JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

bdeans91

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby bdeans91 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Wanna give a huge shoutout to Daily_Double for encouraging to read the question stem FIRST, and then the stimulus.

So much better.

When I read the stimulus first, I usually gloss over the question stem and need to go back to the stimulus again anyways.

When I read the question stem first, I NEVER go back to the stem, I read the stimulus more carefully for what the stem is asking for, and I only have to go back to the stimulus when I'm down to my last 2-3 contenders.

-1'd both LR sections yesterday and I haven't even learned all the question types. -9 and -10 respectively on the two sections in my diagnostic.
Last edited by bdeans91 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:21 pm

Any point in even trying to study pattern, mapping, and rare games seeing as none of them has popped up in the last 15+ years?

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:36 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Any point in even trying to study pattern, mapping, and rare games seeing as none of them has popped up in the last 15+ years?

I keep thinking the same thing. I mean, it doesn't take long to go over them but still.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:
John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Any point in even trying to study pattern, mapping, and rare games seeing as none of them has popped up in the last 15+ years?

I keep thinking the same thing. I mean, it doesn't take long to go over them but still.

Me too.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:42 pm

I don't even think there is a pattern. Just make sure you feel comfortable to tackle questions if you can't ' perfectly ' diagram and by perfectly I mean you draw some inferences and throw couple hypos. But again, I heard some odd games at recent test are tricky, like zone game, glass game. I haven't done it yet, will let you know the process.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:49 pm

I would read through the section in the LGB and do any of the games associated with it. I wouldn't necessarily WORRY about it, but I would be prepared, just in case.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:46 pm

On break after going straight through 3 sections of PT51. Have to go pick up the bro so my break will be longer than it needs to be. So far I feel pretty good about this test although I'm sure that feeling is distorted by having done this PT before.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:52 pm

rebexness wrote:

I would read through the section in the LGB and do any of the games associated with it. I wouldn't necessarily WORRY about it, but I would be prepared, just in case.

Yeah, probably foolish to skip it. I think I'll just prioritize the stuff that has a good chance of popping up.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:52 pm

PT 51 today-173(8 mistakes)(one bubbling error,otherwise would be 174)
LR1-1
Lr2-2
RC-3
G-2(shame)
Looks like I am coming along,but still need to work harder.
Last edited by natashka85 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:58 pm

7 Sage is good for this.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Just did the Snakes and Lizards game. I've done it before, don't remember when, I didn't remember anything though, I finished at 6:55, -0, but my diagrams got a little messy. I focused upon eliminating all of the answers until I was sure I found the right one, and even then, if I was unsure, I cut those wrong answers down. I don't really see what the big deal is about this one, so if anyone has any questions, shoot.

Also, crazyrobin, killing it on this game.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:05 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
griffin.811 wrote:I'm impatient I guess, but I don't see how it would make a difference. -8 on the RC anyway raw: 85 scaled 164.

LG:-1
LR:-6 combined
RC:-8

Haha, impatience isn't a bad thing. But jumping to the answers affects your rhythm and timing. PTs are about synthesizing your previous efforts into results. Those results are constrained by time, among other things, the more you check your answers, the more disrupted your PT will be and the less representative.

Also, good work, that's a big step up from PT 50 in terms of raw score. You'll crack 170 again soon, keep at it.

Just scored PT51. Not happy. Scored 164 which is ridiculous considering I've taken this PT before. Only positive was I finished LG with 15 minutes to spare. I need serious work in RC and LR if I want the score I want. Not going to let this score discourage me since getting discouraged would get me no where. I want to see results though so this is frustrating.

ETA: marked an answer wrong on LG when I got it right so scaled 164 instead of 163 — still disappointing though
Last edited by CardozoLaw09 on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Sick of LSAT stuff but I'll probably take PT51 on Saturday. Are we reviewing it this weekend? I may also take PT67 on Sunday. I took PT67 officially last October so I may save my "revenge" for later in the prep.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:46 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Sick of LSAT stuff but I'll probably take PT51 on Saturday. Are we reviewing it this weekend? I may also take PT67 on Sunday. I took PT67 officially last October so I may save my "revenge" for later in the prep.

I assume we're reviewing 51 this weekend. Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon works best for me.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:02 am

Daily_Double wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:Sick of LSAT stuff but I'll probably take PT51 on Saturday. Are we reviewing it this weekend? I may also take PT67 on Sunday. I took PT67 officially last October so I may save my "revenge" for later in the prep.

I assume we're reviewing 51 this weekend. Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon works best for me.

Please do Sunday afternoon,i work at nights,can u guys do in the afternoon?

