JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:24 am

MKX wrote:Hey guys. Plan on taking my LSAT in June (currently a Junior at undergrad). Have been studying since about February just going through the powerscore books learning the different methods. I haven't timed myself that much yet, but I do see the importance in it and will be starting that very soon.

I took a practice test (zero prep) in my fall semester of sophomore year and got a 148...that's really bad. I got my results back and my Logic Games I missed only 3 questions. I think on my RC I only got about 5 right. yes I know pathetic, but I have been working extremely hard on the RC. I've definitely improved. my LR questions were hit or miss. Got 10 wrong in one section, 15 in the other. I have to work on those as well. My adviser told me not to stress too much about that score since it was about 1.5 years ago and I did zero prep work for them.

Will definitely be checking into this thread from time to time. It's good motivation and I'm sure I'll benefit a ton from it.

Don't worry about your cold diagnostic. Take a timed PT to see how you do. If you aren't in the 160s I suggest postponing to October. Also, consider taking a gap year.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:35 pm

I want a 176 by October

Im studying 7 months for it. Working hard and paying lots of $$ to private tutors. Buying the best ones in my area. thick solid tight

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:53 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:I want a 176 by October

Im studying 7 months for it. Working hard and paying lots of $$ to private tutors. Buying the best ones in my area. thick solid tight

Good luck! But I'd caution against spending so much money for "the best" tutors (unless money really is no object). Just like with classes, you can probably self-study and do just as well than paying for private tutors or classes.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:54 pm

Tutors are, imho, completely unnecessary unless you have absolutely zero drive to study by yourself. And even then, if you can't study for the LSAT without one- how will you get through 3 years of Law School?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:55 pm

MKX wrote:Hey guys. Plan on taking my LSAT in June (currently a Junior at undergrad). Have been studying since about February just going through the powerscore books learning the different methods. I haven't timed myself that much yet, but I do see the importance in it and will be starting that very soon.

I took a practice test (zero prep) in my fall semester of sophomore year and got a 148...that's really bad. I got my results back and my Logic Games I missed only 3 questions. I think on my RC I only got about 5 right. yes I know pathetic, but I have been working extremely hard on the RC. I've definitely improved. my LR questions were hit or miss. Got 10 wrong in one section, 15 in the other. I have to work on those as well. My adviser told me not to stress too much about that score since it was about 1.5 years ago and I did zero prep work for them.

Will definitely be checking into this thread from time to time. It's good motivation and I'm sure I'll benefit a ton from it.

Welcome!!

Don't worry about the 148. I've seen so many people start at there or lower, and improve ridiculously. If you can invest enough time, you will be up where you want to be soon.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:59 pm

145 ---> 168

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:20 pm

rebexness wrote:Tutors are, imho, completely unnecessary unless you have absolutely zero drive to study by yourself. And even then, if you can't study for the LSAT without one- how will you get through 3 years of Law School?

sometimes you need a great teacher to go along with strong work ethic

look at all the professional athletes. Sure they work hard, but they also have great coaches and also great inner circle to support/push them to reach their maximum potential

I have the work ethic and I have the crowd ( you guys) but now I need a great teacher. I don't mind spending some $ to get some consultation . I am not 100% relying on the tutors to help me. They can help but if I want to achieve my goal it is up to me. They can help though with some concepts I struggle with ( diagramming formal logic, conditional reasoning, proper preparation)

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Agree with the sentiment that tutors are a waste of valuable money that could be spent towards other aspects of your prep. There's a ton of cost-effective resources at your disposal that you can use that would be just as effective, if not more, than having someone tutor you.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:31 pm

If you exhaust all the possible resources (the manhattan books, PS bibles, and TLS), then MAYBE I'd consider a course. And I'd go to a course with a reputable company (Shout out to the bros at Manhattan, here!) over any tutor, unless they can give you many references of people who made the kind of score jump you are looking at. The tutor's score matters (better be over 99th percentile) but at the end of the day, they have to be able to teach it, also.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:25 pm

if you dont have the self discipline to succeed with studying for the LSAT. GL with going to any reputable law school.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:41 pm

damn seems like this entire forum is against tier3-4 law schools, tutors, cooley, giving advice on study plans, and not retaking the lsat the following year

