JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

objection_your_honor

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:52 pm

One section to go on it. Surprised to see that game #4 was basically solved given the rules. The store placement game was pretty close too, but I ended up drawing out at least two hypos per question.

Feeling pretty good about it, but I could be off.

EDIT: I did think the final two RC passages were difficult.

TheRealJoshuaLyman

Postby TheRealJoshuaLyman » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Super excited - I had previously been getting about -8 or -7 on Reading Comp (normally at the end when I ran out of time). Changed up my process taking advice from Manhattan RC and included very minimal writing on the passage and a summarizing sentence at the end of each paragraph...did a -3 on my PT today! I still have a long way to go, but I am so excited to get that low on RC today!!

mqt

Postby mqt » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

So, I've decided to sit out the current cycle, and have nothing better to do with my time, so I'm retaking in June, using Noodly's method. Just getting in here to self-motivate. About to order some PTs and guides. Pretty sad to no longer be done with the LSAT portion of my life.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 pm

PT 66

RC: -2
LR: -2
LG: -1
LR: -4 (!!!)

91 / 171

Timing issues on LR2. First time using bubble sheet.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:03 pm

bdeans91 wrote:Hey guys I'm doing my first round of Grouping questions (learned it on Tuesday)

I've done about 35 total Grouping games but no repeats, and I'm still taking about 10-11 minutes on a lot of the games, although I'm getting only -0's for the most part, sometimes -1.

Should I be worried and should I be making adjustments to my approach or do you think repeating the games will be good enough to speed me up?

Nope. Speed will come with accuracy, so just keep at it.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:19 pm

To echo what a couple of posters have been saying: I really like the newer RC sections. I had heard that they were supposed to be more difficult, but I have found the opposite to be true. Yes, the passages themselves are tougher, but the questions are much less ambiguous, and I no longer find myself stuck between two seemingly identical answers all the time. 9/10 RC questions I missed were ones where I had narrowed it down to 50/50, and missed some pedantic phrasing.

Hoping to crack 175 on PT 66 tomorrow!

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:14 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Just finished reviewing PT 66, extra time on everything, went straight through it because I was feeling great about this test, literally the most confident I've felt on any PT, did anyone else think this one was easy? (Sorry in advance to the retakers, but this one didn't really have any curveballs) Also I didn't use a fifth section, why, because I need a nap.

PT 66: Raw 99, Scaled 180
RC -1, #2, I should have gotten this one.
LR: -0
LG: -0

Also, second 180 this semester. Count em.

Even thought u are pissed off about studying w me,i got to say i am jealous of your 180 and will catch up w you,when are u guys doing a review,i wanna do that w you guys?

kmc

Postby kmc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Just finished reviewing PT 66, extra time on everything, went straight through it because I was feeling great about this test, literally the most confident I've felt on any PT, did anyone else think this one was easy? (Sorry in advance to the retakers, but this one didn't really have any curveballs) Also I didn't use a fifth section, why, because I need a nap.

dayum. and certainly not your last. way to kick ass.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Man, having a GPA that puts you out of the running for HYS is demoralizing as hell sometimes. It's as though all this work is going simply to give myself a 95% chance at Columbia instead of an 80% chance. Don't get me wrong, that's a nice edge to have, I just wish I had something more to shoot for. If not HYS, then at least a shot at a T10 full-ride.

#TLSproblems

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Man, having a GPA that puts you out of the running for HYS is demoralizing as hell sometimes. It's as though all this work is going simply to give myself a 95% chance at Columbia instead of an 80% chance. Don't get me wrong, that's a nice edge to have, I just wish I had something more to shoot for. If not HYS, then at least a shot at a T10 full-ride.

#TLSproblems

I'm in the same boat. My LSAC GPA is pretty terrible, due to having too much fun freshman and sophomore year, plus making the error of being pre-med at the time, then I started trying and switched to business, so my major GPA is a 3.89, sadly I doubt that matters very much.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:23 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Man, having a GPA that puts you out of the running for HYS is demoralizing as hell sometimes. It's as though all this work is going simply to give myself a 95% chance at Columbia instead of an 80% chance. Don't get me wrong, that's a nice edge to have, I just wish I had something more to shoot for. If not HYS, then at least a shot at a T10 full-ride.

#TLSproblems

My GPA I think is a 4.03 according to LSAC. My school shows grades in terms of % and letter grade, so LSAC will take the letter grade correct?

If so, then yes my GPA is a 4.03.

A few questions about GPA actually (I'm from Canada so I'm unsure):

(1) What kind of LSAT do I need for HYS and other T-10 schools w/ my GPA?

(2) If I apply in November of my 4th year (so my second last semester), will they only count my grades up until that point in my GPA, or will they update it when I graduate? And do I need to maintain my grades after application? If they don't count 4th year grades then I'm going in with 4.03!!!

