JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

MKX

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby MKX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 pm

rebexness wrote:Nah bro, they are just estimates put out by the law schools. It depends on how they are worded, but they often base what kind of F.A eligibility you have off of these numbers.

That's good. Most of the numbers I saw included the "living" costs of about 20k+ and wouldn't show me numbers without it. Since I live in the Chicago suburbs there is no reason to spend an extra $60k+ to live there when i can drive there in about 45 minutes or take the train...assuming I get in.

Positive thoughts...positive thoughts...

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:26 pm

Off day today for me. Not touching the books one bit

going to focus on finishing some books I am currently reading, reviewing my journal to see what tendencies or behaviors are disrupting me when I was drilling this past week, and will finish my apps for some auditing internships.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:38 pm

weathercoins wrote:
lsatkid007 wrote:does anyone have days when nothing is clicking? i mean from rc to lg nothing was clicking today.

Totally. Don't let it get to you. When I experience that- and really feel off my game- I walk around, think if I did something different this time than usual- and eat something. Usually works.

It won't happen on test day. The adrenaline combined with being in a test center combined with eating right will take care of that possibility.

thanks man

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:59 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:Off day today for me. Not touching the books one bit

going to focus on finishing some books I am currently reading, reviewing my journal to see what tendencies or behaviors are disrupting me when I was drilling this past week, and will finish my apps for some auditing internships.

I thought you gave up on this forum... Don't get my hopes up just to shit on them like this anymore. It's not fair.

Anyway, I just completed PT 47 LR and ended up - 6 but I ram out of time for the last 2 so I ended up - 8. I realize that a lot of questions that I get wrong are ones where I second guess the right answer. Any tips for situations like that. Like characteristics of wrong answers that I can look for. Anyway, aside from that timed PT I decided to read chapters 3-6 from the lr book today and I'll continue drilling tomorrow with sufficient assumption.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:00 pm

homie1515 wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I really hate LR... I think im getting them all right, but when i check the 3' and 4's im like -4/10. How bad is that score really? I want to get -0/10, but that seems a bit unrealistic. How many 3/s and 4's are on each test?

Thanks.. Also, I have only read the beginning of the MLSAT LR book, should I dig into that before i continue studying my LR by drill packet?

I would THINK 10 1's, 7 2's, 5 3's, and 3 4's (maybe depending on the amount of questions obviously) Can anyone back up or shit on my assumption??

And as far as LR goes, I would think that anything in the -2 or -3/10 would be acceptable because then it really just is a crap shoot and hoping that you get good questions on the real exam. Also keep drilling if you havent finished the LR book, but finish it before you go to Timed PT's... AMIRITE??

Is this TCR? Anyone else fan chime in if possible would be great. Thanks

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Don't know what to tell you really — strive for -0. Any mistake indicates erroneous thinking.

There are probably 8-10+ questions on each LR section that would be considered difficulty level 3 or 4, according to Cambridge.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:21 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Don't know what to tell you really — strive for -0. Any mistake indicates erroneous thinking.

There are probably 8-10+ questions on each LR section that would be considered difficulty level 3 or 4, according to Cambridge.

Thanks for chiming in. Ya I know my thinking is erroneous. But when I'm thinking it I feel it's right. Idk how to explain it. When I review the questions I get wrong I come to the conclusion that I misread or the answer contained something different from the passage, but there has to be better ways to review wrong answers to get benefits from it. What kind of questions do you ask yourself for all the questions you get wrong?

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:35 pm

crazyrobin wrote::cry: :cry:
Haven't been posting for a while.
My RC is all over the place, from PT 9 to PT 15, -3, -4, -8,-9,-4,-8 and stunning -12.

RC can go and fuck itself. Ah..........

dude im in the same boat. so what's your plan?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:49 pm

mvonh001 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Don't know what to tell you really — strive for -0. Any mistake indicates erroneous thinking.

