JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

bdeans91

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby bdeans91 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:52 pm

eliztudorr wrote:a question for everyone. When you are reviewing for past wrong questions what exactly do you do? thanks!

I do it pretty quickly. Usually review it fresh (within 24 hours, usually immediately), and then log the incorrect pattern of thought into a "Weak Point Analysis" file for each respective section type.

I almost never care about the specific question (because I won't see it on the LSAT I write in June), but instead the pattern of thought that screwed me over. Use it as a reference experience so that I don't use the same incorrect line of thinking again. It is absolutely unbelievable how effective this has been.

Here is an example for you:

General

• Process: read game while setting up diagram and variables, write down rules, plug rules into diagram, make essential inferences, do questions (and use hypotheticalfs when the questions are not initially easy via setup)
• Solid inferences end up becoming essential!! You need to always scan for if inferences are available since they end up saving time, but you can skip out on inferences if they don’t pop out, there are none to be made, or they will take too long and are too sketchy. Learn how to recognize when inferences are and aren’t possible.
o Remember that, in many cases, an extra 2 minutes of setup/inferences could save you 5 total minutes of answering questions.
o Do the inferences unless the time to do them takes longer than the time it may save
• Only make an inference if you are quite certain about it. Making a brash inference will mess you up and you will need to restart the game
• When you are initially reading the game, always be writing stuff down. Don’t sit there passively, because it could waste up to a minute. If at least be writing down the variable sets, the rules, or making inferences.
• Don’t expect inferences to do something for you. Especially on local games, sometimes you just need to do a hypothetical based on the conditions.
• Make sure you familiarize yourself well with the rules!!!
• If you do a hypothetical and it answers the question, you don’t need to double check. Just take it!
• Don’t mess up the initial rules! Good example is rule 1 of PT 1, game 2! Easy to mess that up.
• First check if you can answer the question quickly, and if not, then is the right time to diagram and do hypotheticals
• Make sure you don’t gloss over and/or miss rules (examples: PT 2, Game 2, Rule 5 and question 12… PT 15, Game 3, Rule 3 and question 16)
• Read the rules carefully (especially wording)
o For instance, PT 15 game 1 → “The speeches delivered by HJK no matter what their order, cannot form a sequence of three consecutive speeches”. This doesn’t mean JK or HK can’t be together. It is only violated if all 3 in a row.
• Read questions carefully – maybe underline key words like EXCEPT, CAN, MUST, CANNOT, etc. to etch it in your head. Sometimes you are searching for what cannot be true when they ask what can, etc.
o Don’t gloss over the questions when initially reading them
o “EXCEPT” can get you
o “ONLY” is a key word (see PT 15, game 3, question 17 – if you ignore ‘only’ it screws you over)
o Don’t confuse people’s names!!! Or letters in general!!!
o Jumping to conclusions and skipping reading the entire question can screw you over
o Example of fucking yourself over: PT 10, Game 2, Question 16 – answered it if it was asking what “CANNOT” be true, even though it asks for what CAN be true
• Speed is a little bit of a weak point.
• Don’t get lazy with diagramming “not laws”!
• Just like LR, tempting answers will be put down before the right answer. Make sure you look at them ALL! (Example: PT 23, Game 1, questions 2 and 4).
• Don’t make up rules in your head, especially for local questions!!! And for local questions, be clear on the new rules/conditionals addressed!!!
o Example of creating a general made up rule is in PT 29, game 4… on question 23 I somehow made up in my head that P had to come after O, which made no sense based on the rules!
• You can use past answers to help you fill in scenarios for later questions! Example: PT 34, game 3
• Know the difference between “exactly” and “at least” (again, read the rules carefully): J being exactly 2 groups behind G is not the same as being at least 2 groups behind G.
• Do not fuck up the initial diagram, or this will cause huge problems. You can sacrifice a little time to be careful here. Example is your initial attempt of PT 29, Game 3 (lost 2 minutes here for confusing H with G).
• Make sure you actually look back at the rules, otherwise why write them out?
• Always mini-diagram when new rules are introduced or sample ordering/grouping would help answer the question. Mini-diagram next to the question, not at the master diagram.
• Don’t just sit there waiting for your inferences to answer a question. Sometimes you have to just take action and do something. Hypothetical or what have you.