Thanks guys. I've been mostly focused on Canadian law schools but I think I could get into Harvard if I got a decent LSAT.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:08 am

was this june '12? if so yes - that test was a huge joke

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:19 am

armedwithamind wrote:

was this june '12? if so yes - that test was a huge joke

Yeah, June 2012, it was almost weird because 67 had a couple tricky ones, but in 66, it was just like LSAC just scrambled some shit together and put 66 on the front.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:48 am

I think PT 66 was June 2011, no?

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:54 am

weathercoins wrote:I think PT 66 was June 2011, no?

Nope, google says it's June 2012

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

Weird, I took June 2011 and was sure that was PT 66. Thanks.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

weathercoins wrote:Weird, I took June 2011 and was sure that was PT 66. Thanks.

Think about it 68 December 2012, 67 October, 66 June.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:20 pm

bdeans91 wrote:

#TLSproblems

My GPA I think is a 4.03 according to LSAC. My school shows grades in terms of % and letter grade, so LSAC will take the letter grade correct?

If so, then yes my GPA is a 4.03.

A few questions about GPA actually (I'm from Canada so I'm unsure):

(1) What kind of LSAT do I need for HYS and other T-10 schools w/ my GPA?

(2) If I apply in November of my 4th year (so my second last semester), will they only count my grades up until that point in my GPA, or will they update it when I graduate? And do I need to maintain my grades after application? If they don't count 4th year grades then I'm going in with 4.03!!!

Thanks guys. I've been mostly focused on Canadian law schools but I think I could get into Harvard if I got a decent LSAT.

I think you're right about your GPA, I'd suspect that with a score above 172, you would have a good shot, but I'm no expert in law school admissions. Play the numbers game.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:21 pm

A 171 should get you in to varying T-10. For HYS I would say at least a 173 to have a shot, but obviously there is no guarantee. You could get a 180 and still miss HYS.

pinkertonrl

Postby pinkertonrl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:56 pm

I am so confused! I am taking the LSAT in June and was going to sign up for the Kaplan test prep online class, however after reading on many of these forums, I am seeing that there are better alternatives such as the Manhattan test prep courses and books. I am brand new to this whole pre law school histeria as I am coming out fo school this year with a mechanical and nucear engineering degree and just recently decided to pursue the law route. I was wondering what everyone recommends as far as test prep books and courses. Also, I see much regarding practice tests such as specific tests (i.e. 39-68). Where can I find these tests in particular so that I can continue in my studies? Thanks all.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:00 pm

pinkertonrl wrote:I am so confused! I am taking the LSAT in June and was going to sign up for the Kaplan test prep online class, however after reading on many of these forums, I am seeing that there are better alternatives such as the Manhattan test prep courses and books. I am brand new to this whole pre law school histeria as I am coming out fo school this year with a mechanical and nucear engineering degree and just recently decided to pursue the law route. I was wondering what everyone recommends as far as test prep books and courses. Also, I see much regarding practice tests such as specific tests (i.e. 39-68). Where can I find these tests in particular so that I can continue in my studies? Thanks all.

I'm not suggesting that you should give up on June. But I posted in the October Thread, and it's relevant to your interests, hopefully it answers many of your questions.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Due to popular demand I've got another one for you guys. This one's a classic member of the assumption family:

Company Spokesperson: Although Rotten Tomatoes magazine is written by educated and qualified critics, their claims that our movie Blue Crush II, does not contain any desirable qualities in any amounts is incorrect. This attack on the quality of our production is undermined by the reviews of the millions of Blue Crush II movie goers who are satisfied with the production.

Which one of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:40 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Due to popular demand I've got another one for you guys. This one's a classic member of the assumption family:

Company Spokesperson: Although Rotten Tomatoes magazine is written by educated and qualified critics, their claims that our movie Blue Crush II, does not contain any desirable qualities in any amounts is incorrect. This attack on the quality of our production is undermined by the reviews of the millions of Blue Crush II movie goers who are satisfied with the production.

"the reviews of the millions of Blue Crush II movie goers who are satisfied with the production" represent only a small percent of people that have seen the production

or

Many millions more have reported being dissatisfied with the production.

Also, those who have gone to see the movie for the most part have a biased opinion, and the group is unrepresentative (outside biases like having seen the first one, and now have built up anticipation, etc...)

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Due to popular demand I've got another one for you guys. This one's a classic member of the assumption family:

[generic answer letter]. Recent studies have shown some people satisfied with (random other movie name, or Blue Crush II) that could not name a single desirable quality in the film.

EDIT: I see Griffin's post above, and like his answers too. I was playing off the fact that being satisfied does not necessarily mean (or is not sufficient to) being able to name desirable qualities. Looks like this could go several ways?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:45 pm

Yeah, it can go many different way, as most weaken questions can do. Good points so far.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”