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:44 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:damn seems like this entire forum is against tier3-4 law schools, tutors, cooley, giving advice on study plans, and not retaking the lsat the following year

dont go to law school unless:
you get into a t14 or a regional school t25 with significant money and you're okay with not ever leaving that region

law is competitive bro, if you're not competitive you're better off picking a different profession

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:damn seems like this entire forum is against tier3-4 law schools, tutors, cooley, giving advice on study plans, and not retaking the lsat the following year

"Top-Law-Schools" is against low tier law schools in this job market?! Against tutors on our threads largely devoted to self-study?! Against... a low tier law school that hands out scholarships to anyone with an average LSAT score?! (Some people) don't like reading long study plans in the middle of threads?! Against people that want to accept a mediocre LSAT score?!

Shocking.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:49 pm

weathercoins wrote:

"Top-Law-Schools" is against low tier law schools in this job market?! Against tutors on our threads largely devoted to self-study?! Against... a low tier law school that hands out scholarships to anyone with an average LSAT score?! (Some people) don't like reading long study plans in the middle of threads?! Against people that want to accept a mediocre LSAT score?!

Shocking.

seriously...how's everyone's prep going ITT?

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Holy holy. I had been on a two week break before early last week. I am rusty. My grouping skills are terrible. I am getting deductions and setting up my diagram but find myself rushing on the last two or three questions of a game. It takes me about two minutes or three minutes to set up all my inferences in my diagram but the questions (considering a strong majority of grouping questions are conditional) make me eff up too easily.

Anyone got any suggestions on speeding up on grouping questions? It's taking me nine to ten minutes.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm

0913djp wrote:Holy holy. I had been on a two week break before early last week. I am rusty. My grouping skills are terrible. I am getting deductions and setting up my diagram but find myself rushing on the last two or three questions of a game. It takes me about two minutes or three minutes to set up all my inferences in my diagram but the questions (considering a strong majority of grouping questions are conditional) make me eff up too easily.

Anyone got any suggestions on speeding up on grouping questions? It's taking me nine to ten minutes.

can you give an example of something that gave you difficulty?

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I signed up for a Blueprint course, so I'm hoping that can provide some discipline. It's hard to focus for more than three to four hours. I am hoping with additional instruction, in the form of homework, I can add more time to my studies. I really hope to be PTing twice a week around this time next month. I need it desperately if I want to score a 165, which is what I am aiming for.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:55 pm

LOL.

This is probably the largest LSAT study thread I've ever seen on TLS. And we are still a ways out from D-Day.

The reason you may be unsatisfied with our responses is because you keep repeating the same questions and you AREN'T EVEN TAKING JUNE. This group is in a whole different place than you are. Not numbers-wise, necessarily.

If you have questions on a specific question, feel FREE to ask them here and we can answer. But don't inundate us with stuff that isn't even applicable to anyone else.

The Oct thread won't get active if people skip it to post in this one.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:56 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
0913djp wrote:Holy holy. I had been on a two week break before early last week. I am rusty. My grouping skills are terrible. I am getting deductions and setting up my diagram but find myself rushing on the last two or three questions of a game. It takes me about two minutes or three minutes to set up all my inferences in my diagram but the questions (considering a strong majority of grouping questions are conditional) make me eff up too easily.

can you give an example of something that gave you difficulty?

I specifically just started reading the Blueprint Logic Games book liberally last Tuesday, which I should be done by this Friday, and the game they use in their chapter on games with "Two groups" is from Practice Test 13, Logic Game #1.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:56 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

dont go to law school unless:
you get into a t14 or a regional school t25 with significant money and you're okay with not ever leaving that region

law is competitive bro, if you're not competitive you're better off picking a different profession

was an accounting major before with F100 experience. im not some typical liberal arts major that gets an easy major so they can ace their classes to qualify for law
I bet thats where most of these disgruntled students are. Some "football" major who aced their sociology courses and went to law school with dollar signs. Then ended up with a short term contract job.

I understand how competitive it is thats why I am aiming for the schools with the best reputation ( in the local area)

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm

I just finished the grouping packets, so I'll chime in.

