JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:54 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

rebexness wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Anybody else checking the "Acceptances, Waitlists, and Denials" threads of schools you want to attend, even though not applying for another year? :roll: :shock:

I may or may not have this year and last years threads bookmarked, along with any other major threads about the schools. Well, basically all of the T14.

no shame.jpg

Same...it's so much pressure though, when you know everything else is fine like GPa, softs and the only thing left is the lsat. The last piece of the puzzle that can make or break everything you've worked for over the last couple years. Sounds way too apocalyptic...ill shut up now.

RPK

Postby RPK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Coming over here from December waiting thread. It's been two days since I got my score and I'm still in shock. I scored a whole 9 pionts lower than my PT's :(((((((((((

First PT cold in August 2012 - 155
October 2012 - Cancel
December 2012 - 162
June retake?

Ugggh, I can't even think about going through the intensity of LSAT prep again. I have a job & kids... plus I don't want to wait another cycle. But 162 is a bust compared to how I had been scoring in timed PTs for the last few months!

Here's my plan. Spend the next few days in complete misery. Next week, dust myself off and get back to work.
1) Complete application and submit to what I thought would be my safety schools, but now might not even accept me. (OMG, I still can't believe how badly I screwed up). Accept a seat at the best of those schools as a backup.
2) In February, start a serious study plan for June retake. Get a tutor?
3) In June, retake the exam.
If I score really well, defer/withdraw from law school and reapply to the T14 schools I was originally interested in for the next year. Wait a year. Hope for the best despite the 3 retakes. Obviously if in June I'm still in the 160's, I'll give it up and register for September 2013 at whatever school had accepted me.

How does this plan sound? Sorry to be such a debby downer, I'm just soooooo bummed and have nowhere else to vent.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:32 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RPK

Postby RPK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:44 pm

rebexness wrote:
RPK wrote:1) Complete application and submit to what I thought would be my safety schools, but now might not even accept me. (OMG, I still can't believe how badly I screwed up). Accept a seat at the best of those schools as a backup.

How does this plan sound?

I wouldn't do this. Seems like a waste of money to apply to schools you don't reaaaaally want to go to (Or aren't using for scholarship negotiations). If you want T14, go to T14. Get the LSAT score to make it possible. Plus seat deposits aren't cheap.

Given how badly I predicted this score (I was 99% certain I scored over 170) I have to consider the possibility that I might bomb in June too. Then what, I've waited an entire cycle to apply to the same disappointing schools?

EastTexan

Postby EastTexan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:22 pm

Jumping in this thread after a disappointing December. I'll get my schedule and prep material ready by the end of the month and I plan to start prepping Feb.1

Shooting for a 180 this go around and won't even consider taking the test again unless I'm pting well into the 170s.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm

I have finished the Manhattan Logic Games and Logical Reasoning books.

I am working on formulating a study plan for this test.

Does anyone have experience stretching pithypike's study plan for 5 months?

Sorry to hear about those who got subpar scores that have just entered this thread. Hopefully you can get a 180 this time around like the majority of us will in this thread.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:45 pm

CanILive wrote:I have finished the Manhattan Logic Games and Logical Reasoning books.

Sorry to hear about those who got subpar scores that have just entered this thread. Hopefully you can get a 180 this time around like the majority of us will in this thread.

Dat Confidence

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:57 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
CanILive wrote:I have finished the Manhattan Logic Games and Logical Reasoning books.

Dat Confidence

I searched for a confidence gif and this happened:

DELETED

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

myoung7189

Postby myoung7189 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

Hello all,

I am recent college grad with a Bachelor's in Philosophy. I walked across the stage in the middle of December. After that ceremonial b.s. I planned on possibly going to South East Asia to teach English as a foreign language. I would've hopefully had time to study for the lsat while abroad. After much contemplation, I have decided to stay home and work for the next 6 months solely on crushing the lsat. Instead of meandering around, like I have done much of my life, I will score above a 175 on the lsat and garner a full scholarship to the best school that offers me one. Luckily, my parents support me and have encouraged me in to do this. As for myself, I am a splitter that has a total undergrad gpa of 2.9. Fortunately, I was able to raise it from a lowly 2.5 to this still unimpressive gpa; this improvement happened over a year and a half time. Supposedly an uptick in your gpa means your matured or something, and this bodes well in your application process. Hopefully, this aids my prospects.

With regards to the lsat I have half- heartedly committed to the June 2012 and December 2012 lsats. My university studies allowed me to have an excuses in the past. No more of this unsureness exists within me, and I have no excuses to draw upon. I will take and slaughter this test, or I suffer a daunting and difficult future. This is not to say my life will be easy preparing for this test, attending law school, and beyond. In my previous studies for the lsat I have worked through the LGB, LRB, and Manhattan RC. I have also worked through some actual lsats and a insignificant portion of the Cambridge workbooks in LR, RC, and LG. I will begin reworking through everything tomorrow. Good luck to you all and don't make this or any other commitment likely.

“He who is most slow in making a promise is the most faithful in performance of it.” - my dog Rousseau

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:08 pm

weathercoins wrote:Anybody else checking the "Acceptances, Waitlists, and Denials" threads of schools you want to attend, even though not applying for another year? :roll: :shock:

You are not alone in that one brother. I hated UG and am ready to move onto better things.

PotenC

Postby PotenC » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:16 pm

Anyone have any advice for RC sections? It has so far consistently been my costliest section. I've read the Manhattan RC guide and have been attempting to put into use the strategies in the book.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 pm

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 pm

On a bus to NYC now. Reading a non-LSAT book. I work ft, so could be my last full non-LSAT book I have time for til June. 5 months, y'all.

I bet once Feb passes this thread really starts hopping, just remembering the June 2011 thread...

myoung7189

Postby myoung7189 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Feels good to be back in the lsat game. I went ham on Must Be True questions for about three and half hours then spent the next 30 to 45 minutes trying to understand the logic behind two questions. It felt like my brain turned to absolute and complete mush; I decided it was best to just put the books down at that point. Do any of your brains simply stop functioning after a certain amount of time with this shit?

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:39 pm

myoung7189 wrote:Feels good to be back in the lsat game. I went ham on Must Be True questions for about three and half hours then spent the next 30 to 45 minutes trying to understand the logic behind two questions. It felt like my brain turned to absolute and complete mush; I decided it was best to just put the books down at that point. Do any of your brains simply stop functioning after a certain amount of time with this shit?

yea after 4 hours without a break, a pack of cigarettes and 8 cups of coffee one of two things happen with me: either leave it be and do it tomorrow or just start answering questions with that "gut intuition" instead of reallllyyyy evaluating the question (no bueno). Shit, when you feel burnt get up and walk away (in the beginning weeks of prep)....later on down the line keep pushing through bc fatigue is gonna be a real problem on test day if you're not used to it. If you can plow through 7-8 sections at once and minimize wrong answers, then 5 is going to feel like nothing. But i guess at this stage of the game what's the point. We're all trying to understand stuff and deconstruct the test, so fatigue/burn out just means the stuff you're doing isnt sinking in...plowing through it isnt going to help the conceptual shit.

Something i found to be extremely helpful from the MLRB for inference questions was to eliminate the ACsthat are obviously wrong and then figure out which AC is most plausible. Whenever i start looking at the answer choices relative to the other answer choices instead of comparing each to the argument, almost always get the question wrong. For me, thinking outside of the parameters of the argument is what im fighting the most. How about you?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:13 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:43 am

Well I just got done freaking out that MLSAT made an error in one of the problems in the Logic Games book...only to go back and see that I missed a word reading the answer choices.

Anybody else just get excited that they are learning how to do these problems better and then read through the questions/answers too quickly?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:17 am

ricekrispies wrote:Well I just got done freaking out that MLSAT made an error in one of the problems in the Logic Games book...only to go back and see that I missed a word reading the answer choices.

Anybody else just get excited that they are learning how to do these problems better and then read through the questions/answers too quickly?

:twisted:
Yes!!! I forced myself to read it slowly, cautiously. :wink:

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 am

Daily_Double wrote:So I didn't really think this one through. Today I printed off the rest of Cambridge's question type sections for PTs 1-38, later trees. Five minutes ago I look at the mountain of questions my printer vomited then looked at the volume of the bags I brought home for break and then looked at my Christmas presents.

:lol: I loled so hard.....

I actually bought several bags to keep my mass files organized...... Categorized as Piece of cake, need to review, being kicked ass :mrgreen:

This is probably the BEST Christmas gifts I ever got. Isn't it?

icclabthisbassets

Postby icclabthisbassets » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm

Checking in...

I started to follow (loosely) the LSAT Blog 5-month plan two day ago. I'm using Manhattan and Cambridge Ultimate Prep bundle. I'm a retaker (165, 164; 162 cold diag), but I feel it's better for me to kind of start from scratch since I obviously didn't really get the test on my first two tries. Clearly, a major problem for me is that I'm afraid I remember a lot of questions/games/passages from PTs. I think/hope I can still reuse them effectively, though, as long as I focus on my problem-solving techniques and not on scores.

ETA: And as long as I focus on overcoming fatigue. I was pretty brain dead during the 5th section in Dec.

cause8191

Postby cause8191 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:14 pm

I've got to get in on this. I'm taking this as a sophomore, planning on graduating early and applying this fall. Nothing short of 170 is acceptable. I can't waste my gpa. So far I've been drilling from the Cambridge books and learning the fundamentals of the test. I'm desperately trying to hold off on taking any more PTs until at least March. I am following the first two months of pithypike's guide and then will spend the last three months taking PTs 41-the latest one released (it should be 69 I think). I have also been hyper-analyzing everything so far: why I chose certain answers over others, my initial thoughts on every question, what I learned after seeing the correct answers, the patterns in the LSAT, etc. I might be in the minority, but I think prepping for the LSAT is kind of fun.

Good luck everybody.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm

My first timed preptest will be tomorrow...

Nervous :mrgreen:

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 pm

cause8191" I think prepping for the LSAT is kind of fun. .[/quote]

it is...challenges the way you're used to thinking about things. rc is a bitch though. gotta get it through my head that "it's fun." ughhh 180 or bust right. keep thinking there is absolutely no reason to get anything wrong. theres a right answer for every question and it's literally staring you in the face.

[quote="CanILive wrote:
My first timed preptest will be tomorrow...

Nervous :mrgreen:

good luck with the test!

Edit: fucked up the quote thing and cant figure out how to fix it...oh well

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”