Linear Games

Grouping Games

• Grouping: make a separate list for rules and inferences (one column for each). List out all of the rules first, and THEN the inferences.
o As a matter of fact, do the same for Linear as well… Always write out the initial rules and then make inferences on conditionals and such…
• General and especially Grouping/Conditionals: recycle inferences! But at the same time, there comes a point where you must ask yourself about the time/information trade-offs. If you have enough information to attack the questions, then using time for extra inferences is likely more damaging than it is good.
• If it is a Moving game, don’t try to peg down all of the slots!!! Always leads to wasted time…
• Be aware of the numerical distribution!!! Key in almost every game.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:44 am

did anyone try the 4th game of PT67? i can do it slowly..but just want to know if there are any inferences or something....thanks. my head got all fried up...is it just me or the games got a bit crazy after they gave more space....since last oct or something.

samplekid

Postby samplekid » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:24 am

rebexness wrote:
samplekid wrote:I'm just wondering that if I really want to BEAST this LSAT, will this 3 month period of time be enough time to focus on it. I will be working full time from April until test time in a busy, upscale restaurant

How much time per day/week do you think you could devote to studying?

Not really sure...At least 2 a day every day. At least thats what I hope.

So three months of this... how far do you think I can improve my Feb 162?

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 am

When are u guys doing the review for test 52?I wanna take part in it.

MS415

Postby MS415 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:13 am

So, I'm the guy who got a 152 on the actual Feb 2013 LSAT after PTing at 163+. Anyway, this time around...I am keeping an eye on consistency. My general plan of attack:

March ( what's left of it)

1. Reread LR bible
2. Finally Read RC Bible ( never read it)
3. Do one PT every Saturday untimed, just to refresh my skills.

April

1. Start doing timed sections ( not whole tests)
2. Practice harder questions in Kaplan 180 book ( did parts of this book but will finish now)
3. Redo harder questions in Outside LSAT Advanced questions ( I did this book already but will just do to refresh my skills)
4. Might reread trouble areas in LG bible ( depending on my diagnostic untimed tomorrow)

May
1. Do timed tests every saturday
2. Keep an eye on consistency.
3. Make sure I am applying skills while retaining timing, accuracy, and confidence.

June
1. Prepare test materials
2. Get in the right psyche
3. Light review of strategies

What do you guys think?

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:26 am

MS415 wrote:So, I'm the guy who got a 152 on the actual Feb 2013 LSAT after PTing at 163+. Anyway, this time around...I am keeping an eye on consistency. My general plan of attack:

1. Reread LR bible

April

2. Practice harder questions in Kaplan 180 book ( did parts of this book but will finish now)
3. Redo harder questions in Outside LSAT Advanced questions ( I did this book already but will just do to refresh my skills)
4. Might reread trouble areas in LG bible ( depending on my diagnostic untimed tomorrow)

May
3. Make sure I am applying skills while retaining timing, accuracy, and confidence.

June

What do you guys think?

I keep reading that the RC Bible is a waste of time, so maybe look into that. I skimmed through Manhattan and it wasn't bad. Also, a friend of mine made huge improvements on RC with Velocity.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:30 am

Daily_Double wrote:
bdeans91 wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Another fun one for you guys:

When Noah goes to work hungover, he doesn't get anything done. Noah stayed out until 7:00 AM this morning, and yet, even though he went to the bathroom 20 times, slept under his desk twice, watched videos of Kate Upton for three hours, and left early, he finished all of his assignments before the interns did.

Which of the following if true does most to resolve the apparent discrepancy above?

He had few or no assignments (like 30 minutes worth of work).

If he was hungover, he would have gotten 0 done.

Good points, I designed, or tried to design, the stimulus to lead one to the inference, that since Noah did work, he was not hungover. So either he was not hungover and was tired/upset stomach/lazy.

That was my first thought when I read it. I was quite surprised to see it to be a paradox question. but nicely done on the switch on the staying out and being hungover.

MS415

Postby MS415 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:32 am

superdingle2000 wrote:
MS415 wrote:So, I'm the guy who got a 152 on the actual Feb 2013 LSAT after PTing at 163+. Anyway, this time around...I am keeping an eye on consistency. My general plan of attack:

1. Reread LR bible

April

May

June

What do you guys think?

I keep reading that the RC Bible is a waste of time, so maybe look into that. I skimmed through Manhattan and it wasn't bad. Also, a friend of mine made huge improvements on RC with Velocity.

Let me know how Manhattan works out for you. Before knowing that I was naturally good at RC (I would get 20-23 correct consistently) without any prep at all, I bought the RC bible. So, I figured...why prep? So, I bought the bible but never read it. Now, I'll see what the bible can teach me in terms of those last 3 -4 problems i keep missing.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:35 pm

eliztudorr wrote:a question for everyone. When you are reviewing for past wrong questions what exactly do you do? thanks!