IMHO-
I don't really bother setting up inferences on conditionals. I write them down and "learn" them, but that's it.
Also, if you haven't seen them, check out the 7sage videos of LG explanations. I found them super helpful (and plug the hell out of them!) when I just can't figure out a setup.

Plus, the speed does come with time. My first few were quite slow (10+) but now I am usually under 7 for most grouping games.

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:04 pm

rebexness wrote:

I just finished the grouping packets, so I'll chime in.

IMHO-
I don't really bother setting up inferences on conditionals. I write them down and "learn" them, but that's it.
Also, if you haven't seen them, check out the 7sage videos of LG explanations. I found them super helpful (and plug the hell out of them!) when I just can't figure out a setup.

Plus, the speed does come with time. My first few were quite slow (10+) but now I am usually under 7 for most grouping games.

Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll watch the Blueprint explanation and the 7Sage whenever I struggle with these questions.

Are there a set of games you recommend me drilling for the next few days? I have to get back to drilling on Sunday. I have been solely doing the Blueprint book chapter by chapter and the MLSAT Reading Comprehension book chapter by chapter with an hour each day of reading The Economist, The New Yorker, or The Atlantic.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 pm

0913djp wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I guess I'll watch the Blueprint explanation and the 7Sage whenever I struggle with these questions.

Are there a set of games you recommend me drilling for the next few days? I have to get back to drilling on Sunday. I have been solely doing the Blueprint book chapter by chapter and the MLSAT Reading Comprehension book chapter by chapter with an hour each day of reading The Economist, The New Yorker, or The Atlantic.

I believe there is a list on the first page of this thread (2nd post?) or maybe it is on the LSAT blog that breaks down games by type. I recommend working through EVERY LG from 1-38 by grouping type (I think Cambridge or MLSAT does this). Save the newer games to be "new" during PTs.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:41 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
was an accounting major before with F100 experience. im not some typical liberal arts major that gets an easy major so they can ace their classes to qualify for law
I bet thats where most of these disgruntled students are. Some "football" major who aced their sociology courses and went to law school with dollar signs. Then ended up with a short term contract job.

I understand how competitive it is thats why I am aiming for the schools with the best reputation ( in the local area)

Dude, every time I check this thread you get more annoying. I'm just going to save you from posting in the future. Here are the basic "group think" talking points. Don't bother to ask a question if you see an applicable answer below:

*TTTs suck
*Regional schools are okay if you don't want to leave and get $$$
*Everyone is capable of getting 170+
*Self-study is the best and most cost effective way to study for the LSAT
*Powerscore and Manhattan bibles are credited
*Cambridge bundles are credited
*Kaplan and Princeton are TTT
*After you have the basics down, do a ton of PTs (25+) and review them thoroughly
*If you have a specific question about a specific PT question ask it here

I really have no idea why you struggle so hard, hopefully this helps.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 pm

deputydog wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:

Dude, every time I check this thread you get more annoying. I'm just going to save you from posting in the future. Here are the basic "group think" talking points. Don't bother to ask a question if you see an applicable answer below:

*TTTs suck
*Regional schools are okay if you don't want to leave and get $$$
*Everyone is capable of getting 170+
*Self-study is the best and most cost effective way to study for the LSAT
*Powerscore and Manhattan bibles are credited
*Cambridge bundles are credited
*Kaplan and Princeton are TTT
*After you have the basics down, do a ton of PTs (25+) and review them thoroughly
*If you have a specific question about a specific PT question ask it here

intredasting

Cost isn't an issue for me. I have said this numerous times now. Its my last chance at this test. I already took an additional year off, and I DO NOT PLAN TO TAKE ANYMORE

im willing to spend as much $ as possible to learn from the best . Whether it be blueprint tutors or independent tutors. It does not matter. I need to maximize my score . I only post in here because this thread is active, the rest are not.

im starting to get disappointed at this whole website
everyone rags on Tier 3's like they are all bad which isn't necessarily true.
Most of the people here get really annoying and are just plain NAIVE.

I guess I would be too if I had a joke major where law was my only career option.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”