JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

ricekrispies

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby ricekrispies » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:12 am

My LR scores have been consistently improving and I am averaging around -3 per section. Obviously this is higher than I want but it is progress!

Has anyone else been finishing LR with a TON of time left over? I am getting done with each section with about 10 minutes left. I figure this could be what is causing me to miss -3 each time.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 am

ricekrispies wrote:My LR scores have been consistently improving and I am averaging around -3 per section. Obviously this is higher than I want but it is progress!

Has anyone else been finishing LR with a TON of time left over? I am getting done with each section with about 10 minutes left. I figure this could be what is causing me to miss -3 each time.

I get through LR with about ten minutes left these days, but I usually go -0 to -3 combined (usually -2 combined). You need to slow down and process questions more if you are averaging -6 combined; first focus on accuracy, and then go back to picking up extra minutes. Particularly if you have ten minutes left and aren't missing that many, consciously slowing down a bit should help you pick up extra points, and likely with a couple minutes still left on the clock. Good luck!

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:08 am

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:My LR scores have been consistently improving and I am averaging around -3 per section. Obviously this is higher than I want but it is progress!

I get through LR with about ten minutes left these days, but I usually go -0 to -3 combined (usually -2 combined). You need to slow down and process questions more if you are averaging -6 combined; first focus on accuracy, and then go back to picking up extra minutes. Particularly if you have ten minutes left and aren't missing that many, consciously slowing down a bit should help you pick up extra points, and likely with a couple minutes still left on the clock. Good luck!

I often finish around the five minute mark, go back and look tough questions/parallel reasoning.

mlansky

Postby mlansky » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:27 am

This is basically my situation right now too. It's not the worst place to be, as spending the time left over on any answer that
-I hesitated on
-I changed my mind on
-I wasn't certain about
would probably bump my raw score up a good 4 or 5 points. It's hard, especially if I'm doing a 5 or 6-section PT and I finish the second LR early, not to act like I've crossed the finish line when I bubble in the last bubble, but it isn't truly over until the 35min mark or until I have zero doubt left about every single answer. This, at least, is the attitude I need to establish.

Keep up the hard work!

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:12 pm

I've plugged through 10 LR sections in the last week or so and put them on lsatQA. I'm averaging about -2 per section, and I'm usually finishing with a few minutes left over. There isn't a really a strong trend to what questions I'm getting wrong... The misses are about evenly distributed around the big question types, with lower accuracy on some odd ones (evaluate legitimacy, evaluate logical force).

The only pattern I really see is that my misses come on questions with level 4 and 5 difficulty. This is expected, I guess, but it doesn't help me focus review and prep to maximize gains. All I can really glean from that is "just get better overall." Was anyone in a similar situation?

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:31 pm

Chambo wrote:I've plugged through 10 LR sections in the last week or so and put them on lsatQA. I'm averaging about -2 per section, and I'm usually finishing with a few minutes left over. There isn't a really a strong trend to what questions I'm getting wrong... The misses are about evenly distributed around the big question types, with lower accuracy on some odd ones (evaluate legitimacy, evaluate logical force).

The only pattern I really see is that my misses come on questions with level 4 and 5 difficulty. This is expected, I guess, but it doesn't help me focus review and prep to maximize gains. All I can really glean from that is "just get better overall." Was anyone in a similar situation?

Buy the Cambridge difficult question lr bundle. Print 4 copies of it. Drill mercilessly.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:44 pm

deputydog wrote:
Chambo wrote:I've plugged through 10 LR sections in the last week or so and put them on lsatQA. I'm averaging about -2 per section, and I'm usually finishing with a few minutes left over. There isn't a really a strong trend to what questions I'm getting wrong... The misses are about evenly distributed around the big question types, with lower accuracy on some odd ones (evaluate legitimacy, evaluate logical force).

Buy the Cambridge difficult question lr bundle. Print 4 copies of it. Drill mercilessly.

Could I get the same stuff from just printing the difficult questions in the normal packets?

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:49 pm

I guess you could. That seems like a waste of time though. I'd buy the packet. It's $20 bucks. It seems like the twenty bones is better spent than your studying time spent culling questions.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:48 pm

deputydog wrote:I guess you could. That seems like a waste of time though. I'd buy the packet. It's $20 bucks. It seems like the twenty bones is better spent than your studying time spent culling questions.

definitely a credited purchase. shit helped me so much, because i didnt have the attn span for difficult questions

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:08 pm

I'm assuming you often lose out on questions you're 50:50 on? Find out why you're eliminating the right answer. When you come across a tough one, go ahead and slow down a bit, and really focus on the "wrong to right" approach.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:15 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:

I'm assuming you often lose out on questions you're 50:50 on? Find out why you're eliminating the right answer. When you come across a tough one, go ahead and slow down a bit, and really focus on the "wrong to right" approach.

I'm not trying to ride your dick, but thanks for stopping by to answer Qs, give advice, and for writing your guide.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:16 pm

deputydog wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

I'm not trying to ride your dick, but thanks for stopping by to answer Qs, give advice, and for writing your guide.

I'm not doing it to be magnanimous. I'm just bored at work a lot. But I know I benefited from a lot of people on here, so if I can pay it forward in any way, I'm glad to.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:40 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:I'm not doing it to be magnanimous.

I know you're not bro. I'm genuinely grateful, I just didn't want to come off as a fanboy.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:44 pm

First 180 PT! Went -0 on PT 36, woohoo!

