JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Daily_Double

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:39 pm

Daily_Double wrote:I have another tip, honestly I'm just using this to put off Manhattan's RC book:

This tip relates to a more common game type, conditional grouping. If you liked that tip, which by the way is only used for a rare game, then you should like this tip more. (Assuming of course a number of things, which I don't care to type on my phone). Manhattan's way, not Powerscore.

Conditional grouping includes "In and Out" (see the bird watcher game for a difficult example) and "One of two groups" (See the two committee problem). Anyways Powerscore would have you use bicontinental arrows and link everything, which doesn't accurately portray the diagram, unless you really put work in to understand it. Manhattan's method, however, is simple to read, and use quickly. What I'm really getting at, is Manhattan's way is easier to use. Anyone can learn how to set up Powerscore's diagram, however the application of Powerscore's diagram is too complex. I find that if I have a conditional problem and I set it up using both methods, Manhattan's yields better results.

As always, my opinions are not facts, do what's best for you, etc. And if anyone has any better ideas/applications/combinations of Powerscore and Manhattan for the purposes of Conditional Grouping, I would be very interested to hear them.

Tagging in my posts for future reference. Should we use the word tip to make it easier to search for these once the thread gets big?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:48 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:I have another tip, honestly I'm just using this to put off Manhattan's RC book:

This tip relates to a more common game type, conditional grouping. If you liked that tip, which by the way is only used for a rare game, then you should like this tip more. (Assuming of course a number of things, which I don't care to type on my phone). Manhattan's way, not Powerscore.

Conditional grouping includes "In and Out" (see the bird watcher game for a difficult example) and "One of two groups" (See the two committee problem). Anyways Powerscore would have you use bicontinental arrows and link everything, which doesn't accurately portray the diagram, unless you really put work in to understand it. Manhattan's method, however, is simple to read, and use quickly. What I'm really getting at, is Manhattan's way is easier to use. Anyone can learn how to set up Powerscore's diagram, however the application of Powerscore's diagram is too complex. I find that if I have a conditional problem and I set it up using both methods, Manhattan's yields better results.

As always, my opinions are not facts, do what's best for you, etc. And if anyone has any better ideas/applications/combinations of Powerscore and Manhattan for the purposes of Conditional Grouping, I would be very interested to hear them.

Tagging in my posts for future reference. Should we use the word tip to make it easier to search for these once the thread gets big?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but as I am new here, I am not quite sure what you are asking. Yes I do know how to search, but I haven't searched within threads before. I'm guessing that you are saying to just head each comment with "Tip," then below, write whatever the tip is. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Yeah, just using a word in the post that we can all search for to find the relevant tips. I'm assuming everyone will have something to add at some point and that this thread will get big by june, so it just might be easy to use a keyword that we can search within this thread for. That plus the thread title. I don't know how to limit to a single thread. There's a phpBB manual somewhere that I haven't read yet.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:14 am

Daily_Double wrote:Updates and a Tip:

While I haven't completed a timed section yet, I just completed Manhattan's "Ridiculously Hard Sample Section," in 34 minutes, and scored 22/25. Considering two months ago, LG was my weakest section, I'm pretty happy with the results.

During the "Ridiculously Hard Sample Section," (p284-287), there was only one section where I had to choose between Powerscore's methods and Manhattan's, PT1, S2, G1, the six trade representatives at a circular table. I think it's easier, and more straightforward to use Powerscore's method of drawing diagonal lines, the end points of which represent a seat. So six seats = three lines. Manhattan used six short horizontal lines drawn in a circle to represent each seat, which was, in my opinion more awkward.

Just a tip. As always, do whatever works for you and good luck guys.

I did PT1, S2, G1 couple days ago, my approach for this game is just plug in, PS bible tend to draw all the inferences, some never worked for me, by now I am still trying to figure out the best way to balance drawing inferences and simply plugging in and eliminating the wrong answers. The latter one is very time consuming. And I digest the game way too crazy, I have to eliminate every wrong answers. I guess I need to follow my gut and cut down my minutes a little bit.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:15 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but as I am new here, I am not quite sure what you are asking. Yes I do know how to search, but I haven't searched within threads before. I'm guessing that you are saying to just head each comment with "Tip," then below, write whatever the tip is. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Yeah, just using a word in the post that we can all search for to find the relevant tips. I'm assuming everyone will have something to add at some point and that this thread will get big by june, so it just might be easy to use a keyword that we can search within this thread for. That plus the thread title. I don't know how to limit to a single thread. There's a phpBB manual somewhere that I haven't read yet.

