JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm just throwing it out there. I assume getting caught would keep me out of any decent law school. And one or two points is obviously not worth the risk.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:52 pm

What do you guys think about filling in a bubble of a question (or two) you missed in an earlier section because time ran out? Regardless of whether you remembered that specific question or not. Just curious.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:56 pm

warandpeace wrote:hey everyone, what seems to be the general consensus on improving time? drilling? because i've been finally taking PTs, and it seems like my score drops every time, but mostly because i'm omitting an average of 7 or more questions a section. but i'm actually missing less questions.

so...drilling?

If you've gone through the guides already, then drilling is definitely what you should be doing. After doing all of the problems from PTs 1-40, I took my LG from missing 3-6 per to missing 0 pretty much every time. Prior to drilling my LR was -6-10 per. After going through LR from PTs 1-20, I dropped down to -2-4. Then I took a couple weeks off from drilling LR, and my missed question totals started to float back up again.

It's not fun, and it takes an eternity, but it's what you've gotta do if you want to be T6 ballin'

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:What do you guys think about filling in a bubble of a question (or two) you missed in an earlier section because time ran out? Regardless of whether you remembered that specific question or not. Just curious.

I think you'd be silly not to. 0% chance vs. 20% chance.

homie1515

Postby homie1515 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:09 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:What do you guys think about filling in a bubble of a question (or two) you missed in an earlier section because time ran out? Regardless of whether you remembered that specific question or not. Just curious.

I think you'd be silly not to. 0% chance vs. 20% chance.

+1, and potentially even more of a chance if you narrowed down your answer.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:11 pm

Again with the against the rules.

kmc

Postby kmc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:25 pm

rebexness wrote:Again with the against the rules.

+1

getting caught is just not worth it. if you don't see the proctor behind you and they see you bubble in the wrong section... bad news bears.

and you're expending the energy and time looking around for the proctor (which makes you look suspicious) and worrying about getting caught...

isn't it easier to work like hell to lower your times so you can comfortably assume a couple of minutes to fix issues?

Otunga

Postby Otunga » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:49 pm

Anybody else initially have trouble with (Ch. 2) Linear Games LG #2 in the LGB? I only went 2/5, and I think I had trouble making the initial inferences, but I should get better. (I'm only on day three of LSAT studying.)

Through Linear LG 1-4 in the LGB, I've gone 18/23. Granted, it's untimed. I got two wrong merely in virtue of overlooking a couple pertinent restrictions imposed by the question(s) - for instance, having to keep one variable locked into the second slot - I didn't do that for a couple hypotheticals that I constructed for the question(s), which led to me choosing the wrong answer(s). That should be easily remedied. I did go 10/23 on LG in my (timed) diagnostic, so even if this is untimed (and just linear games), it's encouraging.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:36 am

Im going to make a real long post here this weekend

this is the warning for it

posting my study plan since its my 3rd and last attempt at the test.

Gonna also post a Q on study material as well.

let me know what you think about doing that ITT. I want to post it here because
a.) It is very active here compared to other parts of forum
b.) No one else available to ask with your knowledge
c.) Need feedback

sound good?

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:58 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:Im going to make a real long post here this weekend

c.) Need feedback

sound good?

i'm sure all of us are excited to see it! all of us should be encouraging each other, and we do that by posting whenever we can. go for it. x

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:00 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
warandpeace wrote:hey everyone, what seems to be the general consensus on improving time? drilling? because i've been finally taking PTs, and it seems like my score drops every time, but mostly because i'm omitting an average of 7 or more questions a section. but i'm actually missing less questions.

so...drilling?

If you've gone through the guides already, then drilling is definitely what you should be doing. After doing all of the problems from PTs 1-40, I took my LG from missing 3-6 per to missing 0 pretty much every time. Prior to drilling my LR was -6-10 per. After going through LR from PTs 1-20, I dropped down to -2-4. Then I took a couple weeks off from drilling LR, and my missed question totals started to float back up again.

It's not fun, and it takes an eternity, but it's what you've gotta do if you want to be T6 ballin'

to be honest, i haven't gone through LRB yet. It's so huge, I'm just terrified that it's too late/it'll take too long/use up time I should be using to drill or take PTs. And I'm supplementing the RCB with the manhattan RC. Should I go through the LGB once more? Lmk what your opinions are, if you can. Thank you x

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:37 am

The LRB is much less intimidating than it seems. I blew through 100+ pages a day, and that was in just a couple hours. There is a lot of fluff (problem explanations, reviews, etc.), and you should be able to get through it in a week with no problem. It really is a fantastic resource. It shows you the in's and out's of each problem type: how to approach them, what actually constitutes a correct answer (which is crucial for types like Assumption, Parallel Reasoning, Resolve the Paradox, etc.), common incorrect answers, how to spot errors in logic, great lessons on Conditional reasoning/Cause-Effect arguments/Formal Logic, and more.