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:06 am

It's a good Thursday night. After a week of being sick and no studying, I finally achieved my first -1 in a Logic Games section! Still struggling with LR but now that I am feeling more comfortable with LG I can devote more time into drilling LR. Feeling good!

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:11 am

Last edited by Sourrudedude on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 am

Lets see, Ive gone through all the cambridge game packets by type a few times ( I still do 4 a day, and I keep a log so I reduce the amount of time each time I do it which make it interesting), same for most of the LR packets (all the assumption family). 11 full PT's in total I believe.

So I've probably seen everything from PTs 1-38 (excluding the RC, which I'm drilling now) at least a few times.

Also a good number of us are following DD's schedule on pg.1 of this thread, so just catch up to today's date.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:Hey, guys. I just wanted to check where those of you who are keeping to a schedule are at in your studying (Which sections have you studied? How many PTs have you taken? etc.). I am hoping to catch up as best as I can over spring break.

I think there is a good mix in this thread. Some of us are still drilling, some are PTing already.

ETA: I have gone through the LR Bible and PS LR, and working on the LGB. Done some LR drilling and currently working through LG by type.

nickat

Postby nickat » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Checking in. Adapted Pythypike's guide to fit my schedule (FT work, teaching English Tues/Thurs + prep). Started studying 2/10 and about halfway through each LR and LG bibles guide right now..drilling LG by type in 19-38 and full sections for RC and LR.

I'm finding LG is pretty easy to learn (considering my diagnostic for LG, there was really no where to go but up), but LR and RC I'm having trouble figuring out why the answer I choose is wrong. For both of these sections, I'm usually between -2 to -0, and I move quickly and am confident in my answers. Usually the most I can find is maybe a little too strong of language in LR. I know figuring out why answers are right/wrong is crucial for self studying - does anyone have any suggestions on how you work out why the correct answer is right?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:05 pm

nickat wrote:I know figuring out why answers are right/wrong is crucial for self studying - does anyone have any suggestions on how you work out why the correct answer is right?

Great question, this is a big one. I think the best way to break down the argument into abstract language. What is the core? What supports the core? What does the argument do?

For example, in PT 51, S3, #25, STRENGHTEN: the argument's conclusion, restated so as to not offend copyright law, is that openings, direct examinations, and closings during litigation tells us a good amount about the ethics of the citizens. This is supported, alibi, weakly, by the first sentence: it was important for litigants to make the jurors like them, and that the jurors are a representative sample of the citizens.

Think about that. The argument says that we can infer, based upon what the litigants say, something about the ethics of the citizens. The correct answer will say something along the lines of, the statements of the litigants are in line with the ethics of the jurors.

Now the wrong answers will be unsupported, ones which don't strenghten, maybe even one or two that actually weaken the argument. If you understand what I went through above, you should be able to cut down the wrong answers with ease. What I'm getting at, is if you understand the core, how it's supported, then you should be able to tell me why the wrong answers are wrong, and the correct answer will address the relationship between the supporting premises and the conclusion.

If you have any specific questions about any question. Just post it in the form of PT#, S#, Q#, someone will walk you through it.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:16 pm

One of our more regular members has a scheduling problem, due to the relationship between time and geography, and would prefer that we move the Manhattan session to 11 am or 12 am ET. Does anyone have any objections to this? I wanted to ask before I email Noah asking him. If nobody responds today or tomorrow, I will assume you agree, then I'll email Noah, then I'll post his response.

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Daily_Double wrote:One of our more regular members has a scheduling problem, due to the relationship between time and geography, and would prefer that we move the Manhattan session to 11 am or 12 am ET. Does anyone have any objections to this? I wanted to ask before I email Noah asking him. If nobody responds today or tomorrow, I will assume you agree, then I'll email Noah, then I'll post his response.

Hey DD, sorry if I'm way late to this party but what & where are these sessions with Noah from Manhattan?

ETA: Also a West Coaster.
Last edited by John_rizzy_rawls on Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Daily_Double wrote:One of our more regular members has a scheduling problem, due to the relationship between time and geography, and would prefer that we move the Manhattan session to 11 am or 12 am ET. Does anyone have any objections to this? I wanted to ask before I email Noah asking him. If nobody responds today or tomorrow, I will assume you agree, then I'll email Noah, then I'll post his response.

Please consider the west coasters here.

11am would be 7am my time. That would be bad news bears. Noon would work ok, if necessary.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:24 pm

rebexness wrote:

Please consider the west coasters here.

11am would be 7am my time. Noon would work ok, if necessary.

Haha, of course, I'm not going to exclude anyone. I just said I'd try to help, but before I did so I wanted to see how moving it would impact you guys, if moving it screws it up for multiple people, then I won't even consider emailing Noah.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”