JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

objection_your_honor

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:01 am

I got a 179 and 175 this weekend, my highest weekend average so far. Still no 180s!

mqt

Postby mqt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:14 am

patfeeney wrote:In terms of taking prep tests, at what point is it okay to be a little lax with timing? Not as in the 35 minutes of the actual section, but in the amount of time between sections.
I only have one day in the week currently when I can take a full prep test in one sitting. Until that changes, I have other days where I can take a prep test, but perhaps with an hour sitting between one or two of the sections. I've taken somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 PTs so far, averaging about a 165.
Would it be damaging to do the practice tests in this broken-up manner, along with the full tests once a week, at least until I can fit two whole tests in every week, and still treat them like an actual PT, I.E. do all for sections before grading and correcting?
Or should I just continue with individual timed sections?

It fully depends on you. If you're unable to take more than one PT a week, so be it. It's certainly going to benefit you to do two sections at a time more than doing nothing. I's suggest finding time to do two full PTs a week, though. This is an insanely important test for your future, maybe you can make time to prepare for it?

ETA: I'd second the suggestion of drilling, but I'd hope you're already drilling, so taking two sections at a time would be another form of drilling, in my opinion.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:37 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
homie1515 wrote:anyone have any suggestions on how to review completed PTs?

1. Make an account at LSATqa.com
2. Enter your answers
3. Review answers, drill question types for which you did not select the credited answer
4. Profit

Additionally: If I don't get the answer right away, I usually number my choices.

For example, say I knew right away that A/C were wrong, they get a strikethrough.
Then I figure out B is wrong (#3)
Then I am deciding between D/E, I number them first choice and second choice, and underline the part that I think makes it the correct/incorrect answer.

Then when I am reviewing I go over my thought process as well as just picking "the right answer".

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 pm

griffin.811 wrote:LSATkid: start with test 19 and work your way down doing 4-6 passages a day. Allow 8:45 per passage and review the incorrect answers after each one. Once you are comfortable with this (you'll start to feel like you have control over the passage. You'll have time to refer back to the passage for certain questions, start holding the passage structure better etc...) move to 2 passages in 17min, then do an entire section in 35min. Thats what I've done maybe the last 3-4 weeks.

Don't over do it by trying to bang out as many passages as you can in one day. you really do need to space them out so you can let the review from each day settle with you before tackling more passages. You run the risk of running out of passages otherwise.

Lately I've been trying to treat RC like LG's, by this I mean trying to develop a repeatable process. We know more often than not they will give us a main point, and a "what is the function of this para" Fine, write the main idea/function after each parag. You'll develop this with time. 1-2 sentences in short hand (forces you to pinpoint the main idea and move on). Sentence may say "Auth supp stance of asian law reformers->Expands on support of last sect. parag 1." For detail questions you'll develop a memory for where things are discussed, but in the begining rely on those sentences to guide you.

Lastly, keep in mind the author's take on things. Get a feel for is he/she pos, neg, or neutral. Look for words that define the degree of these. "Could/May be helpful.."--> Author seems optimistic, but with reservation etc... Oh and anticipate. after something like "...could be helpful." You should expect to see a transition word like "But" followed by support for the other side of the argument which may be the author's stance. Also pay attention to the first paragraph. If it says "In her book xyz, Maria details the importance of sustaining both political and economic prowess in country M..." you should be looking for a paragraph on each in the coming lines. This should be followed by a question asking what is the purpose of paragr. 3. You should immediately be thinking "it expands on an idea presented in the first paragrapgh." Also the final paragraph of a passage like this may explain which of the 2 the author thinks is most prevalent, so pay attention!

RC is tough, just be patient. Also this isn't original, a lot of it I got from things I've read, mixed with personal experience.

@AB-->BA 2 reasons: 1. $ and 2. numbers get really tiring after a while (not that law wouldn't, but at least you should be able to retire early if you do things correctly.)

Yo Grif
I have heard this advice several times but really didn't pay attention till you mentioned it. Believe it or not its really helped me out in finding the author's tone. Any other pointers you would like to share?

Thank you so much man.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Went over my PT from yesterday and was disappointed to find out that over a dozen questions, maybe even closer to twenty, were down to the right answer choice and the choice I ultimately selected. I will be drilling a lot of Flaw LR questions as well as sharpening my sequencing/necessary and sufficient with respect to LR. It seems like these were the killers. If I had gotten even fifteen of the twenty that I missed over the course of the PT, I would have been at a 165+. It really bites that it came down to that. Only a few of the questions I went over were completely on the opposite spectrum. I will improve on this.

