JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Too poor to keep up with the group on LSATs right now, so I am just doing the ones that my school library has.

PT 44:

RC: -3 (6,15,25)
LR1: -3 (14, 17, *22 (this question made me so angry, apparently it's not possible for there to be an equal number of elm and birch trees in a forest)
LG: -0 (finished with 15 minutes left, incredibly easy section)
LR2: -4 (8, 16, 18, 19 (16-22 was the most brutal LR stretch I have ever seen)).

Raw: -10
Scaled: 170

Not thrilled, -7 LR is my worst since my diagnostic, but these were two tough sections. RC wasn't bad at all, and I am happy with -3 at this point.

I've done 44 already, if you ever want to review.
Last edited by Daily_Double on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 pm

crazyrobin wrote:Check out LSATblog's video. I think it's helpful.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2012/06/ls ... n.html?m=1

Thanks everyone for their help!

This video made me realize the mistake I was making....
*Drumroll Please*

Reading the logic tree in the wrong direction. :oops:

My diagram was perfect, I just made an incredibly rookie error.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:59 pm

DD - and whoever else in this thread was there - what did you think about Joe's suggestion of negating flaw questions with assumptions?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:02 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:DD - and whoever else in this thread was there - what did you think about Joe's suggestion of negating flaw questions with assumptions?

Honestly, I'm not a big fan. Because, I don't want to get into the habit of negating things that are not explicitly defined, via the question stem (the actual question), as N/A. Although, he has a point, it could very well be a great strategy, but Flaws have never really been an issue for me, so I'm just going to stick with what has been working.
Last edited by Daily_Double on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:03 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:DD - and whoever else in this thread was there - what did you think about Joe's suggestion of negating flaw questions with assumptions?

I was there and on my phone... I should have used my computer.
Actually never knew we can negate N/A in flaw to double check answer choice, but wouldn't that be time consuming?
I thought we can just spot the gap then move on.

Sourrudedude

Postby Sourrudedude » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Checking in for the first time!

I have been studying ~10 hrs/week since January. Went through PS LG and LR bibles and found them okay but now (slowly) working through Manhattan LG. I've done PTs 29-36 at about one per week and I'm mostly in the 170-175 range. Today was my best PT yet (PT36) and I was only a few incredibly silly mistakes away from my first 180!

Look forward to sharing my experiences with everyone in the coming months.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:09 pm

crazyrobin wrote:I thought we can just spot the gap then move on.

I think it just depends on how confident you are in your selected answer choice.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 pm

rebexness wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:I thought we can just spot the gap then move on.

I think it just depends on how confident you are in your selected answer choice.

Right this inspires me to check answer choices when I drill. So I can try to turn a flawed question into a necessary one. This will be interesting.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:Checking in for the first time!

I have been studying ~10 hrs/week since January. Went through PS LG and LR bibles and found them okay but now (slowly) working through Manhattan LG. I've done PTs 29-36 at about one per week and I'm mostly in the 170-175 range. Today was my best PT yet (PT36) and I was only a few incredibly silly mistakes away from my first 180!

Welcome Sour. Looks like another killer member of a killer thread.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:20 pm

Sourrudedude wrote:Checking in for the first time!

Welcome, welcome.

The June Army grows!

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:52 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:Too poor to keep up with the group on LSATs right now, so I am just doing the ones that my school library has.

PT 44:

RC: -3 (6,15,25)
LR1: -3 (14, 17, *22 (this question made me so angry, apparently it's not possible for there to be an equal number of elm and birch trees in a forest)
LG: -0 (finished with 15 minutes left, incredibly easy section)
LR2: -4 (8, 16, 18, 19 (16-22 was the most brutal LR stretch I have ever seen)).

Raw: -10
Scaled: 170

Not thrilled, -7 LR is my worst since my diagnostic, but these were two tough sections. RC wasn't bad at all, and I am happy with -3 at this point.

I'm doing 44 when I get home today. Will update.

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:05 pm

What do you guys do? PTs every 3 days with drilling/reading in between?

I'm doing PithyPike's plan and drilling for the next month mostly, while you guys all seem to be doing a shit ton of PTs...

Just wondering if I should switch my plan up

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:11 pm

bdeans91 wrote:What do you guys do? PTs every 3 days with drilling/reading in between?

I'm doing PithyPike's plan and drilling for the next month mostly, while you guys all seem to be doing a shit ton of PTs...

I actually go the opposite way. I've only done 2 PTs, doing a 3rd today. I won't do a PT until I've mastered some part of the test. I didn't do my first PT until after 1.5 months of straight LG studying. I didn't do my second until after getting to a point on LG where I didn't go over 10 minutes or -1 on any game.

I'm only doing a PT today because I've spent the last few days locking down Necessary Assumption questions so I wanna see how it goes.

Once I've mastered to the best of my ability every question type, then I'll start PTing like mad. Hopefully around mid-March.

But that's just me.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:15 pm

bdeans91 wrote:What do you guys do? PTs every 3 days with drilling/reading in between?

