JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

itachiuchiha

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:47 pm

anyone else find preptest 44 difficult?

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:10 pm

haven't taken it yet. But the RC is 43 seems to be to be quite difficult, the 2nd passage about bilingualism is just hard to decipher, and the answer choices in the last passage have quite a bit of tricky answers. On the side note though, RC is becoming more and more of my fav sections lately. I actually find reading these passages quite entertaining.

MKX

Postby MKX » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:22 pm

Fianna13 wrote:haven't taken it yet. But the RC is 43 seems to be to be quite difficult, the 2nd passage about bilingualism is just hard to decipher, and the answer choices in the last passage have quite a bit of tricky answers. On the side note though, RC is becoming more and more of my fav sections lately. I actually find reading these passages quite entertaining.

I'm taking 43 on Tuesday. :mrgreen:

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:24 pm

MKX wrote:
Fianna13 wrote:haven't taken it yet. But the RC is 43 seems to be to be quite difficult, the 2nd passage about bilingualism is just hard to decipher, and the answer choices in the last passage have quite a bit of tricky answers. On the side note though, RC is becoming more and more of my fav sections lately. I actually find reading these passages quite entertaining.

I'm taking 43 on Tuesday. :mrgreen:

43 was one of my better ones. I got a 160
I'm not the average TLSer

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:02 pm

I'm pretty upset right now I just completed PT 46, my first timed diagnostic, and I got a 155. That's score is far too low to be truly indicative of my progress. I have been studying since end of February mainly logic games, but for the past three weeks I have focused almost exclusively on logical reasoning. On this pt the logic games were quite easy except game 4 which is where I got all of my wrong answers for that section. The reading comprehension section of this pt thoroughly fucked me and I got - 8. The logical reasoning portion of this exam also had its way with me giving me a cumulative score of - 18. This test has been very discouraging to me, but I shall continue to focus on logical reasoning and focus on reading comprehension as well as continue drilling logic games, hopefully this first PT diagnostic test that I've just taken was a fluke and the next will be substantially higher. Hopefully. Regardless of how I continue to progress, I will be taking the June LSAT with October being my backup date , if I do not successfully score 170+. Any tips that you guys can give me on improving my LR and RC score would be greatly appreciated and are definitely needed.

mqt

Postby mqt » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I'm pretty upset right now I just completed PT 46, my first timed diagnostic, and I got a 155. That's score is far too low to be truly indicative of my progress. I have been studying since end of February mainly logic games, but for the past three weeks I have focused almost exclusively on logical reasoning. On this pt the logic games were quite easy except game 4 which is where I got all of my wrong answers for that section. The reading comprehension section of this pt thoroughly fucked me and I got - 8. The logical reasoning portion of this exam also had its way with me giving me a cumulative score of - 18. This test has been very discouraging to me, but I shall continue to focus on logical reasoning and focus on reading comprehension as well as continue drilling logic games, hopefully this first PT diagnostic test that I've just taken was a fluke and the next will be substantially higher. Hopefully. Regardless of how I continue to progress, I will be taking the June LSAT with October being my backup date , if I do not successfully score 170+. Any tips that you guys can give me on improving my LR and RC score would be greatly appreciated and are definitely needed.

I personally feel that untimed PTs are practically useless. Drill sections or question types untimed, but PT with a timer.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:33 pm

anyone have any suggestions on how to review completed PTs?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:40 pm

homie1515 wrote:anyone have any suggestions on how to review completed PTs?

