JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

mvonh001

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:02 pm

weathercoins wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I'm confused as all hell. I just did the first 40 questions of LR Necessary Assumption level 1 and got -1. Good job, right? lol

Anyway, the next day i attempted to do the same thing with the first 40 level 2, but i ended up with -9. All of them being on tests 1-9. on the following tests of 9 - 18 i only got -1... What should i do. I plan on completing the rest of level 1's tomorrow and level 2's the following day. And i will probably go over some level 3's some time next week if I dont see a big improvement on the other level 2's... I have read that the LR from early tests is more difficult because the wording is a bit archaic, ANy thoughts?

Have you read the LRB? For me, I had a similar experience with level 1, but then I did levels 3 and 4, and did pretty terrible. I read the LRB (it's a short section) and that helped a good amount.

I think the easy ones (level 1) are just common sense, so it's almost a false sense of security. When I was done level 1, I was sure that I had this section down.

Ya i agree with that sense of security thing... But I have to attribute my mistakes to the PT# because after PT8, I fly through them with no errors. Well, not really fly through them, some of them i have a little to think about. But aside from the very seldom brain fart I get them all right. Im going to finish up my level 2's (foregoing the rest of 1's because I think I got those down) and then Ill try some of the level 3's. But I want to only do pre-PT30 questions so Ill focus on PT10-29 (instead of those 1's). How does that sound?

Which chapter of the MLSAT LR book should i go over to help solidify these necessary assumption questions (and sufficient assumption because that it was im going on to next)? I have trouble setting up which Cambridge sections to do after which chapters... Thanks

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 pm

so what u guys think of my plan and the additional thoughts?

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:18 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:so what u guys think of my plan and the additional thoughts?

I think you should stop coming off as a needy little bitch... but thats just me.

We will get to your post when we feel like it. I havent had the time to read it all, nor do i really want to. But essentially bumping a post is kinda ridiculous considering it has been up for a staggering... 4 HOURS.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 pm

homie1515 wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:so what u guys think of my plan and the additional thoughts?

I think you should stop coming off as a needy little bitch... but thats just me.

We will get to your post when we feel like it. I havent had the time to read it all, nor do i really want to. But essentially bumping a post is kinda ridiculous considering it has been up for a staggering... 4 HOURS.

well thats your opinion

plus I asked the other day if it was okay to post, and that said yea.

The only reason I am bumping is because a.) no one else really to go to
b.) just a harmless damn bump. I am not PMing everyone here to remind them
Im not making 5-10 successive messages bumping

relax kiddo and get back to the books.. and be optimistic/happy

Megstew

Postby Megstew » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:46 pm

homie1515 wrote:I think you should stop coming off as a needy little bitch... but thats just me.

I have to agree with this, I get these threads are for people to be helping each other prepare but you really seem to be more demanding than contributing.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Megstew wrote:
homie1515 wrote:I think you should stop coming off as a needy little bitch... but thats just me.

I have to agree with this, I get these threads are for people to be helping each other prepare but you really seem to be more demanding than contributing.

And demanding from a community that you openly chastised not too long ago.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:17 pm

For what it's worth, a tutor with a 172 sounds like mostly a waste of money. Not that a 172 isn't a good score, but it doesn't demonstrate absolute expertise.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:For what it's worth, a tutor with a 172 sounds like mostly a waste of money. Not that a 172 isn't a good score, but it doesn't demonstrate absolute expertise.

well he got into UCLA, graduated, has worked for test prep companies, wrote test prep books, and has tutorted a lot of students. I have seen the testimonials.

I haven't started studying yet. I got a 152 but that was because of poor preparation . This third and last time around I plan on hitting a home run and working my ass off.

I promise I will help you guys but right now based off my score and ability... I really shouldn't be giving you guys advice yet. If I had others to talk to I would ask them in person, unfortunately I do not. You guys are all I have.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:For what it's worth, a tutor with a 172 sounds like mostly a waste of money. Not that a 172 isn't a good score, but it doesn't demonstrate absolute expertise.

well he got into UCLA, graduated, has worked for test prep companies, wrote test prep books, and has tutorted a lot of students. I have seen the testimonials.

I haven't started studying yet. I got a 152 but that was because of poor preparation . This third and last time around I plan on hitting a home run and working my ass off.

I promise I will help you guys but right now based off my score and ability... I really shouldn't be giving you guys advice yet. If I had others to talk to I would ask them in person, unfortunately I do not. You guys are all I have.

Then why are you running your test prep schedule by us? And when someone gives you advice it would be better to just say thanks, as opposed to listing off this guys credentials and just reinforcing my opinion that you are a needy *know it all* bitch...

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 pm

homie1515 wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:

Then why are you running your test prep schedule by us? And when someone gives you advice it would be better to just say thanks, as opposed to listing off this guys credentials and just reinforcing my opinion that you are a needy *know it all* bitch...

um not really too sure how you are interpreting my statements but in no way am I acting a know it all. There is a reason why I post here so much, its because I do not know it all. And Im not defending the tutor at all Im just giving my reasoning behind why I might employ him.

I am running my test prep schedule because I would like some feedback. I do not know if my schedule is good and I do not know if the way I am going about this 3rd and last attempt is the right or most effective way to prep. I want to seek feedback before I start my prep next week

it may have been a better idea to just create a new thread than to post it here if I am going to get this type of feedback.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 pm

since when did this thread became middle school girl locker room? stop with the drama. As for your schedule, it looks pretty detailed. so go whatever fits your life. we are here to help each other with techniques and analysis, not so much with study schedules. Plus, if you just search around the forum, there are plenty of retake schedules.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:23 pm

ITT - someone that graduated from UCLA is considered preftigious

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:33 pm

you are still with us for June, armed? :o

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:30 am

Fianna13 wrote:you are still with us for June, armed? :o

nah after some inspection of LSN, i've decided to roll with what i've got for this upcoming cycle instead of gunning for the 180.

