JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

eliztudorr

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 pm

griffin.811 wrote:
christobel wrote:Hey all, just checking in. I'm taking the June test in Shanghai so I guess I have a few extra weeks (the test is on the 23rd). I went through the LG and LR Manhattan books over the past few weeks.

I took my first PT (PT 40) yesterday and I got a 166:
LR -2
LG -4
LR -4
RC -5

One of the Logic Games problems was super hard and I had trouble concentrating during some of the later sections (I seem to get questions wrong in bunches). Does anyone have any advice on the most effective way to review PTs? Should I just begin drilling?

Thank you

So a good way to review is the blind method. Many people seem to have adapted this to better suit their style over time. It pretty much boils down to taking a pt, and while taking, circlthe questions you are uncertain about (would not be willing to bet $50 that you selected the correct answer). After finishing the test, and before scoring go back and try the questions you were unsure about, change answers as necessary, but keep a note of what was changed so you can score the original.

Then forers you got wrong, go through and figure out what tricked you, why the correct answer was correct, and why all others were wrong. For LG you should use 7sage.com videos. Rc point to lines that led you to the answer you chose.

F

sounds cool. im gonna try that next time.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:20 pm

deputydog wrote:I completely slacked this weekend, because it was nice weather and a three day. I did done drilling on Sunday, but I really slacked. I'm going to take two PTs this week to make up for it (40 & 41).

Big ups to objection on the free Kaplan proctored exam, I just signed up. What are the odds that we are better at the LSAT than the shills who will be there trying to sell us on them?

Considering you only need 90th percentile to teach Kaplan course... And these might not eve be the teachers....

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:43 pm

Took PT 32 (my second), here are the results:

LR 1: -4
RC: -8
LR 2: -3
LG: -3 (HUGE improvement. Dat Drilling)

Raw: 86

Curved: 166

Still not a 180, but getting there.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm

PT 50: Raw 97 (100 total questions), Scaled 179

RC: -1, #28
LR1: -1, #12
LG: -0
LR2: -1, #14

Extra time on each section, I'd guess somewhere between a minute and three minutes for most of them, RC closer to one or two, LRs were closer to three, and LG was easily over four minutes. Which makes me laugh at my LR mistakes when I did a brief review of my incorrect answers. Well to begin with, I'm really happy with RC. But even if I accept that my mistake on #12, LR1, was acceptable, (I'll say this it's a tricky question), my mistake on #14, LR2, is nothing short of funny. I finished with time, closed my booklet, graded the test, and wrote down the numbers I got wrong. Took a break to forget the answers. When I got to #14... it was blank. I skip the matching questions and save them until last, but it looks like I forgot the most important rule of skipping questions, go back to it if you have time.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 pm

Daily_Double wrote:PT 50: Raw 97 (100 total questions), Scaled 179

Extra time on each section, I'd guess somewhere between a minute and three minutes for most of them, RC closer to one or two, LRs were closer to three, and LG was easily over four minutes. Which makes me laugh at my LR mistakes when I did a brief review of my incorrect answers. Well to begin with, I'm really happy with RC. But even if I accept that my mistake on #12, LR1, was acceptable, (I'll say this it's a tricky question), my mistake on #14, LR2, is nothing short of funny. I finished with time, closed my booklet, graded the test, and wrote down the numbers I got wrong. Took a break to forget the answers. When I got to #14... it was blank. I skip the matching questions and save them until last, but it looks like I forgot the most important rule of skipping questions, go back to it if you have time.

Great Job!

This thread is going great. Glad to see so many people doing well!

Daily, any tips on RC?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 pm

You're a natural, DD.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:12 pm

Daily_Double wrote:PT 50: Raw 97 (100 total questions), Scaled 179

Wow. Just Wow. Can't waitttttt til I'm on your level, hope it happens soon lol. Keep this shit up!

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:19 pm

CanILive wrote:Daily, any tips on RC?

I've written a bunch on this thread about my RC process, and how it has, and still is changing. I guess the only thing I've done different is re-skim MRC after the Manhattan review to reinforce the PEAR method. Other than that, I just read for structure, looked for the author's voice, noted whenever I saw views, examples, and paused after each paragraph to mentally note which view was supported, how it was supported, and if it was, how it was criticized. This RC section also seemed on the easier side, whatever that means. If you have specific questions, or want more information, just PM me.

