JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

crazyrobin

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:38 am

weathercoins wrote:That's great! Did you use templates?

Not really. I did diagram it as a complex ordering with two lines with each of which has five variables.

Since S is not a variable, I eliminate S from the seven variables, which helps me a lot with Q 13, 14, 15 and 16.

My initial setup is like this
I, L, P, T, U, V (since S is not a variable, I use my eraser to eliminate)
C:G, M, R, Y

R_ _ _ M M
S_ _ _ _ _

I---->Ig
P----->Py
V----->U ; U----->V
then with last rule of L, U color thing. ( it's hard to diagram here)
Last edited by crazyrobin on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:41 am

Pursuant to my schedule, which as I've mentioned before is to be taken relatively, not literally, I'll be taking PT 50 tomorrow evening, even though this week is pretty awful in terms of time to do LSAT shit for me. No bubble sheet, break between two sections... you know, the little league stuff. March starts five sections, using RC sections that I haven't done from 7-38, bubbles, official breaks, and 34 minute sections. Can't wait.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:53 am

Daily_Double wrote:Solid work. Although now I really want to do it, and I'm surrounded at my desk by every PT. It's so close. But no. I feel like a fat kid on a strict diet at a buffet.

You'll be fine DD, just do it when you schedule to take PT 57.

Gotta admit it's a fun game, now I am excited about destroying LG on test day.
8)

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:11 am

Followed through on my goals for the day although I drilled LR less than I would have liked but may drill some more strengthen questions later. Did 10 LG's — all a mix of complex ordering, assignment, and grouping. My grouping skills need some work; if I went -0 on a grouping game it took me at least 10 minutes to do so which is too long. In accordance to DD's sched I'll be doing PT50 sometime this week -- thinking Wednesday or Thursday. Tomorrow will be similar to today other than possibly throwing RC into the mix. Good luck to everyone studying this week!

christobel

Postby christobel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:18 am

/
Last edited by christobel on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The-Specs

Postby The-Specs » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:27 am

christobel wrote:Hey all, just checking in. I'm taking the June test in Shanghai so I guess I have a few extra weeks (the test is on the 23rd). I went through the LG and LR Manhattan books over the past few weeks.

I took my first PT (PT 40) yesterday and I got a 166:
LR -2
LG -4
LR -4
RC -5

One of the Logic Games problems was super hard and I had trouble concentrating during some of the later sections (I seem to get questions wrong in bunches). Does anyone have any advice on the most effective way to review PTs? Should I just begin drilling?

Thank you

Was it the flights game? I just took that test this morning. The trick to that one is just connecting rules. I skipped it at first because it had me stumped but when i realized what I was missing I was able to go back and figure it out. It can be done!

christobel

Postby christobel » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 am

/
Last edited by christobel on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

So is the next PT on the schedule #50?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:18 pm

weathercoins wrote:So is the next PT on the schedule #50?

On mine, yes

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:08 pm

rebexness wrote:You guys are super motivating :)

I finally got my butt back in gear this weekend and drilled LG. Pretty good, but slow, overall.
Going to finish up this type today and then read the next chapter of MLG. MLG book and game types drilling WILL be effing completed by the end of February.

I never finished drilling LR- I suspect I will do some more and then do another read through of MLR and LRB after I finish RC.

Are you guys reviewing in the same Manhattan room that we did the review in on Friday? Or the first room that BB sent out?

Don't worry about finishing drilling. I think once one does the level ones, and twos, and learns from mistakes, then that person should stop after that. Why you ask? Because the point of drilling is to gain an overall knowledge of specific patters in the question stem and the language of the questions in order to increase accuracy. However, I think perfection can only come through taking timed PTs for a couple reasons. First off, the different question types presented in PTs may pose a challenge unless you practice mentally switching gears, which comes through PTs, and second, you cannot consistently have perfection if you run out of time with at least two remaining questions, you can practice timing through PTs. I once thought that drilling the difficult LR problems, since they present a variety of question types, was a good idea. I withdraw that recommendation, because I think it is in fact a better idea to save sections for a fifth, or sixth section when doing new PTs. Although you might remember a couple questions, the idea is that you will only remember difficult problems, and since level ones and twos are not difficult, you won't remember most of them. This will not only help you with endurance but also allow you to focus on new problems in the sections, which hopefully you haven't seen, or don't remember from Cambridge.

And no, we're not using the Manhattan room we used on Friday, since I think that room is reserved for Manhattan sessions. But we are using the room which BB sent out, which is the same program.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
rebexness wrote:You guys are super motivating :)

I finally got my butt back in gear this weekend and drilled LG. Pretty good, but slow, overall.
Going to finish up this type today and then read the next chapter of MLG. MLG book and game types drilling WILL be effing completed by the end of February.

I never finished drilling LR- I suspect I will do some more and then do another read through of MLR and LRB after I finish RC.

Are you guys reviewing in the same Manhattan room that we did the review in on Friday? Or the first room that BB sent out?

Don't worry about finishing drilling. I think once one does the level ones, and twos, and learns from mistakes, then that person should stop after that. Why you ask? Because the point of drilling is to gain an overall knowledge of specific patters in the question stem and the language of the questions in order to increase accuracy. However, I think perfection can only come through taking timed PTs for a couple reasons......

Why would you recommend levels 1+2 over the harder levels though?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm

weathercoins wrote:Why would you recommend levels 1+2 over the harder levels though?

Short version: The main reasons are timing, endurance, and getting used to seeing many different question types, and ranges of difficulty in a row.

Longer version:
I guess that suggestion requires a certain number of assumptions, one of which is that if you don't have trouble with the ones and twos then you are capable of acing the threes and fours. And that if you learn from your mistakes in the ones and twos, then you don't have trouble with them. There are more, but this isn't an LR question, so I'm done.

Basically if you do all the threes and fours, then the sections those questions come from are useless because you will have done them before, and are likely to remember at least some of them. However, if you only do the ones and twos, then you can still use the old sections as additional sections in future PTs to increase endurance. In addition, you can continue to learn from your mistakes, since you haven't seen the difficult questions before. Now I will concede that a certain number, I have no idea what this number is, of level three and four problems could be beneficial if you are struggling with a particular question type. However, referring back to my assumption, if you are good with the ones and twos, then you should be able to tackle the threes and fours.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:43 pm

I drilled S/A, N/A, Flawed questions, all levels of difficulties.
Truth to be told, I didn't feel any difference.
Level 1 is really easy, but for 2,3,4, I can't discriminate the questions.

I'll try DD's 1+2 approach for Strengthen/Weaken and onward.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:05 pm

crazyrobin wrote:I drilled S/A, N/A, Flawed questions, all levels of difficulties.
Truth to be told, I didn't feel any difference.
Level 1 is really easy, but for 2,3,4, I can't discriminate the questions.

I'll try DD's 1+2 approach for Strengthen/Weaken and onward.

I don't see a big difference either.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:45 pm

Guys i have a question,i am starting my studying ,i have all the tests in pdf form but not the cambridge bundles for lr by type,do u guys think i should drill by type or full tests by sections?

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:53 pm

natashka85 wrote:Guys i have a question,i am starting my studying ,i have all the tests in pdf form but not the cambridge bundles for lr by type,do u guys think i should drill by type or full tests by sections?

If there are specific areas of LR bothering you, I'd purchase LR by type. I was missing 3-5 on each section and I'm down to 0-2, mostly from drilling and really familiarizing myself with the difficult types (for me weakenX, parallel questions, some strengthen). If it's only a few sections of LR causing you trouble I'd purchase those sections individually, it's like... 5 to 12 dollars a section.. not too bad.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 pm

weathercoins wrote:
natashka85 wrote:Guys i have a question,i am starting my studying ,i have all the tests in pdf form but not the cambridge bundles for lr by type,do u guys think i should drill by type or full tests by sections?

If there are specific areas of LR bothering you, I'd purchase LR by type. I was missing 3-5 on each section and I'm down to 0-2, mostly from drilling and really familiarizing myself with the difficult types (for me weakenX, parallel questions, some strengthen). If it's only a few sections of LR causing you trouble I'd purchase those sections individually, it's like... 5 to 12 dollars a section.. not too bad.

well if u noticed in my post I mentioned that I have the tests all of them in pdf form,i think i am gonna drill all the tests from 1-40 that way i wont lose my flexibility to deal w different question types when they will throw at me at the test,but in case i need them do u know how i can get the lR questions by type,i mean cheap even in pdf form,don`t wanna spend money ?
Last edited by natashka85 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:03 pm

Just a heads up: Kaplan may be running a free proctored PT in your area. I just signed up for one.

http://www.kaptest.com/LSAT/LSAT-Prep/free-events.html
Last edited by objection_your_honor on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:06 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:Just a heads up: Kaplan may be running a free proctored PT in your area. I just signed up for one.

Doesn`t work for me cause I work on weekends,lol.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eliztudorr

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 pm

prior to checking into this thread, i had my own schedule planned out so was just going to take PT on my own and join in the thread for motivation.

just took PT 52 (didn't finish...cuz end up dying so hard that realize i was just guessing answers instead of DOING them..so had to stop myself..) gave up on scoring myself but one good news is that the LR i got wrong are NOT S/A or N/A questions (which i previously sucked at) YAY.

on a more depressing note, i feel like i should go back to studying my types instead of taking PT... :( yikes..i think im going to be join your schedule now DD. while using the other "off" time on my own drilling practice. (originally i was gonna do 2 PT a wk)

Postby 052220151 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:32 pm

I completely slacked this weekend, because it was nice weather and a three day. I did done drilling on Sunday, but I really slacked. I'm going to take two PTs this week to make up for it (40 & 41).

Big ups to objection on the free Kaplan proctored exam, I just signed up. What are the odds that we are better at the LSAT than the shills who will be there trying to sell us on them?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm

good link. adding it to the front page for later

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:40 pm

christobel wrote:Hey all, just checking in. I'm taking the June test in Shanghai so I guess I have a few extra weeks (the test is on the 23rd). I went through the LG and LR Manhattan books over the past few weeks.

I took my first PT (PT 40) yesterday and I got a 166:
LR -2
LG -4
LR -4
RC -5

One of the Logic Games problems was super hard and I had trouble concentrating during some of the later sections (I seem to get questions wrong in bunches). Does anyone have any advice on the most effective way to review PTs? Should I just begin drilling?

Thank you

So a good way to review is the blind method. Many people seem to have adapted this to better suit their style over time. It pretty much boils down to taking a pt, and while taking, circlthe questions you are uncertain about (would not be willing to bet $50 that you selected the correct answer). After finishing the test, and before scoring go back and try the questions you were unsure about, change answers as necessary, but keep a note of what was changed so you can score the original.

Then forers you got wrong, go through and figure out what tricked you, why the correct answer was correct, and why all others were wrong. For LG you should use 7sage.com videos. Rc point to lines that led you to the answer you chose.

F

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”