JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

User avatar
CanILive
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CanILive » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:09 pm

Best of luck WeatherCoins.

So as I as browsing the Manhattan forums for review of LR (Great resource by the way, I recommend everyone visit there), I came across this great post about learning LR.

http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q15 ... 4adf605dd8

It is the third post down.

I am unsure if I am allowed to put the post on TLS. If it is allowed, someone can feel free to do it, or I will.

Regardless, great resource.
Last edited by CanILive on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 pm

I would just link to it.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:29 pm

It is a great advice. I think TLS wisdom is in align with this suggestion: write down the explanation when you get some questions wrong or you are not sure about the question.

Another question guys, when you drill LR or take full time PT, do you read question stem first? What's your opinion?

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:32 pm

crazyrobin wrote:It is a great advice. I think TLS wisdom is in align with this suggestion: write down the explanation when you get some questions wrong or you are not sure about the question.

Another question guys, when you drill LR or take full time PT, do you read question stem first? What's your opinion?


Stimulus then stem.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
Stimulus then stem.


OK thanks DD, I am wrapping up all my LR drilling. Can't wait to take full time PT and soar my score to 17X.

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 pm

crazyrobin wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:
Stimulus then stem.


OK thanks DD, I am wrapping up all my LR drilling. Can't wait to take full time PT and soar my score to 17X.


I read the stem first. I like to know what I'm looking for before I start reading. I did it the other way for a while, but much prefer this way. Say the question asks for the conclusion, you don't have to bother trying to put the whole core together, or waste a few seconds trying to find the gap in the core. Just one reason I do it this way.

I'd go with whatever feels most comfortable.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:41 pm

I always confused those two, because I don't really care to call them by their correct names. I read the question first, must be true, assumption, etc., then read the passage. In RC I do the opposite.

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby natashka85 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Lr bundle arrived today,i was planning to go through Logic Games bible ,but I guess i will drill some Lr by type.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I always confused those two, because I don't really care to call them by their correct names. I read the question first, must be true, assumption, etc., then read the passage. In RC I do the opposite.


is it faster that way?

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:06 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:I always confused those two, because I don't really care to call them by their correct names. I read the question first, must be true, assumption, etc., then read the passage. In RC I do the opposite.


is it faster that way?


Maybe, maybe not. It helps me anticipate what to look for. For example if the question stem, I think it's called a stem now, but I confused them in my reply to crazyrobin, reads which of the following is an assumption which the argument depends upon?" I know I'm looking for something which must be true, and if it is not true, negated, the the argent will collapse. I'm on my phone so I can't get into a full explanation, but I think it's the best approach for LR.

griffin.811
Posts: 217
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:30 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby griffin.811 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:I always confused those two, because I don't really care to call them by their correct names. I read the question first, must be true, assumption, etc., then read the passage. In RC I do the opposite.


is it faster that way?


Maybe, maybe not. It helps me anticipate what to look for. For example if the question stem, I think it's called a stem now, but I confused them in my reply to crazyrobin, reads which of the following is an assumption which the argument depends upon?" I know I'm looking for something which must be true, and if it is not true, negated, the the argent will collapse. I'm on my phone so I can't get into a full explanation, but I think it's the best approach for LR.


I agree. Not necessarily faster (although it may be), but it should make your reading of the passage more focused. DD I also do it the other way for RC.

For LR, just think about the questions when they ask "what is the function of the third sentence" if you read the stem first, you can hone in on that sentence when you read. If you do it the other way around, you'll probably have to re-read unless it was the conclusion or a major premise.

I despise LR...
Last edited by griffin.811 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:17 pm

PT 50- first time in a while taking a PT in a very quiet environment (my office) rather than a coffee shop or cafe or loud house. Also first time using a bubble sheet in a while.

Section I- RC- -4 (#'s 5,14,19,25). When 35 minutes came, still had 2 more questions to do, took 36:15 total.
Section II- LR1 -1 (#13)- 33 minutes
Section III- LG 0 (had to guess on one between 2 possible answers, guessed correctly). 34 minutes.
Section IV- RC2- -2 (#12, 23). 32 minutes

Raw 93/100, Scaled 173. PR! :) One more question right would have been a 175, which is my goal.

LG I've been pretty consistent between 0 and -2, LR between -1 and -4. But was very happy with this RC, despite the extra minute I took, since I've been consistently between -5 and -8. Limited social life the past month or two to study may be starting to pay off :D

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:I always confused those two, because I don't really care to call them by their correct names. I read the question first, must be true, assumption, etc., then read the passage. In RC I do the opposite.


is it faster that way?


