JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby moopness » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:18 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?


take a test cold and see which section you need to work on (since you took the test already meaning you are somewhat familiar?) and see which question type. and study them like there's no tmr. look at the materials you had. research on what you might need? (i don't know what you have so i cannot give you concrete suggestions). go from there. welcome!


I have every test, the cambridge bundles, the powerscore books, the manhattan rc book (rc was a huge problem for me last time), and a few other materials. I think I'll do as you suggested and take a test in a couple days, though I'm likely to bomb it since it's been so long, meaning I'm probably gonna have to work on everything from the ground up again. If only I scored a few points better on the test I wouldn't have to deal with a retake, ugh. Thanks for the welcome!

Kool-Aid wrote:
moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?


NoodleyOne has a good guide for retakers under the TLS LSAT guides on this board. Other than that take a timed pt to see where you're at and go from there.

I'm retaking as well and just started going through the LR&LG Manhattan guides, drilling by type. I'm also completing a few RC passages a day. Good luck

That guide is pretty reassuring, thanks!

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:36 pm

moopness wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?


take a test cold and see which section you need to work on (since you took the test already meaning you are somewhat familiar?) and see which question type. and study them like there's no tmr. look at the materials you had. research on what you might need? (i don't know what you have so i cannot give you concrete suggestions). go from there. welcome!


I have every test, the cambridge bundles, the powerscore books, the manhattan rc book (rc was a huge problem for me last time), and a few other materials. I think I'll do as you suggested and take a test in a couple days, though I'm likely to bomb it since it's been so long, meaning I'm probably gonna have to work on everything from the ground up again. If only I scored a few points better on the test I wouldn't have to deal with a retake, ugh. Thanks for the welcome!


well you got everything then. for RC, you should check out Voyager's viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240 see if it helps. don't worry about bombing it. it just means motivation. :)

User avatar
Chambo
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Chambo » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:39 pm

@moopness

You will probably feel rusty, but you'd be surprised how quickly this stuff comes back to you, especially if you had it down well last time.

natashka85
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:29 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby natashka85 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm

Guys anyone here scoring above 170 wants to do mistake review w me twice a week ,i didnt feel comfortable on that manhattan chat u guys do ,its like i got to wait 7 min there till one of them comes back and talks,so i am suggesting to do mistake review on skype ,anyone volunteers?

User avatar
moopness
Posts: 310
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby moopness » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:45 pm

eliztudorr wrote:
moopness wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?


take a test cold and see which section you need to work on (since you took the test already meaning you are somewhat familiar?) and see which question type. and study them like there's no tmr. look at the materials you had. research on what you might need? (i don't know what you have so i cannot give you concrete suggestions). go from there. welcome!


I have every test, the cambridge bundles, the powerscore books, the manhattan rc book (rc was a huge problem for me last time), and a few other materials. I think I'll do as you suggested and take a test in a couple days, though I'm likely to bomb it since it's been so long, meaning I'm probably gonna have to work on everything from the ground up again. If only I scored a few points better on the test I wouldn't have to deal with a retake, ugh. Thanks for the welcome!


well you got everything then. for RC, you should check out Voyager's viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240 see if it helps. don't worry about bombing it. it just means motivation. :)

Wow that looks intense, I'm definitely gonna try that strat. Thanks! I had forgotten about all the guides that TLS has.
Chambo wrote:@moopness

You will probably feel rusty, but you'd be surprised how quickly this stuff comes back to you, especially if you had it down well last time.

God I hope so :D

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1749
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Cambridge LSAT website down for anyone else?

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:12 pm

No it's working.

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1749
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

crazyrobin wrote:No it's working.


Yeah, thanks — had to clear my cache.

User avatar
redecember
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby redecember » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm having a lot of trouble with Flaw questions, especially the Level 3 and 4's from the Cambridge bundles.. Can anyone tell me their approach to these questions or have any quick tips on how to improve?

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:07 pm

i keep having trouble with answer choice thats "too strong"..i don't seem to understand what that means. for instance this one im working on atm, its PT 49, LR2 #16.



i was able to come down to 2 answer choices (A) and (D)...and went with D in the end when the answer is A. (hate it when that happens)

this is not the first time i run into answer choices that are similar and end up picking the 'too strong' one...can someone explain it to me. thanks!
Last edited by eliztudorr on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Can't post, take it down. Just put PT#, S#, Q#

Haha, I forgot that I'd actually quote it.
Last edited by Daily_Double on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Daily_Double wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:i keep having trouble with answer choice thats "too strong"..i don't seem to understand what that means. for instance this one im working on atm, (am i allowed the post questions on? if not let me know and i will edit it) its PT 49, LR2 #16.

i was able to come down to 2 answer choices (A) and (D)...and went with D in the end when the answer is A. (hate it when that happens)


this is not the first time i run into answer choices that are similar and end up picking the 'too strong' one...can someone explain it to me. thanks!


Can't post, take it down. Just put PT#, S#, Q#


edited

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

moopness wrote:
eliztudorr wrote:
moopness wrote:Hey all, I'd like to check in too.
I last took the LSAT in October 2011, and haven't really looked at it since. I also haven't yet started studying for the June test (I was planning on starting next week). Anyone have an tips/suggestions as to how to approach this retake?

