JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Fianna13

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Fianna13 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:LR drilling really depends on the type of question. I could do Resolve the Paradox, or Point at Issue for hours on end. But give me Conditional Reasoning, or Principle questions, and I am dying after 10 or so.

LG is actually a lot of fun as long as you shuffle-up the question types. At least until you are redoing the same game for the 3rd or 4th time.

I've never actually tried drilling RC. I assume it would be tolerable, but only because it's the section that I really need to improve on.

completely opposite of you. Could drill conditional reasoning and principle all day long. Gave up half way through half way through the cambridge packet. :/ I actually have to say RC drilling is pretty fun, LG on the otherhand can kiss my ass

0913djp

Postby 0913djp » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 pm

After a nice little break from actual serious prep...I am back on the grind. Drilled three LGs that gave me fits and got one wrong on two of them and none on the last, all in seven minutes or less. Off to finish a couple chapters in the MLSAT LR book.

The rest of March is going to be crucial.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:23 pm

Guerrilla Logic wrote:take a look at PT 23, S3, #10
LR strengthen question

why does B strengthen? is this one of those anticipates a challenge answers or something? I went through the answers 3 times and could not pick one that strengthened and went with B as a best guess but still scratching my head.

PT 23, S3, #10: Strengthen

Core: If people walk whenever they can, then pollution will be significantly reduced

p1: If walk and not drive ---> less pollution

So just looking at it, I see a few things wrong, first off, the argument holds all things constant, and basically says, this thing contributes to pollution, so if we take that away, then there will be much less pollution. But what if, somehow, by not driving (walking everywhere) pollution does not decrease? Also it assumes that people do not already walk whenever they can. (I don't have the answers in front of me, but I'm positive that E addresses that in #9)

Moving to the answers:

A: Eliminate, this weakens hard

B: Hmm, this is relevant to my initial analysis of the argument, keep it.... Boom, this strengthen.

C: Weakens, only slightly though, due to the phrase it is possible, eliminate

D: Doesn't impact the core, eliminate

E: Weakens, slightly, due to the phrase it is possible, eliminate

Alright, so more on B. As you can tell I liked it initially, saved it, eliminated the rest, reviewed it and confirmed my suspicion that it strengthens. It strengthens because it addressed the underlying assumption that all other forms of pollution stay the same. If people walk and not drive, then congestion will decrease, and the amount of nonmoving vehicles will decrease. Think about waking up hungover, emailing your boss that you'll be be in at 9:30 from your phone, drinking your vitamin water, buying a shitty breakfast burrito, then heading to work at 9:15 AM, you might not make it. Traffic sucks at 9:00/9:15 AM, bumper to bumper all the way (congestion). But if all those people in front of you walked to work instead of driving, there would be less non-moving vehicles, leading to less congestion, leading to less pollution. B hits the gap on its head.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Another fun one for you guys:

When Noah goes to work hungover, he doesn't get anything done. Noah stayed out until 7:00 AM this morning, and yet, even though he went to the bathroom 20 times, slept under his desk twice, watched videos of Kate Upton for three hours, and left early, he finished all of his assignments before the interns did.

Which of the following if true does most to resolve the apparent discrepancy above?

phillywc

Postby phillywc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Just had my worst PT since diagnostic...

PT10
LR1 -3
LG -6 (?!)
RC -1
LR2 -2

I have been using my own strategy for mapping LG problems and this is the first time it really came back to bite me because my diagram for the second game was incredibly inefficient and prevented me from seeing some obvious answers. Also missed a few questions due to going too quickly or just because they are super confusing (i think i read Section 4 Question 24 5 or 6 times and I still don't entirely get it).

Also either the curve on PT10 was super hard or the ones I've been taking so far have had very easy curves. Only a sample size of 4 so it's hard to tell but jeez. 169 looks so ugly on my excel chart :(

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Another fun one for you guys:

When Noah goes to work hungover, he doesn't get anything done. Noah stayed out until 7:00 AM this morning, and yet, even though he went to the bathroom 20 times, slept under his desk twice, watched videos of Kate Upton for three hours, and left early, he finished all of his assignments before the interns did.

Which of the following if true does most to resolve the apparent discrepancy above?

Noah had a breakfast Bloody and maintained productivity.
Or.
Noah was the Designated Driver.
or.
Noah had only one assignment vs the interns having 8367463857.
Last edited by rebexness on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samplekid

Postby samplekid » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Alright, just found out my score (162) on the Feb test. I studied for a couple of months but also worked 35-40 hours a week while being in class. Until Christmas I was taking a full load with my senior thesis and several other heavy classes, so I didn't really pick up the intensity until around Christmas time.

Should I begin to study intensely for the next three months for the June exam? I am only taking two upper-level elective classes and am having surgery tomorrow which will keep me out of work for 3 weeks minimum.