1. Make an account at LSATqa.com
2. Enter your answers
3. Review answers, drill question types for which you did not select the credited answer
4. Profit

MKX

Postby MKX » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:57 pm

I just did this yesterday and today actually. I took it timed. Then I took it untimed. Then I compared my answers and tried to figure out why I chose one over the other on separate tests (unless they were both wrong). Then I went and got the explanation book for the test and looked at my mistakes and why I made them, what I missed, how to not make that same mistake, etc. Lets see how much it helped because I will be PTing again in 2 days.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Guys feel like drilling burns me , better to do practice tests twice a week and review them fully ,but I am stuck in the 169-174 range,need to break that line ,high scorers anyones input will be appreciated.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:50 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

2. Enter your answers
3. Review answers, drill question types for which you did not select the credited answer
4. Profit

hey armed, how do you suggest we drill those? I mostly miss inference questions. And I've drilled those from 1-38 already. Should I go back and re-drill them?

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:28 pm

From here on out, it's five to six hours of studying a day from me. I just took a PT today and did below average (under 151) despite what I feel is above average time commitment to logic games.

I am going to basically divy up sections. One day just LG. One day just LR. One day just RC. I will take my next PT a week from Thursday and see if I can get over the hump. I missed some major inferences and ran out of time on both LR sections. But I feel confident still with two months to go. I just basically can't skip more than a day a week. Six days of studying at least five hours a day.

Would it be overkill to take 5 logic games sections tomorrow (35-min x 5)?
Last edited by 0913djp on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:38 pm

0913djp wrote:From here on out, it's five to six hours of studying a day from me. I just took a PT today and did below average (under 151) despite what I feel is above average time commitment to logic games.

I am going to basically divy up sections. One day just LG. One day just LR. One day just RC. I will take my next PT a week from Thursday and see if I can get over the hump. I missed some major inferences and ran out of time on both RC sections. But I feel confident still with two months to go. I just basically can't skip more than a day a week. Six days of studying at least five hours a day.

Time the games individually and just take them until your brain gets fried, sleep, repeat.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Fianna13 wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

2. Enter your answers
4. Profit

hey armed, how do you suggest we drill those? I mostly miss inference questions. And I've drilled those from 1-38 already. Should I go back and re-drill them?

Inference questions are difficult, the answers are often not predictable. You need to first look for wrong answer choices, before selecting the credited answer choice. Many incorrect answer choices will not match the stimulus. Many incorrect answer choices will not contain sound reasoning. Typically, by going through this thought process I will eliminate 2-3 answers. With the remaining answers, if there is a blank in the stimulus, I will fill in each answer choice and read the argument to myself. If there is no blank, I will actively seek out the main point of the argument. The main point of the argument will often match up with the credited answer. Lastly, you always want to be on the look out for any conditional logic within inference questions. Often, there is a fairly apparent conditional logic chain (especially true for must be true or most strongly supported) that narrows down the answer choices quickly.

HTH, feel free to ask any further questions.

ETA: To drill: Look at the problem you missed, explain to yourself why each incorrect answer choice is incorrect. Next, using evidence from the stimulus, explain to yourself why the credited answer choice is credited.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:46 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
0913djp wrote:From here on out, it's five to six hours of studying a day from me. I just took a PT today and did below average (under 151) despite what I feel is above average time commitment to logic games.

I am going to basically divy up sections. One day just LG. One day just LR. One day just RC. I will take my next PT a week from Thursday and see if I can get over the hump. I missed some major inferences and ran out of time on both RC sections. But I feel confident still with two months to go. I just basically can't skip more than a day a week. Six days of studying at least five hours a day.

Time the games individually and just take them until your brain gets fried, sleep, repeat.

I hear that. Right on, I'll do two sections, then do four eight minute games. I just want to crack 160 by month's end. Does that seem too far fetched considering I'm at 150?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:47 pm

I am going to basically divy up sections. One day just LG. One day just LR. One day just RC. I will take my next PT a week from Thursday and see if I can get over the hump. I missed some major inferences and ran out of time on both LR sections. But I feel confident still with two months to go. I just basically can't skip more than a day a week. Six days of studying at least five hours a day.

