JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

mvonh001

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby mvonh001 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:26 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:I have not gone over the questions i got wrong yet, but is there something i should be doing to get all of the level 4's right? Or is it just a problem of the times the tests that im getting the questions wrong came from (e.g. mainly from 1-20 pt)?

You're looking at it. Splitting the sections into 1/2 level one and 1/2 level two worked for me, it gives you a feel for the different levels of difficulty. I'd suggest reviewing after doing 30 problems though, it sounds like you did a bunch before reviewing, which is the way you get better.

mvonh001 wrote:I dont see how that will be beneficial for me in the long run

Leaving out the threes and fours, or only doing a portion less than/equal to half of them will be beneficial because of two things: first off, the early tests (pre-30s) are different from the late 60s, secondly, by not doing the level threes and fours you can save these sections, 30s, to use a fifth section later.

So you suggest i go through every level 3 and level 4 and if its from 1-20 dont do it? Is tthere an easy way to get them in the proper order? Like 1st half vs 2nd half?

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:30 pm

bdeans91 wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Happy weekend everyone!

How much has LSAT studying affected your weekend plans/social life at this point, three months out?

My girlfriend sees me only 1-2x per week.

And I don't go out to party anymore because the lack of sleep from a long night out may affect an entire day's productivity.

I look at it this way... I am literally studying for future money in my pocket... In Canada this means 90k a year, in the States 160+... That's a lot of money and valuing partying over that (when the time frame is so small to study for this exam) seems foolish.

i pretty much disappeared off the face of the earth. i only let myself go out (for dinner or buy stuff) 1 day on certain weeks. most of the time, im at work, studying..sleep.

i am not in a relationship at all (because my ex fucked me up really bad, but again, i don't think having one would benefit me at this pt in time...they will say you don't care about them enough just because they cannot understand what you are possibly going through)

no alcohol (because i get really bad hangovers and that waste one day of no studying but laying in bed like a dead person) yep. but this is investment to your own future, goal! and the truth is, true friend will still be there when you get out of your cave. families will understand. and if your friends don't stay, they are not real, you can just make new friends later.

keep your mind focus so you won't feel sad about what your life is becoming.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:horrible late observation, but is it just me or LR question start getting more complicated since the mid 50s....like answer choices are twisted and stuff =.= and stims are getting less straight forward. just my own feel..or im just getting dumber as i do more questions...i don't know :shock:

Absolutely. The more recent tests require you to be much more detail oriented with respect to the answer choices. I feel like the older tests have more obvious wrong answers than the more recent tests so it's essential you develop a more keen eye to detail for the recent ones.

okay...gonna try to get use to this...i swear its like a mind twister...all the time...=.=

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:34 pm

mvonh001 wrote:So you suggest i go through every level 3 and level 4 and if its from 1-20 dont do it? Is tthere an easy way to get them in the proper order? Like 1st half vs 2nd half?

Ok, I'll clear things up, and for the sake of brevity I'll assume you're referring to LR in Cambridge, I'm pretty sure this is correct, although I believe it hasn't been explicitly stated, and I'm in LSAT mode so I have to clearly point out assumptions.

Drilling: Do the ones and twos from each packet. Do 30 level ones, then 30 level twos, review after each 30 questions. I'm suggesting that if you feel that you must look at the threes and fours, then do half or less of the questions for each level, three and four, from the question type you feel that you must do. It's been awhile since I cracked open my Cambridge LR folders, but I believe they're ordered, in terms of difficulty, from earliest to latest, referring to PTs. So it would be pretty easy to start at the 30s and check them out.

I'm suggesting that you do some of the level threes and fours from the pre-30s, if and only if, you feel that you must do them to strengthen weak areas. I'm also suggesting that you don't do all of the level threes and fours from any packet. I'm suggesting that you don't do them so that when you use the 30s for fifth sections, you have new and potentially challenging material to test your skills upon.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:horrible late observation, but is it just me or LR question start getting more complicated since the mid 50s....like answer choices are twisted and stuff =.= and stims are getting less straight forward. just my own feel..or im just getting dumber as i do more questions...i don't know :shock:

Haha, no you're not getting dumber. They're about the same in my opinion, maybe slight differences in answers due to precision, but that's only judging from 67 and 66. You just have to remember to not get caught up in the weeds that are the wrong answers.

thanks DD for stating that im not gettin dumber LOL im gonna keep working through this UHHHHHHHHH

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 pm

eliztudorr wrote:keep your mind focus so you won't feel sad about what your life is becoming.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:42 pm

I would like to add a point to the above posters notes, which while correct in their assertion that this is one of the most important tests and as such one should not slack off, may have exceeded the scope of the situation. Slacking off is defined as doing things which are not going to lead to one realizing their desired score on June 10, 2013. However, some activities, drinking on Wednesday, Fridays, hanging out with friends, movies, a date with some new cute girl, for some people lead to one realizing their desired score on June 10, 2013. Looking at our conditionals, we have:

Slacking ---> ~realizing their desired score

Some activities for some people ---> realizing their desired score

Therefore,

Some activities for some people ---> ~Slacking

So, for the love of god, don't let the LSAT ruin your social life, if and only if, you are a member of unknown number of people mentioned above as "some people"

Side Note - I'll concede that I may have restated the points above to the extent that I made them more vulnerable to counterpoints than they actually are, which as Powerscore would say is a Straw Man argument. I also made up definitions which may or may not conform to what the defined term actually is. In addition, I used vague phrases to suit my own argument.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:43 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:keep your mind focus so you won't feel sad about what your life is becoming.

haha wise words indeed

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Benefits/drawbacks to writing out hypos before beginning questions in LG? I never used to do this, but if it helps I may start doing hypos just to get a feel for how the rules interact with each other.

i find it help a lot on certain games where there's really only 3 hypo. but if there's like 5+ then NO....

like if there's really only 3-4 hypo derive from a certain rule, then i say go for it. most of the time where i see a possible 3-4 hypo, i finish the game within 5 minutes. try it. see if you like it. if not, then don't.

Cool, thanks! Can you give me an example of a game where's there's only 3 or 4 possible solutions?

i was just about to look up some to let you tryyyyy....hmmmm i saw this one that i made a huge note saying MASTER THE SETUP. try PT10 G2. when i first did it when i just began LG, it took me 18 min lol shame on me. but then i tried it again, with hypo and it got easier. try it.

Alright so I tried this game but there's at least 5 different full solutions to this game lol (I may be missing some but I have at least 5); by hypos I just meant 2 or 3 different orientations of "workable" solutions. So for example, G..HF..LK..J would be one hypo with each arrangement in movies M, R, S, and W respectively.

objection_your_honor wrote:Dozo, PT 51 game 3 is like that.

Yeah this game is definitely limited in terms of different solutions. But what about more open ended games that have more solutions - is "hypo-ing" beforehand worth it?

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Ughhh, first ever -3 on a LG section. PT40 (June 2003) Game #3: Zephyr Airlines flights; Honolulu, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Philadelphia.

This one really came out of left field. Took me 14:30, and I still didn't have it down.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:01 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Ughhh, first ever -3 on a LG section. PT40 (June 2003) Game #3: Zephyr Airlines flights; Honolulu, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Philadelphia.

This one really came out of left field. Took me 14:30, and I still didn't have it down.

Objection, you got it this time.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:09 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Benefits/drawbacks to writing out hypos before beginning questions in LG? I never used to do this, but if it helps I may start doing hypos just to get a feel for how the rules interact with each other.

i was just about to look up some to let you tryyyyy....hmmmm i saw this one that i made a huge note saying MASTER THE SETUP. try PT10 G2. when i first did it when i just began LG, it took me 18 min lol shame on me. but then i tried it again, with hypo and it got easier. try it.

Alright so I tried this game but there's at least 5 different full solutions to this game lol (I may be missing some but I have at least 5); by hypos I just meant 2 or 3 different orientations of "workable" solutions. So for example, G..HF..LK..J would be one hypo with each arrangement in movies M, R, S, and W respectively.

oh...i prob misunderstood you...sorry ><" cuz i was looking at my notes, and i only had 2 hypo but with some floaters with different possible slots. i see. i will keep you posted if i run into ones more like what you asked about. ><" sorry.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:14 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Ughhh, first ever -3 on a LG section. PT40 (June 2003) Game #3: Zephyr Airlines flights; Honolulu, Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Philadelphia.

Whenever this happens to me (like a WTF section vs just some dumb ass error) I go find the 7sage video explanation.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Yeah this game is definitely limited in terms of different solutions. But what about more open ended games that have more solutions - is "hypo-ing" beforehand worth it?

I really don't think so. On really open ended games a good, accurate and complete diagram is what you want.

On super restricted games (perfect example is PT41 S2 Game 1) I will set up the four or five partially filled out hypos (no need to try and get every one) for the PT 42 example that would be R _ W_ _ _ and R _ S_ _ _ and _ _ W _ _ R and _ _ S _ _ R. This makes it easy so that you can plug and chug really easily, you will pick up a ton of deductions when you do this too.

On in and out games, dont even diagram, just plug and chug.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm

That game was pretty tough. If you see something like that on a PT I would recommend just skipping ahead to the next one so that you can save your remaining time (hopefully you have some banked) on the difficult one. I took that PT last month and finished with LG at the wire because of that game, and I usually finish closer to the 5 minute mark. I don't know if you have taken PT 42 yet, but there is a game on there that will throw you for a loop.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:34 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Dozo, PT 51 game 3 is like that.

Yeah this game is definitely limited in terms of different solutions. But what about more open ended games that have more solutions - is "hypo-ing" beforehand worth it?

I'll only do that with a very restricting rule, or if I am having a hard time understanding, but I think DD swears by running one or two random hypos after setup just to get a feel for how things work.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:36 pm

I struggled with this game the first time I saw it, too. I used MLSAT's open board, but I was very sloppy and just thought I could power through (bad habit). I did it again recently using the open board, and I think this is everything you need to solve the questions:

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:44 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:

haha wise words indeed

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:

oh...i prob misunderstood you...sorry ><" cuz i was looking at my notes, and i only had 2 hypo but with some floaters with different possible slots. i see. i will keep you posted if i run into ones more like what you asked about. ><" sorry.

No need to apologize I probably should have been more clear

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:49 pm

I struggled with this game the first time I saw it, too. I used MLSAT's open board, but I was very sloppy and just thought I could power through (bad habit). I did it again recently using the open board, and I think this is everything you need to solve the questions:

Plus, see my comments here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=198695&p=6388961&hilit=Airlines#p6388961

if you want another diagram, although mine looks similar, but with more hypos, let me know

mvonh001

Postby mvonh001 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:53 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
mvonh001 wrote:So you suggest i go through every level 3 and level 4 and if its from 1-20 dont do it? Is tthere an easy way to get them in the proper order? Like 1st half vs 2nd half?

Ok, I'll clear things up, and for the sake of brevity I'll assume you're referring to LR in Cambridge, I'm pretty sure this is correct, although I believe it hasn't been explicitly stated, and I'm in LSAT mode so I have to clearly point out assumptions.

Drilling: Do the ones and twos from each packet. Do 30 level ones, then 30 level twos, review after each 30 questions. I'm suggesting that if you feel that you must look at the threes and fours, then do half or less of the questions for each level, three and four, from the question type you feel that you must do. It's been awhile since I cracked open my Cambridge LR folders, but I believe they're ordered, in terms of difficulty, from earliest to latest, referring to PTs. So it would be pretty easy to start at the 30s and check them out.

I'm suggesting that you do some of the level threes and fours from the pre-30s, if and only if, you feel that you must do them to strengthen weak areas. I'm also suggesting that you don't do all of the level threes and fours from any packet. I'm suggesting that you don't do them so that when you use the 30s for fifth sections, you have new and potentially challenging material to test your skills upon.

Yes, i am referring to LR. So let me get this straight. Please correct me if im wrong.
You suggest that I:

Do 30 level 1 questions --> Review said questions
Do 30 level 2 questions --> Review said questions
Do 30/remaining level 1 questions --> Review said questions
Do 30/remaning level 2 questions --> Review said questions
Do level 3 questions that are pre PT30 --> Review said questions
Do level 4 questions that are pre PT30 --> Review said questions

Use PT30+ as 5th section on upcoming PTs.

Now you also say that if i feel they are necessary then i should do level 3 and level 4, but if i just did level 1 and 2 on the must be true that i finished already then i would not think it was necessary for me to do level3 or 4 because i only got 7 wrong, yet after doing 3 and 4 I see that i did not have a grasp of the ideas to complete the questions correctly. So what would you have done in my situation had I only done section 1 and 2 and got 7 wrong? Would you continue up to level3 and level4, Im just confused as to why I wouldn't use these questions to drill when im going to be exposed to level 3's and level4's when i PT and when i sit to take the LSAT in June...

If my last paragraph got a little wordy or confusing let me know and ill try to rewrite it better.

EDIT: OR are you saying to not do the post-30 questions because im going to be inevitably seeing the questions and answers when I PT? BEcause that makes sense and i think it just clicked for me. Except the fact that how do i know if i need to do any level 3 or level 4? based solely off of my 1 and 2 performance? It seems like would i get ice hockey lessens because i know how to skate around the ring (how will i know if i can play ice hockey with just that little bit of knowledge)?

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 pm

Appreciate the help guys. I was trying to turn it into the Railroad Mapping game, which is what killed me. For some reason, I was thinking that all of the cities had to be connected in a single loop. I'll take a week, then try it again, just to make sure I'm really understanding the concept.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:26 pm

PT 52

LR1: -1 (#16)
LG: -2 (#3, 17)
LR2: -3 (16,17,25)
RC: 0

93/99 raw, 174 scaled

Have not yet reviewed, but I'm actually really confused. The LG must have been careless errors, and this hasn't happened in a while. Yet my best RC ever before this was -4, so I'm so pumped by the RC. I think I did this PT like a year and a half ago, so not sure how accurate the score is.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:34 pm

weathercoins wrote:PT 52

93/99 raw, 174 scaled

Have not yet reviewed, but I'm actually really confused. The LG must have been careless errors, and this hasn't happened in a while. Yet my best RC ever before this was -4, so I'm so pumped by the RC. I think I did this PT like a year and a half ago, so not sure how accurate the score is.

Good job weather! I keep missing a couple on LG, careless errors as well. I'd die to go -0 on RC, I don't think I've ever went less than -2.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:50 pm

Kool-Aid wrote:
weathercoins wrote:PT 52

93/99 raw, 174 scaled

Good job weather! I keep missing a couple on LG, careless errors as well. I'd die to go -0 on RC, I don't think I've ever went less than -2.

The things I would do to go -0 on RC on June 10, 2013... It's bad. And awesome work weathercoins.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”