And awesome improvement on LR. Keep up the good work.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 pm

Just a heads-up: If any of you are still considering using a test prep company, my recommendation is that you don't use testmasters. Robin Singh seems like a dick and testmasters is suing TLS (for the actions of a former moderator who has been banned for awhile).

More info: Testmasters sues TLS / Robin Singh is a dick

redecember

Postby redecember » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 pm

Took a break from LR and did some drilling in LG

Simple Ordering (All Level 1s): -0

PT3-S1-G2-- 5:05
PT12-S2-G1-- 4:31
PT23-S1-G1-- 5:15
PT26-S1-G2-- 5:10
PT7-S2-G1-- 4:38
PT19-S1-G1-- 6:32
PT24-S4-G2-- 4:53
PT28-S2-G1-- 4:22
PT30-S1-G4-- 7:20
PT15-S4-G3-- 6:21
PT17-S1-G1-- 6:38

PT15-S4-G1 Was a little weird and threw me off so I didn't finish. How did you guys go about this one?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 am

Because I'm bored and putting off a little reading, I decided to make some basic rules and give a brief introduction for the review room we use. A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A, if everyone approves of these rules, and doesn't add anything significant, and if they add something significant, and you think it's necessary, could you please add the information below to your second post?

So as you may or may not know some of us are using a program to review. Now before I begin with the rules and a brief introduction, you the reader should first know a few things: many of us are all at different levels, and as a result, posters are going to split into groups which fit their score range and PT schedules. What I'm getting at, is don't enter the room if you haven't taken the PT we are reviewing. Second, we are all busy, and cramming PT review is difficult for everyone, so don't abuse it, because we are trying to work here. Furthermore, as a warning, if we, the usual posters who attempt to provide insightful tips and suggestions to you, deem that you are abusing the room in such a way as to waste our time, then don't expect any help from us in the future.

DIRECTIONS:

The information below applies only to program virgins.

1. Click the link, it will take you to a page, don't close the page until the window comes up.

2. So you're in the room, you should see a large white background and some tabs to your left. People will be in the room, or on their way. Sit patiently, remember what you read here:
The program has several options, the first of which you should do is set up your mike. Now you should see three tabs to the left, audio and video, participants, chat. Look at the tab marked audio and video, to the immediate right of the words audio and video are two buttons, click the second one from the left, a tab will drop down, click audio setup wizard. After you do this step you will have the power to use the mike, but with great power comes great responsibility.

3. People come in, now you're wondering how do I communicate with these people? Don't do anything, don't press the talk button, don't press the video button, literally do nothing. The most important thing to understand is that there are three ways, that I know of, to communicate in this program. The first is the mike, the second is the text box at the bottom left under the chat tab. The third is by clicking the text box button and typing on the wall, you'll learn about this in the program. Only one these needs further explanation: the mike. Now remember this, only one person can use the mike at once. What happens is that one person clicks the talk button, and speaks, everyone in the room hears the speaker, when the speaker is finished speaking he will click the talk button again. Since only one person can speak at once, you should limit your mike time to questions, answers, and things that make people laugh, these are not mutually exclusive. What this means is that you should press the talk button, talk, then press the talk button again.

4. Someone will open the review by speaking into the mike, you'll notice that the talk button cannot be clicked during these moments. You will type any questions you have into the text area at the bottom left of the screen. This message will appear above the area you typed it and we will see it and answer your question.

5. The review begins. People will begin by using the third way to communicate, the text box, and will type the questions they would like a further explanation of. They will direct you how to do the same.

RULES:

1. Don't be a dick
2. Don't use the mike for too long. How long is too long? When your explanation is finished, you should press the button again.
3. Yeah, back to the mike, don't be a dick, I know it's been covered, but specifically, don't be a dick with the mike. If you have clicked the button, then leave your computer and go watch ghostbusters, the review will be screwed, and we will hate you.
4. I shouldn't have to say this, but because this is an anonymous internet thread, we can't verify that you're not going to ruin the chat room. So let me address this possibility now, just because you have some deeply rooted emotional issues, will soon be featured on the next episode of catfish, and as a result have led us to believe that you actually belong in the same chat room with us, doesn't mean we care. Seriously, don't troll the chat room.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:37 am

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 am

rebexness wrote:jfc is that necessary?

I don't know what happened, but I added it to the 2P.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:49 am

rebexness wrote:jfc is that necessary?

haha, I just want these to run as smoothly as possible. It definitely doesn't hurt.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:52 am

redecember wrote:PT15-S4-G1 Was a little weird and threw me off so I didn't finish. How did you guys go about this one?

Just did it in 4:34, -0. I didn't get any solid inferences, although I looked. The game revolved around J, once you figured out where J falls, everything else just kinda falls in place. Did you have question about something specifically?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:31 am

Daily_Double wrote:
redecember wrote:PT15-S4-G1 Was a little weird and threw me off so I didn't finish. How did you guys go about this one?

Just did it in 4:34, -0. I didn't get any solid inferences, although I looked. The game revolved around J, once you figured out where J falls, everything else just kinda falls in place. Did you have question about something specifically?

Your 4:34 is amazing. I just did it in 6:50. Also no solid initial inferences. T not being next to J is key, because of the J not in 1 or 6 restriction. Most of the questions centered around that. Redecember, the HJK and RST rule seemed confusing to me at first, but really only affected a few questions (only taking some time on #6). Is that what tripped you up a bit?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:37 am

Thanks weathercoins, although I've done it twice before, and I rock ordering games.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:11 am

Just did PT 40. 34 minute sections. 170.

Lr1 -1
Lg -0
Lr2 -5 (didn't get to the last q)
RC -4

While I'm happy that my RC was finally decent, that shitburger Lr section bummed me out. I'm doing 41 on Thursday. Hopefully I can get everything dialed in.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:45 am

deputydog wrote:Just did PT 40. 34 minute sections. 170.

Lr1 -1
Lg -0
Lr2 -5 (didn't get to the last q)
RC -4

While I'm happy that my RC was finally decent, that shitburger Lr section bummed me out. I'm doing 41 on Thursday. Hopefully I can get everything dialed in.

Hey, looks like we are sixes. I got almost that same distribution (only difference LR2 -4 and RC -7 [I missed last three because of timing issues])

I am taking 41 on Sat. Good luck with yours.

redecember

Postby redecember » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:53 am

weathercoins wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:

Your 4:34 is amazing. I just did it in 6:50. Also no solid initial inferences. T not being next to J is key, because of the J not in 1 or 6 restriction. Most of the questions centered around that. Redecember, the HJK and RST rule seemed confusing to me at first, but really only affected a few questions (only taking some time on #6). Is that what tripped you up a bit?

Ah..... I read the J rule as "must be in either 1st or 6th"

hahah thanks!

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:19 am

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 am

rebexness wrote:Just finished drilling all of the Balanced/Linear games.

um, PT 35 Game 4? WUT?

I got them all right, but I don't understand how or why. It feels like they left out a rule. Is this one considered difficult? Is it too late for me to be doing LG?

No I think this is a typical ordering game. Just did it 4'03'' -0
You should be able to draw the inference that N has to be hired in 1989 which leaves your setup as
N O R _ M _ _
Then everything is about filling the blank. Just be careful about the sharing specialty thing.

Do you have any specific questions about this game?

Edit: one more thing, since S can't be hired in 1989, 1990 or 1991 so S has to be hired in 1992 which makes everything much easier.
Last edited by crazyrobin on Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 am

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:05 am

rebexness wrote:
I guess where I was confused was to how this is balanced- nowhere does it say how many times a particular # could be used, or how many were hired per year, or anything. I set it up to be they could be hired any year applicable/not in conflict with specialties. It just wasn't super clear. And took me a year to finish, but -0.

Right I get your point, but since you can only be hired once, so no one can be hired in different years, but some may be hired in the same year.

It will be interesting though if they get "fired" and then re-hired lol

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:08 am

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”