JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

wtrc

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:That is definitely my problem I don't go over to review my questions after I'm done drilling them. I have to admit though that I am currently a bit burnt out by w drilling by type. I was thinking of just focusing on taking pts for the remaining 60 days and then reviewing the right and wrong answers the day after. How does that approach sound compared to drilling mercilessly? Mind you, after I take the pt and input it into lsatqa I would go over some questions of that type from my drilling packets. And after I take each pt I can review the answers with Kaplan explanations and from that learn why I got each lr wrong or right. Or do i need to figure out the questions I got wrong on my own before I look up explanations?

Also, I'm considering doing velocity any advice from that whole group of users on how much it will help my LR?

Thanks

Assuming problems with LR, I think if you are scoring 170+ drilling by type is no longer as useful and you can focus on reviewing PT errors. If you are regularly below that, or semi-regularly under 165, I think that demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of one or more processes, and you should continue to drill by type with the goal to fix that.

Disagree. Drilling by type is never a bad idea. Keeping track of your stuff on LsatQA, you can find which ones creep up most often and address them. You also need to find out if certain TYPES are holding you up, or if it's simply more difficult questions regardless of type.

Noodley returns!

And yeah, I think if you are scoring 170+ with problems still on LG then it is likely a particular type or two causing issues. LSATQA FTW

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:25 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:That is definitely my problem I don't go over to review my questions after I'm done drilling them. I have to admit though that I am currently a bit burnt out by w drilling by type. I was thinking of just focusing on taking pts for the remaining 60 days and then reviewing the right and wrong answers the day after. How does that approach sound compared to drilling mercilessly? Mind you, after I take the pt and input it into lsatqa I would go over some questions of that type from my drilling packets. And after I take each pt I can review the answers with Kaplan explanations and from that learn why I got each lr wrong or right. Or do i need to figure out the questions I got wrong on my own before I look up explanations?

Also, I'm considering doing velocity any advice from that whole group of users on how much it will help my LR?

Thanks

Assuming problems with LR, I think if you are scoring 170+ drilling by type is no longer as useful and you can focus on reviewing PT errors. If you are regularly below that, or semi-regularly under 165, I think that demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of one or more processes, and you should continue to drill by type with the goal to fix that.

Disagree. Drilling by type is never a bad idea. Keeping track of your stuff on LsatQA, you can find which ones creep up most often and address them. You also need to find out if certain TYPES are holding you up, or if it's simply more difficult questions regardless of type.

Well then — there's your answer, mvonh001. Keep at it.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Also: check the Manhattan boards for explanations. I've heard... varying things about Kaplan's explanations.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

the problem is im not scoring in 170+ territory yet, I scored 155 on my diagnostic, then 168 then 164. So my avg is about 164... I just feel so burnt out by drilling 40+ questions a day (I only get -2 or -3) but then when i take a PT i get -8 per section LR or -11 total LR. So is going PT's from now on then following them up with reviewing my asnwers with kaplan test explanations then follow that up by drilling specific type valid in terms of studying?

Should i take Velocity or 7Sage course? Any help is greatly appreciated..
Last edited by mvonh001 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:28 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Also: check the Manhattan boards for explanations. I've heard... varying things about Kaplan's explanations.

Noted.. thank you

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 pm

I'd say the main benefit of taking a course is for people that have a hard time setting aside time to do it themselves. I've gone over this a few times, so I won't do it in detail, but STUDY SMART. Don't just wade through 50 NA questions and expect some magic revelation. Work on the process. Work on prephrasing, work on identify traps, etc., and do that deliberately.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:33 pm

i think that is what i have been doing... just wading through the questions hoping that they will all click when i PT... Unfortunately, I dont see any traps while im taking the PT's.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:34 pm

mvonh001 wrote:the problem is im not scoring in 170+ territory yet, I scored 155 on my diagnostic, then 168 then 164. So my avg is about 164... I just feel so burnt out by drilling 40+ questions a day (I only get -2 or -3) but then when i take a PT i get -8 per section LR or -11 total LR. So is going PT's from now on then following them up with reviewing my asnwers with kaplan test explanations then follow that up by drilling specific type valid in terms of studying?

What is your weakness?