Good point, maybe simply put Tip: blah blah blah will do?

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:03 am

crazyrobin wrote:Good point, maybe simply put Tip: blah blah blah will do?

Yes. Looks like a search with tip plus june pulls these last tips up.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:15 am

I did the 3D Modeling/Grouping chapter (ch.4) of Manhattan today and...man, those take me far longer than any of the other ones. Does anyone have any advice when it comes to these? Should I just find more problems like these and drill them?

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:37 am

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ricekrispies

Postby ricekrispies » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:14 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
ricekrispies wrote:I did the 3D Modeling/Grouping chapter (ch.4) of Manhattan today and...man, those take me far longer than any of the other ones. Does anyone have any advice when it comes to these? Should I just find more problems like these and drill them?

Many of those problems take longer to set up because the initial inferences control the game, so if you don't get these inferences, then you will be forced to resort to trial and error. Don't get discouraged, I'd say that 3D ordering and conditional grouping are the two most difficult topics, and once you you keep working at it, 3D ordering will come quickly, I can't say the same for conditional grouping because I still can't manage to finish one of these under ten minutes. My only additional suggestion would be to work through Powerscore's advanced linear games section and the Powerscore section that combines linear and grouping games.

Oh man I started Conditional Grouping last night. I totally thought I had it...and then I realized I forgot to diagram the contrapositive of one of the restrictions. -2 because of it -__-

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:15 pm

For page 49 of the Manhattan LR Guide 3rd edition, am I missing something or should there be a double arrow over "N" and "O" in the second frame of question 4? Thanks.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:For page 49 of the Manhattan LR Guide 3rd edition, am I missing something or should there be a double arrow over "N" and "O" in the second frame of question 4? Thanks.

I have the same edition of the same book and I don't don't see anything related to your question on page 49 of Manhattan's LR book, which is chapter 2: argument core.

I think you meant question four on page 49 of Manhattan's LG book, since this question involves frames and contains N and O. You are correct, manhattan should have included a double arrow above N and O, because there are no rules governing the placement of the NO/ON block, the two locations could be in any order so long as they are next to each other. Good catch.

Yeah, my fault, I meant LG. And cool, thanks for verifying

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:13 pm

Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

writingshihtzu

Postby writingshihtzu » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Hey everyone. Long time lurker here. Just wanted to join the June 2013 discussion as I'm just starting my prep.

I have PowerScore's Logic Games Bible and their Logical Reasoning Bible. I intend to have both read and reviewed several times by January 21st, 2013...at which point, I'll start with LSAT Blog's Five Month study guide. I'm excited to see what sort of improvement I may be able to make in that time. I'm sitting at a 159 right now...I'd like to be in the upper 160's consistently by May/June.

Good luck everyone!

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fips tedora

Postby fips tedora » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:22 am

crazyrobin wrote:
Daily_Double wrote:Updates and a Tip:

While I haven't completed a timed section yet, I just completed Manhattan's "Ridiculously Hard Sample Section," in 34 minutes, and scored 22/25. Considering two months ago, LG was my weakest section, I'm pretty happy with the results.

During the "Ridiculously Hard Sample Section," (p284-287), there was only one section where I had to choose between Powerscore's methods and Manhattan's, PT1, S2, G1, the six trade representatives at a circular table. I think it's easier, and more straightforward to use Powerscore's method of drawing diagonal lines, the end points of which represent a seat. So six seats = three lines. Manhattan used six short horizontal lines drawn in a circle to represent each seat, which was, in my opinion more awkward.

Just a tip. As always, do whatever works for you and good luck guys.

