JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

RhymesLikeDimes

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:06 pm

rebexness wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Spent 3 hours erasing my LG and LR drilling books... I guess that counts as test prep.

Its clearly too late for this, but if anyone else feels the need to do this, I recommend white out :)

I'm hoping to sell them after I'm done, and too much white-out looks grody. It's also just about equally time-consuming, and you still need to erase your answer marks.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
rebexness wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Spent 3 hours erasing my LG and LR drilling books... I guess that counts as test prep.

Its clearly too late for this, but if anyone else feels the need to do this, I recommend white out :)

I'm hoping to sell them after I'm done, and too much white-out looks grody. It's also just about equally time-consuming, and you still need to erase your answer marks.

dedication

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:17 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
rebexness wrote:

dedication

seriously. you could almost make enough money in 3 hours to cover the value

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 pm

PT 42 - 89 Raw / 169 Scaled

LG -0 I finished well before the five minute mark, the first game was a bit funky, but they were all easy.
LR1 -8 I finished at the buzzer, I felt confident at the time, when I scored it I was livid.
RC -2 I finished with a minute or so to spare, I am pleased with my performance, which is odd for RC.
LR2 -2 I was okay with this score, the two wrong answers were misreads.

It is really frustrating to get RC into a good range finally, and blow an LR section. Its nice to see the rewards of all the RC drilling, but it can't come at the expense of LR. Its frustrating that normally I go ~4 or 5 on LR combined, and I nearly doubled that on one section.

I guess its a good thing that I am treating a 169 as the end of the world. PT 43 on Tuesday, If I don't hit back in the mid 170s, I will throw a fit.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:30 pm

^

What's your method for drilling RC? Anything specific or just print out sections and go at it?

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:52 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:^

What's your method for drilling RC? Anything specific or just print out sections and go at it?

I just go at it. I have all of the bundles. I'll print out five passages, do them on breaks at work, and finish/review them when I get home. The humanities ones are the hardest for me, so I am working through all of those. I don't notate anything because I find it to be a waste of time, distracting, and unhelpful. When I read it, I read for structure and author's tone. I am slowly getting better, but the answer choices can seem arbitrary to me at times. Really I am just trying to get more familiar with what the test asks for. I wish they got rid of RC and replaced it with another LG section. I don't get why RC is difficult for me, seeing as I was a History major, I am an avid reader, and have no problems with dense writing.

But seriously, fuck RC.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:56 pm

deputydog wrote:I don't notate anything because I find it to be a waste of time, distracting, and unhelpful.

i kind of agree with this. i find notating actually make me forget what i read previously....

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:12 am

deputydog wrote:

I just go at it. I have all of the bundles. I'll print out five passages, do them on breaks at work, and finish/review them when I get home. The humanities ones are the hardest for me, so I am working through all of those. I don't notate anything because I find it to be a waste of time, distracting, and unhelpful. When I read it, I read for structure and author's tone. I am slowly getting better, but the answer choices can seem arbitrary to me at times. Really I am just trying to get more familiar with what the test asks for. I wish they got rid of RC and replaced it with another LG section. I don't get why RC is difficult for me, seeing as I was a History major, I am an avid reader, and have no problems with dense writing.

But seriously, fuck RC.

Yeah I feel the exact same way. I took a lot of philosophy courses in undergrad so this shit is cake comprehension wise; it's just the questions/answer choices that trip me up. And +1 for replacing RC with another LG/LR section.

I have to start changing my attitude towards RC and actually put in effort to try and like the section like I do with LR and LG. Going to spend this week to try and get along with this bitch of a section.

Postby 052220151 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:13 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
deputydog wrote:

But seriously, fuck RC.

Yeah I feel the exact same way. I took a lot of philosophy courses in undergrad so this shit is cake comprehension wise; it's just the questions/answer choices that trip me up. And +1 for replacing RC with another LG/LR section.

I have to start changing my attitude towards RC and actually put in effort to try and like the section like I do with LR and LG. Going to spend this week to try and get along with this bitch of a section.

That's the thing, I like LG a lot. Its like doing the crossword or something. You could give me 8 sections of it in place of doing LR/RC and I'd love it and get a 180. I would rather pull splinters out of my eyeballs than doing RC, though.

Postby 052220151 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 am

eliztudorr wrote:
deputydog wrote:I don't notate anything because I find it to be a waste of time, distracting, and unhelpful.

i kind of agree with this. i find notating actually make me forget what i read previously....