I have every test, the cambridge bundles, the powerscore books, the manhattan rc book (rc was a huge problem for me last time), and a few other materials. I think I'll do as you suggested and take a test in a couple days, though I'm likely to bomb it since it's been so long, meaning I'm probably gonna have to work on everything from the ground up again. If only I scored a few points better on the test I wouldn't have to deal with a retake, ugh. Thanks for the welcome!


I thought the same, after not looking at it since June 2011 a few months ago. Was surprised by how quickly it came back to me. On the initial PT, LG had major timing issues, and the other sections were rusty, but it comes back so quickly. Like... when you review the first PT or two there will be so many "oh yeaaaah" moments... and then you'll be pretty set to jump right back in :) 

User avatar
Fianna13
Posts: 297
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:05 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Fianna13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:47 pm

Officially checking in! Seems like everyone is so ahead already. Maybe I'm already too late.. :/ Oh well

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:49 pm

eliztudorr, I'd try to help you out on that question but I haven't taken that PT yet and I don't want to become familiar with a question in a specific PT before I take that PT. If you could give me more examples, from PT 41-7, I could give you more targeted advice. Although in general I'd say that the narrower the scope, excluding S/A, the better, assuming of course that the answer choice conforms to the terms and logic given in the question stem/passage.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am

weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

I want to try it.
:P
I am doing it now.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:10 am

crazyrobin wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

I want to try it.
:P
I am doing it now.


Let me know how it goes! If it does give you trouble, LSATBlog has a nice explanation... going through it now.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/di ... -lsat.html

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 am

redecember wrote:I'm having a lot of trouble with Flaw questions, especially the Level 3 and 4's from the Cambridge bundles.. Can anyone tell me their approach to these questions or have any quick tips on how to improve?


To begin with, Flaws are part of the assumption family, so upon reading the question stimulus you should first realize that a gap exists in the question stem. Now then, as a side note, I recommend you read, assuming you have not done so, the description of flaws presented in the LRB, because it describes all the flaws I have ever come across. Anyways, after reading the question stimulus, I move into the question stem and look for a gap, depending upon your familiarization with flaws, which is why I noted the description in the LRB, you should be able to see why the core does not necessarily follow from the supporting premises. There are a couple things which I are at the front of my list of flaws.

For me when I see conditional language in the conclusion, I first mentally eliminate the possibility of a MR or MN, usually its one or the other. If causation in the core, specifically if the core is worded in absolutes, then the correct answer will address the possibility of an alternative cause.

If neither conditional nor causation, then I think about mistaken analogies, formal logic or a misuse of percentages which would lead to a mistaken inference, source arguments, and circular reasoning. Now of course a couple things should stick out at you when reading the question stem, namely assumptions. When the core uses a different term than the premises, you should expect the correct answer to address this gap. The list goes on and on, and the process I mentioned above depends entirely upon the language in the question stem and takes place very quickly in my head and by no means is exhaustive, you just gotta drill them to recognize the gaps and then correctly identify the flaws quickly and consistently. Once you do, like all LR questions, you'll become more confident in your selected answer and be able to pull the trigger and move on more quickly.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:12 am

weathercoins wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

I want to try it.
:P
I am doing it now.


Let me know how it goes! If it does give you trouble, LSATBlog has a nice explanation... going through it now.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/di ... -lsat.html


Is it sad that I want to join in just for the fun? I won't let myself, but still, I want the challenge.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:20 am

Daily_Double wrote:
weathercoins wrote:
crazyrobin wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

I want to try it.
:P
I am doing it now.


Let me know how it goes! If it does give you trouble, LSATBlog has a nice explanation... going through it now.

http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/di ... -lsat.html


Is it sad that I want to join in just for the fun? I won't let myself, but still, I want the challenge.


:). I did do it on the computer (no printer at home), so that took a bit extra time (to write out ABCDE on the questions that needed it, got a bit confused having to keep looking back and forth). But still... would have probably taken 18 mins or so if I had paper, and 2 wrong on it. I see why this game is infamous..

User avatar
crazyrobin
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby crazyrobin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 am

weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

Didn't mean to humblebrag just did it, 8 min ( 8:03 more precisely ) -0.
Shoot me with any questions.

Daily_Double
Posts: 1035
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby Daily_Double » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 am

crazyrobin wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

Didn't mean to humblebrag just did it, 8 min -0.
Shoot me with any questions.


Solid work. Although now I really want to do it, and I'm surrounded at my desk by every PT. It's so close. But no. I feel like a fat kid on a strict diet at a buffet.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby wtrc » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 am

crazyrobin wrote:
weathercoins wrote:Just did the mauve dinosaur game for "fun." Took me 20 minutes and I still only got 4 right out of 6. Jeez.

Didn't mean to humblebrag just did it, 8 min ( 8:03 more precisely ) -0.
Shoot me with any questions.


That's great! Did you use templates?

User avatar
eliztudorr
Posts: 187
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: JUNE 2013 Study Group / Study Partner Thread

Postby eliztudorr » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 am

Daily_Double wrote:eliztudorr, I'd try to help you out on that question but I haven't taken that PT yet and I don't want to become familiar with a question in a specific PT before I take that PT. If you could give me more examples, from PT 41-7, I could give you more targeted advice. Although in general I'd say that the narrower the scope, excluding S/A, the better, assuming of course that the answer choice conforms to the terms and logic given in the question stem/passage.


ohh i will keep that in mind from now on :) thanks!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], dontsaywhatyoumean, Instrumental and 4 guests