I did PT1, S2, G1 couple days ago, my approach for this game is just plug in, PS bible tend to draw all the inferences, some never worked for me, by now I am still trying to figure out the best way to balance drawing inferences and simply plugging in and eliminating the wrong answers. The latter one is very time consuming. And I digest the game way too crazy, I have to eliminate every wrong answers. I guess I need to follow my gut and cut down my minutes a little bit.

Honestly, I use Powerscore's diagramming for Games and it's pretty straightforward. I've read LGB twice so that's probably why I prefer it so much. I am thinking of committing to getting Manhattan for LR but I have drilled so much LR that I don't really think I need to purchase another guide, just drilling and timed sections. Manhattan RC is legit, though.

crazyrobin

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:07 am

MTH2 wrote:Honestly, I use Powerscore's diagramming for Games and it's pretty straightforward. I've read LGB twice so that's probably why I prefer it so much. I am thinking of committing to getting Manhattan for LR but I have drilled so much LR that I don't really think I need to purchase another guide, just drilling and timed sections. Manhattan RC is legit, though.

I have to admit I never read LGB thoroughly, but I think I need to go back to LGB and read it again. After 10 timed PT Game sectioms (5 weeks on Game), I still can't cut down my time significantly, it's time to go back to the fundamental diagramming. Thanks for the info :D

Legally Bleached

Postby Legally Bleached » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:01 pm

I have been lurking on the TLS Forums as a guest for a few weeks and am really glad this thread started!

Two of my classmates tried to tell me that I could have taken the December LSAT and had 'plenty of time to study'. This advice was given to me at the end of October :? and while I am sure some people could do it, I am glad I didn't make the mistake of rushing into it.

My goal is a obviously a 180 but I really need to score 170+ to get into a T-14 school with my 3.3 GPA, a few withdraws on my transcript, but at least decent softs.

So far the advice has been very helpful, I already have the SuperPrep but am getting the Bibles, 5month day by day study plan on LSATBlog, and Manhattan guides. I'm not totally sure how to approach the PT's but it seems that the guides and forums will provide the guidance for that.

bmore_md

Postby bmore_md » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:07 am

Checking in for this. I had a 156 diagnosis. Read through a few of the bibles and pushed it up to 167 after 2 practice tests. My goal is a 175 on exam day.

I'm gonna outline a schedule tomorrow and get to work. Mainly going to roll through practice tests and review them. Hopefully do 2 a week which be 45+ right? Anyone have any recommendations on when to do what tests? Obviously I will save the last 10 for the end and also need to save a few for the extra section which I will add the last month.

I'd be down for some group studying when we get closer to June if anyone else is interested.

CanILive

Postby CanILive » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:45 pm

I've been going over the Manhattan LR book.

I am really concentrating on the techniques in the book.

Being an English major I am pretty skilled at LR, but I feel that it will better serve me in the long run to formulate specific techniques to fall back on.

The problem I am running into is I know and answer is right, but I can't really say why.

/Rant

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:21 am

Haven't done much the past couple days. Task at hand right now is completing the Manhattan LG Guide - on page 92 right now, and if the first 92 pages is any indication, I'm going to go out on a limb and say this may be the new "LG Bible" of the future. A major upgrade from the 2nd edition.

I said I was going to a PT before January but that seems unlikely given I still have a lot to read in both guides. Aim is to finish up by the end of next week at the latest.

griffin.811

Postby griffin.811 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:35 am

Checking in. Figured I might as well. Planning to take in Feb., may or may not be ready by then, so I'll most likely be joing the team in June as well. Best of luck to everyone!

shieldofachilles

Postby shieldofachilles » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 pm

Checkin in...Im working strictly on LR for the next week or so. Ive been doing it somewhat methodically: chapter in Manhattan LR and then drill the question type (Cambridge LR bundle). Following day new chapter, drill yesterday's question type and new type questions. Continue this pattern with drilling like 40 questions of the new question type and doing ten from each question type already covered. Im on chapter 9 so it kind of sucks already going through like 100 questions a day. By the time I hit the last chapter I'm going to take the hardest questions from each question type and make two 25 question sections. Take the hardest 4 logic games and 4 hardest RC and make a full practice test of death. Curious to see how i score on the made up hard as shit PT.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”