Squintz805

Postby Squintz805 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:38 am

Fianna13 wrote:since when did this thread became middle school girl locker room? stop with the drama. As for your schedule, it looks pretty detailed. so go whatever fits your life. we are here to help each other with techniques and analysis, not so much with study schedules. Plus, if you just search around the forum, there are plenty of retake schedules.

When A.Taarabt7 came

ljone85

Postby ljone85 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:04 pm

Thank you , folks ....

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:10 pm

Whats up everyone... Just checking in with the latest I have:

PT 42 LG = -3
PT 43 LG = -1 (O yea... I'm getting there alright)
PT 25 RC = - 9 (I ran out of time but still would have had a -8 had i completed it in time)
PT 22 RC = -5 (Ran out of time for last question, would have gotten a -5)

I seem to have the most trouble with Generalization/Principle, Function/Role, and Structure (according to LSATQA - which, side note here, is fucking phenomenal). How do you recommend I focus on these types of questions? I have MLSAT LR and RC books, i could look over the LR chapter on main point i think, but idk how effective that would be. Any help is greatly needed/appreciated.

What the hell do i do about my RC? I have the MLSAT RC book, but i havent read past part 1. Do you recommend i look over that book before i do anymore PT's? I have 2 PT section RC scheduled for sometime later this week, I should read the RC book before completing them right?

thanks

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:41 pm

180 on a PT is finally starting to seem attainable. I took PT 44 today. 94 raw/174 scaled. -4 on RC, I'm starting to see more consistency but its still not there. -2 LR total, both were reading errors, and I finished both, well before the buzzer. -0 LG, finished before the five minute mark. With two months to go, I am confident that this time I will break 170.

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:44 pm

mvonh001 wrote:Whats up everyone... Just checking in with the latest I have:

PT 42 LG = -3
PT 25 RC = - 9 (I ran out of time but still would have had a -8 had i completed it in time)

I seem to have the most trouble with Generalization/Principle, Function/Role, and Structure (according to LSATQA - which, side note here, is fucking phenomenal). How do you recommend I focus on these types of questions? I have MLSAT LR and RC books, i could look over the LR chapter on main point i think, but idk how effective that would be. Any help is greatly needed/appreciated.

What the hell do i do about my RC? I have the MLSAT RC book, but i havent read past part 1. Do you recommend i look over that book before i do anymore PT's? I have 2 PT section RC scheduled for sometime later this week, I should read the RC book before completing them right?

thanks

Did you miss a question on the artists' painting game? That game was a bit tricky, and the wording on some of the questions seemed funky/ambiguous. The student newspaper review game was also in this vein sort of.
Last edited by 052220151 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 pm

A.Taarabt7 wrote:um not really too sure how you are interpreting my statements but in no way am I acting a know it all. There is a reason why I post here so much, its because I do not know it all. And Im not defending the tutor at all Im just giving my reasoning behind why I might employ him.

I am running my test prep schedule because I would like some feedback. I do not know if my schedule is good and I do not know if the way I am going about this 3rd and last attempt is the right or most effective way to prep. I want to seek feedback before I start my prep next week

it may have been a better idea to just create a new thread than to post it here if I am going to get this type of feedback.

People here are generally helpful and easy to get along with. Remember that you have to be aware of others' perception. Although you may think you're not coming off as a 'know-it-all', someone else might think so. You also are coming across as impatient. Just relax, keep your questions more succinct, and don't flip out when someone doesn't answer right away. Also, you catch more bees with honey than vinegar.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:53 pm

deputydog wrote:180 on a PT is finally starting to seem attainable. I took PT 44 today. 94 raw/174 scaled. -4 on RC, I'm starting to see more consistency but its still not there. -2 LR total, both were reading errors, and I finished both, well before the buzzer. -0 LG, finished before the five minute mark. With two months to go, I am confident that this time I will break 170.

Congrats Deputy! I'm in a similar boat- PT's are inconsistent by section (some RC's aren't bad, some are awful, etc.), but scores are starting to get consistent in the 172-175 band or so, with a few exceptions in either direction. Definitely helping with confidence.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 pm

deputydog wrote:180 on a PT is finally starting to seem attainable. I took PT 44 today. 94 raw/174 scaled. -4 on RC, I'm starting to see more consistency but its still not there. -2 LR total, both were reading errors, and I finished both, well before the buzzer. -0 LG, finished before the five minute mark. With two months to go, I am confident that this time I will break 170.

good shit bro. if you get LG to -0 it puts you in a magnificent spot to get that 170.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Nice work! Keep grinding with RC and you're good. Big week coming up, I'm spending a lot of it in the library and weight room; I feel like the time to put prep into that next gear starts with this week. Let's Go

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

good shit bro. if you get LG to -0 it puts you in a magnificent spot to get that 170.

I always get -0 on LG. My problem is with RC, which seems to be the same issue with Weathercoins and Cardozo. Thanks for the love, bros. I'm going to ramp up RC drilling and LR target drilling (parallel, strengthen).

What are you guys' plan of action?

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 pm

deputydog wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:Whats up everyone... Just checking in with the latest I have:

PT 42 LG = -3

thanks

Did you miss a question on the artists' painting game? That game was a bit tricky, and the wording on some of the questions seemed funky/ambiguous. The student newspaper review game was also in this vein sort of.

Ya I did too. And it was the first Passage... :(

How did you improve your RC? just by taking timed sections? I need to work on question type. Is the RC book helpful for that?
Last edited by homie1515 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”