I'm going to drill a few games and that'll be it for today. RC tomorrow with some LR drills in the mix.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:29 pm

PT 55:

LR1: -2 (#20, 21)
RC: -1 (#27, OWW OWW OWWWWW!!)
LR2: -1 (#10)
LG: -0

Raw: 96 --> Scaled: 177

Back in the cool kids club after my disastrous PT 54. First LR was fairly tough (I went all the way to the buzzer reviewing my answers), but I only ended up missing two relatively easy ones due to misreading. RC felt tough, but actually turned out really well. No disaster passage, fortunately. LR2 felt really easy, I was completely done in ~27m. This was the first LG in a long time that made me sweat a bit. The 4th game was a curveball and took me a good 12-14m to get through.

Very happy with this. Will take PT56 on Friday. I am never seeing the 160's again, dammit.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Pattern games, especially PT 10 G 3, can suck it.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 55:

LR1: -2 (#20, 21)
RC: -1 (#27, OWW OWW OWWWWW!!)
LR2: -1 (#10)
LG: -0

Raw: 96 --> Scaled: 177

Back in the cool kids club after my disastrous PT 54. First LR was fairly tough (I went all the way to the buzzer reviewing my answers), but I only ended up missing two relatively easy ones due to misreading. RC felt tough, but actually turned out really well. No disaster passage, fortunately. LR2 felt really easy, I was completely done in ~27m. This was the first LG in a long time that made me sweat a bit. The 4th game was a curveball and took me a good 12-14m to get through.

Very happy with this. Will take PT56 on Friday. I am never seeing the 160's again, dammit.

Congrats! I've been stuck at 165, so I'm delaying my PT schedule for a few days to drill my weaknesses — LR, Nec. Assumption, Strengthen and Weaken, according to LSATQA. I'm set to take PT 62 on Thursday, and I know I will break into the 167-169 range!!

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:29 pm

How do most of you guys drill? What do you use

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:00 pm

MKX wrote:How do most of you guys drill? What do you use

Black & Decker

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:02 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:

Black & Decker

nice

MKX

Postby MKX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:12 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:

Black & Decker

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1427761/petesad.gif

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Hope the remaining guys are grinding hard. I know I said I'd be back later, but I'm getting bored during the week, so I'm looking for a challenge. As an update, I've basically mastered LR and LG. While I won't be posting anymore in the thread, it's distracting, I will PM a complete answer, quickly, to the sender for any and all questions, only if, I have already done the question in question and those questions are PM'd to me in one of the following fashions:

LR: PT#, S#, Q#
LG: PT#, S#, Q# (or for a game analysis, PT#, G#)
RC: PT#, S#, Q# (or for a passage breakdown, PT#, P#)

Hit me.

myoung7189

Postby myoung7189 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm

Long time lurker here... took pt today 41:
LR1 -3
LG -11
LR2 -3
RC -1
Raw 83; Scaled 165.
This is my first pt in about a month and a half. I have mainly been drilling at a slow monotonous pace and untimed. Ugggh on the LG I misread the rules on the first game and ended up wasting valuable making hypos and attempting to answer the first two questions. Luckily I caught it and somehow managed to get all the questions right on this particular game. I ended up freaking out on game 3 and simply guessed on the entire 4th game. Much improvement is needed. On the positive side I finished all the other sections with around 5 minutes to spare. Is this RC really easy or something? Because, I surprised the fuck out of myself. I'll take it untimed tomorrow and hopefully be on to another one on Wednesday.

Edit: Also took this at a coffee shop under strict time constraints. With only about a five minute break in between the section 2 and 3. I have many pt's to burn through and feel confident I can raise the fuck out of this score.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:43 pm

When is the best time to review the wrong answers i got when drilling LR? the same day? The next day? It doesnt matter? I ask because I havent been reviewing my wrong answers and i think that could be the reason why i did so poorly on my first PT. What does everyone here do to review wrong answers? Should i look up explanations (I have kaplans test explanations for 1-40) and try to understand why im getting them wrong? Or should i try to figure it out myself why each answer is wrong or right?
Last edited by mvonh001 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:38 pm

How would you all recommend studying for LR if you are unable to pay for the Cambridge LR bundle?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:26 am

ricekrispies wrote:How would you all recommend studying for LR if you are unable to pay for the Cambridge LR bundle?

Save up for them. If you have the tests I suppose you could put in the work hours to parse them out by type. Having narrowed down areas you think you need work on will help.

Remember they also sell individual question type packets for $7, so you don't need to buy the whole bundle if you know you're only struggling with certain types: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/problem-se ... reasoning/

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:30 am

mvonh001 wrote:When is the best time to review the wrong answers i got when drilling LR? the same day? The next day? It doesnt matter? I ask because I havent been reviewing my wrong answers and i think that could be the reason why i did so poorly on my first PT. What does everyone here do to review wrong answers? Should i look up explanations (I have kaplans test explanations for 1-40) and try to understand why im getting them wrong? Or should i try to figure it out myself why each answer is wrong or right?