Thanks for chiming in. Ya I know my thinking is erroneous. But when I'm thinking it I feel it's right. Idk how to explain it. When I review the questions I get wrong I come to the conclusion that I misread or the answer contained something different from the passage, but there has to be better ways to review wrong answers to get benefits from it. What kind of questions do you ask yourself for all the questions you get wrong?

Some others can probably add a more detailed step-by-step, but I generally try to identify how I got it wrong. First, make sure you fully understand the argument structure in the stimulus. Second, make sure you understand how each answer choice relates to that structure. You should be able to write out, in 1-3 sentences, why each wrong answer is in fact wrong.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Just finished PT 55. Did only 4 sections, but used a bubble sheet and proctor app to strictly time. Have not reviewed mistakes yet.

LR1: -2 (#'s 6 and 8 ). Was surprised to see the errors coming so early in the section.

RC: -1 (#16). Had to guess on a few, but very happy with this RC, because like so many people, my scores are all over the place.

LR2: -1 (#22). Finished this section pretty early.

LG: 0. I thought LG was pretty easy other than the last game, which took me a while and I barely finished. Looking forward to discussing better strategies for a game like this.

96 raw/ 177 scaled. This was my best PT yet, but I'm still skeptical because I did have to guess on some that I got right, especially in RC. Also, obviously only a 4 section PT, so not getting my hopes up yet. Glad to see that the 172 threshold has been met or exceeded for the last 4-5 PT's. Back to work and then study tonight.

MKX

Postby MKX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm

What do you guys plan on doing if you don't get your desired score in June? Will you try for October LSAT? I'm a junior in undergrad currently and while I definitely DO NOT want to take it again after June, I also don't want to lose hope if I don't get my desired score in June. Would October be too late?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:04 pm

I am assuming I will be 2-3 points shy of whatever my ego will accept, and will shoot for a FIFTH lsat in October. Or, alternately, marry rich.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

MKX wrote:What do you guys plan on doing if you don't get your desired score in June? Will you try for October LSAT? I'm a junior in undergrad currently and while I definitely DO NOT want to take it again after June, I also don't want to lose hope if I don't get my desired score in June. Would October be too late?

Nothing wrong with taking in October (i'm leaving the possibility open, just to ease the stress of taking in June). With the admissions cycles we have been having lately, getting your apps in during November is not a big deal at all.

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:07 pm

MKX wrote:What do you guys plan on doing if you don't get your desired score in June? Will you try for October LSAT? I'm a junior in undergrad currently and while I definitely DO NOT want to take it again after June, I also don't want to lose hope if I don't get my desired score in June. Would October be too late?

Personally, I plan on retaking in October regardless of my June score (unless certain highly unlikely circumstances occur). However, it just makes sense in my case to take it twice since I got a waiver. Also, October isn't too late.

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm

rebexness wrote:Or, alternately, marry rich.

Only if it was that easy my friend...

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Eh, I've been studying for this too long with the expectation that I am done come June 10th at 4 PM. If I have some colossal problem (I'm sick, feeling awful about the test or a section and need to cancel, get a score way lower than I am expecting, etc.), then I'll do October. But really not trying to do that, and not sure if I have the motivation for 4 more months of study after June.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 pm

I think Im back in PT mode after focusing almost exclusively on RC for some time. last 3 sections have been -5,-6, and -4. Not the best, but it beats where I was before, and its consistent (so far). I think I'll spend tm after work, and sat reviewing LR (games should still be ok) and knock one of these PT's out Sunday. Looking for 165+, and praying LR didn't fall too much over the last few weeks.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:09 am

lsatkid007 wrote:
dude im in the same boat. so what's your plan?

My plan is to do every passage twice, (if you count blind review that will be three times)

Here are two suggestions I find very helpful. You may want to read it.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/pos ... 875#p21875

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/rc- ... f9502f4ccd

Both are posted by Patrick, one of Manhattan LSAT tutors, I like this two piece of advices.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:06 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:Off day today for me. Not touching the books one bit

why do you want to go to law center if you have a real degree in accounting

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:08 am

LSATkid: start with test 19 and work your way down doing 4-6 passages a day. Allow 8:45 per passage and review the incorrect answers after each one. Once you are comfortable with this (you'll start to feel like you have control over the passage. You'll have time to refer back to the passage for certain questions, start holding the passage structure better etc...) move to 2 passages in 17min, then do an entire section in 35min. Thats what I've done maybe the last 3-4 weeks.