It's a must read if you want to get to 170+

cricketlove00

Postby cricketlove00 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:38 am

kmc wrote:
rebexness wrote:Again with the against the rules.

+1

getting caught is just not worth it. if you don't see the proctor behind you and they see you bubble in the wrong section... bad news bears.

and you're expending the energy and time looking around for the proctor (which makes you look suspicious) and worrying about getting caught...

isn't it easier to work like hell to lower your times so you can comfortably assume a couple of minutes to fix issues?

When I took the October 2012 test someone did this and he was kicked out. So there you go.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:50 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:Im going to make a real long post here this weekend

c.) Need feedback

sound good?

Do it! Seems like that could be useful for you as well as for the rest of us! Looking forward to seeing it.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:01 am

Didn't realize you couldn't fill in older answers... well, if you're running out of time, just throw down some bubbles.

arcanecircle

Postby arcanecircle » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:55 am

Wow its been a while since I tried super prep LG sections, they seem like they're pretty hard. Just me? A wasn't too bad but B was pretty hard for me to finish on time and I'm redoing that section now.. G3 was a circular ordering with pairs and lots of not groups, seemed pretty intense

lsatyolo

Postby lsatyolo » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:33 pm

warandpeace wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:

so...drilling?

to be honest, i haven't gone through LRB yet. It's so huge, I'm just terrified that it's too late/it'll take too long/use up time I should be using to drill or take PTs. And I'm supplementing the RCB with the manhattan RC. Should I go through the LGB once more? Lmk what your opinions are, if you can. Thank you x

read it. didn't take me more than 3 weeks.

ZGr88n

Postby ZGr88n » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:35 pm

I have a question regarding the LGB.

Here's my situation:
I'm currently in a semester long college course that is geared completely towards taking the LSAT, and in the course we're using nothing but Powerscores Workbooks. However, before we tackle the different sections and question types, the teacher puts on a power point detailing the strategies to find the correct answer (I think he employs mostly PS methods). Just here recently we finally started doing LG, since then I've been improving considerably on this section (still far from perfect though). I've been taking PTs and drilling LGs trying to get better, but still struggle with the time constraint sometimes. On my last PT I missed 3 or 4 on this section. I have all 3 of the Manhattan books, but haven't cracked them open yet because I had planned on using them for study material before I retake in Oct (which I fully intend on doing). Anyways on to the point of this post; do you guys think I should invest in the LGB now or wait and see what happens once we go over more LG's in my class (so far we've only done Basic and Advanced Lin). Shoveling out the money for it really isn't a concern, I just don't want to waste time going through the book if it's not needed.

Thanks for the help, you guys are awesome!

whynot123

Postby whynot123 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I know this is a stupid question, but what is LRB?

lsatkid007

Postby lsatkid007 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:24 pm

whynot123 wrote:I know this is a stupid question, but what is LRB?

Logical Reasoning Bible.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:33 pm

warandpeace wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:This has probably been asked before, but what's stopping you from skipping ahead to the next section on test day if you finish early? Are proctors literally creeping over your shoulder? Otherwise, it doesn't seem like something they could really control. I'm not saying I would do it... but using LG to free up 5 or 6 extra minutes on RC would be a godsend.

from what i've read on the boards, it looks like proctors are watching you like a hawk. i wouldn't do it. the repercussions aren't worth it, not to mention that i wouldn't be 100% proud of my score, as i wouldn't have really earned it.

Those huge numbers at the top of each page...

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:52 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
Fianna13 wrote:what proctor app do you guys use? I used the free one from kaplan on app store. and it just made me wasted a PT since it didn't tell me when to start after reading the rules and didn't tell me when to stop. I'm never using another kaplan made LSAT product again.

I don't normally use proctors which is probably a bad thing but when I do I use 7Sage or http://www.alphascore.com/resources/lsat-proctor/

thanks for posting that link. currently using it for my PT 42. Gotta say, 3 LR back to back is is pretty stressful :/

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:10 pm

WARNING: LONG POST. GAVE WARNING ABOUT THIS YESTERDAY
any help you guys can give will be good karma helping you achieve your dream/target score this June.

