JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
eliztudorr

Bronze

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Post by eliztudorr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:55 am

can someone help me with PT58 S4 #15. im having trouble understanding the stim it well. i got quite lost after the first sentence....it might be a simple passage but i just cannot wrap my head around it so skipped it entirely.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 am

eliztudorr wrote:can someone help me with PT58 S4 #15. im having trouble understanding the stim it well. i got quite lost after the first sentence....it might be a simple passage but i just cannot wrap my head around it so skipped it entirely.
I'd help, but I haven't taken PT 58 yet, so nope. But, if it's an LR stimulus, and you accurately describe, abstractly, the argument, and the question type, I'd bet I can come up with the credited response.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:09 am

eliztudorr wrote:can someone help me with PT58 S4 #15. im having trouble understanding the stim it well. i got quite lost after the first sentence....it might be a simple passage but i just cannot wrap my head around it so skipped it entirely.
Stim is talking about how computers always produce uncertain results. So you look for an answer choice that matches that. B is the only answer there that tells me a reason why computer results are always uncertain

Does that make it more clear?

Second edit, the line about human cognition nearly matches B as an answer choice

eliztudorr

Bronze

Post by eliztudorr » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:51 am

armedwithamind wrote:
Stim is talking about how computers always produce uncertain results. So you look for an answer choice that matches that. B is the only answer there that tells me a reason why computer results are always uncertain

Does that make it more clear?

Second edit, the line about human cognition nearly matches B as an answer choice
THANK YOUUUUUU :)

wtrc

Gold

Post by wtrc » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:46 am

...must...study...hungover.... Ugh

Next time I am hungover may be June 11th. Possible exception of a vacation in April.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CanILive

New

Post by CanILive » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Hey all,

Had to move to Milwaukee for a job, will be getting back into the swing of things tonight.

Glad to see where are still crushing in this thread.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:18 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:On break from PT53 after going straight through first three sections. LG went well, less certain about my LR performance.. some questions were pretty tough!
I can only laugh at how bad I did on the second RC passage; worst ever.. don't know what happened. If it weren't for that catastrophe I would have been pretty pleased with the overall result.

LR -4
LG -1
LR -4
RC.........wait for it....... -11 :|

RC can go fuck itself
i second your suggestion that RC should go F itself.... i missed -12 so we are on similar boats...i keep misreading shit with double negatives....
That is exactly my problem too, and it's keeping me from getting into the 170s. I think with more overall reading and practicing timed sections it'll drop.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Yeah, as much as I hate working on RC I have to make it a focus otherwise it could backfire big time on game day.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:58 pm

PT53, S.1, n.4 -- example of where the "therefore" test fails?

Intermediate conclusion seems to be a much better candidate, logically speaking, for the final conclusion as opposed to what the credited/actual conclusion is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:17 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:PT53, S.1, n.4 -- example of where the "therefore" test fails?

Intermediate conclusion seems to be a much better candidate, logically speaking, for the final conclusion as opposed to what the credited/actual conclusion is.
huh i think youre over thinking this, the conclusion is pretty clearly the first sentence of the stim. then the answer choice (A) restates the initial sentence in the stim.

how can the sentence "the business must find new ways to grow" be anything but a conclusion given the other sentences in this stim? the other two sentences in the stim are both clear evidence for why the business needs to find new ways to grow. you can even include your "therefore test" as well. where else in this stim does it make sense to include a therefore?

eta: RC sucks and it's the reason i don't have a 180.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:24 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:PT53, S.1, n.4 -- example of where the "therefore" test fails?

huh i think youre over thinking this, the conclusion is pretty clearly the first sentence of the stim. then the answer choice (A) restates the initial sentence in the stim.

how can the sentence "the business must find new ways to grow" be anything but a conclusion given the other sentences in this stim? the other two sentences in the stim are both clear evidence for why the business needs to find new ways to grow. you can even include your "therefore test" as well. where else in this stim does it make sense to include a therefore?
I probably am over thinking it, but for this question specifically it's hard to justify the correct answer if you apply the therefore test. The first sentence supporting the intermediate conclusion makes more sense, to me at least, then the other way around. The first sentence gives a general recommendation and the intermediate conclusion is a more narrow/specific version of that general recommendation. You're not going to say "there is a need for expansion into new manufacturing areas THEREFORE this region must find new ways to help business grow."