To summarize our plan, we're killing it. Which is to say we did concepts, drilling, then (now) PTs, not every three days, yet. The PT plan is on the first page.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:17 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:Once I've mastered to the best of my ability every question type, then I'll start PTing like mad. Hopefully around mid-March.

But that's just me.

Same here. I really need to step it up though, if I want to start my PTs in March. I'm about a week behind where I want to be. Possibly I should use my free time at work to drill and NOT just sit on TLS...

bdeans91

Postby bdeans91 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:18 pm

^^ Thanks guys. My major PT-ing won't be until April begins and I'm going to be going mad. Trying to drill and learn everything as best as I can over the next month. PithyPike's plan works pretty damn well, but I couldn't imagine doing only the 3 month plan because it only has 1 month of PT smashing. Added an extra month of PTs to it so it should be a profit.

Especially considering I am 99% sure I'm going to a Canadian law school with a 4.0+ GPA. LOL only need a 168-170 and I'm in everywhere.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:

I actually go the opposite way. I've only done 2 PTs, doing a 3rd today. I won't do a PT until I've mastered some part of the test. I didn't do my first PT until after 1.5 months of straight LG studying. I didn't do my second until after getting to a point on LG where I didn't go over 10 minutes or -1 on any game.

I'm only doing a PT today because I've spent the last few days locking down Necessary Assumption questions so I wanna see how it goes.

Once I've mastered to the best of my ability every question type, then I'll start PTing like mad. Hopefully around mid-March.

But that's just me.

Hmm, this makes me think that I am not approaching this properly. How do you all drill? I am sure there are some differences but is it just mostly with pt 7-38 that you are doing the drilling?

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:41 pm

The-Specs wrote:
Hmm, this makes me think that I am not approaching this properly. How do you all drill? I am sure there are some differences but is it just mostly with pt 7-38 that you are doing the drilling?

When I "Drill" I am going through the questions, by type. For example, I am currently working through a packet of LG Advanced Linear (Balanced). There are about 26 games in it. I will start out untimed, then when I feel comfortable start timing myself, and then limiting myself to a specific time when I am very solid on the technique required. The goal here is 100% accuracy before timing.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:46 pm

rebexness wrote:
The-Specs wrote:

When I "Drill" I am going through the questions, by type. For example, I am currently working through a packet of LG Advanced Linear (Balanced). There are about 26 games in it. I will start out untimed, then when I feel comfortable start timing myself, and then limiting myself to a specific time when I am very solid on the technique required. The goal here is 100% accuracy before timing.

Hmm, so it isn't a problem that by the time you get to the timing you already know all of the games? It seems that by drilling you are already using up a finite resource and then can't PT those sections.

Take this with a grain of salt, it seems to be working amazingly well for everyone i just wonder how best to go about it.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:50 pm

The-Specs wrote:
rebexness wrote:
The-Specs wrote:
Hmm, so it isn't a problem that by the time you get to the timing you already know all of the games? It seems that by drilling you are already using up a finite resource and then can't PT those sections.

Take this with a grain of salt, it seems to be working amazingly well for everyone i just wonder how best to go about it.

I usually do the first 10ish untimed, then the rest timed. These are NOT the games from PTs I am doing, however. I think I will use some of them for my 5th/6th sections, if necessary, when doing PTs.

LGs I plan to redo a LOT, since failing them hardcore is my previous LSAT weakness. I don't tend to remember them (although I always remember LR, ugh)

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:02 pm

i keep having timing issues on LR and RC. do any of you have suggestions on how did you overcome it? thanks... :oops:

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:05 pm

I've drilled most of each LR type and all LGs from 1-38, the reason I've saved RCs is for 5th sections.

I've drilled timed and untimed, but I think if I were to offer advice to others, then I would say to do all drilling, which pursuant to my advice is a bunch of RC, LR, and all LG, untimed.

Why you ask? Timing is so important DD, are you saying to ignore that? Haha, ignoring my conversation with myself, no, that's not what I'm implying. I'm getting at accuracy, pure accuracy. You can't be constrained by the shackles of time when building accuracy. Timing will come with PTs and furthermore, it will decrease with increased accuracy.

What you should focus upon in LR and RC is eliminating answer choices, identifying why they are wrong, and identifying why the correct answer is correct. If you are wrong, then figure out what you did, why you did it, what you should have done. Note your mistake, don't make it again.

LG is slightly different, for LG you should focus upon manipulating the variables, don't let the game manipulate you. You're in control, make that game your bitch.

That's drilling.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:10 pm

Well put. Thanks Rebexness and DD. I am going to have to do some of that. I have been doing just theory and PT's but if drilling is what it takes to get on top so to speak then drill I shall.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
LG is slightly different, for LG you should focus upon manipulating the variables, don't let the game manipulate you. You're in control, make that game your bitch.

My new motto when doing LG.

Possibly a motto for the entire thread :D

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm

CanILive wrote:
Possibly a motto for the entire thread :D

Its too bad the OP isn't around or we could have our Subject updated :)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”