OK so I will start my prep Monday. 3rd and last attempt at LSAT. Applying again next cycle. Already applied this cycle

Will be following a hybrid of Steve Schwartz 6 month study plan and plithy pike prolonged plan
I wrote out the plan and actually have roughly 6 months and 3 weeks time span till the October test. So I will probably either shift the additional time to the Accuracy phase or the Endurance phase. Not sure which but Leaning towards the Accuracy phase since I have the endurance down due to taking the exam twice already.

other info : will probably get a tutor as well who scored 172 to tutor me. Probably schedule 6-10 sessions at $50/hour. Furthermore, Do not have a job currently but will be getting a full time job that starts in June-July (Americorps). So I have ample time to study till then... once the job starts will probably shift to studying at night and maybe taking PT at night. Also not noted in this schedule is I will be taking one day off a week, at least initially. I also incorporated "light" studying days as well. Week before exam I will take a few days off as well.

This plan below is a summary. I wrote the plan in Word with A LOT more detail. Did not want to overwhelm the forum members here.

links for each
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/6- ... -plan.html
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

Materials I will use
Manhattan 3rd edition LG ( physical version)
Manhattan 2nd edition LR and RC ( leftover from my previous prep...kindle edition)
Powerscore LRB and LGB (kindle)
Will order the Cambridge LR volumes next week
Have all PTs and drills for LG from previous prep

The Plan for the next 6+ Months
March 25th - April 22nd-25th ( this month dedicated to LG and light LR)
- Week 1 Complete Pure Sequencing,Basic Linear and end of week start Advanced Linear. Will be doing repeats and recording times for knowledge based purposes. Will have 3 copies doing two this week then end of month do 3rd repeat. Read the chapter for the above types in Powerscore and Manhattan LG

- Week 2 Finish up Advanced Linear, move on to Grouping : In-out/Selection and Grouping Splitting. repeat,review,time for knowledge, and read assigned chapters

- Week 3 Complete Combination games, do grouping matching games, Start little review of LR and focus on Main Point questions and POI. Reintroduce yourself to the material. Do additional games from previous weeks that troubled you or do more new games to keep practicing your skils. Time yourself and read chapters

- Week 4 Complete any logic games of the types that give you difficulty, then do 3-4 timed sections of LG review and redo following 24-72 hour gap. Drill more POI and Mainpoint Q, then relearn Role Of Argument Q. Repeat LR questions that gave you trouble

April 22nd-25th to May 20th-25th

- Week 1 Reread A Rulebook for Arguments and start to read Informal Logic by Walton. Review more LG, do more timed sections of LG, review review repeat. keep drilling LR questions of the types you practiced earlier and then reintroduce yourself to Must be True questions.

- Week 2 Complete few timed sections of LG. keep drilling Must be true Q and reintroduce yourself to Assumption questions near beg of week. Read the chapters , study it, learn it very well and drill drill drill

- Week 3 Continue LR week from earlier with more drills, repeats, and reviews. Reintroduce yourself to strengthen and weaken Q. Do more timed sections of LG. Read assigned chapters.

- Week 4 Continue LR work from earlier with more drills,repeats, and reviews. Reintroduce yourself to flaw and method of reasoning. Drill those types. Read the assigned chapters in Manhattan.

May 20th-25th to June 17th-21st ( SPEED PHASE )
- Week 1 -do more drilling of LG games that gave you difficulty, do more sections of LG,review,repeat. Introduce yourself to Parallel questions this week and drill,drill,drill,drill,drill. Complete 2-3 sections of LR timed.review and write up doc for reasons for correct and wrong answers.

- Week 2 - Complete more LR work from before and reintroduce yourself to paradox and principle questions this week. Redrill parallel again as well as doing more s/w questions and assumption questions. Do more timed sections of LG.

- Week 3 - Start with RC and follow plithypikes guide. Read manhattan guides on RC and develop my own methodology for RC. Complete few timed LG and LR sections, review, write in doc your reasoning

- Week 4 - Complete 2 RC sections timed near end of week. Continue drilling/learning/developing your methodology of RC in beg of week. Do some LG and LR sections timed as well and review/redo/document in word your reasoning.