Know I should be working on PTs 40+, but I've done the majority of them, so I decided to give the high 30s a shot. Finally started studying for the LSAT again this week after being disappointed with my February score. Went 177 on 38, 175 on 37, and now this. Very encouraging. :)

Do you all think I should continue using old tests I haven't taken, or move on to retaking modern (40+) tests? Any thoughts are appreciated.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:52 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:First 180 PT! Went -0 on PT 36, woohoo!

Know I should be working on PTs 40+, but I've done the majority of them, so I decided to give the high 30s a shot. Finally started studying for the LSAT again this week after being disappointed with my February score. Went 177 on 38, 175 on 37, and now this. Very encouraging. :)

Do you all think I should continue using old tests I haven't taken, or move on to retaking modern (40+) tests? Any thoughts are appreciated.

How many unused tests do you have? Make sure you have decent familiarity with the recent ones. Maybe alternate a modern retake with a fresh old one to stay sharp.

Edit: Oh, and Congrats on the 180!

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 pm

deputydog wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:I'm not doing it to be magnanimous.

I know you're not bro. I'm genuinely grateful, I just didn't want to come off as a fanboy.

When I get my scoar, I will come off as legit fangirl.

Chambo

Postby Chambo » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
deputydog wrote:I guess you could. That seems like a waste of time though. I'd buy the packet. It's $20 bucks. It seems like the twenty bones is better spent than your studying time spent culling questions.

definitely a credited purchase. shit helped me so much, because i didnt have the attn span for difficult questions

I'll have to pick it up, then. Thanks for the suggestion.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:32 pm

deputydog wrote: but thanks for stopping by to answer Qs, give advice, and for writing your guide.

+1 Keep the advice the coming, Noodley. This study group is lacking a NoodleyOne type presence. Your frustration about 170+ scores was always motivating back in the October study thread haha
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meandme

Postby meandme » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Hey guys
Sorry but could someone please tell me website which breaks down the questions by type? I don't remember the name of it.

Thanks

I hate RC

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:56 pm

Does anyone know of a tutor in Boston? I'm feeling very frustrated with my prep, I've been drilling LRs by type but they're still crushing me and I haven't been able to break 165. I really want to be in the 170+ range by May, so I'm very worried and hoping a few hours with a tutor might be able to get me on the right track. Thanks!

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Well, I just purchased my first Cambridge packets. I'm losing about 1 question each test between Parallel and Flaw, so hopefully these will help me fix that problem.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:15 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
TheMostDangerousLG wrote:First 180 PT! Went -0 on PT 36, woohoo!

How many unused tests do you have? Make sure you have decent familiarity with the recent ones. Maybe alternate a modern retake with a fresh old one to stay sharp.

Edit: Oh, and Congrats on the 180!

Thanks for your thoughts, NoodleyOne (you are my retake guru!).

I have about ten fresh 40+ PTs (I completed a few sections here and there back when I first started prepping, but at least five of them should be completely fresh.. wish I had saved more for full PT sessions!). I've only done about five full PTs pre-40, but have completed RC for 1-25 (drilling RC sections). So.. running a bit low on material.

Do you have any tips for when one should do the most recent tests? For the February LSAT, I put off taking the PTs over 60 until the week of the test.. that was definitely stupid. Now wondering when I should return to them/take the remaining. Want to balance seeing modern, fresh material shortly before the test with actually having time to learn and adapt to the minute differences in the most recent tests before test day, this time around.

(And thank you! Was stupid excited to finally have a 180 PT; basically did a victory lap, lol.)

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:18 pm

PT 57:

LG: -0
LR1 -3 (#3, 13, 21. This girl at the next table was squeak-breathing through her nose for the entire section and it just killed my focus)
LR2: -1 (#9)
RC: -3

Raw: 93 --> Scaled: 174

All in all, I'm pretty happy. I hadn't touched anything LSAT in nearly a week, and the constant distraction on LR1 could be blamed for two of my misses there.

I am a little worried, though. Repetitive noises (foot-tapping, finger-drumming, nose-squeaking, etc.) bug the hell out of me. And what are the odds that at least one of the the 50+ people in the room on test day won't pull that BS? I tanked my O-Chem final a couple years ago because the person sitting next to me was sniffling every 5 seconds for the entire two hour test.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:35 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 57:

LG: -0
LR1 -3 (#3, 13, 21. This girl at the next table was squeak-breathing through her nose for the entire section and it just killed my focus)
LR2: -1 (#9)
RC: -3

Raw: 93 --> Scaled: 174

All in all, I'm pretty happy. I hadn't touched anything LSAT in nearly a week, and the constant distraction on LR1 could be blamed for two of my misses there.

I am a little worried, though. Repetitive noises (foot-tapping, finger-drumming, nose-squeaking, etc.) bug the hell out of me. And what are the odds that at least one of the the 50+ people in the room on test day won't pull that BS? I tanked my O-Chem final a couple years ago because the person sitting next to me was sniffling every 5 seconds for the entire two hour test.

I used to be/can default to being the same way. Force yourself to take PTs in noisy places that would normally bug the hell out of you until you learn how to block everything out and just get in the zone. Noisy areas of the library and coffee shops seem to do the trick for most people. Better to be annoyed as hell in the weeks leading up to the test than on the actual test day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”