I'm just wondering that if I really want to BEAST this LSAT, will this 3 month period of time be enough time to focus on it. I will be working full time from April until test time in a busy, upscale restaurant

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:49 pm

samplekid wrote:I'm just wondering that if I really want to BEAST this LSAT, will this 3 month period of time be enough time to focus on it. I will be working full time from April until test time in a busy, upscale restaurant

How much time per day/week do you think you could devote to studying?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:53 pm

samplekid wrote:Alright, just found out my score (162) on the Feb test. I studied for a couple of months but also worked 35-40 hours a week while being in class. Until Christmas I was taking a full load with my senior thesis and several other heavy classes, so I didn't really pick up the intensity until around Christmas time.

Should I begin to study intensely for the next three months for the June exam? I am only taking two upper-level elective classes and am having surgery tomorrow which will keep me out of work for 3 weeks minimum.

I'm just wondering that if I really want to BEAST this LSAT, will this 3 month period of time be enough time to focus on it. I will be working full time from April until test time in a busy, upscale restaurant

If I was you, I'd go balls to the wall for June, if you're not PTing within, or preferably above, your desired goal, then withdraw and take it in October. Honestly, the safe bet would be October, but you don't want to slack at all before, in addition, the experience you could gain from taking it in June would be very valuable. If money isn't an option, I'd take it in June, regardless of your PT score, then keep studying for October as if it was just another PT in your PT plan.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:26 pm

rebexness wrote:Noah had a breakfast Bloody and maintained productivity.
Or.
Noah was the Designated Driver.
or.
Noah had only one assignment vs the interns having 8367463857.

All close, two on point. But the last one doesn't explain both side of the paradox, pursuant to the first line. In addition, I actually made the stimulus with another credited answer in mind. Let's see who gets it.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Despite all the misdirection, Noah didn't drink last night, he was out until 7am in his office working. Hence the sleeping and leaving early.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

Despite all the misdirection, Noah didn't drink last night, he was out until 7am in his office working. Hence the sleeping and leaving early.

That was it. What if he finished all of his assignments early, came home to change then went back to work? Admittedly, not my best attempt at an LSAC stimulus.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm

I'm digging hard into RC, on a friday. If that's not dedication, then I don't know what is. Good luck everybody else.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:00 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

That was it. What if he finished all of his assignments early, came home to change then went back to work? Admittedly, not my best attempt at an LSAC stimulus.

Nah it was decent for sure. I've been hitting LR hard lately. Tired of missing -2 one test and -8 another. I've been stubborn and hasn't cracked open any LR/RC material yet. It's time.

So much valuable shit. Had no idea inference and assumption were both must be true variances - that's so different than lay usage.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:10 pm

He had few or no assignments (like 30 minutes worth of work).

If he was hungover, he would have gotten 0 done.

Edit: I saw someone above say that Noah didn't drink, that almost seemed too obvious for me lol. Thought it was going to be trickier than that.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:15 pm

bdeans91 wrote:

He had few or no assignments (like 30 minutes worth of work).

If he was hungover, he would have gotten 0 done.

Good points, I designed, or tried to design, the stimulus to lead one to the inference, that since Noah did work, he was not hungover. So either he was not hungover and was tired/upset stomach/lazy.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:14 pm

Have any of you TLS's taken Read 180 in middle school? I feel like this shit prepared me for REading Comp.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:Have any of you TLS's taken Read 180 in middle school? I feel like this shit prepared me for REading Comp.

Nope. I was too busy playing dodgeball and basketball in PE. God I miss PE.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:Have any of you TLS's taken Read 180 in middle school? I feel like this shit prepared me for REading Comp.

I played tetherball. Read 180 was for "underperforming readers" at my school. It was like a mini-LSAT prep course tho (just 4 reading Comp)

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:35 pm

Daily_Double wrote:

Law school kickball, ftw.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 pm

rebexness wrote:Law school kickball, ftw.

I don't have a cannon for a foot, but I've got a great arm, and I do love kickball, especially if the pitcher rolls a good bounce.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 pm

DD for your next "fabricated LSAC-esq stimulus" can I make a request for a weaken question? Thanks dude.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:12 pm

a question for everyone. When you are reviewing for past wrong questions what exactly do you do? thanks!

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:20 pm

eliztudorr wrote:a question for everyone. When you are reviewing for past wrong questions what exactly do you do? thanks!

1) If it's a question in the assumption family then I isolate the core from the argument
2) Determine why the credited answer choice is correct
3) Determine why it was I overlooked this answer choice during my first pass
4) Determine why I got tricked into picking the answer choice that I did
5) Go through each of the other answers and redetermine why they are wrong

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:29 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:a question for everyone. When you are reviewing for past wrong questions what exactly do you do? thanks!

1) If it's a question in the assumption family then I isolate the core from the argument
2) Determine why the credited answer choice is correct
3) Determine why it was I overlooked this answer choice during my first pass
4) Determine why I got tricked into picking the answer choice that I did
5) Go through each of the other answers and redetermine why they are wrong

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”