First off, my process begins before I even take the test. I rip the answer page out and leave it at home. Then I take the test, time it using a proctor app, and after I finish the test, I basically do it again. I use blank pages when I go back over the questions, Dozo had some good points, I do something similar. For LR, pursuant to my analysis of the families, which is probably ten pages back, if the stem classifies the question as a member of the assumption family, I identify the gap, I come up with a few answer choices, then note how my answer relates to the gap. If inference, then I note how the wrong answers are unsupported, how they use poor logic, mistaken causation, etc. and how my answer is supported by the stimulus. If matching, then I note how the argument proceeds, and how my answer replicated the stimulus. I don't really spend a bunch of time on games because I haven't missed anything in a while. But for RC, I do the entire Manhattan scale for each I note subtle shifts in the author's tone, how the argument proceeds, what the main point is, what the author would agree with, how the views in the passage interact, what part of the passage supports my answer for inference questions, and a couple other things.

It takes forever, but it has paid off.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:40 pm

Daily_Double wrote:

First off, my process begins before I even take the test. I rip the answer page out and leave it at home. Then I take the test, time it using a proctor app, and after I finish the test, I basically do it again. I use blank pages when I go back over the questions, Dozo had some good points, I do something similar. For LR, pursuant to my analysis of the families, which is probably ten pages back, if the stem classifies the question as a member of the assumption family, I identify the gap, I come up with a few answer choices, then note how my answer relates to the gap. If inference, then I note how the wrong answers are unsupported, how they use poor logic, mistaken causation, etc. and how my answer is supported by the stimulus. If matching, then I note how the argument proceeds, and how my answer replicated the stimulus. I don't really spend a bunch of time on games because I haven't missed anything in a while. But for RC, I do the entire Manhattan scale for each I note subtle shifts in the author's tone, how the argument proceeds, what the main point is, what the author would agree with, how the views in the passage interact, what part of the passage supports my answer for inference questions, and a couple other things.

really appreciate it. im going to go back to the pt i did this wk and do exactly this. but it does sound a lot ><" uhhhhhhhhh

have you guys tried the "memorizing" RC training thing from 7sage? basically its just reading, after each paragraph you come up with a summary. after reading the whole passage you get a piece of paper and recite the summaries. then answer questions.

i looked it up yesterday and thought its pretty good though haven't tried it. just want to see if any of you have tried it and what you think. im an ESL so...i really have trouble "understanding" passages. does any of you have tips? or anything? its very annoying knowing how this test totally exposes my weakness which i've been hiding behind my business major during 4 years of college( barely had to read..because everything's powerpt, bullet points and numbers)...its very saddening..but i really am trying to get myself into law school.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:51 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

really appreciate it. im going to go back to the pt i did this wk and do exactly this. but it does sound a lot ><" uhhhhhhhhh

have you guys tried the "memorizing" RC training thing from 7sage? basically its just reading, after each paragraph you come up with a summary. after reading the whole passage you get a piece of paper and recite the summaries. then answer questions.

i looked it up yesterday and thought its pretty good though haven't tried it. just want to see if any of you have tried it and what you think. im an ESL so...i really have trouble "understanding" passages. does any of you have tips? or anything? its very annoying knowing how this test totally exposes my weakness which i've been hiding behind my business major during 4 years of college( barely had to read..because everything's powerpt, bullet points and numbers)...its very saddening..but i really am trying to get myself into law school.

Read as much as you can in your spare time and if you come across a word and you're not sure of its meaning, look that shit up.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:07 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

Read as much as you can in your spare time and if you come across a word and you're not sure of its meaning, look that shit up.

DD, Cardozo, and the rest of you, are seriously my God. i worship you guys and this forum....i can say im seriously addicted LOL this thread is what i check the first thing in the morning, and before i sleep and any chance i get during. lol

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Test 11, Section 3, Question 23

Does anyone mind explaining this one to me? It wasn't even answer I considered, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:22 pm

phillywc wrote:Test 11, Section 3, Question 23

Does anyone mind explaining this one to me? It wasn't even answer I considered, am I missing something obvious?

Thanks.

Nice, an RC question, about damn time. So what I'm going to do is break down the argument how I approached it, then write down how I tackle the answers.

Survey says numerous specialties, yet, most historians still say women medieval practitioners are the same as midwifes. Author hates this because women did a bunch, supported by the W and J study.

Author says people MUST do something. Followed by a question: is the data the problem or is it the methods. Author thinks it's both. Author says they should broaden their scope, supported by P and W's study.

Author lists a few things, the says doing them could be beneficial to our understanding of women medieval practitioners.

So basically, the author is saying that the historians are doing it wrong, and argues for different methods. For example, Gottfried did a study which the author says wasn't up to par because it didn't broaden it's scope of the term medical practitioner.