Me too. I also found Manhattan's RC bible really unhelpful. That scale thing is just stupid.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:17 am

how much did u guys drill when u started your prep?

for ex lets say according to lsatqa your weakness is flaw questions

would u drill (timed but only for recording/knowledge) 20 flaw questions in one week and review them?

or would you rather drill as many as possible and review them?

im trying to configure some test prep study plans for my retake this October

Wanted to post this here since this thread is active

Postby 052220151 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:34 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:how much did u guys drill when u started your prep?

would u drill (timed but only for recording/knowledge) 20 flaw questions in one week and review them?

I drill daily, except on days I test. I usually do a section or two of LR daily. I only review the ones that I got wrong, or marked as unsure. When I do RC I do a bunch more of it, around 4-5. I don't drill timed, I do it at a decent pace and try to get more acquainted with how the test works. Timing isn't really an issue for me, so I figure timed tests (I do two a week) are good enough to keep that up to snuff. If you already have good basics and are taking timed tests, I don't think your drilling has to be timed.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:50 am

deputydog wrote:

I drill daily, except on days I test. I usually do a section or two of LR daily. I only review the ones that I got wrong, or marked as unsure. When I do RC I do a bunch more of it, around 4-5. I don't drill timed, I do it at a decent pace and try to get more acquainted with how the test works. Timing isn't really an issue for me, so I figure timed tests (I do two a week) are good enough to keep that up to snuff. If you already have good basics and are taking timed tests, I don't think your drilling has to be timed.

Okay thanks
I am using lsat blog 6 month study plan and plithypike study plan

I am just trying to customize them to my needs and to see what would be best for me. October is my last chance to maximize my score since I already took the exam last Oct/Dec.

Thank you for the advice I will keep it in mind and try to implement it.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:51 am

deputydog wrote:

Definitely drill for accuracy. I think it's helpful to set a timer anyway and put at times and dates on things you drill for keeping track of your progress like you said. I started journaling what I do for prep every day too, which has been useful for keeping the big picture in perspective.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:08 am

I am in such a serious funk.

I went from 176 to 169 to 167 to 164. I don't know if I'm just being distracted or what the hell is going on but I'm starting to get worried. I might take a break from actual tests for a few weeks and just do studying. At this point I don't know.

Any advice?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:19 am

phillywc wrote:I am in such a serious funk.

I went from 176 to 169 to 167 to 164. I don't know if I'm just being distracted or what the hell is going on but I'm starting to get worried. I might take a break from actual tests for a few weeks and just do studying. At this point I don't know.

Any advice?

Depends upon the location your errors in relation to PT# and section, the length of time since your last break, and how effectively you're reviewing, among other things. If you give me more information, I'll try to give you better advice.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:22 am

Daily_Double wrote:
phillywc wrote:I am in such a serious funk.

Any advice?

Depends upon the location your errors in relation to PT# and section, the length of time since your last break, and how effectively you're reviewing, among other things. If you give me more information, I'll try to give you better advice.

RC has been my rock, it was initially LR that was really plaguing me although this last test I missed a whole game (never done that before. Quite embarrassing, honestly). The 169 and 167 were back to back days, the 164 was today, a week later. My review has been a bit lax, perhaps I should focus more on that?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:28 am

phillywc wrote:RC has been my rock, it was initially LR that was really plaguing me although this last test I missed a whole game (never done that before. Quite embarrassing, honestly). The 169 and 167 were back to back days, the 164 was today, a week later. My review has been a bit lax, perhaps I should focus more on that?

You're in a great position with RC, which is awesome, great job. LR and LG aren't too difficult to reduce errors, so you should be fine. But review is how you move from one score level to a higher one, I'm convinced that the better one reviews the more likely that person will answer questions similar to the type which was reviewed correctly. I'd suggest spending more time reviewing PTs after taking them. Usually I'll review the day/night of, then really pour on the review the next day, also I suggest reviewing everything you did during a week at some point (Sunday).

If you take four old games, PT 1-38, every day, and ones from PTs you recently did, and beef up your LR review, you'll be golden. Good luck.

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:32 am

Daily_Double wrote:
phillywc wrote:RC has been my rock, it was initially LR that was really plaguing me although this last test I missed a whole game (never done that before. Quite embarrassing, honestly). The 169 and 167 were back to back days, the 164 was today, a week later. My review has been a bit lax, perhaps I should focus more on that?

