JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

arcanecircle

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby arcanecircle » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm

This one got me a point off on one of the LG sections, so its worth drilling

If Y is not chosen, then X must be chosen. (Should be easy to deduce what has to be in/out for this)

If Y is not chosen, then A or B, but not both, must be chosen. (Determine what has to be in/out for this, it gets a bit lengthier)

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 pm

Ambitious1 wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Welcome!

To start with your question- I start with 1, and if I find those really simple, I move on to 3 or 4. If I find difficulty with 1, I'll try to do all the levels.

I also do this based on PT's. I would highly recommend getting an account (it's free) on LSATQA.com- then you can enter your PT results and it will tell you where your weaknesses are. Mine are the tough NA questions and some strengthen, so I spend more time drilling those than others. I think it really depends on the section- some would be a waste of time to drill so much, especially given the limited amount of time we have until June 10.

Regarding the 159, were you scoring significantly better on PT's? Did you leave the test thinking you had done well, or did you know there were problems? Could it be you misbubbled?

Thanks for your post :)

Leading up to the February exam, I was PTing anywhere between 161 and 167. On the real thing, I had LR (26) RC LR (25) LR (26) and LG. I had to bubble in guesses on the last 5 in the first LR, 2 in the 2nd LR, and 4 on the last LR. I bubbled in guesses on the entire last RC passage. I just completely choked on LR.

I also never reviewed my RC passages much before the February exam. I would simply take a PT, accept my minus 7 on RC, and take it as a loss and only focus on LR/LG. In retrospect, obviously a very terrible decision. I really hope to get better at RC and before I move on to full sections I want to focus on individual passages, particularly science and humanities. LR, I used Manhattan's 2nd edition but only up to chapter 5. This time, I can't wait to finish the whole thing.

You got this! I felt similarly about RC. I have sort of accepted that I may not perfect RC on the test- but if I can be confident in -3 or -4 worst case, I can still hit my goals because the other sections are stronger and more learnable.

pdo

Postby pdo » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm

Long time lurker on TLS, and now 1st time posting. I have been studying to sit and write the June lsat and have been having some difficulty making noticeable progress on the LR sections. I am hoping to find a possible study group/individual for the remaining two months. I have been using Steve Schwartzs' 5 month study plan from the lsatblog. I also have the LRB and LGB from Powerscore as well as the flash cards. Currently I am scoring in the upper 150's on a good day (157,158) and am trying to get to the upper 160's (166+). I tend to miss <5 on RC, usually about 3- 6 on LG (due to time constraint but making progress), and 9-12 on LR...LR is my weakness...after three months of studying I feel like I have made zero progress on LR. I am in Humboldt but would be willing to travel as far as San Fran to find a good study group. If your interested, or have any suggestions that would help me out, please let me know.

TIA,

D.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:18 pm

PT 61:

RC: -1 (#11) Felt really good on this one. The comparative passage with the "cognition" stuff was tricky, though. Feel like Manhattan RC has helped a lot.
LR1: -1 (#9) I suck at getting past 50/50 on Main Point questions.
LG: -0 Like most of the more recent LG sections, a complete cakewalk.
LR2: -3 (#5, 10, 22) Two really stupid "Most Supported" questions, and I mixed up the premise and conclusion on a Method Q.

Raw: 96 --> Scaled: 177

New PR, so I have to be happy. I did feel like I got lucky on a couple tricky parallel reasoning questions. This is the first time in a long while that I have run up against the clock on an LR section, though. Maybe these were just extra tough (given how easy LG and RC were, it's very possible).

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:23 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:PT 61:

RC: -1 (#11) Felt really good on this one. The comparative passage with the "cognition" stuff was tricky, though. Feel like Manhattan RC has helped a lot.
LR2: -3 (#5, 10, 22) Two really stupid "Most Supported" questions, and I mixed up the premise and conclusion on a Method Q.

New PR, so I have to be happy. I did feel like I got lucky on a couple tricky parallel reasoning questions. This is the first time in a long while that I have run up against the clock on an LR section, though. Maybe these were just extra tough (given how easy LG and RC were, it's very possible).

Good job. congrats on the PR (I've never hear that term outside of weightlifting forums lol - but it is equally invigorating, if not more so, when done with the LSAT)

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:36 pm

I've been reading the 2nd chapter of Manhattan now for almost 3 hours. Lot of good info and drills in this book. Was originally planning on reading both Manhattan and Powerscore but it would take too long. Tomorrow I will read LGB. Learning some good stuff today. Documenting all my notations I am developing, inferences to recognize in front load, and my thought processes on what this book is putting forth

great buy so far

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:54 pm

good job
im jealous now. That is above my target score of 176. Hope you divulge your secrets of how you got there and that you are happy with it and not upset/hating the world for getting that score.

Postby 052220151 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Goddamn man! Congrats! I hope to join you on the north side of 175 soon! I bet it feels good. Most supported questions get me often too. Those and parallel and strengthen are the ones I need to drill the most.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:20 pm

Thanks for the support, guys. I'm afraid there is no trick to it, just a ****-ton of drilling. I've now done every LG from tests 1-40 at least twice, all of LR 1-20, and am just starting LR 21-40. It's exhausting, but it's been paying great dividends lately.