For games, the 7sage videos are AWESOME. However, those are free and available on their website/youtube/etc.

If your weakness is LR, then try the Manhattan book combined with section drilling. Don't just grade for "incorrect" or TCR when grading. Learn why you decided on the correct answer, and why the other answer's AREN'T correct.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:36 pm

LR is the bane of my existance... I've got games down to -1 average. The problem with reviewing for me is that after i get the correct answer I instantly know why the others where wrong. OR at least i feel I know why the others where wrong. That why i stress the kaplan explanations or manhattan explanations because then i can get a proper reason, but even then i don't know how internalized that answer will be for me - meaning i do no know if i will fall for that same trick again.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:39 pm

mvonh001 wrote:the problem is im not scoring in 170+ territory yet, I scored 155 on my diagnostic, then 168 then 164. So my avg is about 164... I just feel so burnt out by drilling 40+ questions a day (I only get -2 or -3) but then when i take a PT i get -8 per section LR or -11 total LR. So is going PT's from now on then following them up with reviewing my asnwers with kaplan test explanations then follow that up by drilling specific type valid in terms of studying?

If you have only taken 3 PT's (including a cold diagnostic), I wouldn't worry about numbers yet, and definitely wouldn't worry about an average. I also wouldn't take June unless you are sure you are where you want to be. You will see a good amount of variance in your first few PT's, but usually you start to get a lot more consistent (and higher!) as the concepts become clearer. Regarding a course, I don't think it's necessary if you have the motivation to study, which you do. The burn out sucks, but it'll be worth it and won't be as bad once you really start seeing improvement, which you will.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:39 pm

I am the same way- so I am trying to emphasize knowing WHY i picked the wrong answer, versus just knowing that the right answer is TCR.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:45 pm

Hey guys
could someone please explain pt3 sec2 #22. It's about the public reports by national commissions.

I when doing LR questions to look for conclusion and the evidence supporting the conclusion but how about the MBT questions? The usually just have a list of facts. What do you guys circle or underline?

thank you

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:56 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:

If you have only taken 3 PT's (including a cold diagnostic), I wouldn't worry about numbers yet, and definitely wouldn't worry about an average. I also wouldn't take June unless you are sure you are where you want to be. You will see a good amount of variance in your first few PT's, but usually you start to get a lot more consistent (and higher!) as the concepts become clearer. Regarding a course, I don't think it's necessary if you have the motivation to study, which you do. The burn out sucks, but it'll be worth it and won't be as bad once you really start seeing improvement, which you will.

I am going to take June with October as my backup. If i dont do as well as i hoped i will take Blueprint course. But I'm just hoping that my following PT's will be more indicative of my my proper score. So everyon ehere thinks I should stick to drilling by type. I can't continue to drill 50+ questions a sitting, but that is the only way i can finish every category. I am currently doing the second half of level 1's and the second half of level 2's. Any advice on that?

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:14 pm

lsatkid007 wrote:Hey guys
could someone please explain pt3 sec2 #22. It's about the public reports by national commissions.

I when doing LR questions to look for conclusion and the evidence supporting the conclusion but how about the MBT questions? The usually just have a list of facts. What do you guys circle or underline?

thank you

For MBT questions you don't want to focus on the core of the argument; instead, focus on how the facts interact with one another. Usually this interaction will be in the form of conditional logic and that's the case with this question.

The first sentence is just background information providing context to the stimulus. The second sentence is where you'd begin diagramming:

(1)Remain a leading nation in an era of international competitiveness ---> "Need" is Undeniable ("need" is just borrowed language from the first sentence ie) better understanding of int'l affairs by the citizenry)

(2) If there is a need ---> Teachers must be prepared to teach subject matter with an international orientation

We can connect (1) and (2) to get:

Remain a leading nation in an era of international competitiveness ---> Better understanding of int'l affairs by the citizenry ---> Teachers must be prepared to teach subject matter with an international orientation

From this chain we can infer: Remain a leading nation in an era of International Competitiveness ---> Teachers must be prepared to teach subject matter with an international orientation

This is exactly what answer choice A says

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:00 pm

day drinking and ignoring groupwork is so credited bros

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:05 pm

my fellow brothers, please feel free to use this thread for valuable information

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=206480

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:08 pm

armedwithamind wrote:day drinking and ignoring groupwork is so credited bros

Very true, brother.