Maybe, maybe not. It helps me anticipate what to look for. For example if the question stem, I think it's called a stem now, but I confused them in my reply to crazyrobin, reads which of the following is an assumption which the argument depends upon?" I know I'm looking for something which must be true, and if it is not true, negated, the the argent will collapse. I'm on my phone so I can't get into a full explanation, but I think it's the best approach for LR.


im gonna try it today. and i will let you guys know what i think :) found a few threads on the issue and most ppl suggest reading the question first.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:19 pm

weathercoins wrote:
Raw 93/100, Scaled 173. PR! :) One more question right would have been a 175, which is my goal.


Congrats!

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby objection_your_honor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

MLSAT LR advocates reading the question first. It's not necessarily faster, but definitely has an impact on accuracy. Once used to it, I find it often does save time as it can obviate the need to return to the stimulus. You read with your task in mind the first time.

I think Powerscore LR says not to read the question first? It's been awhile since I've read that.
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:MLSAT LR advocates reading the question first. It's not necessarily faster, but definitely has an impact on accuracy. Once used to it, I find it often does save time as it obviates the need to return to the stimulus as often. You read with your task in mind the first time.

I think Powerscore LR says not to read the question first? It's been awhile since I read that.


Testmasters also says not to. Glancing at it first helps save time for me with conclusion questions, and questions where there is a "dialogue" between two people

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I agree with DD. powerscore suggests otherwise thought ( to the best of my memory, I think ps LR bible suggests read argument first)

I tried to read argument first ( I think it's called stimulus? ) then question. Not really effective. Some questions throw me off so I have to go back to the argument again.

rebexness
Posts: 4163
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:24 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby rebexness » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:26 pm

weathercoins wrote:
objection_your_honor wrote:MLSAT LR advocates reading the question first. It's not necessarily faster, but definitely has an impact on accuracy. Once used to it, I find it often does save time as it obviates the need to return to the stimulus as often. You read with your task in mind the first time.

I think Powerscore LR says not to read the question first? It's been awhile since I read that.


Testmasters also says not to. Glancing at it first helps save time for me with conclusion questions, and questions where there is a "dialogue" between two people


I tend to do it only when there is dialogue. Gonna drill LR today so I will try this and see if it saves me any time/increases accuracy.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby The-Specs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Just finished PT 41.

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -0

Raw: 89
Scaled: 170!!!

This is my first time over 170 since may 2012 right before my first LSAT and to be honest that one was a fluke. To be fair though, this one could be too, I have never done better than -5 on RC before and usually I am much closer to -5/6 total for my LR sections. Bazaar but however it worked out I am feeling good about scoring a 170 on the back of scoring a 169 this last monday.

Can't wait for PT 42 on Saturday.

Also: final game of LG almost screwed me over because i read "either" instead of "neither". It cost me 6 mins and made me rush on the third game in which i got my -3. Carelessness is going to kill me.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

The-Specs wrote:Just finished PT 41.

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -0

Raw: 89
Scaled: 170!!!

This is my first time over 170 since may 2012 right before my first LSAT and to be honest that one was a fluke. To be fair though, this one could be too, I have never done better than -5 on RC before and usually I am much closer to -5/6 total for my LR sections. Bazaar but however it worked out I am feeling good about scoring a 170 on the back of scoring a 169 this last monday.

Can't wait for PT 42 on Saturday.

Also: final game of LG almost screwed me over because i read "either" instead of "neither". It cost me 6 mins and made me rush on the third game in which i got my -3. Carelessness is going to kill me.


Wow
That -0 on RC is here to stay.
Seriously, I am jealous.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:41 pm

Awesome job on the PTs guys. Weathercoins bold move using the bubbles so early, I like it.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:51 pm

The-Specs wrote:Just finished PT 41.

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -0

Raw: 89
Scaled: 170!!!

This is my first time over 170 since may 2012 right before my first LSAT and to be honest that one was a fluke.


Congratulations!! You'll have that LG down to 0 in no time, and I'm so jealous of that RC.

User avatar
CanILive
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CanILive » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:I always confused those two, because I don't really care to call them by their correct names. I read the question first, must be true, assumption, etc., then read the passage. In RC I do the opposite.


is it faster that way?


Maybe, maybe not. It helps me anticipate what to look for. For example if the question stem, I think it's called a stem now, but I confused them in my reply to crazyrobin, reads which of the following is an assumption which the argument depends upon?" I know I'm looking for something which must be true, and if it is not true, negated, the the argent will collapse. I'm on my phone so I can't get into a full explanation, but I think it's the best approach for LR.


This is exactly how and why I do LR this way.

User avatar
CanILive
Posts: 68
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CanILive » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:40 pm

The-Specs wrote:Just finished PT 41.

LR: -4
LG: -3
LR: -5
RC: -0

Raw: 89
Scaled: 170!!!


Congratulations!

This thread is crushing in terms of scores this far out from the test.

User avatar
The-Specs
Posts: 1037
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby The-Specs » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks guys.

We can all do it, TLS FTW! I am pumped and so motivated to keep at it.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: floatie, Instrumental, Lahtso Nuggin and 19 guests