June 17th-21st - July 15th-18th (speed phase)
- Week 1 - Catch up and review all work/types that give you problems. Redo linear/sequencing games try to solve them more quickly and make new inferences. DO more RC and other types that give you problem.
- Week 2 - catch up and review all work/types that give you problems. Redo Grouping and Combination games, try to solve them more quickly and make new inferences. Do more RC and other sections that give you problems
- Week 3 - same as above. Redo LR that give you trouble. Complete timed sections
- Week 4 - Do 3 tests in LSAC superprep and review throughly

July 15th-18th to August 12th - 15th ( start of endurance phase near end)
- Week 1 - go back to LG/LR/RC and do free june exam. review ,document, redo LG. Continue drilling out of Cambridge and PTs.
- Week 2 - Do December 2012 exam, review and document reasons. Continue drilling types you need work in.

- Week 3 - Review, and do more RC. do additional timed sections of LG/LR
- Week 4 - Do 3 recent LSATS as 4 section exams 60-63 perhaps. Review them and document reasons. Redo LG . Try to prephase. Understand reasoning and document,document,document.

August 12th-15th to September 9th to 13th
- Week 1 - do another 3 recent LSATs this type 5-6 sections . Review and document. Redo LG. Take PT in library,home, and in Cafe.
- Week 2 - Another 2-3 LSATs. Review and document. Redo LG. Take in different environments.
- Week 3 - Another 2-3 LSATS . Review and document. Redo LG. Take in different environments
- Week 4 - Another 3 LSATs . do above.

September 9th to 13th - test date
REVIEW REVIEW REVIEW types. REread books
do 3 LSATS each week.
Week before exam just do sections of LG and RC timed. Do 1 Section of LR. Perhaps do a PT beg-midway through this week. Day before Exam do nothing but light LG. Warm up before Exam with 2 RC passages 1 LG 5 LR questions.

ADDITIONAL NOTES AND THOUGHTS

okay so what do you guys think? this is a rough draft. Also I guess i didn't realize but maybe I should use his 7 month plan instead since at the end of this 6 month plan I only have 2 weeks left which I should use to do more LSATs but more time to review.

can someone equate the types of LG he used to Manhattan and Powerscore definitions?

What would be Grouping : Inout/selection in Manhattan/powerscore? The categories are all different so I do not know which type to drill. Confusing.

For this plan I obviously do not have it customized the whole way. Only for the "Accuracy" and bit of "Endurance" phase.

Since I have taken this exam 2 times before ( only with 2 months prep and cramming each time) I want to prolong this last attempt and drill drill drill. I want to get good at LR so I can prephase and really do well on that section. I want to develop my own method for RC and absolutely destroy it. Same with LG I want to get good and get -1/-0. Most importantly, since I have ample time I want to really nail it down in the ACCURACY phase. Last time I crammed so I didn't spend much time in Accuracy. In fact, I never even finished the Manhattan books except for RC and Powerscore.

This time I plan to finish Manhattan and Powerscore books. I want to reread them both as well so I can really nail this down. I want to destroy,molest, and rape the LSAT this 3rd and last time around.

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm confused as all hell. I just did the first 40 questions of LR Necessary Assumption level 1 and got -1. Good job, right? lol

Anyway, the next day i attempted to do the same thing with the first 40 level 2, but i ended up with -9. All of them being on tests 1-9. on the following tests of 9 - 18 i only got -1... What should i do. I plan on completing the rest of level 1's tomorrow and level 2's the following day. And i will probably go over some level 3's some time next week if I dont see a big improvement on the other level 2's... I have read that the LR from early tests is more difficult because the wording is a bit archaic, ANy thoughts?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:50 pm

mvonh001 wrote:I'm confused as all hell. I just did the first 40 questions of LR Necessary Assumption level 1 and got -1. Good job, right? lol

Anyway, the next day i attempted to do the same thing with the first 40 level 2, but i ended up with -9. All of them being on tests 1-9. on the following tests of 9 - 18 i only got -1... What should i do. I plan on completing the rest of level 1's tomorrow and level 2's the following day. And i will probably go over some level 3's some time next week if I dont see a big improvement on the other level 2's... I have read that the LR from early tests is more difficult because the wording is a bit archaic, ANy thoughts?

Have you read the LRB? For me, I had a similar experience with level 1, but then I did levels 3 and 4, and did pretty terrible. I read the LRB (it's a short section) and that helped a good amount.

I think the easy ones (level 1) are just common sense, so it's almost a false sense of security. When I was done level 1, I was sure that I had this section down.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”