PT 11, S3, Q23

Now moving to 23: The author says that women medical practitioners were many more things than midwifes, so I'm looking for something broad then to something smaller but still a part of the first thing.

A: Nope, not part of the first thing, plus not broad
B: Maybe, I like it... So we're back to B.
C: Nope, this isn't the relationship we're looking for
D: No, all midwifes are medieval medical practitioners, but not all medieval medical practitioners are midwifes.
E: Nope, eliminated for the same reason as C

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
phillywc wrote:Test 11, Section 3, Question 23

Thanks.

PT 11, S3, Q23

Now moving to 23: The author says that women medical practitioners were many more things than midwifes, so I'm looking for something broad then to something smaller but still a part of the first thing.

A: Nope, not part of the first thing, plus not broad
B: Maybe, I like it... So we're back to B.
C: Nope, this isn't the relationship we're looking for
D: No, all midwifes are medieval medical practitioners, but not all medieval medical practitioners are midwifes.
E: Nope, eliminated for the same reason as C

That makes sense the way you phrased it. For whatever reason, I was sitting there trying to decide between C,D,E. I'm usually pretty good at RC but this one threw me for a loop.

Thanks!

kmc

Postby kmc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:45 pm

are folks actually still following either of the schedules in the second post?

just took my first full-length PT since taking the feb test:

PT 52:
LR1: -3
LG: -0
LR2: -3
RC: -1

... i guess the RC drilling i did between the feb test and now paid off, but my LR suffered as a result (before, those numbers would look more like LR: -1, RC -6), so... LRB and i are about to become pals again.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 pm

kmc wrote:are folks actually still following either of the schedules in the second post?

just took my first full-length PT since taking the feb test:

PT 52:
LR1: -3
LR2: -3
RC: -1

... i guess the RC drilling i did between the feb test and now paid off, but my LR suffered as a result (before, those numbers would look more like LR: -1, RC -6), so... LRB and i are about to become pals again.

Great work. Have you seen PT 52 before? Also I'm still following my schedule, but I'm a little behind, which I expected from the beginning, due to schoolwork, happy hour, and the obnoxious amount of time I spend reviewing previous PTs.

kmc

Postby kmc » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:07 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Great work. Have you seen PT 52 before? Also I'm still following my schedule, but I'm a little behind, which I expected from the beginning, due to schoolwork, happy hour, and the obnoxious amount of time I spend reviewing previous PTs.

nope. i admit: i didn't find tls until i was spazzing out right after the test in feb. so, while i was smart enough to prep with some PTs, i think i only did 5, maybe 7? however many, it was not enough. ha.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Very hungover, I'm going to do a few old games, if I finish them in less than six minutes and -0, then I'll take PT 66.

kmc

Postby kmc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:42 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Very hungover, I'm going to do a few old games, if I finish them in less than six minutes and -0, then I'll take PT 66.

+1. bloody mary for brunch? bloody mary for brunch.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

kmc wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Very hungover, I'm going to do a few old games, if I finish them in less than six minutes and -0, then I'll take PT 66.

+1. bloody mary for brunch? bloody mary for brunch.

I satisfied my complex sufficient condition, so it's time for PT 66, using PT 38's RC as a fifth.

Fianna13

Postby Fianna13 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:53 pm

just took PT 60. contrary to what people said, I didn't think RC's difficulty changed much at all. I actually thought the answer choices are so tightly worded that makes things easier. Felt good about both LRs also. LGs on the hand, ugh. they weren't hard at all, but I just tend to screw up on LG, I actually really enjoyed the mud. taking a quick break, then time for blind review, i'll come back with my score later. hopefully not below 165.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:48 pm

Hey guys I'm doing my first round of Grouping questions (learned it on Tuesday)

I've done about 35 total Grouping games but no repeats, and I'm still taking about 10-11 minutes on a lot of the games, although I'm getting only -0's for the most part, sometimes -1.

Should I be worried and should I be making adjustments to my approach or do you think repeating the games will be good enough to speed me up?

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:50 pm

Barely did anything LSAT related this weekend other than drill a few paradox questions :/ Getting back on the grind tonight and plan on going hard this week to make up for a relatively lazy weekend. Let's Get It!

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:31 pm

Just finished reviewing PT 66, extra time on everything, went straight through it because I was feeling great about this test, literally the most confident I've felt on any PT, did anyone else think this one was easy? (Sorry in advance to the retakers, but this one didn't really have any curveballs) Also I didn't use a fifth section, why, because I need a nap.

PT 66: Raw 99, Scaled 180
RC -1, #2, I should have gotten this one.
LR: -0
LR: -0

Also, second 180 this semester. Count em.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”