Reviewing is the most important part. Doesn't matter too much when you do it, but it must be done if you want to see gains.

There is a lot written about this on the forum, but the gist of it is you need to be able to articulate exactly why the correct answer is correct, and why each incorrect answer is incorrect. You should spend the time to write out a few sentences for each answer choice.

Check YouTube for 7Sage's "Blind Review" method — many people here find it to be an immensely helpful review technique.
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:47 am

Daily_Double wrote:Hope the remaining guys are grinding hard. I know I said I'd be back later, but I'm getting bored during the week, so I'm looking for a challenge. As an update, I've basically mastered LR and LG. While I won't be posting anymore in the thread, it's distracting, I will PM a complete answer, quickly, to the sender for any and all questions, only if, I have already done the question in question and those questions are PM'd to me in one of the following fashions:

LR: PT#, S#, Q#
LG: PT#, S#, Q# (or for a game analysis, PT#, G#)
RC: PT#, S#, Q# (or for a passage breakdown, PT#, P#)

Hit me.

Gonna latch myself onto this one as well, in the bored with UG classes/done with LSAT camp. If any of you guys need help you can PM me as well.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:22 pm

That is definitely my problem I don't go over to review my questions after I'm done drilling them. I have to admit though that I am currently a bit burnt out by w drilling by type. I was thinking of just focusing on taking pts for the remaining 60 days and then reviewing the right and wrong answers the day after. How does that approach sound compared to drilling mercilessly? Mind you, after I take the pt and input it into lsatqa I would go over some questions of that type from my drilling packets. And after I take each pt I can review the answers with Kaplan explanations and from that learn why I got each lr wrong or right. Or do i need to figure out the questions I got wrong on my own before I look up explanations?

Also, I'm considering doing velocity any advice from that whole group of users on how much it will help my LR?

Thanks
Last edited by mvonh001 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:52 pm

PT 58, with some distractions in the office. 4 sections only, break after 3

LR1: -1 (#24)
RC: -3 (13, 21, 23)
LG: 0
LR2: -2 (10, 24)

95/101, 175 scaled

Pretty much what I was expecting for the RC and LG. Not sure about the errors on LR. Review time.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:57 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:How would you all recommend studying for LR if you are unable to pay for the Cambridge LR bundle?

Save up for them. If you have the tests I suppose you could put in the work hours to parse them out by type. Having narrowed down areas you think you need work on will help.

I believe there is a link in the 2nd post ITT with them broken down by Q type.

What, exactly, materials do you have?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:02 pm

mvonh001 wrote:That is definitely my problem I don't go over to review my questions after I'm done drilling them. I have to admit though that I am currently a bit burnt out by w drilling by type. I was thinking of just focusing on taking pts for the remaining 60 days and then reviewing the right and wrong answers the day after. How does that approach sound compared to drilling mercilessly? Mind you, after I take the pt and input it into lsatqa I would go over some questions of that type from my drilling packets. And after I take each pt I can review the answers with Kaplan explanations and from that learn why I got each lr wrong or right. Or do i need to figure out the questions I got wrong on my own before I look up explanations?

Also, I'm considering doing velocity any advice from that whole group of users on how much it will help my LR?

Thanks

Assuming problems with LR, I think if you are scoring 170+ drilling by type is no longer as useful and you can focus on reviewing PT errors. If you are regularly below that, or semi-regularly under 165, I think that demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of one or more processes, and you should continue to drill by type with the goal to fix that.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:That is definitely my problem I don't go over to review my questions after I'm done drilling them. I have to admit though that I am currently a bit burnt out by w drilling by type. I was thinking of just focusing on taking pts for the remaining 60 days and then reviewing the right and wrong answers the day after. How does that approach sound compared to drilling mercilessly? Mind you, after I take the pt and input it into lsatqa I would go over some questions of that type from my drilling packets. And after I take each pt I can review the answers with Kaplan explanations and from that learn why I got each lr wrong or right. Or do i need to figure out the questions I got wrong on my own before I look up explanations?

Thanks

Assuming problems with LR, I think if you are scoring 170+ drilling by type is no longer as useful and you can focus on reviewing PT errors. If you are regularly below that, or semi-regularly under 165, I think that demonstrates a fundamental misunderstanding of one or more processes, and you should continue to drill by type with the goal to fix that.

Disagree. Drilling by type is never a bad idea. Keeping track of your stuff on LsatQA, you can find which ones creep up most often and address them. You also need to find out if certain TYPES are holding you up, or if it's simply more difficult questions regardless of type.

jad0re

Postby jad0re » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Lsat sucks the life out of u
Last edited by jad0re on Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”