This reeks of a potential burnout. You need to spend more time evaluating why you are not selecting the credited answer choices. Usually, I am an advocate of repetition. However, with such a low score, I'd recommend dedicating time to rereading Manhattan to reinforce your basis of understanding. If you dedicate the proper amount of time to learning the fundamentals, your score will increase. This board is rife with anecdotes of people that started out at 150 and increased their scores way into the 175+ range.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:52 pm

I am going to look over RC this week with the Manhattan guide starting tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pick things up this week. It has certainly helped. Pacing is my biggest issue right now with the sections besides LG.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a little worried just with two months left and people on this board with a clear advantage of attaining 170 where I'm just looking to crack 160.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:54 pm

0913djp wrote:I am going to look over RC this week with the Manhattan guide starting tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pick things up this week. It has certainly helped. Pacing is my biggest issue right now with the sections besides LG.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm a little worried just with two months left and people on this board with a clear advantage of attaining 170 where I'm just looking to crack 160.

People on here are STRIVERS, brother. The board isn't called top-25% chance of employment-schools.com

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:57 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
0913djp wrote:I am going to look over RC this week with the Manhattan guide starting tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pick things up this week. It has certainly helped. Pacing is my biggest issue right now with the sections besides LG.

People on here are STRIVERS, brother. The board isn't called top-25% chance of employment-schools.com

Striving indeed. Strive on, striver.

On that note, I will report tomorrow if I find any issues with my drilling and RC.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:58 pm

0913djp wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

Striving indeed. Strive on, striver.

On that note, I will report tomorrow if I find any issues with my drilling and RC.

I am shitawful at RC. But, I will try to help you.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:28 am

0913djp wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

I hear that. Right on, I'll do two sections, then do four eight minute games. I just want to crack 160 by month's end. Does that seem too far fetched considering I'm at 150?

I don't think you should rigidly stick to structured sections yet. Just do a game, watch the video and review that game, take the game again and try to beat your time before moving to a new game. Some games are literally 5 minute games, so you don't want to give yourself the same amount of time on every game in a given section. Once you have a decent stack of individually completed games that could be assembled in any combination to make a 30-35 minute section, then focus on 4-game sections.

jmjm

Postby jmjm » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:55 am

A future test taker here. Running into the following confusing criteria for the credited response in PT-36 first RC passage.
Edit: Posted this issue in in the lsat prep forum.
Last edited by jmjm on Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:58 am

In terms of taking prep tests, at what point is it okay to be a little lax with timing? Not as in the 35 minutes of the actual section, but in the amount of time between sections.
I only have one day in the week currently when I can take a full prep test in one sitting. Until that changes, I have other days where I can take a prep test, but perhaps with an hour sitting between one or two of the sections. I've taken somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 PTs so far, averaging about a 165.
Would it be damaging to do the practice tests in this broken-up manner, along with the full tests once a week, at least until I can fit two whole tests in every week, and still treat them like an actual PT, I.E. do all for sections before grading and correcting?
Or should I just continue with individual timed sections?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:22 am

patfeeney wrote:In terms of taking prep tests, at what point is it okay to be a little lax with timing? Not as in the 35 minutes of the actual section, but in the amount of time between sections.
I only have one day in the week currently when I can take a full prep test in one sitting. Until that changes, I have other days where I can take a prep test, but perhaps with an hour sitting between one or two of the sections. I've taken somewhere in the vicinity of 10-15 PTs so far, averaging about a 165.
Would it be damaging to do the practice tests in this broken-up manner, along with the full tests once a week, at least until I can fit two whole tests in every week, and still treat them like an actual PT, I.E. do all for sections before grading and correcting?

I'd focus on drilling during the days which you are unable to take a full test.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:38 am

armedwithamind wrote:
patfeeney wrote:In terms of taking prep tests, at what point is it okay to be a little lax with timing? Not as in the 35 minutes of the actual section, but in the amount of time between sections.

I'd focus on drilling during the days which you are unable to take a full test.

Agreed. If you can't take a full (4 section, at least) test, drill instead.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”