Don't over do it by trying to bang out as many passages as you can in one day. you really do need to space them out so you can let the review from each day settle with you before tackling more passages. You run the risk of running out of passages otherwise.

Lately I've been trying to treat RC like LG's, by this I mean trying to develop a repeatable process. We know more often than not they will give us a main point, and a "what is the function of this para" Fine, write the main idea/function after each parag. You'll develop this with time. 1-2 sentences in short hand (forces you to pinpoint the main idea and move on). Sentence may say "Auth supp stance of asian law reformers->Expands on support of last sect. parag 1." For detail questions you'll develop a memory for where things are discussed, but in the begining rely on those sentences to guide you.

Lastly, keep in mind the author's take on things. Get a feel for is he/she pos, neg, or neutral. Look for words that define the degree of these. "Could/May be helpful.."--> Author seems optimistic, but with reservation etc... Oh and anticipate. after something like "...could be helpful." You should expect to see a transition word like "But" followed by support for the other side of the argument which may be the author's stance. Also pay attention to the first paragraph. If it says "In her book xyz, Maria details the importance of sustaining both political and economic prowess in country M..." you should be looking for a paragraph on each in the coming lines. This should be followed by a question asking what is the purpose of paragr. 3. You should immediately be thinking "it expands on an idea presented in the first paragrapgh." Also the final paragraph of a passage like this may explain which of the 2 the author thinks is most prevalent, so pay attention!

RC is tough, just be patient. Also this isn't original, a lot of it I got from things I've read, mixed with personal experience.

@AB-->BA 2 reasons: 1. $ and 2. numbers get really tiring after a while (not that law wouldn't, but at least you should be able to retire early if you do things correctly.)

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:10 pm

Not to plug the book, but the Blueprint Logic Games book is definitely a worthy investment for those who did not get it for free a few weeks back. They do the best job of explaining the games from front to back, easiest to most difficult.

That said, their techniques on timing are not that great since most of the games are to be done perfectly without the timing. But, if you dedicate a week to the book (three chapters or four chapters a day) and follow that by drilling the weakest sections, one can feel pretty confident once the PTing comes along.

I feel like I can get at most three wrong on four consecutive sections but we'll see. This is definitely my most improved section over the roughly four to five weeks that I've made an effort to study. Logic Reasoning is still by far the hardest for me. Gonna Manhattan LSAT that next week along with LG drilling.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:30 pm

During PT's, I don't usually find strengthen questions to be the hardest or most challenging. But according to LSATQA, it's by far my weakest section (23/31 in past 5 tests). Really glad I entered everything onto there, going to re-drill strengthen this weekend. Anybody else have trouble with these? Interestingly, parallel flaw- which take me the longest- seem to be okay with accuracy.

Seriously, LSATQA, guys. Get an account, if you don't have one yet.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:31 pm

Only tangentially related, but searching the #lsat tag on instagram can be quite amusing.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:34 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:During PT's, I don't usually find strengthen questions to be the hardest or most challenging. But according to LSATQA, it's by far my weakest section (23/31 in past 5 tests). Really glad I entered everything onto there, going to re-drill strengthen this weekend. Anybody else have trouble with these? Interestingly, parallel flaw- which take me the longest- seem to be okay with accuracy.

Seriously, LSATQA, guys. Get an account, if you don't have one yet.

Do you click "QTypes" on LSATQA to find out your weaknesses? I get an Application Error everytime I click that

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:41 pm

rebexness wrote:I believe there is a list on the first page of this thread (2nd post?) or maybe it is on the LSAT blog that breaks down games by type.

I have made lists of LG by type for:

19-38: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html
39-51.5: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/ls ... -list.html
52-64: http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/ne ... ation.html

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”