Was doing a LG Section just for warm-up today and came across PT 20 S3 Game #3. Just curious if anyone else has seen or remember this game. Its about a single strand of beads of Jeweler makes.

Any who, the 4th rule is a dirty dirty girl. Caused me to miss #17 and waste some time. Just when I thought any tricks wouldn't phase me, the LSAT makers get me good.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:23 pm

Is that the rule where it sounds like you are being given a block (AB), but instead you are getting a "If B, then AB"? Those have popped up a couple times, and they are a bitch.

User avatar
Squintz805
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:33 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Squintz805 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Nah, I know that rule type your talking about though and those are annoying. Buttt...

In the game, their was an indefinite amount of beads only differentiated by being one of five colors. And the number of beads to be chosen was indefinite as well.

One of the rules stated in every "x" number of spots every color needs to be used, but for the majority of readers (from what is seems) and the way it sounds - it suggests if there are more than "x" number of spots
every color needs to be used. If that makes sense.

So, for example what I thought it said was: "If I have more than 6 balls, I have to have at least a (1) soccer ball, (2) basketball, (3) volleyball, (4) tennis ball, and a (5) golf ball." But in reality it states for every 6 balls I have one has to be a soccer ball, basketball, volleyball, tennis ball, and a golf ball, etc.

User avatar
tuffyjohnson
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:17 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Lol at pre-law "advisors"


It's not just pre-law advisors. I've had two partners at two of the largest firms in Minneapolis tell me to go to William Mitchell and that I will be fine there. I've become skeptical.

User avatar
SteelPenguin
Posts: 1090
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:22 pm

Started and completed my Parallel Flaw packet today and went 71/73. I'll do the Cannot Be True packet tonight, then I'll probably get back to drilling grouping games tomorrow.

Uncle Ruslan
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:08 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Uncle Ruslan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Lurker checking in fashionably late. Retaking a 170 from last year - have taken about 7 tests since getting back at it, with results fluctuating from 180 to 166 with an average of........ 171. Cracking down to at least 1 every other day. I'm averaging ~4 wrong on RC, with most of them being suggested/implied, structure and even explicit. Anybody have any direction toward resources to improve RC by TYPE of question? Or is it more of a holistic type thing? I never really put work into RC last time around.

The other struggle is the more complex math-based undefined grouping games. Anybody have an epiphany in approach (comparable to the manhattan logic chain for binary games) on that?

Anyway, you guys are all intimidatingly professional with this - thanks for the help so far.

User avatar
RhymesLikeDimes
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:51 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:Lol at pre-law "advisors"


It's not just pre-law advisors. I've had two partners at two of the largest firms in Minneapolis tell me to go to William Mitchell and that I will be fine there. I've become skeptical.


Anyone who is more than 8 or so years removed from the law school scene is probably way out of touch with the post-recession realities. Your average 40-60 year-old advisor or firm partner went through the process in the boom years of the 80s and 90s, when any old JD was a ticket to the VIP suite.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby 052220151 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:49 pm

168 today bros. All because of RC. Confidence shook, must pound brews.

User avatar
mindarmed
Posts: 959
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:47 pm

deputydog wrote:168 today bros. All because of RC. Confidence shook, must pound brews.


sucks bro. i hope that we will be together at THE university of virginia

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 am

armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:168 today bros. All because of RC. Confidence shook, must pound brews.


sucks bro. i hope that we will be together at THE university of virginia

I'll scout bars for you guys.

User avatar
052220151
Posts: 2421
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:58 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby 052220151 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am

NoodleyOne wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:168 today bros. All because of RC. Confidence shook, must pound brews.


sucks bro. i hope that we will be together at THE university of virginia

I'll scout bars for you guys.


I could fuck with cville.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests