JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby 052220151 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Reading RC is worse than watching the Nick Kroll show.

This.

Is LSATQA having computer aids for anyone else, or just me?

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 pm

deputydog wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Reading RC is worse than watching the Nick Kroll show.

This.

Is LSATQA having computer aids for anyone else, or just me?

No aids works fine

doorsal

Postby doorsal » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:57 am

rebexness wrote:
doorsal wrote:How does the bubbling sheet work during the test? Do you get the chance to fill out your details before the test begins? I am trying to work out how long it would take me to transfer my answers.

Secondly, does anyone have any ideas on where I can do some readings about jurispudence online? Ive been doing RC and have noticed that this is the topic that gives me the most difficulty because I dont have as much familiarity with it as the other topics. Right now im thinking wikipedia.

You don't need to know about any topics.

That said, when studying, I keep a running list of words that I want to look up. Its been pretty helpful and probably would have the effect you are looking for.

Cool, I will try out the list, sounds like a good way to discover more about relevant topics. I get that you don't need to know the topics, it's just that on the topics that I have a background understanding on I make it through the passsage quicker and the information sticks better too. Eg when an author is talking about the relationship between platelets and heart disease it just clicks for me. Whereas there was this one passage in PT33 about common law and evidence and it took a bit more processing to get the relationships for that section, so I figure a little orientation with key concepts won't hurt, given how common these passages are.

Postby 052220151 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:49 am

doorsal wrote:
rebexness wrote:
doorsal wrote:How does the bubbling sheet work during the test? Do you get the chance to fill out your details before the test begins? I am trying to work out how long it would take me to transfer my answers.

Secondly, does anyone have any ideas on where I can do some readings about jurispudence online? Ive been doing RC and have noticed that this is the topic that gives me the most difficulty because I dont have as much familiarity with it as the other topics. Right now im thinking wikipedia.

You don't need to know about any topics.

That said, when studying, I keep a running list of words that I want to look up. Its been pretty helpful and probably would have the effect you are looking for.

Cool, I will try out the list, sounds like a good way to discover more about relevant topics. I get that you don't need to know the topics, it's just that on the topics that I have a background understanding on I make it through the passsage quicker and the information sticks better too. Eg when an author is talking about the relationship between platelets and heart disease it just clicks for me. Whereas there was this one passage in PT33 about common law and evidence and it took a bit more processing to get the relationships for that section, so I figure a little orientation with key concepts won't hurt, given how common these passages are.

It's still a waste of time. Drill RC, it's boring as hell, but it helps. RC is the section I struggle with the most, it is definitely a section that you can improve. Familiarity with the subject isn't what gets you a better score though, it's familiarity with the test.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:38 pm

Wish I wasn't officially joining you all, but alas, February didn't quite go as planned. So here I am.

Anyone have any tips for refreshing studying enthusiasm after one's first LSAT? Finding it hard to throw myself back in the game. Also struggling with where I'm going to find the time to study, given schoolwork.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:41 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Wish I wasn't officially joining you all, but alas, February didn't quite go as planned. So here I am.

Anyone have any tips for refreshing studying enthusiasm after one's first LSAT? Finding it hard to throw myself back in the game. Also struggling with where I'm going to find the time to study, given schoolwork.

Not able to give you any advices but welcome on board.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:43 pm

If anyone has any questions from PT 52, now is the time, actually, since I'm going to be reviewing all afternoon, any and all questions are welcome, but especially 52 or 66. Hit me with your best shot.

And welcome to the club MDLG
Last edited by Daily_Double on Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:03 pm

One of the most classic flaw stimuli I have ever seen, give it a shot:

A study of 1000 fraternity men found that those who drank throughout the day suffered from alcoholism more frequently than those who did not. So it is very likely that drinking tends to cause alcoholism.

The reasoning in the psychologist's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:Wish I wasn't officially joining you all, but alas, February didn't quite go as planned. So here I am.

You just have to do it. Plenty of retakers ITT, so at least you're in good company.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:15 pm

Daily_Double wrote:One of the most classic flaw stimuli I have ever seen, give it a shot:

A study of 1000 fraternity men found that those who drank throughout the day suffered from alcoholism more frequently than those who did not. So it is very likely that drinking tends to cause alcoholism.

The reasoning in the psychologist's argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument

Presuppose without warrant that two concurrent situation is in fact caused by one or another ( nah, this is so not lsac)

Also I would argue this 1000 men sample is not representative.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:17 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:One of the most classic flaw stimuli I have ever seen, give it a shot:

Presuppose without warrant that two concurrent situation is in fact caused by one or another ( nah, this is so not lsac)

Also I would argue this 1000 men sample is not representative.

Very true, I designed it to lead to two alternative answer topics, you got one, unrepresentative sample, but I'm not a big fan of your first answer. Look a little closer, you can get the other one.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Takes a correlation between frequent day drinking and alcoholism as evidence that the former causes the latter.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 pm

Draws too general a conclusion. Data on drinking during/throughout the day does not warrant a conclusion concerning drinking generally.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:23 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:

Takes a correlation between frequent day drinking and alcoholism as evidence that the former causes the latter.

Boom. Now what's another way to phrase it? I'll give you a hint, it fails to consider the possibility that...

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Draws too general a conclusion. Data on drinking during/throughout the day does not warrant a conclusion concerning drinking generally.

Also true, but that way my bad, I meant to include day drinking in the core. But valid point.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Assumes that genetic predisposition to Alcoholism doesnt cause Day-Drinking amongst the fraternal elite.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 pm

It fails to consider that drinking during the day and alcoholism can be caused by other factors.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:

Boom. Now what's another way to phrase it? I'll give you a hint, it fails to consider the possibility that...

That being alcoholic may cause one to drink during the day (as opposed to those who drink throughout the day are going to become alcoholics)

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:29 pm

crazyrobin wrote:It fails to consider that drinking during the day and alcoholism can be caused by other factors.

Good points all around, bdeans91, very close. This is in line with what I was looking for, and what the answer to the question I based this off is: It fails to consider the possibility that alcoholism is the cause of day drinking.

Whenever you have a correlation supporting causation, the flaw will likely be that the stated effect is in fact the cause, and the stated cause is in fact the effect, or that a third factor causes both. Alternatively, if this were a weaken question, the answer might be an answer which mentions facts that show the cause does not always produce the affect.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Does anyone find that when they drill LR questions by type/difficulty, the highest difficulty LR questions are more about understanding archaic language and superfluous wording than actually comprehending the arguments at hand?

I find that with the higher level questions, say for Flaw, I can pre-phrase an answer and immediately recognize the flaw, but the wording of the answer options is just so damn awkward.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:44 pm

Also as a quick tip for those of you who are still drilling and/or pressed for time on LR: work on the assumption family. Why? Because assumption stimuli are the easiest to come up with a potential answer for. They all have a gap, the correct answer will always address that gap. Put in your time on the assumption family and you'll finish them faster, these stimuli types are easily 1/3 of LR sections, don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's somewhat accurate, if not understating the truth. If you finish assumption questions faster, you'll have more time for inference and matching.

As a side note, I really like diagramming/notating matching questions, they're really not hard once you get the hang of them.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:45 pm

bdeans91 wrote:Does anyone find that when they drill LR questions by type/difficulty, the highest difficulty LR questions are more about understanding archaic language and superfluous wording than actually comprehending the arguments at hand?

I find that with the higher level questions, say for Flaw, I can pre-phrase an answer and immediately recognize the flaw, but the wording of the answer options is just so damn awkward.

You're right. I've never thought about it like that. How complicated can the reasoning really get in a 2-5 sentence paragraph? Four conditional statements is about as dense as it gets.

LR is mostly about decoding the stimulus and translating it into basic logical terms.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:45 pm

bdeans91 wrote:Does anyone find that when they drill LR questions by type/difficulty, the highest difficulty LR questions are more about understanding archaic language and superfluous wording than actually comprehending the arguments at hand?

Yes and yes. Not only wording in the ACs, wording in stimulus is freaking bizarre. PTs after 30 are so much better.

Kool-Aid

Postby Kool-Aid » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:46 pm

I haven't posted in a bit but have been following the progress of this thread. I figured I give a little update on my own progress or lack there of haha.

After a 173 on pt 53, I've went 164,166,164,169 on pts 55,58,51, and 60 respectively. I'm taking a pt every Wednesday and Saturday, and will continue to do so up until June. I'll probably start adding an experimental section next week.

I'm still trying to find an ideal way to warm up before each test, because my first section (which has been LR on each of the tests I've taken) has been my worst overall section scoring wise. Anybody have any advice on warming up before taking a pt?

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:50 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Also as a quick tip for those of you who are still drilling and/or pressed for time on LR: work on the assumption family. Why? Because assumption stimuli are the easiest to come up with a potential answer for. They all have a gap, the correct answer will always address that gap. Put in your time on the assumption family and you'll finish them faster, these stimuli types are easily 1/3 of LR sections, don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that's somewhat accurate, if not understating the truth. If you finish assumption questions faster, you'll have more time for inference and matching.

As a side note, I really like diagramming/notating matching questions, they're really not hard once you get the hang of them.

Oddly I am really good at inference Qs, matching is what throw me off now. Also I have trouble decoding some assumption family stimulus, I somewhat have to read twice to grasp the pivotal idea.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”