Dr. Dre wrote:my fellow brothers, please feel free to use this thread for valuable information

180 poast, would read again. Excellent thread too.

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:my fellow brothers, please feel free to use this thread for valuable information

This is fantastic

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:32 pm

For those of you who work full time (I assume there must be some), what does your weekly study schedule look like? I try and study as much as possible when I have down time during the work day (mostly drilling). I take a PT every Saturday. Most people seem to advocate taking 2 PTs a week as it gets closer to test day (June), though I'm wondering how some who work full time are managing to do so.

By way of background, I'm PT'ing at about 170 right now, and would ideally like to get to around 172-173 consistently by the June test. Any tips are appreciated.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:For those of you who work full time (I assume there must be some), what does your weekly study schedule look like? I try and study as much as possible when I have down time during the work day (mostly drilling). I take a PT every Saturday. Most people seem to advocate taking 2 PTs a week as it gets closer to test day (June), though I'm wondering how some who work full time are managing to do so.

By way of background, I'm PT'ing at about 170 right now, and would ideally like to get to around 172-173 consistently by the June test. Any tips are appreciated.

Love your user name...

I worked full time and took classes. You have to make time. But at the same time, make sure you're in the right mindset to study... if you're just not feeling it, go ahead and put the Manhattan guide down and watch some hockey.

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:49 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
Humbert Humbert wrote:For those of you who work full time (I assume there must be some), what does your weekly study schedule look like? I try and study as much as possible when I have down time during the work day (mostly drilling). I take a PT every Saturday. Most people seem to advocate taking 2 PTs a week as it gets closer to test day (June), though I'm wondering how some who work full time are managing to do so.

Love your user name...

I worked full time and took classes. You have to make time. But at the same time, make sure you're in the right mindset to study... if you're just not feeling it, go ahead and put the Manhattan guide down and watch some hockey.

I already do quite a bit of this. :)

Were you doing two PTs a week (one on weekend, one during the week, post-work)?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:51 pm

Doing PTs after work sucks, but its perfectly doable if you have a reasonable commute or w/e.
Or do 4 section PTs on weekdays, 5s on weekends.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:52 pm

Humbert Humbert wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

Love your user name...

I already do quite a bit of this. :)

Were you doing two PTs a week (one on weekend, one during the week, post-work)?

Yeah, toward the end. And I drilled sections three/four other nights a week until the last two weeks where it was pretty much just PT and group review (I was scoring comfortably in my range).

Ambitious1

Postby Ambitious1 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:21 pm

I just scored -2 on PT 40 LR section 1. It is one of the best scores I've ever had. I only had to guess on the last question and it was while I had about 30 ish seconds to go through it, so I wouldn't call it a guess. The other question I got wrong was an INCREDIBLY stupid mistake (a misread) that cost me at least another minute and looking it over I cannot believe I got it wrong. But I will learn from it.

This is the confidence boost I needed. Love seeing results! Manhattan Interact and it's core approach, + drilling, is really paying off for me so far. As well as certain life style changes, like working out every day, not smoking, I feel like I can do anything! :)

This is exactly what I needed, and I will be in a happy mood the rest of the day :) :) :)

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:23 pm

The-Specs wrote:PT 45 today.

LR1: -3
RC: -2
LG: -1
LR2: -1

Raw: 92
Scaled: 175

This is my highest score yet and only the third time I have scored in the 170's. I took about three weeks off from PT's and just drilled, it looks like it paid off. I still need to work on timing for LR and RC but my RC has improved so much I can't complain. Overall, I was very happy. The LR PS Bible helped me a lot but drilling did even more.

P.S. If someone can explain why the answer to LR1 question 12 is C i would be very grateful. I can't see it for the live of me. When I first saw answer choice "C" I thought it was an opposite answer. Let me know if anyone figures it out.

pt-45, LR1, Q12:

The argument claims that dioxin is unlikely to be the cause because 1) dioxin decomposes slowly, and 2) fish aren't affected for long when factory release of dioxin is cut.

Author was able to conclude so only because he assumed that dioxin hangs around for a long time in the water where fish live.

(C) disproves this assumption.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”