"This region needs to find new ways to help business grow, therefore there is a need for expansion into new manufacturing areas." Call me crazy, but this sounds a LOT better than the other way around.
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:27 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

I probably am over thinking it, but for this question specifically it's hard to justify the correct answer if you apply the therefore test. The first sentence supporting the intermediate conclusion makes more sense, to me at least, then the other way around. The first sentence gives a general recommendation and the intermediate conclusion is a more narrow/specific version of that general recommendation.
how about you stop trying to use manhattan methods and think about solving the problems with your brain and methods? i understand that manhattan is the gospel around here but everyone learns differently and we definitely learn best when we try to reason out problems in our mind rather than in the mind of someone else.

alpha kenny body

Gold

Post by alpha kenny body » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm

armedwithamind wrote:eta: RC sucks and it's the reason i don't have a 180.
What's been your best method for getting RC down?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:48 pm

^ Because for the most of us our own "brain and methods" aren't good enough so we have no choice but to resort to "other people's minds" to get a better understanding of the test.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:15 pm

Finished the LG section of PT 53 at least three minutes ago... All I can think is when is this proctor going to call 5 minutes remaining? Doesn't she know I'm getting bored?

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Some of the sounds on my proctor app are driving me insane.

Its probably worse bc I am wearing headphones.

bdeans91

New

Post by bdeans91 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Any other tips for LR timing aside from "first 15 - 15 minutes"?

I -10'd the first section on this PT because I left only 10 minutes for the last 10 questions. Then I had about 17 minutes for the last 10 questions on the other LR section and got -2.

I'm thinking maybe stop scrutinizing the answers after you've checked them all and one pops out? That's what I did on my second section but I'm not sure if it is a good idea.

Also, tips for LG timing in terms of structuring the 4 games? I finished the section just about in time but the 4th game felt rushed.

Thanks guys!!!

Just got 167 on Super Prep B. I'm going to begin with PT 41 probably next week, and do a PT every 3rd-4th day until exam time!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:05 pm

PT 53

LR: -3
LG: -0
LR: -1
RC: -5

91 / 172

A bit of timing issues on the first LR, but not as bad as it has been on recent tests. I'm going to dedicate this week to locking that down by reviewing and drilling assumption family questions.

RC was very stressful — I was behind after the second passage, but went into the fourth with a bit of extra time. Got to the questions with 5 minutes left, and still had to blast through to beat the timer. Went -3 in that last passage alone. RC is easily the most volatile section on the LSAT.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:27 pm

PT 53: Raw 96, Scaled 178

LGX: -0
LR: -0
LG: -0
LR: -0
RC: -4, #11, 23, 24, 27

That last passage... Holy Shit. Bubbles, proctor app, break, all the good stuff. Finished the first three, including LGX, before the five minute mark, LR2 slightly after five minute mark, about a minute extra in RC. I literally knew while reading the last passage that it was going to suck. Generous curve though.

Good news is that I've been rocking LR and LG really hard lately, so if worst comes to worst, I know I can count on low scores from those two sections.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:34 pm

I know man. Traumatic.

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:36 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:I know man. Traumatic.
I'm about to get a bag of ice for my butthole.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mindarmed

Silver

Post by mindarmed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:02 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:^ Because for the most of us our own "brain and methods" aren't good enough so we have no choice but to resort to "other people's minds" to get a better understanding of the test.
my bad, i think i re-read what i wrote and came off a little condescending. definitely not my intention, sorry about that.

and mth, i just did a lot of passages when i took the first time. worked well, still got a -4 though.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:57 pm

Spent 3 hours erasing my LG and LR drilling books... I guess that counts as test prep.

rebexness

Gold

Post by rebexness » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:10 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Spent 3 hours erasing my LG and LR drilling books... I guess that counts as test prep.
Its clearly too late for this, but if anyone else feels the need to do this, I recommend white out :)

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:33 pm

armedwithamind wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:^ Because for the most of us our own "brain and methods" aren't good enough so we have no choice but to resort to "other people's minds" to get a better understanding of the test.
my bad, i think i re-read what i wrote and came off a little condescending. definitely not my intention, sorry about that.

and mth, i just did a lot of passages when i took the first time. worked well, still got a -4 though.

s'all good

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”