You're in a great position with RC, which is awesome, great job. LR and LG aren't too difficult to reduce errors, so you should be fine. But review is how you move from one score level to a higher one, I'm convinced that the better one reviews the more likely that person will answer questions similar to the type which was reviewed correctly. I'd suggest spending more time reviewing PTs after taking them. Usually I'll review the day/night of, then really pour on the review the next day, also I suggest reviewing everything you did during a week at some point (Sunday).

If you take four old games, PT 1-38, every day, and ones from PTs you recently did, and beef up your LR review, you'll be golden. Good luck.

Thanks. I've been going over every question I got wrong but probably not in enough detail.

Thanks again for the feedback.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 am

have u guys been taking 3 PTs every week now that you are getting a little closer to test time?

I find it difficult to take a pt then review it then take another pt

would be too time consuming, especially for those who have a full time job.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:59 am

I was planning on doing 3 5 section Timed PT's per week. Might switch to two 5 section and 2 4 sections.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:have u guys been taking 3 PTs every week now that you are getting a little closer to test time?

I'm only taking two, five section, tests each week. It's pretty simple really, PT X on Tuesday, review PT X Tuesday night, review PT X Wednesday, PT Y on Thursday, review PT Y Thursday night, comparison of that weeks PTs, X and Y, with previous PTs for patterns, similarities, and differences on Friday and Saturday. Add a part-time job, Wednesday and Friday nights off, and a pretty easy schedule of classes, and that's a typical week for me. Of course, things can change, but since I'm only doing two per week, it's pretty easy to stay on top of it.

A.Taarabt7

Postby A.Taarabt7 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:37 am

Daily_Double wrote:
A.Taarabt7 wrote:have u guys been taking 3 PTs every week now that you are getting a little closer to test time?

I'm only taking two, five section, tests each week. It's pretty simple really, PT X on Tuesday, review PT X Tuesday night, review PT X Wednesday, PT Y on Thursday, review PT Y Thursday night, comparison of that weeks PTs, X and Y, with previous PTs for patterns, similarities, and differences on Friday and Saturday. Add a part-time job, Wednesday and Friday nights off, and a pretty easy schedule of classes, and that's a typical week for me. Of course, things can change, but since I'm only doing two per week, it's pretty easy to stay on top of it.

you feel that day and half is sufficient to review one full PT?

I feel like I would need to spend at least 3 days reviewing. Need to look at LR questions I got wrong then write out in word my reasoning, why I picked the wrong answer, and why the right answer was right. I would dissect the question and the answers and try to find the key reason why I got the question wrong. I try to review the questions I got correct as well. I reread the passages and try to find the specific line or section of the passage for all the questions so I can have a reference and figure out why I got that question right or wrong. If I got the question wrong, I need to identify the key reason or cause for why I got it wrong.

I also redo LG section while I am at it.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:20 am

A.Taarabt7 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

you feel that day and half is sufficient to review one full PT?

I feel like I would need to spend at least 3 days reviewing. Need to look at LR questions I got wrong then write out in word my reasoning, why I picked the wrong answer, and why the right answer was right. I would dissect the question and the answers and try to find the key reason why I got the question wrong. I try to review the questions I got correct as well. I reread the passages and try to find the specific line or section of the passage for all the questions so I can have a reference and figure out why I got that question right or wrong. If I got the question wrong, I need to identify the key reason or cause for why I got it wrong.

I also redo LG section while I am at it.

Haha, I'm much more confident in my answers so I don't have as much to review these days as I used to, really a day and a half plus a few hours on the weekend is more than enough for me. Every once and awhile I get stumped, but that's happening less and less often. The reason I bolded your question is because I just wrote what I'm doing now, I'm not suggesting that you do the same. I think that what is sufficient for me to review efficiently may be different than what is sufficient for you to review efficiently. If three days of review is the minimum number of days that's sufficient for you to review effectively, then do three days.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:18 am

I am going to start the hardcore PT-ing in April. Essentially April 1st.

What should I go for: mass # of PTs or quality of PTs?

For instance, I could go PT every 2nd or 3rd day - PTs on Monday, Review Tues/Wed, PT Thurs, Review Fri, PT Sat, Review Sun.... taking only 1 day to review PTs I feel good about, and 2 days for ones I don't... then I could get 25-30 PTs done by test day.

Or I could go for quality of PTs, and always do: Monday PT, 2 days review, Thursday PT, 2 days review, day off or comparison of the PTs and weak point analysis. This would render 20 total PTs if I adhered to it PERFECTLY.

So I can sacrifice maybe a day of review on 5-10 of my PTs, but get the reference of 5-10 more that way. Is this a good move? What do you guys recommend with your experience?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”