I'm hoping I'm out of the 160s for good; that's 5-straight over 170.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:38 pm

Nice, congrats dude! That's an awesome score and something to be proud of. Keep it up. Also hope to join you in 175+ ville sometime soon.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:40 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Thanks for the support, guys. I'm afraid there is no trick to it, just a ****-ton of drilling. I've now done every LG from tests 1-40 at least twice, all of LR 1-20, and am just starting LR 21-40. It's exhausting, but it's been paying great dividends lately.

I'm hoping I'm out of the 160s for good; that's 5-straight over 170.

drilling untimed or timed? And if Timed are you trying to keep it under the average time that is expected? ie doing one game under 8 min 45 seconds or trying to do 15 LR under 15 minutes?

How much you try to drill per day? 25 LR problems a day? 8 LG a day? Just want to get a sense of exactly how much drilling u did , because that score u got is pretty damn impressive... I don't know anyone I went to school with that got that type of score, and they were pretty smart kids too.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:13 am

congrats bro! having the -0 in your pocket on LG going into the test is a big boost!

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Back to the official grind after an unscheduled weekend of NONproductivity.

Today I'm going to review PT 39 LR 2 and PT 40 (all). Do LG from PT 1.

Then tonight after work is PT 41 (4 section, timed).

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm

I just got the self control app and it's awesome.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Day 2 of my prep today lads
at the city library today

Going to continue and try to finish chapter 2 in Manhattan today. I have been notating in Word all my thoughts and responses. I also drilled 2 games yesterday. Today I plan on drilling perhaps 4-5 games. The new Manhattan guide is well worth the $$$. World class strategy guide thus far. I am trying to be a sponge and soak up as much info as possible.

I am also notating my thoughts on each drill, what slowed me down and what I plan to do about it
So far what I have noticed that slowed me down/caused confusion was my penmanship. I am using a blunt #2 pencil ( not sharpened )

When I was writing on the paper I drew one of the variables very sloppy and it caused me to get mixed up/confused
furthermore I also misread a question and accidentally crossed out the correct answer. Luckily, I realized this and changed answers but that mistake still caused me to slow down. Sometimes its best to just draw out the situations rather than rely on the dual option aka the (G/B B/G) on the diagrams. I tried to do it mentally when the Q asked me if such and such is in such positions how many possibilities are there. I did it mentally and got it wrong. If I drew it out fully I would quickly realize the correct answer.

so lessons to take away from day 1 are
focus on penmanship
focus on clear drawings
focus on reading questions better/not misreading
focus on drawing out situation rather than doing it mentally.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:10 pm

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:I just got the self control app and it's awesome.

I need this for my cell phone so I stop fb/tc/texting/anythingandeverything

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm

hey guys
how many questions do you drill per sitting? do you guys finish the entire cambridge bundle before moving to the next question type?

thanks

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:22 pm

When am drilling to test accuracy, I do 15 or so questions in a row.
When working on timing also, I tend to do about 25 (ie the amount in a real section).

I drill entire packets by type.

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:23 pm

rebexness wrote:When am drilling to test accuracy, I do 15 or so questions in a row.
When working on timing also, I tend to do about 25 (ie the amount in a real section).

thank you rebexness

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:31 pm

rebexness wrote:When am drilling to test accuracy, I do 15 or so questions in a row.

Thats great, but what do you do when you finish a packet and still are getting -3 or -4/10 wrong? Im having a hell of a time with NA, I get all of the 1's and most of the 2's (-3/10), but my 3's where pathetic i think (-5/10), and my 4's where abysmal ( -8/12). I have just started to read the MLSAT LR book, but with only a very brief seciton on NA i don't see it as being so helpful. Any advice?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:26 pm

rebexness wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:I just got the self control app and it's awesome.

I need this for my cell phone so I stop fb/tc/texting/anythingandeverything

Yeah, I have the app running and I'm posting on an ipad. Just slows me down.

MKX

Postby MKX » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Hey guys. Plan on taking my LSAT in June (currently a Junior at undergrad). Have been studying since about February just going through the powerscore books learning the different methods. I haven't timed myself that much yet, but I do see the importance in it and will be starting that very soon.

I took a practice test (zero prep) in my fall semester of sophomore year and got a 148...that's really bad. I got my results back and my Logic Games I missed only 3 questions. I think on my RC I only got about 5 right. yes I know pathetic, but I have been working extremely hard on the RC. I've definitely improved. my LR questions were hit or miss. Got 10 wrong in one section, 15 in the other. I have to work on those as well. My adviser told me not to stress too much about that score since it was about 1.5 years ago and I did zero prep work for them.

Will definitely be checking into this thread from time to time. It's good motivation and I'm sure I'll benefit a ton from it.

ready4180

Postby ready4180 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:23 pm

Anyone know where to find an explanation for PT3-S1-G4? I only see game 3 on 7Sage's website. Much appreciated!

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 am

its so great to see how everyone's motivated here :) my real life is a mess. and im so tired of humans LOL

keep drilling guys!!! we can do this! (reading your posts makes me feel like life is worth living...some people in my life are just full of shit drama...no good for what i have planned for myself)

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 am

It's sort of painful to do mapping games when you haven't gotten that far in the LRB. On the other hand, back to the books! PTs aren't everything!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”